Start by marking “Storming Heaven” as Want to Read:
Storming Heaven

Storming Heaven

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,403 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
War has been declared on America-and it begins with a cargo of explosives at a major U.S. airport.

"The best military adventure writer in the country today." (Clive Cussler)

"Brown is a superb storyteller." (W.E.B. Griffin)

"Brown puts readers right into the middle of the inferno." (Larry Bond)
Paperback, Alternate Cover 0425147231, 9780425147238, 474 pages
Published May 1995 by Berkley (first published July 13th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Storming Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Storming Heaven

Bob Lee
Oct 17, 2014 Bob Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
This was written in 1994 and deals with a drug running terrorist who uses a transport plane to drop explosives on major airports. I had to keep pinching myself that this was before 9/11 and how unprepared we were to deal with this type of situation. The military in the novel has few planes deployed that can chase the terrorist wherever he pops up. They also have no right to shoot at a plane and no procedures for firing warning shots or trying to force the plane aside. The commercial flight tower ...more
Shane Jaworski
I like Dale Brown and his work but this book is not good. There are way too many holes in the book. The way the bad guys are able to escape the inept government at every turn is aggravating. Also, midway through the book, the main terrorist discovers that he is the sword of Satan from a tarot reading women. What is that whole section book about? Totally out of place in military thriller. The story is interesting, but the book didn't flow like most of Dale Brown's book and the many holes insult t ...more
Chuck
Aug 18, 2014 Chuck rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If following a psychotic terrorist around the U.S. blowing up airports and continually miraculously escaping capture then this is the book for you. I enjoy an occasional espionage thriller, but this one bordered upon everything but reality. There was so much action and unrealism that it became mundane and boring. There could be much more editorial on the action in this book, but I feel that I would be describing a video game.
Ed
May 31, 2016 Ed rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military, action, thriller
Non-Series - Military fiction - The absence of an air-defense network on US soil prompts terrorist Henri Cazaux to use airliners covertly equipped with bombs in attacking many airports. When the danger goes national, Hammerheads protagonist Ian Hardcastle, now an admiral, is tasked with getting the network up and running to stop Cazaux's activities.
Laurie Smith
Seemed a bit like a Tom Clancy book with lots of details about the air force and planes. The story was very exciting at times.
Judy
May 20, 2015 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was just OK in my book. Not my favorite genre. But it was a together-listen so it was OK.

Roland
Apr 28, 2014 Roland rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
too long
Danita
Jun 07, 2016 Danita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Riveting reading, as always.
Dave
Jun 04, 2010 Dave rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty standard Dale Brown thriller about a terrorist using non-military aircraft to attack the US. What I found particularly interesting was the similarity of some of the attacks to 9/11, though the book was written in 1994. The author's note at the beginning, dated 1994, describes the book as a work of fantasy, and "I hope it remains a fantasy."
Justin Katz
Aug 18, 2011 Justin Katz rated it it was ok
Just far too much Military jargon in this book. I honestly think it might have been 150 pages shorter had Brown left out all the procedures and processes. Had he done that though, he'd never have convinced you to read and see how all the little breakdowns and human error can snowball into the utter destruction in this story.
Dennis
Jun 29, 2013 Dennis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read and enjoyed several of Dale Brown's books and I can now add this book to the list. It's a nice page-turner. It is a bit frightening though to think that some of this might actually be possible. It makes me think twice about flying anywhere! I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys this type of story.
Pete
Nov 01, 2009 Pete rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Dale Brown books. They are pure page-turners and I get to escape into a militaristic world where pretty much everyone's intentions are written on their sleeves. Not particularly complex, but enjoyable none-the-less.

I do prefer MacLanahan as the main character, though.
Clint
Jun 25, 2010 Clint rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I started this audio book and quickly realized I had already listened to it, but thought maybe i just started it, so I fast forwarded and it was all familiar. oh well. I even remember being in an airport while listening to part of it, I wonder where I was going.
Brett Tompkins
Oct 06, 2008 Brett Tompkins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story. A bit slow in the beginning, setting the scene for the ending, but as it went on the pace picked up. Interesting that it was written before 9/11. A tad full of Brown's Air Force techno-babel, but I think that is what he is known for.
Kathy
Dec 06, 2008 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written pre 9/11, it tells of terrorists that use the idea of airplanes as bombs to attach the US. For a fun read it kept me turning pages fast and I couldn't put it down.
Jeff
Mar 13, 2016 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
enjoyed the story and the pace of this book lot. look forward to read more of.brown's book when I get a chance.
Shugga
The book I read was Storming Heaven by Kyle Mills, not Dale Brown. I enjoyed the suspense of this novel. A good read.
Kym
Aug 24, 2013 Kym rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written pre-9/11 so scary how close it is.
Brian Turner
Nov 07, 2015 Brian Turner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good action thriller
Miguel
Jan 14, 2010 Miguel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
ok not Dale's best
Toesnorth's mom
stupid and boring
William Shaw
William Shaw marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
deborah jenkins
deborah jenkins rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2016
C F Stott
C F Stott rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2016
Brad Parlari
Brad Parlari rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2016
  • The Red Horseman (Jake Grafton #6)
  • The Enemy Within
  • Code of Honor (Scott Dixon, #5)
  • Firebreak (Matt Pontowski, #1)
  • Scimitar SL-2 (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #7)
Former U.S. Air Force captain Dale Brown is the superstar author of eleven consecutive New York Times best-selling military-action-aviation adventure novels: FLIGHT OF THE OLD DOG (1987), SILVER TOWER (1988), DAY OF THE CHEETAH (1989), HAMMERHEADS (1990), SKY MASTERS (1991), NIGHT OF THE HAWK (1992), CHAINS OF COMMAND (1993), STORMING HEAVEN (1994), SHADOWS OF STEEL (1996) and FATAL TERRAIN (1997) ...more
More about Dale Brown...