Start by marking “Wait for What Will Come” as Want to Read:
Wait for What Will Come

Wait for What Will Come

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  1,046 ratings  ·  30 reviews
The last of an ancient Cornish clan, Carla Tregellas has inherited her historic ancestral home: a massive mansion looming high up on the jagged cliffs of Cornwall. From the moment Carla takes possession of the grand manor she feels right at home, warmly welcomed by everyone—except the strange and secretive housekeeper, Mrs. Pendennis, who warns the new owner of the tragic,...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Wait for What Will Come, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wait for What Will Come

Kasia S.
Barbara Michaels Gothic thrillers seem to involve some sort of a haunted house/castle, a man with a secret shady pasty, time setting around 1950's and witty damsel in distress with spunk and a bit of an attitude. This suits me just fine when I am in deed in the mood for mystery, thriller and romance all mixed into one and a relaxing evening of some fun, light reading. This kept me glued to the pages enough to finish quickly and I am looking forward to more of her books in the future. This is not...more
Adobe
The best part of this book is the merry rapport between sarcastic Carla, moody Michael, and cheerful Tim. The trio comes together halfway through the novel, and immediately the story perks up under the influence of their amusing interactions.

However, once you've heard one story about a women slowly being maneuvered into believing herself mad, you've heard them all. Wait for What Will Come doesn't add anything new to this traditional plot. Additionally, the book is inexplicably burdened with a do...more
Arlene Richards
An interesting suspense-filled with an old decaying castle as a back-drop. I do tire of the frequently used theme where boy meets girl and they have an instant verbally abusive repulsion to each other. Of course they end up as lovers. The book then becomes so predictable that I can usually guess how the mystery ends. A 2.5 would be a better rating for this book.
Michael
I'd really rather give it a 3.5, but I'm feeling generous, so I bumped it up. ;o)

It was... fine. Entertaining. Or at least entertaining enough.

This author spins a pretty good tale-- the epitome of the light mystery/suspense/mildly romantic gothic romance. She knows how to write the sort of novel that it is easy to keep reading. However, there's generally not much to make you sit up in amazement. If you've read one of these types of books, you've kind of read them all. The setting and cast of cha...more
Samantha
Summary from Goodreads:

"She was the last of an ancient Cornish clan, and Carla Tregellas had inherited the pride of her family name - a huge mansion that loomed high above the jagged cliffs of Cornwall. She felt at home there right from the start, for everyone seemed so kind and welcoming. Everyone except Mrs. Pendennis, the eccentric housekeeper who advised Carla to leave at once to deter a tragic and inevitable fate. But Carla could not leave - for the invisible bonds of an ancestral curse wer...more
Kristen
Barbara Michaels is a solid author who writes stories you can depend on to entertain.

In Wait for What Will Come, we meet solid, unimaginative [by her own description] American Carla Tregellas, the last of the line of a Cornish Clan. She's inherited an old wreck of a mansion in Cornwall, and has no interest in anything but having it sold off as quickly as possible. Until, that is, she sees a picture of the house, and is suddenly on the next plane to visit her house in person.

Once she arrives howe...more
Rusty
This is a most entertaining read by a talented author. This gothic mystery is so well done that I could not stop reading until the last page. The convoluted plot kept pointing to a mysterious and talented young dancer but the murderer is someone else entirely. As I read this one without stopping, I couldn't figure out who it might be until the killer revealed himself in attempt to kill the heroine. Well done!
Ashley
I really enjoyed this book. it is a great example of the Gothic romance that was so popular in its day. It has very little in the way of romance, with just a hint thrown in to liven up the characters stories, and enough at the end to make you smile happily for our heroine. The elements are there with sweeping writing style that will have you seeing it as if you are there. Her descriptions are incredible, especially of people and the countryside. Creepy dark moods, check. Whipping winds and storm...more
Lisa Greer
I might end up re-rating this one before I'm done. I realized I had never read this one by Michaels. It's one of the few. It is different from many of her others since there's a creepy castle and a legend of a killer merman. :)

***
I am thoroughly enjoying this over a third of the way in as always with Michaels: wit, humor, suspense, romance, and creepiness are the makings of this novel set in 70s Cornwall.

***
Thoroughly enjoyable. I didn't know who dunnit until the last 15 pages of the book.
Rosemary
A fairly standard romance / suspence. Lovely American heiress of a Welsh castle visits before selling, discovers a love of her roots, surrounded by gorgeous men, sees ghosts, seeks way to keep the castle, endangered. The end was very rushed, as though even the author got a little bored with it all and rushed to let us know which of the gorgeous men would win the girl.
Nicole
I read this when I was about fourteen, so I'm not sure I would even like it now, but I really enjoyed it at the time. It made me wish I had a rich relative who would leave their Cornish estate when they died! I was also left with a serious craving for scones and clotted cream.
Tasha
This is one of my favorite Barbara Michaels books! It takes place in Cornwall and there's a dark and handsome stranger, a cromlech (circle of standing stones), and an ancient Roman mosaic. There's also some suspicion that mister tall, dark, and handsome is a selkie.
Kristina
My mother owns this collection of three romantic suspense novels. The first two books are better than the last one (Voyage to Love), but they are funny and entertaining. Wait for What Will Come is of course by Elizabeth Peters/Barbara Michaels, so it is very good.
Julia
Mom was right - the pair of bickering lovers who make it up at the end was a bit cliched. The mystery was rather far fetched and hard to believe. Not one of this author's better novels. I enjoyed the atmosphere and the ghost story though.
Lara
This is another of my favorite Barbara Michaels books--I just love the setting so much! And I am dying to one day try this clotted cream people are always forcing on the main character throughout this book. Ha!
Jellicle
Light enjoyable read. Gothic castle, crazy old lady, handsome prodigal grandson, a dangerous merman, a date with destiny and all the clotted cream you can eat. I want to be Carla for a week.
Éowyn
Gothic-style novel, reminded me a bit of the Victoria Holt novels. Could have done with a bit more clarity in the ending and trying to unpick all the threads of what had been going on.
Ye
A fun Gothic, just the right amount.
Krystal
A bit dated but still fun. My one major issue was in trying to make her heroine strong and smart, Michaels just made her annoying and stubborn...
Dawn Pisturino
I love Barbara Michaels and her suspense novels, but this book did not meet my expectations. Not enough suspense! Not even a good love story.
Lisa M.
Mass market book...read if you are truly desperate...starts out interesting and ends fast and disappointingly...I literally rolled my eyes.
Elizabeth Nesbit-comer
I wish Barbara Michaels would keep writing Gothic :) so much cooler than Egyptian mysteries.
Rachel
Ending was just too rushed for me. Otherwise, loved the setting and the atmosphere.
Darla
Absolutely loved it! Interesting characters, great story...perfect!
Stephanie
Cute to read about a gothic romance set in the 70s
Kaye
Started out great, fizzled out toward the middle.
Katherine
Absorbing mystery and easy read.
  • Summer of the Dragon
  • Listen for the Whisperer
  • Curse of the Kings
Barbara Michaels is a pen name of Barbara Mertz. She also writes as Elizabeth Peters, as well as under her own name.

She was born in Canton, Illinois and has written over fifty books including some in Egyptology. Dr. Mertz also holds a Ph.D. from the University of Chicago in Egyptology.
More about Barbara Michaels...
Stitches in Time (Georgetown, #3) Ammie, Come Home (Georgetown, #1) The Dancing Floor Smoke and Mirrors Vanish with the Rose