Start by marking “Best New Horror” as Want to Read:
Best New Horror

Best New Horror

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  117 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
From the New York Times bestselling author of NOS4A2 and Horns comes this e-short story—from Joe Hill’s award-winning collection 20th Century Ghosts.

Imogene is young and beautiful. She kisses like a movie star and knows everything about every film ever made. She's also dead and waiting in the Rosebud Theater for Alec Sheldon one afternoon in 1945. . . .

Arthur Roth is a lon
Published February 3rd 2009 by William Morrow (first published October 16th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Best New Horror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Best New Horror

Andrew Lennon
Jan 06, 2015 Andrew Lennon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That was really good! I enjoyed it a lot!
Was really creepy, although I think if it was possible I would love to read "button boy" in full!
The thought of that story creeped the hell out of me!

All reviews can be found at http://lennonslair.blogspot.co.uk/
Jonathan Echevarria
Best New Horror was one of the few Joe Hill stories that wasn't completely for me. A big part of it appealed to me as a fan of the horror genre. As a kid I have always loved horror movies and they are a big part of my childhood. I was able to relate to the main protagonist named Eddie Carroll who longs for that "surprise" he use to feel watching horror movies when he was younger. The is something I have a problem with, whenever I go to see a new horror movie with hopes of being "surprised" or at ...more
Susan
Mar 23, 2016 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great, chilling story that combines so many aspects of a good, American horror story.

Eddie Carroll is an editor of an annual compilation of horror stories called "America's Best New Horror". After reciving an incredibly disturbing short story, Eddie sets out to find it's author. The search appears to be tricky at first, and horrifying at the end!

This is a story from "20th Century Ghosts", I never read the whole book yet, but after sampling "Best New Horror" I can't wait to give it a go. Joe Hi
Maggie Leroy
May 20, 2014 Maggie Leroy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It gave me nightmares, not many stories are able to do that to me! Really loved this one!
Dione Basseri
Eddie makes his living from a cobbled-together writing income, and part of keeping on top of his game is reading a LOT of fiction. Which means he's seen it all, hates the common tropes, and is just gagging for something new and shocking. When he finds a story that finally gives him what he wants, it turns into an obsession, and Eddie sets out to meet the disturbed mind that fulfilled his dreams.

I like the somewhat circular nature of this story (you'll see when you read it). It feels like there's
Erin
Sep 07, 2014 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
absolutely chilling - couldn't sleep after reading it.
Kaethe
Jul 14, 2014 Kaethe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: creepy
An amazingly creepy story that also reminds me of the horror comics of my youth. Really creepy.
Win
Jan 24, 2016 Win rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
creepy
Sharon
Jul 13, 2016 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this, and I not a horror person.
Konrad Litwin
May 22, 2015 Konrad Litwin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very short but title very apt. I agree that button boy is the book that should have been written.
Jennifer Giles
Jul 19, 2013 Jennifer Giles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story haunts my dreams...infinitely creepy.
Tom Otis
Tom Otis rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2016
Justine
Justine marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Momo
Momo marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Joni Peters
Joni Peters rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2016
Christa
Christa rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2016
Vro
Vro rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2016
Shannon Wamback
Shannon Wamback marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Johnny Taco
Johnny Taco marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Marsha Davidson
Marsha Davidson marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Mark Sheehan
Mark Sheehan marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
David Ahearn
David Ahearn marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was ok
Jun 16, 2016
Sam
Sam rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2016
Simon Franks-Allen
Simon Franks-Allen marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Sharon Jones
Sharon Jones marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
nicole
nicole marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Owen
Owen rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2016
Rena
Rena marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Dead in the Water
  • Whispers in the Night
  • Dread in the Beast
  • Crying Girl, The
  • Grave Markings
  • The Signalman & Other Ghost Stories
  • Black and Orange (Black & Orange, #1)
  • Stained
  • The Man on the Ceiling
  • Final Hour (Short Story) (Kindle Single)
  • Scary Stories
  • 8 Pounds: Eight Tales of Crime, Horror, & Suspense
  • The Dark House
  • Tales of Terror (Dracula, Frankenstein, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, The Phantom of the Opera, and 13 More Works of Vampires, Ghosts, and Classic Horror)
  • Slut Lullabies
  • Boogie Knights
  • Golden & Grey: The Nightmares That Ghosts Have
  • Horrors! 365 Scary Stories
Joseph Hillstrom King (born 1972) is an American writer of fiction and comic books, writing under the pen name of Joe Hill.

As of 2016 he has published four novels, a collection of short stories, a six-volume graphic novel series, and more. His most recent novel, The Fireman, debuted at #1 on the New York Times Bestseller list, and his novel Horns was made into a movie starring Daniel Radcliffe.

Hil