Start by marking “Homesteading in the 21st Century: How One Family Created a More Sustainable, Self-Sufficient, and Satisfying Life” as Want to Read:

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Not since Thoreau made his home in the woods at Walden Pond has the notion of self-sufficiency held more universal appeal. There’s no question we’re going through some tough economic times, but this book offers an alternative. It’s a guide for anyone who imagines a better life—from struggling families tired of energy dependency to dreamers who always wished they could live ...more
Published May 3rd 2011 by Taunton Press

To ask other readers questions about Homesteading in the 21st Century, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Homesteading in the 21st Century

Ami
This book is a very large book covering many topics about homesteading and mini-farming.

Things I liked: I liked how the authors included a section of picking a homestead site. None of the books I've read covered this subject. I also enjoyed how after the authors would discuss areas such as gardening or livestock, they would break it down for Urban sites, Suburban sites, or Mini-farming areas. This re-enforces the idea that you do not need 5 acres of land to homestead.

Things I didn't like: I did
Didi Delighted
I am about 2/3 of my way through this book, and I am thoroughly enjoying it. The authors (a married couple) compiled this book after thirty-some years of experiencing the ups and downs of homesteading on a 68 acre plot in Vermont. Yes, you can find much of this information in many other books, however, this book offers plenty of insight (and even a little humor) based on decades of experience. I like the humor, the looking back, and even the bits where the author/s admit to making mistakes.
In pa
Jennie
Many interesting ideas. Many parts were more in depth than what I am interested in but a good go to if I decide it bite the bullet.
Lani
I'm just beginning my research - this was my first book on homesteading, so for me was very helpful. I thought it gave a good overview of various aspects to consider - some sobering (which is good), and some really elementary. It is not a step-by-step guide, but I do feel as though I have a good sense of which areas I need to explore more, and even if I don't know all the answers, at least know what questions I should be asking.
Beth
Jun 13, 2011 Beth marked it as bored-now
While informative, it does repeat the same information one can find elsewhere. Otherwise, it is clearly written and quite frank about the pros and cons of growing food and raising animals for meat. I just didn't find it particularly inspiring.
Jessica
Great conversational read. I love how they took into account how often certain subjects are repeated within this genre, and discussed things in a broader way. There was nothing I felt I needed to skim over.
Rebecca Dipti
My dream... 5-10 year plan is to get back to the land.
Feel done with city life. Looking forward to breathing fresh air and growing vegetables again!
Melissa Amaral
Great book loaded with useful information for homesteading in any type of situation.
Shelby *wants some flying monkeys*
One of the better Homesteading books in my opinion.
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Manda
Manda marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Myra
Myra added it
Feb 22, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Melissa Goldsworthy
Melissa Goldsworthy is currently reading it
Dec 09, 2014
Justine Sefton
Justine Sefton marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Tess Votto Haranda
Tess Votto Haranda marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Tana
Tana marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Littleibu
Littleibu marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Emily
Emily added it
Jul 14, 2014
Sadie
Sadie added it
Aug 13, 2014
Cinnamongurl
Cinnamongurl is currently reading it
Jun 07, 2014
Ashlei
Ashlei marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Lauren Flesher
Lauren Flesher marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Renovating Old Houses: Bringing New Life to Vintage Homes Do-It-Yourself Housebuilding: The Complete Handbook Wooden Fences Old Houses, a Rebuilder's Manual (A Spectrum book)