Between Each Line of Pain and Glory: My Life Story

Between Each Line of Pain and Glory: My Life Story

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  10 reviews
This immensely inspiring autobiography tells the whole, true story of Gladys Knight, a four-time Grammy winner, whose life has been rich in music, faith, love, and immense hardships. of photos.
Published October 2nd 1997 by Hyperion (first published October 1st 1997)

Cathi
I found this book on sale for el-cheapo, so I thought I'd check it out. I've always liked Gladys Knight, and it was very interesting to learn about her upbringing, her rise to fame in the music world, and her many challenges.
Barbara Washington
Oh my goodness! I enjoyed this book so much and am so thankful that
Ms.Knight allowed her fans to glimpse inside her life.
Lanier
pages 15 [bottom] – 16—“SINGING UGLY”
One of the things she [Momma] built into my brain was to never “flake out” on a note. She told me that if a note is high but within your natural range you have to go for it instead of chickening out and going to the falsetto. I don’t have great range. My top note is about a B-flat, so to hit the night notes that are considered out of my range, I have to sing ugly. You can’t be worried about looking pretty when you are pushing your voice to hit those high not...more
Tristi
This book was a neat look into Gladys Knight's life. It ends before she joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, so that information isn't in there (I was a little disappointed because I thought it would be in there) but it was fun to hear about her life and inspiring to see her overcome all that she did.
Johnnie B.
I enjoyed it a lot. It did seem a little uneven though. It started with immense detail on her youth and early career but seemed almost to gloss over her career once she and The Pips hit it big.
Still, her story was entertaining and her humor was much appreciated.
John
Gladys Knight truly has SOUL...and I kon't just mean she can sing a great r&b song. She definitely has soul as a singer, but more than that she has an incredible soul that has given her the inner strength to not just to survive, not just to endure, but (as Faulkner would say): to PREVAIL!
Rhonda
This isn't a page turner, but it's very interesting. She's really not had a very easy life, but seems to have a great attitude about life and what she's learned.
Melanie
I really enjoyed reading and learning about her life. Very interesting.
Elliott Jenkins
This story moves a little slow at times, but is so interesting.
Tyrone
Jul 25, 2011 Tyrone added it
good read
Roshunda
Roshunda marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2013
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2013
Bee Latrice
Bee Latrice marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2013
Mark Bryant
Mark Bryant marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2013
Korin
Korin marked it as to-read
May 26, 2013
Shanda
Shanda marked it as to-read
May 18, 2013
Wilson
Wilson marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
At Home With Gladys Knight : Her Personal Recipe for Living Well, Eating Right, and Loving Life Between Each Line Of Pain And Glory: My Life Story Midnight Train to Georgia