Start by marking “Back In Black (Black Knight Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Back In Black (Black Knight Chronicles, #2)

Back In Black (Black Knight Chronicles #2)

In the second volume of The Black Knight Chronicles, vampire detectives Jimmy Black and Greg Knightwood investigate a series of assaults plaguing the alleys of Charlotte. Along the way they battle trolls, bigotry, fairies, dragons and small minds on the way to a knock-down battle royal inside a steel cage. The boys find themselves fighting evil in alleys, trolls in bars, d ...more
Kindle Edition, Bonus Content Edition, 210 pages
Published February 18th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Back In Black, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Back In Black

Carol.
Jun 12, 2015 Carol. rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of lite, fun UF
From the blog at https://clsiewert.wordpress.com/2015/...

There are times when a making a healthy, fresh meal seems like too much work, times when munching on white cheddar popcorn and enjoying a drink seems like an acceptable substitute for a meal. It isn’t in the long run, of course, but as an occasional treat it works. The Black Knight Chronicles are the popcorn in the UF world. To me, Hartness managed the tricky feat of creating the tension a mystery requires without negating the seriousness
Fangs for the Fantasy
James and Greg have been called in by Sabrina for another case – gay men across the city are being brutally beaten and left for dead. One of them Sabrina’s own cousin and something supernatural is implicated.

But as they investigate, the story opens up a whole new development – they’re not dealing with men being attacked. They’re dealing with fairies (yeah, I’ve tried re-writing that about a dozen times and there’s absolutely no way to say it without making the implications glaring) and it’s an i
Jennifer Rainey
Mar 30, 2012 Jennifer Rainey rated it really liked it
The Black Knight boys are back! I’m not sure why it took me so long to pick up the second book in John G. Hartness’s series, but I’m definitely glad I finally got around to reading it. It was great to be reunited with the characters from the first book.

This book picks up where Hard Day’s Knight left off and has all the wit and off-the-wall humor of the first installment in the series. This time around, Jimmy and Greg are up against trolls and malicious fairies as they investigate a series of att
Jim
Jan 25, 2012 Jim rated it really liked it
I have read two of the books in this series now and have enjoyed both of them. It's not Pride and Prejudice, but it is entertaining. Vampire detectives working with a human police detective to solve crimes in North Carolina....oh and their best friend is a priest.
Angie ☯
Oct 22, 2016 Angie ☯ rated it liked it
Shelves: wobble-2016
I enjoyed the 2nd installment more than the first. Still love the quirky vampires....who sparkle now, even though that myth was busted in the 1st book! (you will have to read to find out why....) :-)

Entertaining, laugh at loud funny at times and snarky!
JK
Feb 27, 2011 JK rated it it was amazing
Well, this one was just as great as the first book. A few too many 'dudes' and 'bros' for my liking, but I won't let a thing like that bother me enough to like this book less.

This series so far, even if it's just two books, is a good example of how to mix action, humor, and romance. None overwhelms the other and it makes for the perfect combination. The action is pretty good and keeps me entertained. I don't find myself just mindlessly reading those parts. The romance is actually one that devel
Mel Windham
Jun 25, 2011 Mel Windham rated it really liked it
John Hartness is another North Carolina writer, whom I met a few years ago at a writer's conference, and let me tell you--he is a hilarious writer.

"Back in Black" is book #2 in his "Black Knight Chronicles" featuring the two kind-of-vegetarian vampire detectives, Jimmy Black and Greg Knightwood. While trying to hide their true identities, this couple tries to solve mysteries at night, often running into crazy supernatural adventures.

I bought one of the original editions from when the author self
Katy
Oct 20, 2011 Katy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of UF looking for something lighter
Shelves: ebook, net-galley
Book Info: Genre: Urban Fantasy
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: fans of Urban Fantasy looking for something lighthearted
Trigger Warnings: violence, killing, homophobia

My Thoughts: Another great story in this fun UF series, in which we meet some new creatures (fairies, trolls, dragons) and find out how to make vampires sparkle (fairy blood, who'da thunk it?). I was a bit perturbed to already find a continuity error, in that the first book specifically stated they were able to see themselves i
Ami
Cat
Apr 23, 2011 Cat rated it it was amazing
So, the second book in the Black Knight Chronicles dives right in with another mystery; this time involving faeries and trolls! yikes! I was happy to see Sabrina Law [police detective] was back - she's got spunk, and I like her. Hartness's story evolves and we begin to see parallels in this universe, and I can recognize my own biases and how they might prevent me from really learning from those different from me. [Nah, I'm perfect. No biases here. But I love the lesson anyways!]

Once again Black
Dave Ricchiazzi
Dec 30, 2013 Dave Ricchiazzi rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
This second entry into the series is more of the same. If you really liked the first one, you'll really like this. If you were lukewarm on this first one, the same feeling will likely result from this. I was lukewarm. The writing doesn't distract, but it's not superb either. The main character (Black) is again the least developed and interesting character in the series because the author eschews any growth to keep him cracking wise at every turn. Is it such a crime to have a main character know ...more
J. S. Turner
May 09, 2013 J. S. Turner rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-read
Book 2 of The Black Knight Chronicles was an enjoyable read. I will admit, the first couple of chapters had me wondering if I wanted to really sit through a morality play. But read on I did and I am glad. For Back in Black is not a morality play, nor does it hit you over the head regarding homsexuality. Just a few homosexual characters happen to be involved. In fact, Hartness' play on the terms fairy and fae is pretty damn clever if you ask me.

Jimmy does blab a bit too much for me, but there we
Scott
Apr 09, 2011 Scott rated it it was amazing
Back in Black is another adventure from the mind of John Hartness. Jimmy, Greg, Sabrina, and Mike are back and this time the case is personal. Sabrina's favorite cousin has been beaten to a bloody pulp, and they suspect his lifestyle is the reason. The case that appeared to be linked to a series of hate crimes spirals in a way that I never would have guessed with the usual comedic banter between characters. There are whole new mythological realms explored and several new races revealed.

This is
Kathy
Apr 16, 2012 Kathy rated it really liked it
Another fun outing with Jimmy Black and Greg Knightwood, the geekiest vampires you ever met. These are not long, or terribly complicated books, but they are enjoyable and really funny in spots and glad I've got at least one more book in the series to look forward to with Knight Moves. However, the author does need to be a bit more consistent with some of his vampire lore - especially mirrors - in his plots.
Jane Atchley
Mar 05, 2012 Jane Atchley rated it really liked it
This is the second book I've read in this series. They are fun fast reads. Even though he is a smart-ass I love Jimmy. Maybe I love him because he's a smart-ass.

If I had a complaint, it's the editing mistakes, there are many wrong or left-behind words. Maybe it is because I read it in ebook format and this somehow messed it up, but when the dragon warrior takes another sip of his wife instead of his wine...I got Dr. Pepper up my nose.

Overall, I recommend this series because I like to be enterta
Michele Minor
Jun 18, 2012 Michele Minor rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books
This book deals with how gays are treated in today's society especially in the Bible Belt since the book is set in Charlotte, NC. The author does have an interesting play on words in the book with trolls and fairies included in this book. This book also includes a trip to Fairyland with police detective Sabrina Law finding out the truth about her cousin. The book is full of surprises that include the ending of the book. The two vampires also have an interesting side effect from their trip to fai ...more
Candice Carpenter
Jun 24, 2015 Candice Carpenter rated it it was amazing
The Black Knight Chronicles are full of all the thrills, chills, laughs and feels you could be looking for. Written with brilliant wit and pacing, you will find yourself happily tagging along as part of Black Knight Investigations, saving the fair city of Charlotte and most definitely throwing back a few beers (or other beverage of choice).

I reviewed all 5 books in one post.

Check it out at http://wegeekgirls.com/2015/11/09/boo...
Jenette
Jun 08, 2012 Jenette rated it liked it
Shelves: books-with-bite

It's certainly not the best book I've ever read but it was just the sort of easy read I needed for my lazy Sunday. in this one James has a run in with too many trolls, takes up a quest in Fairyland, makes some new friends and manages to piss off Lilith. Again. As far as crime solving goes, there really wasn't much to be seen in this book but that was okay with me, I was in it for the mindless violence.
April Schilling
May 30, 2016 April Schilling rated it it was amazing
Another great one! This is the second in the series and I enjoyed it almost as much as I did the first one. Some great quips between Jimmy and Sabrina as always and loving the vampire detective agency! In this second book, the guys are investigating a string of violent attacks in Charlotte. Along the way they meet up with fairies, a dragon, trolls and they come in contact with Lilith again. Can't wait to read the next book!
Donna
Second in the series. Somewhat silly story but the characters are pretty engaging. Too much 20-something guy humor and I wonder if the topical social references are going to feel dated in a few years. It's a short book which is probably good as this type of humor can old fast but as it is, it's a quick, fun read.
Michael Roll
Nov 14, 2015 Michael Roll rated it really liked it
Luke; calling uncle luck

Jeez. Just bite the bullet and introduce luck already. Good underlying story line. Friends turns best friend into a vampire after trying his luck with a pretty girl.
Glen
Sep 06, 2015 Glen rated it liked it
Still an enjoyable read as a series, but the author does seem to rely on stereotypes a little too heavily. Also, the humor does sometimes feel a little too forced, with characters sometimes feeling like they're not quite sure why they're acting out of character.
Mike
Aug 21, 2011 Mike rated it really liked it
Fun little read! I like these snarky little Urban Fantasy novels. Kind of like a less Dresden Files (with hits and missed on the pop culture, lesser editing, and a few too many discrepancies in the canon/myth).
Brian
Aug 29, 2011 Brian rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Good, but I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the first one. There's one section in particular that was just a little over the top "romance novel" for me. I had a good laugh about the sparkly parts though.
Donna
Jan 10, 2012 Donna rated it really liked it
Loved it! Laughed. Like a dish of mixed nuts, you just can't stop wanting more. Vampires and dragons and trolls, oh my!
Rastlin98
Oct 29, 2015 Rastlin98 rated it liked it
Pat Michaels
Jun 11, 2014 Pat Michaels rated it really liked it
Jimmy and Greg take a case that brings them to the land of Fae. There is a supernatural fight club in Charlotte.
Brian Way
Brian Way rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2014
Theresa Grant
Theresa Grant rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2015
Joseph Cloutier
Joseph Cloutier rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2012
  • The Skinwalker Conspiracies (Dead Eye #2)
  • Dead Streets (Matt Richter #2)
  • Evil Dark (Occult Crimes Unit Investigation, #2)
  • The Mourning Woods (The Tome of Bill, #3)
  • Circle of Enemies (Twenty Palaces, #3)
  • Pagan
  • Dead Mann Walking (Hessius Mann #1)
  • The Devil You Know (Nick Englebrecht, #1)
  • Demonspawn (Damned and Cursed, #1)
  • The Way of the Black Beast (The Malja Chronicles, #1)
  • The Road to Bedlam (Courts of the Feyre, #2)
  • Animal Instinct (Duncan Andrews Thrillers, #2)
  • Fallen Stars (Demon Accords, #5)
  • Uncertain Allies (Connor Grey, #5)
  • Uprising (The Vampire Federation, #1)
  • Hell Cop 2
John Hartness is a recovering theatre geek and award-winning poet from Charlotte, NC. He is the author of The Black Knight Chronicles urban fantasy series, featuring snarky, non-sparkly vampires with bad attitudes and comic book collections to rival Stan Lee's!

A graduate of Winthrop University, John has spent twenty years in some form of theatre, from performing and directing to designing and prod
More about John G. Hartness...

Black Knight Chronicles (6 books)
  • Hard Day's Knight (Black Knight Chronicles, #1)
  • Knight Moves (Black Knight Chronicles, #3)
  • Paint it Black (Black Knight Chronicles #4)
  • Gone Daddy Gone - A Black Knight Short Story
  • In the Still of the Night (Black Knight Chronicles #5)