News from the World: Stories & Essays

News from the World: Stories & Essays

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  10 reviews
This complete gathering of Paula Fox's short works spans forty-five illustrious years of her career, from 1965 to 2010. There are perfectly turned stories (two of which—"Grace" and "The Broad Estates of Death"—won the O. Henry Prize) in which characters unexpectedly find themselves at a crossroads and struggle to connect with others. There is memoir—a genre where Fox's hon...more
Published April 18th 2011 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published February 3rd 2011)

Virginia Walter
Each of the seventeen short stories, essays, and the speech in this collection is a gem in itself. However, the whole is less than the sum of its parts. There is no discernible logic to the order of the pieces and nothing but a short preface to help put them in context. I particularly enjoyed "Unquestioned Answers" which the acknowledgements at the back of the book indicated was a Zena Sutherland lecture because of its focus on childhood. But here is a major quibble: nothing in the front or back...more
Lorri Steinbacher
I loved Fox's Desperate Characters so it is no surprise that I enjoyed this collection of essays and short stories. Grace was my favorite selection in the book, although I do love any kind of memoir about NYC, which this book has no shortage of. I felt very conflicted at the end of Grace because on the one hand, you feel that the protagonist made a breakthough and on the other hand you feel two people making choices based on some kind of emotional shorthand. He is crying so maybe I can get throu...more
Emma
Loved this collection of short stories. Beautiful writing. Paula Fox is excellent.
Sandra
Exactly as the title says, this is a mixture of short stories and essays, the essays being mainly autobiographical. As a children's librarian many years ago, Paula Fox was one of my favorites. She does not disappoint now in this collection for adults that spans several decades. Uncharacteristically, I liked the essays better than the fiction. A recommended read for anyone that enjoys great thoughts with an economy of language.
Diana
Superb muscle-writing, reminiscent of writers from the 60s and 70s eras. Paula Fox is an experienced journalist with a sharp eye and great sensitivity. She is not sentimental. Her pieces are on-target and sound. These essays are the first writings by her that I've read, and I intend to explore her novels. Very highly recommended to readers who enjoy writing that makes them think and feel.
Iva
Quite a mixed bag of short stories and essays. Some essays are quite personal and overlap with her memoir, Borrowed Finery. Most of the writing is strong and engaging and she has a fresh active voice. The short stories are weaker but worthwhile. Paula Fox is a fine adult and YA novelist; I particularly liked Desperate Characters.
Cindy
one of the grande dames of essays and short stories. an intimate view into her family life and early years as a writer. and the title story - although brief - is vivid and powerful. "words are nets through which all truth escapes." beautiful.
Sarah Gerard
Beautiful and odd. "Grace" was my favorite selection, but I loved it all.
Richard Anderson
Uneven, but still a lot of good material from a neglected author.
Meredith
Meredith marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Thomas
Thomas is currently reading it
Jul 12, 2014
Vivian
Vivian marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Tj Wilson
Tj Wilson marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Anne Rioux
Anne Rioux marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2014
Pam Torres
Pam Torres marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2013
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2013
KH
KH added it
Sep 14, 2013
Natalya M. Barker
Natalya M. Barker marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2013
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2013
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Paula Fox is an American author of novels for adults and children and two memoirs. Her novel The Slave Dancer (1973) received the Newbery Medal in 1974; and in 1978, she was awarded the Hans Christian Andersen Medal. More recently, A Portrait of Ivan won the Deutscher Jugendliteraturpreis in 2008.

A teenage marriage produced a daughter, Linda, in 1944. However, given the tumultuous relationship wit...more
More about Paula Fox...
The Slave Dancer Desperate Characters One-Eyed Cat Borrowed Finery: A Memoir Monkey Island