Start by marking “Me and My Shadows: A Family Memoir” as Want to Read:
Me and My Shadows: A Family Memoir

Me and My Shadows: A Family Memoir

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  257 ratings  ·  29 reviews
The question follows Lorna Luft to this day: "What's it like to be Dorothy's daughter?" Although by appearances glamorous and truly thrilling, growing up as the daughter of Judy Garland was anything but a journey over the rainbow.
With unsparing candor, Lorna Luft offers the first-ever insider portrait of one of Hollywood's most celebrated families: a rare story of a litt
Published April 1st 1999 by Gallery Books (first published April 24th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Me and My Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Me and My Shadows

Ivy
I think it takes a lot of courage to write a book about your own life especially when you come from a family of celebrities. Lorna Luft is getting the same flack that Christina Crawford got because she wrote about her experiences and people don't like that because it means having to see their idols as human and not as the Hollywood gods or godesses they prefer.
This book made me laugh and cry, and it made me angry too, but not because she "badmouths" her mother. It made me angry to see a beautif
Laure Porché
Dec 14, 2014 Laure Porché rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Laure by: Heather
A compelling read for anyone who likes Judy Garland, the book is both heartbreaking and funny, and most of all brims with a love for life and joy, and for each other, that transcend the page.
This was interesting enough, with a lot of insight into Judy Garland's spiral at the end of her life. I think Lorna did a good job of portraying what she went through without demonizing Garland; she says numerous times that her mother was under the oppression of pill addiction and that the disease was not her fault or something she could control at the end. She also says many times how much she loved her mother and knew that her mother loved her. So it is not in any way comparable to the books w ...more
Lynn Roehm
I read this book when it first came out in '98, but wanted to read it again, as my book club is reading about famous women this month. I'm really glad I decided to reread it. Luft tells the raw, sometimes shocking, but always loving account of growing up as the daughter of Judy Garland. Despite all the chaos of being caretaker to her drug dependent mother, Lorna has written a book that shows us the humor, intelligence, and love of her mother. The second part of the book is truly insightful as Lo ...more
Bronwyn
this is the story of lorna lufts life as the little sister of liza minelli, and her life with her sister and their lives as the daughters of the late judy garland before and after their mothers tragic untimely death
Alycia
Sid Luft the saint. Give me a break.
Sherri Stephens
Who doesn't love Judy Garland? This book is written by her daughter who shows us what it was like to have her as a mother. It was a very defensive book explaining why she and her brother weren't living with her mother at the time of her death and also defended her father and his actions. She continually defended his money situation, attitude towards her mother, and the abuse allegations. No one is perfect lest of all someone who starts so early in show business but also at a time when child acto ...more
I thoroughly enjoyed this book because it was a family biography about Judy Garland, written by her daughter Lorna Luft. I have always been a huge fan of The Wizard of Oz, so obtaining this book was a cult-classic-type action for me to take.

The first half of the book detailed Lorna's childhood and her responsibilities as far as dealing with and taking care of her mother. The book really shed light and put to rest rumors around Judy Garland's addictions, behavior, and personality. The second half
Melinda
I never knew that Judy Garland had children besides Liza Minnelli. She had two children with Sid Luft, Lorna and Joe. This is the first book written about Judy Garland by one of her family members, and as such, it is worth reading.

Lorna gives a loving but honest telling of her mother's family background, her (Lorna's) own family situation, and then her adult years as a singer and actress in her own right after the death of her mother. A couple of things that were noteworthy for me. First, Lorna
Kristopher D Michaels
This a an incredible book that more than sets the records straight about life with Judy. I really had a hard time putting it down. She made me laugh, cry, laugh again. Full of horror stories of living with an addictive parent but also there is love and respect here too. My mother was addicted to pills also and I could relate to her story. Full of honest stories about her own demons. This is a must read for any fan of anyone in her family or her.
Dana
Well... the jury is really out on this book. It's interesting but I have a feeling that I could get much more detail and see fewer instances of important information being brushed by in another book. This is NOT a biography of Judy Garland, it's more a biography of Lorna Luft, her daughter. Skip the book and watch the TV Miniseries. It was awesome. Was going to read: Get Happy: The life of Judy Garland next but I'm kind or tired of the subject for now though I think it's going to be a more satis ...more
Lesley Strom
I really enjoyed this book. I've always been a fan of Judy Garland and thought that it would be interesting to read about Judy's daughter. I thought probably she would speak a little about Judy but she devoted the entire first half of her book speaking about Judy's life. I learned so much about Judy which makes me love her even more...however it was also pretty cool to learn about Lorna and her sister, Liza Minelli...
Really glad I read this and can't wait to watch some of Judy's old movies she m
Amy
I'm exactly sure why I wanted to read this book because I'm not a big fan of Lorna's. I think I was hoping to learn more about why so many people love Judy Garland. The writing was just OK - she used the phrase "all hell broke loose" about 20 times throughout. I wonder if she uses this phrase a lot in real life. I did enjoy her stories about her early days on the road doing her nightclub acts.
Krista

If I could give this book 10 stars I would. One of the best books I have ever read. You get the inside scoop on who the Garlands are and all rumors of the family are put to rest. A truly inspiring story about love, family, and addiction. I could hardly put it down of you love Judy Garland, Liza Minnelli, Lorna Luft or anyone involved with the Garlands you have to read this book.
Jamie Jones
Everyone is familiar with who Judy Garland is. There are many biographies written about her but this one stands out because it is written by her youngest daughter. It is a truthful and interesting biography about her mother. Many of the stories are surprising and very sad. Judy's entire situation was incredibly sad. She was such a great talent and the studio system ruined her for life.
Christine
This is from my period of obsession with the utterly fascinating Judy Garland. More satisfying to my thirst for all things Judy than this book or Get Happy was watching American Master's Judy Garland: By Myself on PBS or the TV movie version of Me and My Shadows for a more melodramatic good time. I don't know if it is kosher to tell people to watch TV on a book recommendation website ...
Poly Styrene
Someone described this as a loving "Mommie Dearest." There have been so many books written about Judy Garland and this one at least comes from a knowledgeable source. Overall, it's a pretty depressing account of what it's like to grow up with a drug addicted mom. It's sad because you know how it's going to end.
Mary Newcomb
She has her work cut out for her, trying to live a sober and responsible life given her experiences and family situation. I'm guessing that some mentioned in this book are not very happy with her for including them.

Jeanettedianne simkins
I have always been fascinated with Judy garland and found this book, written by her daughter, to be very informative and insightful. A very sad story...for not only Judy but the children she left behind.
Quick
Yes, another Garland book. But this one is written by her own daughter. A very truthful look into their lives. Amazing book. One that I've read over quite a few times.
Evett DiBianco
Who knew that Judy Garland had another daughter other than Liza Manelli? Terrific book on the inside details of Judy Garlands life.
Malea M
This looks promising - good book, I had no idea she was Judy Garland's daughter.
Amber
Very insightful view into the life of Judy Garland and her daughter Lorna Luft.
Tara
Read it a long time ago, but I think I really liked it.
Anne Marshall
Very enlightening tale by Judy Garland's daughter
Camialder
Just finished. LOVED IT!!!
Maybama02 Carroll
AN ALL-TIME FAVORITE
Jason
Jul 19, 2013 Jason added it
Loved it!!
Nehad
Nehad is currently reading it
Jan 26, 2015
  • Judy
  • Dream Lovers: The Magnificent Shattered Lives of Bobby Darin and Sandra Dee - by Their Son Dodd Darin
  • Get Happy: The Life of Judy Garland
  • Rat Pack Confidential: Frank, Dean, Sammy, Peter, Joey and the Last Great Show Biz Party
  • The Girl Who Walked Home Alone: A Personal Biography of Bette Davis
  • Child Star
  • The Making of the Wizard of Oz: Movie Magic and Studio Power in the Prime of MGM
  • Memories Are Made of This: Dean Martin Through His Daughter's Eyes
  • Hollywood Babylon II
  • Bette and Joan: The Divine Feud
  • The Golden Girls of MGM: Greta Garbo, Joan Crawford, Lana Turner, Judy Garland, Ava Gardner, Grace Kelly, and Others
  • My Wicked, Wicked Ways
  • If This Was Happiness: A Biography of Rita Hayworth
  • The Hollywood Book of Death: The Bizarre, Often Sordid, Passings of More than 125 American Movie and TV Idols: The Bizarre, Often Sordid, Passings of Over 125 American Movie and TV Idols
  • Pickford: The Woman Who Made Hollywood
  • Ava: My Story
  • Elizabeth Taylor
  • Hot Toddy: The True Story of Hollywood's Most Sensational Murder
Lorna Luft is an American television, stage and film actress and singer. She is the daughter of the singer/actress Judy Garland and Sidney Luft who was Garland's third husband and manager. She is the half-sister of Liza Minnelli.

Lorna Luft lives in Beverly Hills with her husband, musician Colin R. Freeman, and her two children from her first marriage to musician and artist manager Jake Hooker. Her
More about Lorna Luft...
Me and My Shadows: Life with Judy Garland Me and My Shadows: Living with the Legacy of Judy Garland Me and My Shadows Display Me and My Shadows: A Family Memoir Me and My Shadows: A Family Memoir