Start by marking “Heart of Darkness and the Congo Diary” as Want to Read:
Heart of Darkness and the Congo Diary

Heart of Darkness and the Congo Diary

3.25 of 5 stars 3.25  ·  rating details  ·  154 ratings  ·  13 reviews

Marlow, a seaman and wanderer, recounts his physical and psychological journey in search of the infamous ivory trader Kurtz. Traveling up river to the heart of the African continent, he gradually becomes obsessed by this enigmatic, wraith-like figure. A haunting and hugely influential Modernist masterpiece, Heart of Darkness explores the limits of human experience as well

Published October 7th 2008 by Penguin Group (USA) Incorporated (first published 1899)

To ask other readers questions about Heart of Darkness and the Congo Diary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heart of Darkness and the Congo Diary

Bonnie
"The horror! The horror!"
Michele Crimson
This book is listed as a classic. The only way I would apply that word to it is that it is a disaster of classic proportions. This book was a requirement for my British Lit class and I think my instructor must dislike teaching and students. Reading it felt like punishment; it was painful. All the reviews about the morality and symbolism of it make me wonder what they were reading. 46 uses of the word black in 113 pages, 46 uses of the word white in 113 pages. 25 uses of the word darkness, quotat ...more
Dillwynia Peter
I have read most of Conrad's works now & have always been apprehensive over Heart of Darkness. Lauded by many, I didn't want my Conrad discovery to be over once this was read. However, I have matured to overcome my apprehension & in one way, I waited to the right time.

What an exciting time the end of the 19th century & the start of the 20th was in literature. The broad canvas Victorian novel was disappearing and the pared back experimental one was emerging. Heart of Darkness is so mu
Mike Jensen
There are two things dangerous for a literary person to admit. One is that they like Conrad, with the possible exception of HEART OF DARKNESS, and the other is that they recommend others avoid Conrad, with the possible exception of HEART OF DARKESS. This is my second sojourn into the heart of this book, and it is the second time I have regretted the time wasted.

It is hard to judge today just how much to blame Conrad for the contempt shown the African characters. From the frequent use of the N wo
Richard F. Schiller
Fantastic novella for insomniacs. Conrad's prose style will certainly cure you of your nighttime ailment.
Jake
For starters, it's only 85 pages long. How 'bout that?

Like most assigned reading in high school and college, this was much better ten years later, knowing that I wasn't going to be quizzed on motifs or metaphors. The framing narrative works wonderfully, and for some reason I heard Marlow's voice as Jeremy Kemp's, old and gravelly. I usually read very quickly, but reading in Marlow's voice really slowed me down and let me really appreciate the language.

That said, this is one of those stories wher
Marie
This book contained Heart of Darkness and The Congo Diary. I preferred the Heart of Darkness over The Congo Diary which I found to be very confusing. Perhaps it was because it was not the type of diary I was thinking of. I would be curious to hear what others think.
Laura Armstrong
Umm...not my cup of tea really. I found this very difficult to follow for some reason, maybe the continuous stream of narrative was a bit much for me. A disjointed reading experience all round.:-(
Byron
Always knew it was supposed to be great. I wasn't disappointed.
Victor
Too archaic the prose. Didn't enjoyed it.
Marc
Could not get into it...
Quinlan James
Quinlan James marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Alicia
Alicia added it
Oct 17, 2014
Laura B
Laura B marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Ariana
Ariana added it
Oct 23, 2014
Álvaro Felipe
Álvaro Felipe marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
  • The Dark Child
  • The Heart of Midlothian
  • The Book of Mormon
  • The Gentleman Poet: A Novel of Love, Danger, and Shakespeare's The Tempest
  • The Chemistry of Joy: A Three-Step Program for Overcoming Depression Through Western Science and Eastern Wisdom
  • New Hampshire
  • Children's Literature: A Reader's History, from Aesop to Harry Potter
  • The Monk And The Hangman's Daughter
  • All for Love
  • Canzoniere: Selected Poems
  • Kongens fald
  • A Grain of Wheat
  • The Ghost and Mrs. Muir
Joseph Conrad (born Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski ) was a Polish-born English novelist who today is most famous for Heart of Darkness, his fictionalized account of Colonial Africa.

Conrad left his native Poland in his middle teens to avoid conscription into the Russian Army. He joined the French Merchant Marine and briefly employed himself as a wartime gunrunner. He then began to work aboard Bri
More about Joseph Conrad...
Heart of Darkness Lord Jim Heart of Darkness and Selected Short Fiction Heart of Darkness and The Secret Sharer Nostromo