Adventures in a TV Nation

Adventures in a TV Nation

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  511 ratings  ·  16 reviews
This is a book about how a group of people went after corporate crooks with a seven-foot crime-fighting chicken, hired a former KGB agent to make sure Nixon was really dead, and got the warring factions in Bosnia to put down their guns, slice up a pizza, and sing the Barney song to each other.

And it all ended up on primetime television, on networks owned by General Electri...more
Paperback, First Edition, 256 pages
Published October 7th 1998 by HarperPerennial

David Sarkies
Some people might wonder why, when I'm writing a review on a book, I generally discuss the underlying themes of the book rather than actually writing a review and commenting on grammar, structure, plot, and characters. Well, when we are dealing with non-fiction books, such as this one, plot and characters do not play a huge role, and with regards to grammar and structure I suspect (or rather hope) that all of the problems are ironed out in the editorial stage. Okay, I'm not an editor, and I hav...more
Ruth
In 1994, Michael Moore (subsequently best known for Fahrenheit 911, Bowling for Columbine, and being a general pain in the butt to the Republican Party) produced, with others, a television show called TV Nation. The idea behind the show was to raise awareness of injustice and corruption in America, and to do so in a humorous style. Less than 20 episodes were made (although Moore went on to do another similar show called The Awful Truth), but durng its short run, it was highly acclaimed.

This book...more
Maria Calugaru
I wasn't expecting this book to be as good as his other ones since it was about their tv show and not the "michael Moore's opinoin on stuff" kind of books we are used to. I decided to read this one in english too. I never had the time to sit and watch TV Nation but now I really want to. I really want to see how all these projects they worked on were shown to the audience since in the book they tell us about a bunch of scenes that were deleted or censored.
Lauren
I bought this book on a whim. It was on super sale and it looked pretty interesting. I'd never heard of the show, but I always find the stuff that Michael Moore does pretty interesting. It was interesting reading about all the segments they did on the show. Even though the show was a while ago, I still felt like most of the topics they covered are still pertinent today. I think I might look this show up now and see if I can watch some of the episodes...
Tom Darrow
I never watched the TV show, but I had read Moore's more recent books. Recently Moore comes off as a left-wing nutjob, mostly through his methods, not his arguments. In this book, and the TV show is describes, Moore takes a more main-stream approach to problems in the US, like prison reform and healthcare. It still has an obvious liberal bias, but his conclusions are a lot easier to swallow.
Ty
Jan 31, 2008 Ty rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: michael moore fans
It was interesting to read what compromises Michael was willing to make in order for certain segments to air. But it brought little else new to anyone who's already familiar with his antics and politics. A nice and light read.
Oliver
Before he became so dogmatic and annoying, Michael Moore had a show called TV Nation and it was pretty darned good. This book peeking behind that show is pretty darned good too and both horrifying and funny.
Richard
i liked the tv nation show- film a savings and loan wipe out support group- ask ask newt gingrich which government programs he'd like to cut in his district- classic
Anna
Michael Moore did the TV series "TV Nation"; this book has stories and episodes related to it.
Enjoyable read when you are traveling or have a lazy afternoon.
Anhdroid
Ich habe ein Buch bei BookCrossing.com registriert!
Bjorn Hardarson
interesting book about one of the first thing Michael Moore did in TV, funny, controversial and interesting as much of the thing Michael Moore does
Oz
Liked the TV show, the book has some moderate appeal, if you like left leaning lens through which Mr. Moore views the world.
Mel
Very funny stunts on a wide range of political topics. Very easy to read in normal Moore style.
Svenja
By far not as good as his other books
Greg Easley
This book is hilarious!
Jeremy
I'm in it!
Ian
Ian marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Dave
Dave marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Dennis
Dennis added it
Jul 17, 2014
Tina Ihas
Tina Ihas marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
  • As Used on the Famous Nelson Mandela: Underground Adventures in the Arms and Torture Trade
  • Weapons of Mass Deception: The Uses of Propaganda in Bush's War on Iraq
  • Extreme Rambling: Walking Israel's Separation Barrier. For Fun.
  • Toxic Sludge is Good For You: Lies, Damn Lies and the Public Relations Industry
  • Manufacturing Consent: Noam Chomsky and the Media
  • What Liberal Media?: The Truth about Bias and the News
  • Monty Python's Big Red Book
  • Too Good to Be True: The Colossal Book of Urban Legends
  • Rogue State: A Guide to the World's Only Superpower
  • One Market Under God: Extreme Capitalism, Market Populism, and the End of Economic Democracy
  • Smells Like Dead Elephants: Dispatches from a Rotting Empire
  • Turning the Tide: US Intervention in Central America & the Struggle for Peace
  • The Best Democracy Money Can Buy
  • The Simpsons Forever!: A Complete Guide to Our Favorite Family...Continued
  • Captive State: The Corporate Takeover of Britain
  • Devil's Game: How the United States Helped Unleash Fundamentalist Islam
  • United States: Essays 1952-1992
  • A Little Matter of Genocide: Holocaust & Denial in the Americas 1492 to the Present

Michael Moore is an American filmmaker, author and liberal political commentator. He is the director and producer of Bowling for Columbine, Fahrenheit 9/11, Sicko, and Capitalism: A Love Story, four of the top nine highest-grossing documentaries of all time.[3] In September...more
More about Michael Moore...
Dude, Where's My Country? Stupid White Men Downsize This! Here Comes Trouble Will They Ever Trust Us Again?