Start by marking “Step by Wicked Step” as Want to Read:
Step by Wicked Step

Step by Wicked Step

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  271 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
On a wild and stormy night, five students are sent ahead on a school trip. Gathered together in a spooky mansion, they find a secret room and a mysterious old diary. Little do they know that they share a common bond--they are all members of stepfamilies. and each person reveals his story, step-by-step.
Published June 9th 1997 by Yearling (first published January 2nd 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Step by Wicked Step, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Step by Wicked Step

Xi Wen
Aug 20, 2015 Xi Wen rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No One
Recommended to Xi Wen by: Malaysia's English Syllabus
This book is bland and boring to read. The story isn't convincing or captivating at all, there are little descriptions of the places they are in. This book lacks detail. The characters are so unreal, they are very miserable and depressed, their stories are so confusingly stupid and they would still argue and judge another's decisions. The author made no attempt to write a good book. Fictional works are supposed to teach and entertain readers, I learned that there are wicked books with zombified ...more
Suraya Nordin
Mar 22, 2013 Suraya Nordin rated it liked it
This book is one of the literature component for secondary school in Malaysia. Although I'm not using it in my school, at least as a teacher I should know the story. Therefore, I read it. In my opinion, this novel aren't not the best among those novels assingn for form 5 but it wasn't the worst. Its quite interesting but I think students in my school will not be able to imagine the setting in this novel. If we are going to do it, teachers have to show them using teaching aids like pictures and v ...more
Jessy Sone
Aug 25, 2014 Jessy Sone rated it did not like it
This book is currently used as a compulsory literature component in my country and I was so frustrated reading it, I slammed it on the wall thrice and was constantly tempted by the act of setting fire to this stupid book.

The characters were so messed up and miserable it made me depressed reading it too. I'd be feeling more content if the Ministry of Education had made us read The Phantom of the Opera or something else, but this! God, that was awful. If you're a 17-year-old Malaysian studying th
Widad Oteh
Dec 14, 2015 Widad Oteh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was compulsory reading for my class so I read it while I was babysitting my siblings at a convention. There I was, pushing a pram down an aisle of shop stands, quietly bawling my eyes out.

Simply written yet full of depth and character, this book was written as a story to relate to. If you didn't like this book, chances were it was because none of the stories spoke to you, which is - I mean, good for you, you've probably had a decent family life. If you did relate to this book in some
scarlettraces
Feb 05, 2013 scarlettraces rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, for-the-kids
i tend to prefer Fine's adult novels (because when not writing for children you can let rip with the amoral and the nasty, and you don't have to include a moral) but i always enjoy the comedy in her children's books. which is to say that i liked Ralph's story the most, with the labelled lunchboxes and the subversive (third) stepmother. but its portmanteau design means there's something for everyone.
Chindian
Jun 26, 2014 Chindian rated it it was ok
It was really good for a children's book actually. I just think it could've gone further than that. The story could've been elaborated more. The ending just didn't feel complete. I mean i wanna know what happened to those kids damn it! No closure. Nothing. It had potential though. I sort of fell in love with Ralph's story!
Joanne Hong
Feb 26, 2015 Joanne Hong rated it really liked it
3 years ago, I used to share a class with the 17 year-olds in my school.

One day, when I decided to rummage through the locker in my desk, I found a book called "step by wicked step". Being the busybody that I was, I decided to read that book during my free time. It took me about 2 days to finish that book as I couldn't take it home with me because it wasn't mine.

I remember thinking that it was a good book.

Fast forward to this year, I found out that the students at my school used to read "the p
Sharon Teo
Dec 12, 2015 Sharon Teo rated it liked it
Ines
Jun 01, 2014 Ines rated it really liked it
I very much enjoyed this book because I really connected with each of the characters, without getting swamped with too much information and too many stories at once - Anne Fine managed to clearly explain each of the children's stories. I also liked the balance of genres in this short book; there was a bit of horror and spookiness, some comedy (especially with Ralph's story) and a few passages which saddened the heart. In all, I would recommend this book to any level of reader and know that they ...more
Jacey
Nov 17, 2015 Jacey rated it liked it
I actually did really enjoy this book. It was my school's literature read for my year of students and despite it being depressing at some points if the story, I did really enjoy the fun bits as well. It was nice to see 6 different stories based on children with broken families and to be able to go through the many different emotions that they experienced.
Julia
Aug 24, 2014 Julia rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: None
All in all, this book was okay. I was hoping this would have been more of a mystery book, but it proved me wrong. Truth be told, I was anticipating something more interesting the whole time, but before I knew it, the book was over and I felt like my time was wasted.
Adriana
May 08, 2014 Adriana rated it really liked it
Step by Wicked Step is my school literature component & to be really honest, this is the second best literature book I've read in my 5 years in high school (the best was The Boscombe Valley Mystery) I really enjoyed it! Good job, Anne Fine
Izzah Sanox
May 05, 2014 Izzah Sanox rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
Okay, this book is my school literature novel. I'm always sceptical of my school literature (like last year's How I Met Myself ugh) but this book, Step by Wicked Step was good. Like seriously. Well done school, well done.
Ayla
Sep 19, 2012 Ayla rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Six main characters, Richard, Claudia, Pixie, Robbo, Colin and Ralph came from broken homes, and the book revolves around the kids upon solving ways they solved their family relationship problems. Except Richard of course, who at first props me with a lot of questions about his link to the five kids besides having a broken family, and my questions are still not resolved.

What annoys me was that there was never a proper conclusion to this book. Like what was the real reason the kids are categorize
Sarah See
Mar 03, 2014 Sarah See rated it did not like it
This books was used in the curriculum of my country for 17 year olds. For gods sake. This book was torture.
WeeWaa13
May 28, 2015 WeeWaa13 rated it really liked it
It was a little sad and it didn't really have anything to do with wickedness but it was really well written.
CekMoNSter
Sep 11, 2015 CekMoNSter rated it really liked it
Reminded me of a mild version of Roald Dahl's adult storytelling.
Katy
Apr 16, 2016 Katy rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens-books
Not as good as flour babies
Gwen
Jan 01, 2012 Gwen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a short read and it's suitable for children . In my opinion,it's very simple and short . Each child has his or her own stories of stepfather , stepmother,stepsister etc ... It would be a great book for children . There aren't any climax or exciting events , but I still like it . I actually expected it to be adventurous and haunting as the children discovered a secret chamber (sort of) .The book would be more interesting if the author elaborated on Richard Harwick .
Melusine Parry
I have very good memories of this.
Winifred
The school trip to old hardwick hall is ready to start and Miss O'dell picks 5 pupils names from a special column to fill the overflow minibus. The children all have a second telephone number in case of an emergency. During the night at the hall each child tells their story. They all have a step parent. One person tells a story but everyone says its really his sisters story.
Ashley
Apr 20, 2016 Ashley rated it it was ok
Shelves: british-read
I studied this novel back in my final year in secondary school. It is not an outstanding book that would make a secondary school student love literature. The language used is simple and plain, nothing captivating at all. It's a young adult novel about how five schoolchildren have managed to cope in their broken families. Overall, plain book.
Airaology
May 15, 2011 Airaology rated it liked it
Shelves: buh-boring
I have to read this for my english class and although I find the topic about the book a tad weird (it's about 5 children on a field trip with one similarity: broken homes) It's a fast read and I actually enjoyed it. Makes you really wonder, if you were stuck between crosswords what would you have done? Run away or stay and fight.
Natalia
Dec 08, 2011 Natalia rated it really liked it
I got that book when I was 7 years old. now that I'm 21 years old, I still find myself reading it, it comforts me. It's a good book for a child. Perhaps I gave it such a good rating because I feel emotionally attached to it.

The diary entries are the reason why I love that book. The rest of the content is crap.
Mesrure
Mar 15, 2009 Mesrure rated it it was amazing
I can easily say, that despite it being so short and the fact that I usually don't like Anne Fine's books this is one of my utmost favourite books. The stories and the characters in this book just stuck with me for some reason, and I really loved it when I first read it years ago.
Leisha
That was a sweet and heartbreaking little read! I really enjoyed reading these little stories about the difficulties of patch-work families! The only thing I would want to criticise is that for me, there was no real end or closure to the story and I feel a little left hanging...
A.M.E.
May 03, 2011 A.M.E. rated it liked it
Another book that I remember reading in elementary school. I remember liking it well enough but not enough to give me a wow factor.
Emily
Jan 15, 2014 Emily rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
A very interesting story but the ending just didn't make a good impression, if it was longer, maybe I would have liked it even better!
Marcia Lee
Jul 14, 2013 Marcia Lee rated it really liked it
Eerie to me as a kid, but an excellent read because I really sympathised with the characters and hated the terrible adults.
Ary Nilandari
warmhearted, funny, and sad stories about all kind of step- (mother, father, brother, or sister)
Step by Wicked Step, by Anne Fine 1 6 Apr 17, 2011 10:01PM
  • When the Sirens Wailed
  • The Witch's Daughter
  • The Little King December
  • Minnow on the Say
  • More Adventures on Willow Farm
  • Bilingual: Life and Reality
  • Julia's Story (Quantock Quartet, #3)
  • The Bridge in the Clouds (The Magician's House Quartet, #4)
  • The Love Curse of the Rumbaughs
  • Mennyms Alive (Mennyms, #5)
  • Libby on Wednesday
  • The Family from One End Street: And Some of Their Adventures
  • Clover (Carr Family, #4)
  • The Prime Minister's Brain
  • Sylvie and Bruno Concluded
  • William the Outlaw (Just William, #7)
Though readers often find themselves inadvertently laughing aloud as they read Anne Fine's novels, as she herself admits, "a lot of my work, even for fairly young readers, raises serious social issues. Growing up is a long and confusing business. I try to show that the battle through the chaos is worthwhile and can, at times, be seen as very funny." In 1994, this unique combination of humour and r ...more
More about Anne Fine...