Start by marking “Bob Moore: No Hero” as Want to Read:
Bob Moore: No Hero

Bob Moore: No Hero (Bob Moore #1)

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  268 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Super powered humans started appearing 30 years ago. Now, they are everywhere. Bob Moore, Private Eye, dares to investigate those who could incinerate him with a thought. When he is called to help a super from his past, however, he'll be pushed to his limit. When supers and the police think there is no crime, can he get to the truth? Will he want to for the man that destro ...more
Nook, 0 pages
Published January 8th 2011 by Tom Andry, via Smashwords (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Bob Moore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bob Moore

Ralph Jenkins
May 01, 2011 Ralph Jenkins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining lite read. If the author follows up with another book with Bob Moore I would read it.
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Bob Moore is a private investigator with a select clientele - 'Super's',those with special powers who are a part of everyday society. He reluctantly takes on a case to investigate the alleged disappearance of Doc Arts patients despite the general skepticism and his dislike of the man. Just as Moore decides to quit he witnesses a gruesome death and Moore is determined to find the callous murderer.
Bob is a traditional PI in a nontraditional world and the juxtaposition is entertaining. As a 'tippy'
Krystl Louwagie
There is an afterward by the author in this book that I was glad was there-I appreciate his honesty and what he's trying to do-he talks about writing (and never finishing) a novel/novella before and how the motivation of ease to self-publish online got him to finish this one. So, it's kind of nice to support the small time guy (Lacey, how easy is to to e-publish books? You should do it, maybe, try it on one or two of your novels or novella's-and I could make a cover for it! So could Angela (she' ...more
Isabella
Dec 18, 2015 Isabella rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So Bob Moore is a human PI who lives in a world full of supers. And that's pretty much all I feel comfortable sharing, the book is ten chapters long so there's not a lot to say. Anyway it was alright I probably won't read the next one, heck if someone hadn't recommended it I probably wouldn't have read this one either. Not that is was bad or anything it was just kinda meh.
Mykl
May 25, 2011 Mykl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
General theme of people with super-powers started to emerge thirty years ago and Bob Moore: detective with no super powers hired by the supes to investigate crimes. Great read and author did nice job adding info as the story developed of how people having super powers changed life/society. Very quick read because of the style of writing and great storyline. Sooooo many possiblities to write next such as more on Bob Moore's assistant, or his scientist friend, or how about some of the super powers ...more
L. Shosty
Bob Moore: No Hero seems like a critique of the superhero genre, yet it really never goes the distance in that regard. I also had a little difficulty in establishing when this book takes place. It reads like it is set anywhere between the 1950s and early 1980s (rotary phones are still in use, for example). The internet, laptops, and other modern technologies exist, but they're hoarded and used exclusively by supers, or people with fantastic powers. If this is actually the result of the Super Sta ...more
Anthony DiCostanzo
No hero is written quite well. Had a lot of fun reading it. I thought the world was cleverly designed. I would definitely read another in this world, maybe a Bob Moore mystery series?
One of the other reviewers started off with "entertaining light read" and those are three words that I think describe it well.

A Private detective who works with the "supers" the super hero beings that walk the world. It's an entertaining premise, I kept thinking if it like "Rock Slyde" starring Patrick Warburton. I could totally imagine it as a mini-series that I would watch, because I'm the sort of person who watches sci-fi mini-series.

It's funny world building, about trying to investigate peop
Kara Ripley
Jun 18, 2011 Kara Ripley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
cute story. ready for more in this world.
Purr More, Censor Less
A non-powered P.I. investigates a case of disappearing superheroes in a world that caters to the super powered.

Bob Moore: No Hero started off with a bang, or maybe I should say it was on fire considering Bob was in a tree that was set aflame by a super he was investigating. I thought it was a great start, it grabbed my attention and made me want to keep reading. However, after the first few chapters, which were action-packed, the story pacing slowed down for me quite a bit and became a bit munda
Hayley Stewart
Dec 06, 2011 Hayley Stewart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I initially downloaded this little gem at a time when I was going on 'free ebook spree'. It was free, the cover looked brilliant and it's about a PI working in a time when super powered beings have become an everyday sight.

Bob Moore is our cynical PI with a specific clientele, 'supers', people born with super powers who are now a rather normal occurence. As a 'tippy' (normal, non powered) it's just that little bit more dangerous for Bob to go on surveillance against supers as is evidenced right
Annette
Aug 04, 2011 Annette rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
"The Incredibles" for grownups, crossed with classic PI pulp fiction. Takes place in a world in which the "Supers" suddenly appeared on the scene a couple decades previous, declared borderless statehood, and have been busy putting the police out of business ever since. The almost entirely stereotypical PI is a "typical" who works primarily for these Supers, and finds himself forced by circumstances into working for the one he deeps responsible for the death of his child. (Cue dark music!)

I down
Debra Martin
Sometimes a free book can surprise you and this was definitely the case of BOB MOORE: NO HERO. I read this novella in one sitting and found it quite engaging.

Bob Moore is an average guy (a tippy) in a world full of “supers” – beings that have super powers. Bob is a PI and his clients run the full spectrum from jealous tippy husbands to angry super beings. Being a PI for supers has its perks, but more than likely, the only good thing about one of these jobs is the money he gets paid to complete
Roybot
Sep 25, 2012 Roybot rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm wavering between four and five stars for this one. I've settled on five, but don't think it's perfect. As others (including the author) have noted, the book is a little short and skips over a two week period that I think it could have benefited from. There are some areas that could be tightened up or polished, but, the fact is, it's a damn fun read.

Bob Moore is no hero, he's just a private dick making a few bucks in a world filled with super heroes and villains. It's clear that Andry is fon
Kate
Sep 07, 2012 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fast, breezy detective story, with the added twist that Bob Moore, our "hero," is a PI with a focus on the "super" business. As a "typical" or "tippy," Bob is at a monetary and genetic disadvantage in his society, and the chip on his shoulder is a big one. He takes it out on supers in a hundred different little ways, many of which are rendered subtly and poignantly through the novella. His insistence on using real names, for one, is both pointed and a little heartbreaking.

There are several plo
David(LA,CA)
Jan 17, 2014 David(LA,CA) rated it it was ok
Shelves: influences
An interesting taste test, but I wanted more. I probably could have finished up a lot sooner if I had known how close to the end I was the last time I put the book down. It's a short book and it feels shorter still. It doesn't do much background world building. It covers a little bit of the changes to law enforcement and politics that the existence of numerous superheroes could possibly cause, but it doesn't do much to explain how super powered individuals came into existence. It also feels a li ...more
Ben Mariner
I really liked the concept of this book. A book about superheroes but not about a superhero. The heroes were fun and the story was pretty well told, but it was a little slow for me, and the ending wasn't anything overly surprising. It was a good twist, but not quite what I was hoping for. Pretty good overall. Enough to make me want to read the next book in the series.
Lawrence Kapture
Jan 25, 2012 Lawrence Kapture rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-urban
Good take on a "realistic" superhero world, as seen through the eyes of a depressive detective, a non-superhero, who specializes in cases dealing with superheros. He takes the case when a superhero thinks their sidekick is jailing bad guys with somebody else.

Dark, sarcastic, and funny, though not lighthearted, Bob Moore: No Hero describes a world in which the antics of superheros regularly endanger and impoverish regular citizens. Bob is hired to find out why a superhero doctor's patients are di
Garrett
Oct 09, 2013 Garrett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bob Moore is a P.I. Most of clients and objects of surveillance are superheros. It's a tough job but somebody has to do it. Andry excels at creating a believable detective story set in a world where superheros (and villains) are a regular thing.

When Doc Arts, the supergenius, and doctor to the supers fears that his clients are going missing, nobody believes him. Not the supers not the cops, nobody. Bob Moore takes the case only to get a cop to owe him a favor. He has a personal history with Doc
Olethros
-Si Christian Walker fuese detective privado y tuviese más socarronería...-

Género. Novela corta.

Lo que nos cuenta. Bob Moore es un detective privado especializado en trabajos que impliquen superhéroes. Tras tomar unas fotografías sobre una infidelidad y sobrevivir a duras penas, recibe cierta presión para tomar un caso de superhéroes supuestamente desaparecidos pero sobre el que no hay ninguna evidencia. El problema es que el cliente sería alguien a quien Bob odia por razones muy personales. Pri
David
Aug 10, 2012 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really, quite fun. Definitely way better than I expected for a free book. Two semi-complaints:

1. It's too short.
-This is really a compliment, because it means I want more! I enjoyed the characters, and I think there's a lot more he can do. Can't wait to see what happens next in this series.
-if you go in thinking of this as sort of a prequel novella, I think you'll have the right idea about it.

2. I did predict the ending.
-no, I won't tell you what it was.
-This is a semi-complaint because it's rar
Philip McClimon
Oct 28, 2012 Philip McClimon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this. It was slick and cool. I am not a fan of superheroes. I don't think they are real heroes. Hell I would be brave too if I was bullet proof. I like that the main character is a regular "joe " and is not enamored of those spandex wearing do-gooders. Bob Moore is part FLETCH, part MAGNUM PI. It has a twist ending that I did not see coming. Bob is a flawed hero who can be motivated by his darker nature and that made things interesting. There were zingers and wit that made it fun too. Co ...more
Jolie Bonnette
Apr 28, 2013 Jolie Bonnette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-sci-fi
The characters were interesting and quirky. The pacing was excellent. It didn't drag or become too frenetic. It was quite amusing at times, too. I got a good sense of the world Bob lives in without getting mired down in too much detail. I will echo the thought that I would have like a bit more meat on the bones, but this is a great introduction to the world and character. I would kind of like to see this done as the super hero version of The Dresden Files on TV. That would be very cool.
Kathy
Jun 29, 2012 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bob Moore is a PI in world chock full of superheroes. Unfortunately he's not one of them though he does specialize in cases that involve people with super powers. He's asked to investigate a crime by a man he hates that has no clues and thinks it's probably a waste of his time, but he's wrong... This is a reasonably short novel and an introduction to this super powered world. I'll be reading book two but while enjoyable this first book didn't have enough depth to make it really outstanding.
Aaron
Dec 04, 2011 Aaron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short and simple. No Hero is like a trip to the candy store - pleasurable and fun, but not really filling. But it was clearly never meant to be anything more than it is.

Bob Moore is a tippy, an average person, in a world dominated by people with superpowers. Bob works as a private eye, the only person reckless enough to investigate "supers" in spite of their huge egos and dangerous tempers.

In all, worth the two hours it took to read.
Marilyn Groves
Sep 13, 2013 Marilyn Groves rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good solid four stars for this ebook. I don't normally read sci-fi, but this story doesn't really fall into the classification. At times humorous, always interesting, this book wasn't long but it was complete. Bravo, Mr. Andry!

Premise: Bob Moore is a human P.I. where humans and superpowers live side by side. The supers have various talents, and Bob has to find a way to maneuver his way through while he completes his jobs.
B. Branin
There is only one negative thing to say about this book: It was too short! Tom Andry has created a winning combination of character and setting with Bob Moore: No Hero. Armed with only his camera, an old vendetta and a set of balls made of granite, we follow a well crafted anti-hero against government-controlling superheroes who seem to have all but forgotten about who they are suppose to protect.
Lissibith
Feb 24, 2012 Lissibith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once I got over the tendency in this story toward block physical descriptions of every character - something of a pet peeve of mine - I found an engaging PI story laced with the sort of superhero stories I WISH I could get more of in my novels. Definitely recommend if you're into superheroes or detective stories (as long as you're not looking for anything too in-depth detecting-wise)
Carrie
Feb 01, 2013 Carrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really fun read, kind of a comical hardboiled super hero fiction. The world building is interesting and consistent and the characters are engaging. The plot was interesting and unpredictable. I hope people don't avoid it due to the superhero angle, the plot character and themes would be well done if found in a more mainstream book. I highly recommend this book!
Alisha Lavallee
Feb 13, 2013 Alisha Lavallee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i usually dont like when men author a book because most of the time i find their style very boring. but this book is one i most absolutely loved. in a fantasy word with superheros and a regular p.i. an investigating story that was most captivaiting to read. i reccomend to those who loved to be pulled into a book and have imagery while reading. overall fantastic.
  • Beyond the Veil
  • Worlds Unseen (The Seventh World Trilogy, #1)
  • Mozart's Blood
  • Pandora's Genes (The Pandora's Trilogy) (Volume 1)
  • Tremolo: Cry of the Loon
  • Saying Goodbye to the Sun
  • The Devil You Know (Nick Englebrecht, #1)
  • Alpha Rising
  • Dead Earth: The Green Dawn
  • Pets in a Pickle
  • The Enemy of an Enemy (Lost Tales of Power: Volume One)
  • Awakening (Dead Forever, #1)
  • Mr Blank (Fill in the Blank, #1)
  • Striking Back
  • In the Still of the Night (Black Knight Chronicles #5)
  • Astra: Synchronicity
  • Prophecy (Slave Empire, #1)
  • Xenolith
Tom Andry is the Associate Editor of Audioholics.com and host of the AV Rant podcast. He’s been writing mostly reviews but has lately returned to his prose roots. He has written many unpublished short stories, poems, and a few screenplays that may still be produced. He’s the father of three boys affectionately nicknamed Punkalicious, Captain Evil, and Neo. He’s happily married and currently reside ...more
More about Tom Andry...

Bob Moore (3 books)
  • Bob Moore: Desperate Times (Bob Moore, #2)
  • Bob Moore: Hostile Territory (Bob Moore #3)