Start by marking “Shallow Graves in Siberia” as Want to Read:
Shallow Graves in Siberia

Shallow Graves in Siberia

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Michael Krupa was born into a poor family in south-west Poland and was accepted into a Jesuit seminary. He ran away before taking his final vows and joined the army. Krupa survived Hitler's invasion but served ten years in a labour camp before escaping to Afghanistan after an epic journey. Here he tells his remarkable story.
Published December 1st 2004 by Birlinn Publishers (first published April 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Shallow Graves in Siberia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shallow Graves in Siberia

Kenny
A short read, that was actually better than I thought. An incredible story - as a young man he is caught crossing the border from newly Nazi occupied Poland into the Soviet Union, and is sent to Siberia via the Lubyanka. After a couple of years in the camps, he uses his pre-war skills to get a job that allows him to escape.

I had expected this to be somehow quite dry, but the writing style was absolutely right in tone for this sort of book - the right mix of short, simple prose without excessive
Camille Flores
I came upon this book while looking into the movie ("The Way Back" from the book, "The Long Trek," which was apparently determined to not be a true story whereas "Shallow Graves" is well documented.

Michael Krupa was (I don't know if he's still alive) indeed a determined man. He survived incredibly horrible obstacles; I think he was extremely lucky, but he was young and strong and very intelligent, speaking several languages fluently.

The style is very dry; you won't be entertained, but his Engli
Abby
This book is truly incredible - as I was reading it I couldn't help but think of Art Spiegelman's 'Maus' and the amazing story of his father, and how Michael Krupa and Art's Dad were so strong and so LUCKY to survive one of the worst periods of modern history. It's wonderfully written, harrowing and awe-inspiring, and I recommend it to everyone.
Tamer
Sep 14, 2014 Tamer rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
extraordinary !!!
Ruth
I don't know why I'm giving this three stars instead of 4. I whizzed though it. I'm a fast reader, but something that is written in a truly unusual way deserves more than a whiz. So maybe that's why the 3. It's certainly quite the adventure, and gets better as it goes along, but I could never imagine re-reading it. Absolutely nothing at all like the movie that claimed to be based on it. I saw lots of brouhaha on Google about whether it was a true story. Who cares? Memory is a deceiver, as is sel ...more
Amanda Lombard
Very interesting and very sad. I am a huge lover of history that is told by way of story. What a journey this man had. I would recommend reading this.
Robert Drozda
Žádný Solženicyn, Šalamov. Nehledanými jednoduchými slovy a větami vyprávěný osud polského chlapce, který zběhl z jezuitského semináře jen proto, aby se dostal do tábora v Pečoře. Příběh o svobodě a vůli žít. Útěk z gulagu, tisíce kilometrů přes válkou rozvrácenou zem, ze severního Uralu až do Afghánistánu. Literární hodnota nevalná, ale stálo za čtení.
Christina
It’s a gripping tale. It is amazing to me the lives that some “ordinary” people have lived. Here is a man who was caught up in something bigger than himself — in the maw of history so to speak, and managed to escape and survive to tell the tale.
Danuta Lawson
Read in one sitting could not put it down, can't believe that he is 96 years old and lives to tell the tale!
Danuta Lawson
Dave
Excellent true story of a real escape from a Siberian labour camp.
Cliff
Apr 19, 2013 Cliff added it
Great read. Looking for similar books. Any suggestions?
Frank Pleszak
Interesting insight.
Sarah-jayne Dominic
Sarah-jayne Dominic marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Sarah Martin
Sarah Martin marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Radek Petr
Radek Petr marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Ian
Ian marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Elin Ekstedt
Elin Ekstedt marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Paul Jones
Paul Jones marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Stephanie Scott
Stephanie Scott marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014