A Dark Sicilian Secret

A Dark Sicilian Secret

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  346 ratings  ·  44 reviews
She can run...

Lethally attractive Vittorio d'Severano was everything Jillian Smith wanted - until she discovered his secret life, and her dreams of a happy-ever-after crumbled into dust... Brokenhearted and terrified, Jill disappeared.

But she can't hide!

Now Vitt has returned - to claim the tiny son Jill has sworn to keep from him! But to stay with her child, she must put

Mass Market Paperback, Harlequin Presents #3007, 192 pages
Published July 19th 2011 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2011)

RLA
The heroine Jill has spent the last year or so running from her ex lover Vitt, the hero. Jill ran from their relationship after being told that Vitt is involved in the Mafia. She later discovered she was pregnant and kept this information from him, until he discovered she had had his son quite by accident. Vitt is determined to gain access to his son, and deeply hurt by Jill's actions. When he confronts Jill he insists she marry him otherwise he will take their son back to Sicily without her. Th...more
Jenny
Steamy and intense read. Heroine run away because she thought hero was a mobster then she found out she was pregnant. Months later hero is back to claim his baby boy. He asks heroine to marry him otherwise he will take custody of his son.

They marry and Jill realizes how wrong she was about Vitt. He is not a mobster, he is a decent good man and Jill had misjudged him. He is a sweet father and husband and Jill starts to finally feel safe for the first time in her life. Still her own secret past t...more
Booklover
This was a good read,i really liked the plot and Vitt but disliked Jill a lot,i can fully understand her fears,she had suffered a lot cause of her father who is a really selfish cruel disgusting man who only thought about himself and cause of his actions his family specially Jill and Katie suffered a lot and they kept running from the age of 14 but when she came to know that may be Vitt is also connected to Mafios immediately she searched in net and read all articles and just based on that she r...more
Kate
A bit darker than most HP, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. The hero and heroine are strong characters, each trying to escape their families' ties to the mafia. I'm not really sure what ties them together except for great sex and somewhat similar backgrounds. In most books, it really bugs me when the relationship only seems sexual, but this time it didn't. Maybe because it was a reunion story, I could easily buy that they were in love before the book started and didn't need it in the book.

However,...more
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Originally posted at: http://longandshortreviews.blogspot.c...

Looking for an adrenaline rush? Jane Porter’s A Dark Sicilian Secret is an exciting, fast-paced romance that will keep a reader on the edge of his or her seat while tugging at the heart.

Jill takes her baby and runs from the father, Vitt. Why would she do such a thing? A rumor led her to do some research on her own, and it seems her beloved Sicilian hunk is not the good guy who captured her heart in the first place.

In a dramatic begi...more
Lynn Harris
I just love a good Jane Porter book! The angst and drama are always intense, and I really enjoy that. Jane has a way of making the reader squirm. For some, that might not be pleasant. But it totally works for me! I love the intensity of a Jane Porter romance. I'm a huge fan.
Jessica
I usually am not a big fan of mob/mafia related books, but that connection didn't bother me with A Dark Sicilian Secret. Jill and Vitt's families had mafia ties, but the story wasn't about the mafia, it was about Jill and Vitt, which made me happy. Vitt seemed really dangerous and evil when we first met him because all the reader got was Jill's point of view. But when the point of view changed to Vitt and we got to learn their whole past, I really started to like him. He is such a sweet and cari...more
Tasneem
A FIRST READS book.

I found this a fairly annoying read actually. I adored Vitt, he is the perfect hero, but Jill is just so foolish, even when she is supposedly cunning. She runs because of a comment made by an 18 year old maid. She does some research, but doesn't read about Vitt's father's shooting, or his business ventures. She doesn't seem to know who she works for, doesn't question anything but is supposedly so smart that she is totally able to alter her idenitity. Really? I just found her i...more
Fiona Marsden
Mar 22, 2012 Fiona Marsden rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who like dark complicated heroes
Recommended to Fiona by: Liked the Blurb
I've read a number of Jane Porters Books and have a stack of them on my TBR piles. I love Jane's writing style and while I sometimes find her modern heroine's a little overpowering they are always very real and engaging. A Dark Sicilian Secret is my very favourite of Jane's books I have read so far. So much so that I keep it on my iPhone for rereading on random occasions. With TBR piles as high as I have that suggests a pretty special book. Vittorio is a hero to die for, dark and secret with tra...more
Aimee (Coffee Table Reviews)
I love Harlequin romance novels. I usually read so many I only review a few of them since most seem to blend together. But something about this one set it off from most of the others and I really hope to see more like this one.

Harlequin romance novels usually aren't guy friendly. Meaning, the guy is usually in the fault somehow, trying to right a wrong and spends his time trying to make the woman fall for him again so he can make it up to her for the rest of her life. This did not follow that fo...more
Lee
I love Jane Porter's books and this was another one that kept me up, reading it all in one sitting. I adored Vitt. I fell for him from the minute he made an appearance in the story. I only wish the book had been longer! Porter has combined all the drama and passion readers have come to expect from a Harlequin Presents and delivered it in a well-crafted, unforgettable sexy read! If you love hot, intensely passionate and heart-wrenching stories, don't miss this one!
Moran
One of the best Presents books I read so far this year!

I don't agree with the other reviews- I didn't think the heroine was stupid- I thought she was a strong and brave woman that tried to raise her son and give him a better life that she had.

Miglet
This is a damn good Jane Porter Presents. Hers are always exceptional, but, seriously, I loved the journey the heroine takes to love and trust.

Highly recommend.
KarenB
very annoying Stupid heroine...
Tags: Harlequin, Jane Porter, Romance, baby, Italian, secrets, intrigue, mob connections, secret identity

Review:
I rolled my eyes when I first saw the description of this book. It reads as so much melodrama and it is in fact a melodrama (defined in the Merriam-Webster dictionary as having a theatrical or sensational quality). That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed the story.

Jillian Smith is in hiding trying to protect her infant son from his father. Vittorio d’Severano knows why Jillian ran but h...more
Tali
I really didn't like this one. I found Vittorio to be too horrible a male lead to like or even want the heroine to end up with. The mafia story was half-interesting and half-annoying at the same time, but I don't get why, having learnt his wife was in witness protection, Vittorio then makes her confess her true identity to him despite it putting her in danger. He's so busy going on about secrets that it's like he disregards the fact that some secrets are there for a reason. Also, for someone who...more
Vanessa
Donna McBroom-Theriot
It’s been a long time since I’ve picked up a Harlequin Romance Novel. Jane Porter’s ‘A Dark Sicilian Secret’ reminded me why I loved them so much. After all, what red-blooded woman wouldn’t want a tall, dark, and handsome man to sweep her off her feet. That’s exactly what happens to Jillian Smith.
Raised the daughter of a mob king pen, she lives her childhood in witness protection. Graduating from college, she escapes to Europe where she meets Vittorio d’Severano. She flees upon learning he may...more
Caro
Another good book. This was tense and emotional which made the happy moments more touching. Good characters and depth of personalities. A softer version and not really much suspense but pretty good. I did get aggravated in several spots and was urging the characters on. I wouldn't mind reading again, but more for something to read. Overall good, but not great. Enjoy
Kari
I loved this book! This is my first Jane Porter book, but I will definitely be reading more. I love the fast-pace storyline, and the characters involvement in mysterious organizations. I do wish the book had been longer, however, it is simply because I wanted to know more information about how this book ends, and how Jillian and Vittorio's life plays out. I think there is definitely room for more with these characters. Jane has definitely put a lot of drama into a genre that can sometimes be all...more
Kiru Taye
This is a great read and I enjoyed reading it. Alpha male, strong female, strong conflict.
Should have been 5 stars but there was just something missing that I've come to expect in Jane Porter books (I'm a huge fan, by the way) -- That intense emotional pull that connects me with the heroine and makes me fall in love with the hero from get-go. I have to admit I abandoned this story halfway through which I never do when I'm reading Jane Porter stories. But I'm glad I finished it. It is a great st...more
Onesia Juliana
Sometimes secret are meat to be told and get over it this book shows how we ca leave in others mistakes.
Monica Tillery
Quintessential Harlequin Presents--I loved this one by Jane Porter because for once in this genre, the heroine has a secret bigger than her perceived imperfections, or her slight misstep or whatever.
Jillian is actually a unique heroine with a real past, real secrets, and real danger! I loved Vittorio, and I loved that he took charge and wouldn't be the bad guy that Jillian figured him to be. A Dark Sicilian Secret actually surprised me, which is tough to do in category romance, and I enjoyed the...more
Zoe
I wonder if this is what they call pulp fiction. I don't want to flatter the author but .... well, I don't know.

Vittorio reminds me of Lucien Antonescu from Meg Cabot's Insatiable.
He sounds like the perfect guy. Guys like him can't exist. I like Vittorio though! He is the ultimate alpha male like Jill said.

I felt like there was more focus on the sex than the actual story behind Jill's various identities. Not that I didn't like the sex scenes but I felt that Jane tried to rush the storyline.

Marisa
Excellent book - not sure all issues were resolved in the end though and would have given it 3.5 stars if I could for that. The idea of HEA given the problems with organized crime, witness protection etc. was just not realistic enough for me. However, an excellent read - not like your usual harlequin books. Wish the ending had been tied together a little bit neater.
Anna
I actually really enjoyed it. However, a part of me wishes that we got to see the first time Jill and Vitt actually met instead of where it picks up. Also, (view spoiler) I'd actually read it again.
Marina Andreou
Η συγραφεας Jane γραφει ΚΑΤΑΠΛΗΚΤΙΚΑ!!!Απο την αρχη με τραβηξε η ιστορια..με αποροφησε τοσο πολυ ωστε δεν καταλαβα οτι εφτασα στο τελος του βιβλιου.Τωρα θα προσπαθησω να βρω και αλλα βιβλια αυτης της θαυμασιας Συγραφεας.Το βιβλιο εχει ενταση,παθος,..και παρα πολλα αλλα!!!Που ειλικρινα χαρηκα που διαλεξα να αγορασω το βιβλιο της.
Lynda
I won this book on Goodreads Firstreads. Along with this book I received another book "Flirting with Forty" and a book bag and lots of others goodies so I want to Thank the Author for that. This book was a fast read very sexy. This was the first Harlequin book that I have read and I found it pretty basic. Nice story line.
Tracie
This was definitely a page turner and a strong 3.5. I stayed up to finish it. The story could have worked better in a longer format. I was kept guessing as to how everything would work out. I'm not sure I can buy how everything was so neatly tied up.
Tia
Read in 2011.

This book was kind of funny in a weird way. The heroine definitely jumped to conclusions and got her facts wrong but who could blame her when the hero was that much of a brooding, threatening, arrogant man.
  • The Matchmaker Bride
  • Behind the Palace Walls
  • Scandal: Unclaimed Love-Child
  • The Society Wife
  • A Spanish Awakening
  • The Heir from Nowhere
  • The Real Rio D'Aquila (Orisini Brides, #2)
  • Untamed Italian, Blackmailed Innocent (Harlequin Presents, #2911)
  • Unlocking her Innocence
  • His Unknown Heir
  • The Forbidden Ferrara (Ferrara #2)
  • Forgotten Daughter (Bad Blood, #7)
  • Marriage Made on Paper
  • Not a Marrying Man
  • Once Touched, Never Forgotten (Harlequin Presents #3034)
Born in Visalia, California, I'm a small town girl at heart. I love central California's golden foothills, oak trees, and the miles of farmland. In my mind, there's nothing sweeter in the world than the heady fragrance of orange blossoms on a sultry summer night.

As a little girl I spent hours on my bed, staring out the window, dreaming of far off places, fearless knights, and happy-ever-after endi...more
More about Jane Porter...
Mrs. Perfect Odd Mom Out Flirting with Forty She's Gone Country The Good Woman