Start by marking “The Anniversary: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Anniversary: A Novel

The Anniversary: A Novel

Three women reach the edge of terror as the secret past they all share is unearthed and turned against them. It?s been five years since the execution of Steven Gage, a devious, charming psychopath who took the lives of more than a hundred women. In those five years, three women connected with his case have moved on. His attorney has rid herself of the stigma of defending G ...more
Published June 1st 2003 by Little, Brown and Company (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Anniversary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Anniversary

Ryan G
Feb 06, 2010 Ryan G rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before I go on a semi-rant, I should probably let you know that I don't dislike this book. For what it is, a typical thriller, it's well written and I really do enjoy the characters. There was nothing about it that surprised me, but it kept me entertained enough to finish reading it. Who knows, I may even reread it at some point in time.

After reading this book, and comparing it to the various thrillers I've read over the years, I think I'm finally figuring out the problem I tend to have with the
bookyeti
Nov 02, 2008 bookyeti rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, reviewed
Three women. Three notes. One fear…

On the fifth anniversary of the trial and execution of infamous serial killer Steven Gage, three women separately involved in the Gasey case – Callie Thayer, Melanie White, and Diane Massey – each receive an ominous missive that they haven’t been forgotten. But almost as quickly as the women can digest the full meaning of the message, the threats leap from the printed page and into reality. Determined to no longer be a passive victim, Callie Thayer commences th
Kim
May 07, 2008 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Years after a serial killer is put to death, women involved in his case receive a "happy anniversary" message. Good opening, and the unfolding story was not bad either. A few twists and red herrings...somewhat predictable but not so much as for the ending still surprised. But the characters...to me, they were all steeped in one dysfunction or another, handled them poorly, and I just couldn't muster much empathy for any of them. I'm not sure what the author was trying to prove with all the flaws ...more
Jill Manske
This books tries hard to be terrifying, but slightly misses the mark. It's a bit scary, but not on the level of other thrillers. Someone is threatening the three women involved in the murder conviction and execution of a serial killer. We hear the tale from all three women, one of whom is killed early in the book. It's a story about secrets, guilt and being frozen in the past, unable to move forward. There's also an undercurrent of romance novel, but not enough to be off-putting. My biggest grip ...more
Sandy
Mar 30, 2012 Sandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SUPERB THRILLER!!! Kept me guessing until the killer was revealed...about 5 pages from the end of the book.

Good story about a woman who had been the girlfriend of a serial killer....but she didn't realize he was, right away. She starts putting 2 and 2 together, and becomes the star witness for the prosecution. Killer-boyfriend is convicted, and executed. She moves to a different State, and begins a new life, with a new name. That's where the book begins.

Then, things start to get scarey. Notes, f
Marciea
Jul 06, 2009 Marciea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a spine tingling thriller that involves a serial killer and 3 women who were involved with him in one way or another. As you read, you find yourself caught up in the lives of these people and what is going to happen next. I had a hard time putting the book down mostly because I was worried about the characters in the story.
If you enjoy a well written story with a little creepiness you may want to try this book.
Warning: there are some instances of strong language,(4-5) which is surp
Tamara
Apr 11, 2011 Tamara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
The Anniversary is a thriller heading in so many different directions that the reader just can't put it down. That is what The Anniversary did for me in any case, what a great book!!

Five years ago a serial killer was executed after he murdered one woman and tried to kill 2 others. Now these women are being stalked by someone who seems very closely tied to this serial killer but who is it? The Author makes you think you know who did it but wait until the end, because you really do not know until
Kelly
Feb 20, 2011 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't believe it when Amy Gutman threw me for a loop! I am usually so good at predicting who is the who in the whodunit. Boy was I wrong in this case! The author did an amazing job jumping from person to person without confusing the reader and still connecting the three women involved. The writing made me nervous, it made me anxious, and it made me afraid of what was coming next. Amy Gutman did an excellent job drawing me into the story and making me feel for the main character. And trust m ...more
Linh
Oct 27, 2013 Linh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Interesting murder mystery about three women who are targeted on the anniversary of a serial killer's execution date. Gutman's aim is to convince the readers that the killer is either the serial killer (who was executed 11 years ago... or not...) or an escapee from the same correction facilities.

I enjoyed any book where the killer isn't obvious and I'm left running through a list a potential suspects, but without being certain of who it really is until near the end.
Wynn
I'm writing this 2 weeks after finishing the book. I had to go back and read the description to remember what is was about. That's not saying much about how great it was. I do remember it had a good twist at the end. The author leads the reader to believe exactly who the killer is near the end, then ~ wrong! Good twist in those last pages. I would try another future novel from this author.
Evelyn
Jun 03, 2008 Evelyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Three women involved in the prosecution of a serial killer get a "happy anniversary" note five years after his execution. Fast-paced thrills, keeps you guessing. A real page-turner. Highly recommend.
Mom
Dec 07, 2010 Mom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. The lady was really scared enough to send her child away. She really liked Rick and I felt she would be making a mistake by sending him away. Glad he showed how he could be trusted.
Good book for those of you trying to figure out whodunnit.
Melissa
It took a little while for me to get into the book, but about a third of the way in, a few of the fragments came together and it became a pretty quick read. I never suspected who the killer was until it was revealed at the end.
Lani
Nov 14, 2012 Lani rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
I thought this story was rather anti-climactic and not enough character development. The ending was a surprise though.
Courtru
May 02, 2010 Courtru rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad read but cliche and trifling characters abound. It had a little bit of valid suspense in there.
Tabitha
Dec 14, 2012 Tabitha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this story. I did however figure out part of the ending early on in the book. A quick easy read.
Bridget
Apr 22, 2012 Bridget rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this. Now I want to read her other book. Kept you interested and lots of twists. I had a hard time putting this book down.
Michelle
Nov 12, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed the book. It kept me guessing till the end and certain parts were really creepy.
Looking froward to reading more of her books!
Carol
Feb 16, 2012 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Anniversary kept me guessing until the end. There were plenty of good suspects in this
"girlie" thriller.
Sherri Hunter
Mar 14, 2010 Sherri Hunter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Good story with lots of nail-biting suspense. The identity of the villain was a surprise that had me guessing all the way to the end. I will be looking for more titles by this author.
Melissa Hunt
Mar 14, 2010 Melissa Hunt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-adult
A good story, I read the condensed version. not quite a mary higgins clark, but a good story line.
Diana
Dec 26, 2013 Diana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
An enjoyable, well-narrated audio diversion, but I've probably read too many of this genre, since I figured out the twist too early. Worked for cleaning, multi-tasking.
Shannon
Remember reading this and Really liking it
Jodi
Jodi rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2014
Els
Els rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2015
Malin
Malin rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2016
Joanne Gavaghan
Joanne Gavaghan rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2012
David Peters
David Peters rated it it was ok
Oct 01, 2009
Peggy Albright
Peggy Albright rated it it was ok
Jun 28, 2015
Lynn Bornath
Lynn Bornath rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • I Can See in the Dark
  • Vrij spel
  • Hasta la vista!
  • The Torso (Inspector Huss #3)
  • Schuld
  • A Twist of Fate
  • Close-up
  • Kalte Stille
  • Don't Cry Now
  • La isla de las mil fuentes
By Caitlyn Smylie (SHS)

Born in Ann Arbor, Michigan, Amy Gutman spent her growing up years in Indianapolis, Indiana. From there, she went to Boston, Massachusetts to attend Harvard. Her degree in journalism was put to use soon after she graduated magna cum laude when she moved to Washington D.C. and took a job with the Wilson Quarterly. After just a year there, she moved her talent to Nashville’s T
More about Amy Gutman...