Start by marking “News from the World: Stories & Essays” as Want to Read:
News from the World: Stories & Essays

News from the World: Stories & Essays

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  56 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
This complete gathering of Paula Fox's short works spans forty-five illustrious years of her career, from 1965 to 2010. There are perfectly turned stories (two of which—"Grace" and "The Broad Estates of Death"—won the O. Henry Prize) in which characters unexpectedly find themselves at a crossroads and struggle to connect with others. There is memoir—a genre where Fox's hon ...more
Published April 18th 2011 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about News from the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about News from the World

Virginia Walter
Jul 23, 2011 Virginia Walter rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Each of the seventeen short stories, essays, and the speech in this collection is a gem in itself. However, the whole is less than the sum of its parts. There is no discernible logic to the order of the pieces and nothing but a short preface to help put them in context. I particularly enjoyed "Unquestioned Answers" which the acknowledgements at the back of the book indicated was a Zena Sutherland lecture because of its focus on childhood. But here is a major quibble: nothing in the front or back ...more
Lorri Steinbacher
Apr 18, 2011 Lorri Steinbacher rated it liked it
I loved Fox's Desperate Characters so it is no surprise that I enjoyed this collection of essays and short stories. Grace was my favorite selection in the book, although I do love any kind of memoir about NYC, which this book has no shortage of. I felt very conflicted at the end of Grace because on the one hand, you feel that the protagonist made a breakthough and on the other hand you feel two people making choices based on some kind of emotional shorthand. He is crying so maybe I can get throu ...more
Emma
Jan 22, 2014 Emma rated it really liked it
Loved this collection of short stories. Beautiful writing. Paula Fox is excellent.
Sandra
Apr 01, 2011 Sandra rated it really liked it
Shelves: collections
Exactly as the title says, this is a mixture of short stories and essays, the essays being mainly autobiographical. As a children's librarian many years ago, Paula Fox was one of my favorites. She does not disappoint now in this collection for adults that spans several decades. Uncharacteristically, I liked the essays better than the fiction. A recommended read for anyone that enjoys great thoughts with an economy of language.
Diana
Oct 23, 2011 Diana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superb muscle-writing, reminiscent of writers from the 60s and 70s eras. Paula Fox is an experienced journalist with a sharp eye and great sensitivity. She is not sentimental. Her pieces are on-target and sound. These essays are the first writings by her that I've read, and I intend to explore her novels. Very highly recommended to readers who enjoy writing that makes them think and feel.
Iva
Oct 10, 2011 Iva rated it liked it
Quite a mixed bag of short stories and essays. Some essays are quite personal and overlap with her memoir, Borrowed Finery. Most of the writing is strong and engaging and she has a fresh active voice. The short stories are weaker but worthwhile. Paula Fox is a fine adult and YA novelist; I particularly liked Desperate Characters.
Cindy
Jan 01, 2013 Cindy rated it really liked it
one of the grande dames of essays and short stories. an intimate view into her family life and early years as a writer. and the title story - although brief - is vivid and powerful. "words are nets through which all truth escapes." beautiful.
Sarah Gerard
Jun 03, 2011 Sarah Gerard rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and odd. "Grace" was my favorite selection, but I loved it all.
Richard Anderson
Aug 15, 2012 Richard Anderson rated it really liked it
Uneven, but still a lot of good material from a neglected author.
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Earl Adams
Earl Adams rated it liked it
May 02, 2016
Kristin LiBretto
Kristin LiBretto marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Jamie
Jamie rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2016
Rsquire
Rsquire rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2016
Ryan Williams
Ryan Williams rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Sheila
Sheila added it
Jan 19, 2016
Geoffrey Greene
Geoffrey Greene rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2015
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Christine Ross
Christine Ross marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Thehangover
Thehangover marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Henrik
Henrik rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2015
Lizz Angello
Lizz Angello marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Robert Howe
Robert Howe rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2015
Anne
Anne rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2014
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Paula Fox is an American author of novels for adults and children and two memoirs. Her novel The Slave Dancer (1973) received the Newbery Medal in 1974; and in 1978, she was awarded the Hans Christian Andersen Medal. More recently, A Portrait of Ivan won the Deutscher Jugendliteraturpreis in 2008.

A teenage marriage produced a daughter, Linda, in 1944. However, given the tumultuous relationship wit
More about Paula Fox...