Start by marking “You Can Draw in 30 Days: The Fun, Easy Way to Learn to Draw in One Month or Less” as Want to Read:
Preview

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  327 ratings  ·  30 reviews
From public televisionOCOs favorite drawing teacher, a quick, easy, and entertaining drawing method"
Published January 1st 2011 by Da Capo Lifelong Books (first published May 4th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about You Can Draw in 30 Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Can Draw in 30 Days

Shawn
This was my first "how to draw" book. Before using this book I could draw stick figures and ugly junk. After these 30 lessons I've drawn things that amaze me! This book boosted me well up in drawing options. Not via secrets or weird rituals though. Instead by simply explaining the fundamentals then providing accessible exercises to get the explanation into your memory. I flipped through several books in the "how-to draw" section and thought this one was the most clear and accessible. Plus, Mark' ...more
Atul
Are you a beginner who is tired of making sloppy stick man and weird houses? Do you think you can never learn to draw in your life? Do you wish you could make something better than a man consisting of one circle and some lines?

Go no further my friends. This book is the only book you need to change your destiny.

In one sentence, this book is a simple, easy, step-by-step guide that teaches you to draw from simple cube and spheres to a realistic eye and a gorgeous women; in 30 days.

I am extremely
Annabella Crafts
A few months ago I suddenly sparked an interest in drawing. I tried but I didn't know where to start so for Christmas I got this book along with a crap load of other art supplies. This book is great for a beginning but if you want to just buy one book and know a huge genera of topics, this isn't quite for you. It does have good details on cubes, spheres ect but not to much variety. Wasn't much of a problem for me but I do need to buy more drawing books. For this book, the student examples and th ...more
Jeanne-Erin
Terrible book. even the sample drawings are not good. The idea of the book is to give you shorthand for drawing, not teach you how to draw from what you see. Which is fine, if that is what you want, but some of the shorthand is wrong, placing a shadow between two objects (he does this with spheres and continues it) for example. In most instances there is a LIGHTER area between two spheres. So his drawing look really off. Then he shows planets and gets the shadows all wrong for where the light so ...more
John Glover
I've just started working my way through this book for the second time. The book does a remarkable job of distilling what people have discovered about representing the 3-dimensional world on a 2-dimensional piece of paper into 30 well graded and structured lessons. I really can't find any faults - except that there doesn't appear to be a follow on book to take the budding artist to the next level.
If anyone knows of a book of this quality for figure/portrait drawing then please let me know.
Anke
This is quite nice - it got me using my sketchbook again, which was my goal.
It has 30 chapters that build on each other and introduce drawing concepts in an approachable way.

Two things I didn't like: The tone is a bit too... American? for me - the author constantly says things like "this is AWESOME and you will LOVE it and will keep drawing circles ALL THE TIME because they are so FUN!!", and I found myself skipping those lines because they have the opposite effect on me. But if you leave out
Brett Anderson
30 drawing lessons that build well on the previous. It had been about a decade since I had done much of any sketching so this was a good refresher. The lessons will definitely start to take more than the 20 min advertised by midway through. I did about 23 lessons in 25 days and then let the rest drag out over a number of weeks.
Martie Last
The book has some fun exercises that show basic tricks for drawing. However, it lacks a depth of explanations of fundamental or foundational drawing skills. It serves a purpose as an entertaining launch pad to improve drawing.
Marc
I picked up this book because I wanted to learn to draw of course. I have an idea for a webcomic and I don't know any non-flaky artists. I'm digressing. So I wanted to learn how to draw but sadly, I didn't finish the book's lessons even though I was only 10 lessons away.

The book did not lie. It made drawing easy and fun and I almost did it in 30 days. I think the biggest thing the book did was trying to change the noob (me!) mindset. Drawing isn't just a gift and you can train your eye correctly
Andy
3.5 stars - This is the first book I've used since becoming determined to draw again for the first time in 35 years and as an introduction (or re-introduction), it's pretty good. You'll spend a lot of time working on squares, spheres, etc. but not very much on the human face or anatomy - other subjects for other books. Still, this was a good book for me to use to get back into drawing.
Theo Karner
First some background, I have no experience or training (including any sort of short courses) in drawing; I picked this book for this very reason. I was looking for a book that would teach me the basics and not just give me examples to copy with no explanation or show me artists work that I couldn't possibly reproduce at my current skill level. This book was exactly what I was looking for.

Mark Kistler's easy going and confidence inducing style was encouraging throughout the book and he introduce
Jeff
I wanted this book as a refresher for drawing techniques I had long forgotten. I really enjoyed the way Mark presented the material. He gave it in nice lessons with a new drawing to work on. I can now sketch again. I highly recommend for anyone brand new to sketching or someone like me who hasn't drawn in years.
Jo Ladzinski
This book was fun. I did drawing for once a day as the book prescribed and what's interesting is that I did find myself improving in art that was outside the designated 20-minute drawing sessions. It seems great for beginners or people who haven't had any proper training in a few years.
Roland
This is probably the only drawing book I've seen that introduces the fundamentals in the type of increments that lead to understanding them, instead of just cramming everything in a chapter that you'll just skim. This book takes you step by step through simple drawings, and then introduces the concepts while you're doing them. This is clearly a book for people who can't draw and are taking it up as a hobby, but if you're new to drawing then this is the book to start with. Probably the only book ...more
Michael Romanov
Good book to start drawing with. Good for illustrators. The very very basic steps.
Kaye Dewar
Kistler knows how to break tasks down for learners.
Linda
This was a very fun book, and I was sad that there weren't more lessons. I used this book in a 30 day challenge so I did one lesson a day, and it really was easy to follow. I am now drawing all over my notes at work and sketching on napkins and other scrap papers. I really recommend it for people who are real beginners as I am.
Ahmad Shadeed
This book brought me back to the days of childhood, each lesson of this book has a memories with me. I advise each person who want to draw to read it, and believe me you will be happy by the end. The writer way of teaching is wonderful, it's makes you smile sometimes! :)
James Heiney
This is a great book for those who want to draw and don't know where to start. The book covers basics and moves on to more advanced lessons. The instruction covers important art concepts in an entertaining way. You'll be drawing from the first lesson and improving with each one as long as you practice.

You'll eventually have to learn to apply these methods to drawing things that you see around you, but for a starter book on drawing, you can't go wrong with this one.
Audrey
Great step by step guide to drawing realistically. Good for learning spheres and cubes, and other drawing that stem from that. Wish the author went into more depth on drawing humans, but I guess that's for another book. This is a great start to drawing, and I like how the author separates it into daily lessons.
Vidit Bhargava
Quite effective and a very quick way to learn some 3D drawing basics!
Suezq
This is a great book for a beginner or anyone who wants quick, simple instruction on how to draw.
Federico Raue
I feel confident that I could some how "draw" after this book. The transition was smooth from somebody who can not draw to somebody can draw. I totally recommend this book for any beginner. You just need a pencil and a sketchbook book
Lorrie
Fun, practical, doable. It is the basics laid out as they should be. Step-by-step pictures and challenges for anyone up for a little extra drawing. I have a lot (a LOT!) of drawing books and this one is one always at my studio desk.
Helen
This is a wonderful introduction to drawing, introducing perspective, 3D techniques, uses of shading and so on in a very used friendly way.
Claudia
I can draw now after reading this book. I took 2 months instead of the 30 days Mr. Kistler promises, but that is my own fault. Still not bad.
Pasi
Lots of work to go through all the lessons and bonus challenges but totally worth it. This is the best hands-on drawing book I have read.
lisa
Jul 06, 2012 lisa is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, mine-mine-mine
it's been so long (a whole YEAR) since i taught myself a useless skill, so i am giving this a try!
Lastoadri
Somewhat boring, and very basic. Don't waste your time.
Amanda
Simple and formulaic, suitable for children
  • Picture This: How Pictures Work
  • Sketch Book for the Artist
  • How to Draw What You See
  • Secrets to Drawing Realistic Faces
  • The Complete Book of Drawing: Essential Skills for Every Artist
  • Vector Basic Training: A Systematic Creative Process for Building Precision Vector Artwork (Voices That Matter)
  • Technical Drawing (13th Edition)
  • Logo Design Love: A Guide to Creating Iconic Brand Identities
  • Perspective Made Easy
  • Adobe Photoshop CS5 Classroom in a Book (Classroom in a Book (Adobe))
  • Drawing and Painting Fantasy Landscapes and Cityscapes
  • How to Draw Anything
  • Color Drawing: Design Drawing Skills and Techniques for Architects, Landscape Architects, and Interior Designers
  • Manga for the Beginner: Everything you Need to Start Drawing Right Away!
Mark Kistler teaches art. He has run thousands of elementary school workshops, written art books, and starred in the public television series The Secret City, The Draw Squad, The New Secret City Adventures, and the Emmy-Award-winning Imagination Station, all teaching art.

[author photo credit: Lois Bernstein]
More about Mark Kistler...
Mark Kistler's Draw Squad Drawing in 3-D with Mark Kistler: Drawing in 3-D with Mark Kistler Mark Kistler's Imagination Station: Learn How to Drawn in 3-D with Public Television's Favorite Drawing Teacher Drawing in 3-D Wacky Workbook Dare To Draw In 3-D #3: Crazy Characters