Start by marking “Back In Black (Black Knight Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Back In Black (Black Knight Chronicles, #2)

Back In Black (Black Knight Chronicles #2)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  421 ratings  ·  24 reviews
In the second volume of The Black Knight Chronicles, vampire detectives Jimmy Black and Greg Knightwood investigate a series of assaults plaguing the alleys of Charlotte. Along the way they battle trolls, bigotry, fairies, dragons and small minds on the way to a knock-down battle royal inside a steel cage. The boys find themselves fighting evil in alleys, trolls in bars, d ...more
Kindle Edition, Bonus Content Edition, 210 pages
Published February 18th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Back In Black, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Back In Black

Jennifer Rainey
The Black Knight boys are back! I’m not sure why it took me so long to pick up the second book in John G. Hartness’s series, but I’m definitely glad I finally got around to reading it. It was great to be reunited with the characters from the first book.

This book picks up where Hard Day’s Knight left off and has all the wit and off-the-wall humor of the first installment in the series. This time around, Jimmy and Greg are up against trolls and malicious fairies as they investigate a series of att
Jim
I have read two of the books in this series now and have enjoyed both of them. It's not Pride and Prejudice, but it is entertaining. Vampire detectives working with a human police detective to solve crimes in North Carolina....oh and their best friend is a priest.
Mel Windham
John Hartness is another North Carolina writer, whom I met a few years ago at a writer's conference, and let me tell you--he is a hilarious writer.

"Back in Black" is book #2 in his "Black Knight Chronicles" featuring the two kind-of-vegetarian vampire detectives, Jimmy Black and Greg Knightwood. While trying to hide their true identities, this couple tries to solve mysteries at night, often running into crazy supernatural adventures.

I bought one of the original editions from when the author self
JK
Well, this one was just as great as the first book. A few too many 'dudes' and 'bros' for my liking, but I won't let a thing like that bother me enough to like this book less.

This series so far, even if it's just two books, is a good example of how to mix action, humor, and romance. None overwhelms the other and it makes for the perfect combination. The action is pretty good and keeps me entertained. I don't find myself just mindlessly reading those parts. The romance is actually one that devel
Fangs for the Fantasy
James and Greg have been called in by Sabrina for another case – gay men across the city are being brutally beaten and left for dead. One of them Sabrina’s own cousin and something supernatural is implicated.

But as they investigate, the story opens up a whole new development – they’re not dealing with men being attacked. They’re dealing with fairies (yeah, I’ve tried re-writing that about a dozen times and there’s absolutely no way to say it without making the implications glaring) and it’s an i
Katy
Jun 23, 2013 Katy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of UF looking for something lighter
Shelves: ebook, net-galley
Book Info: Genre: Urban Fantasy
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: fans of Urban Fantasy looking for something lighthearted
Trigger Warnings: violence, killing, homophobia

My Thoughts: Another great story in this fun UF series, in which we meet some new creatures (fairies, trolls, dragons) and find out how to make vampires sparkle (fairy blood, who'da thunk it?). I was a bit perturbed to already find a continuity error, in that the first book specifically stated they were able to see themselves i
Ami
Dave Ricchiazzi
This second entry into the series is more of the same. If you really liked the first one, you'll really like this. If you were lukewarm on this first one, the same feeling will likely result from this. I was lukewarm. The writing doesn't distract, but it's not superb either. The main character (Black) is again the least developed and interesting character in the series because the author eschews any growth to keep him cracking wise at every turn. Is it such a crime to have a main character know ...more
Cathy
So, the second book in the Black Knight Chronicles dives right in with another mystery; this time involving faeries and trolls! yikes! I was happy to see Sabrina Law [police detective] was back - she's got spunk, and I like her. Hartness's story evolves and we begin to see parallels in this universe, and I can recognize my own biases and how they might prevent me from really learning from those different from me. [Nah, I'm perfect. No biases here. But I love the lesson anyways!]

Once again Black
J. S. Turner
Book 2 of The Black Knight Chronicles was an enjoyable read. I will admit, the first couple of chapters had me wondering if I wanted to really sit through a morality play. But read on I did and I am glad. For Back in Black is not a morality play, nor does it hit you over the head regarding homsexuality. Just a few homosexual characters happen to be involved. In fact, Hartness' play on the terms fairy and fae is pretty damn clever if you ask me.

Jimmy does blab a bit too much for me, but there we
Scott
Back in Black is another adventure from the mind of John Hartness. Jimmy, Greg, Sabrina, and Mike are back and this time the case is personal. Sabrina's favorite cousin has been beaten to a bloody pulp, and they suspect his lifestyle is the reason. The case that appeared to be linked to a series of hate crimes spirals in a way that I never would have guessed with the usual comedic banter between characters. There are whole new mythological realms explored and several new races revealed.

This is
Pat Michaels
Jimmy and Greg take a case that brings them to the land of Fae. There is a supernatural fight club in Charlotte.
Michele Minor
This book deals with how gays are treated in today's society especially in the Bible Belt since the book is set in Charlotte, NC. The author does have an interesting play on words in the book with trolls and fairies included in this book. This book also includes a trip to Fairyland with police detective Sabrina Law finding out the truth about her cousin. The book is full of surprises that include the ending of the book. The two vampires also have an interesting side effect from their trip to fai ...more
Kathy
Another fun outing with Jimmy Black and Greg Knightwood, the geekiest vampires you ever met. These are not long, or terribly complicated books, but they are enjoyable and really funny in spots and glad I've got at least one more book in the series to look forward to with Knight Moves. However, the author does need to be a bit more consistent with some of his vampire lore - especially mirrors - in his plots.
Jane Atchley
This is the second book I've read in this series. They are fun fast reads. Even though he is a smart-ass I love Jimmy. Maybe I love him because he's a smart-ass.

If I had a complaint, it's the editing mistakes, there are many wrong or left-behind words. Maybe it is because I read it in ebook format and this somehow messed it up, but when the dragon warrior takes another sip of his wife instead of his wine...I got Dr. Pepper up my nose.

Overall, I recommend this series because I like to be enterta
Jenette

It's certainly not the best book I've ever read but it was just the sort of easy read I needed for my lazy Sunday. in this one James has a run in with too many trolls, takes up a quest in Fairyland, makes some new friends and manages to piss off Lilith. Again. As far as crime solving goes, there really wasn't much to be seen in this book but that was okay with me, I was in it for the mindless violence.
Jordan
Great book and a wonderful addition to the series.
Donna
Second in the series. Somewhat silly story but the characters are pretty engaging. Too much 20-something guy humor and I wonder if the topical social references are going to feel dated in a few years. It's a short book which is probably good as this type of humor can old fast but as it is, it's a quick, fun read.
Mike
Fun little read! I like these snarky little Urban Fantasy novels. Kind of like a less Dresden Files (with hits and missed on the pop culture, lesser editing, and a few too many discrepancies in the canon/myth).
Brian
Good, but I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the first one. There's one section in particular that was just a little over the top "romance novel" for me. I had a good laugh about the sparkly parts though.
Donna
Loved it! Laughed. Like a dish of mixed nuts, you just can't stop wanting more. Vampires and dragons and trolls, oh my!
Michael Leffel
If you do not like sarcastic lead characters DO READ THIS BOOK!

If you do, well its a must read.
Ken
Very entertaining. I'm just chewing these up. On to book 3...
Jack
Aug 10, 2013 Jack added it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
False
Anthony Hernandez
Anthony Hernandez marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Dan Phillips
Dan Phillips marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
  • The Skinwalker Conspiracies (Dead Eye #2)
  • Dead Streets (Matt Richter #2)
  • Evil Dark (Occult Crimes Unit Investigation, #2)
  • The Mourning Woods (The Tome of Bill, #3)
  • Circle of Enemies (Twenty Palaces, #3)
  • Dead Mann Walking (Hessius Mann #1)
  • Duel Nature (Demon Accords #4)
  • Chance in Hell (Chance Lee, #1)
  • Demonspawn (Damned and Cursed, #1)
  • Uncertain Allies (Connor Grey, #5)
  • Deader Still (Simon Canderous, #2)
  • Pagan
  • Hemovore
  • The Road to Bedlam (Courts of the Feyre, #2)
John Hartness is a recovering theatre geek and award-winning poet from Charlotte, NC. He is the author of The Black Knight Chronicles urban fantasy series, featuring snarky, non-sparkly vampires with bad attitudes and comic book collections to rival Stan Lee's!

A graduate of Winthrop University, John has spent twenty years in some form of theatre, from performing and directing to designing and prod
More about John G. Hartness...
Hard Day's Knight (Black Knight Chronicles, #1) Knight Moves (Black Knight Chronicles, #3) Paint it Black: 4 (The Black Knight Chronicles) The Chosen Monsters Beware (Bubba the Monster Hunter)