Start by marking “Screenwriting for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Screenwriting for Dummies

Screenwriting for Dummies

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  198 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Write a great script and get it into the hands of the Hollywood players! So you want to be a screenwriter? Whether you want to write a feature film or a TV script or adapt your favorite book, this friendly guide gives you expert advice in everything from creating your story and developing memorable characters to formatting your script and selling it to the studios. You get ...more
Published February 2nd 2011 by For Dummies (first published January 31st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Screenwriting for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Screenwriting for Dummies

Lauren
Sep 11, 2012 Lauren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing-books
Very simple, basic introduction to screenwriting. Would be good for people who were entirely new to screenwriting. Possibly a good read before you jump into the other two screenwriting books I recommend, The Screenwriter's Bible and Invisible Ink.
Lance Greenfield
Dec 28, 2015 Lance Greenfield rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have yet to find a "... for Dummies" book that has disappointed me.

This is also a good one and it is on my shelf waiting for the day when I write my first screen play.
Katherine Nader
Jun 16, 2013 Katherine Nader rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: writers, authors
Shelves: manuals
Anyone who wants to start screenwriting should first read this book. If you've already been screenwriting for a while and you've been having a lot of success then you probably won't need it. I started screenwriting last year, but I not only have trouble with format I also have trouble with connecting all three acts sometimes. However, this book has solved many, if not all, of my problems with screenwriting.

I didn't get hooked until Chapter 6-7 when Schellhardt began discussing how to plot the be
Waad Ak
May 28, 2014 Waad Ak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
it's a great book for who want to start writing for movies . Simple English and simple ideas any one can understand it . The English is my second language , I found some difficult with some English book but this one is very simple and I like it.
Christian
Pretty informative. The three plot parts 'beginnings, middles, and endings' was the most informative part. I enjoyed reading it, and Laura Schellhardt has good advice, but it seemed very basic.
marc
Mar 16, 2015 marc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
grat guide
Aaron Glett
Oct 16, 2012 Aaron Glett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While most other books give you the bread and butter, this book gave you a lot of formatting cues that the other books don't give you. I would read this in addition to other books I've read on screenwriting.
Jared
Apr 15, 2011 Jared rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good summary of what needs to be known and thought about. I need to reread it and do more research on what the author brings up. This book is helpful, I recommend it for a beginner like me.
Loni
Jan 09, 2009 Loni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was complete and helpful. The author's optimism may be too generous though. If read, I highly recommend reading Your Screenplay Sucks! in addition--they compliment each other well.
Jon
Mar 10, 2011 Jon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book to help me with writing. This is a great book to compliment the "Filmmaking For Dummies" book by the same publisher. It covers a wide variety of screenwriting types and methods.
Ahmad Al Tukhaifi
Jan 07, 2012 Ahmad Al Tukhaifi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was at a loss before reading this but it helped me a LOT. Very easy to follow & helpful to all aspiring screenwriters.
Johanna
May 29, 2014 Johanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sort of finished it, sort of skimmed the interesting parts. To buy/get out again sometime.
Frank Kelly
Oct 24, 2011 Frank Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Helpful for my secret project!!
Karen
Apr 16, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Informed, easy to follow and inspiring!
Dwayne
Apr 29, 2011 Dwayne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book for aspiring screenwriters.
Teeny
Feb 24, 2013 Teeny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fact is, I never finished this...
Anders Riise koch
Anders Riise koch marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Michael Valverde
Michael Valverde rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Katie Loucks
Katie Loucks marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Celine Tsoi
Celine Tsoi marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
Eline
Eline is currently reading it
Georg
Georg marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Mahmoud
Mahmoud marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Tony Jackson
Tony Jackson is currently reading it
Jan 18, 2016
Robert
Robert added it
Jan 18, 2016
Sneha
Sneha marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
  • Filmmaking for Dummies
  • How Not to Write a Screenplay: 101 Common Mistakes Most Screenwriters Make
  • If It's Purple, Someone's Gonna Die: The Power of Color in Visual Storytelling
  • Comedy Writing Secrets: The Best-Selling Book on How to Think Funny, Write Funny, Act Funny, And Get Paid For It
  • Film Theory: An Introduction Through the Senses
  • The Filmmaker's Eye: Learning (and Breaking) the Rules of Cinematic Composition
  • The Screenwriter's Bible: A Complete Guide to Writing, Formatting, and Selling Your Script
  • How to Write a Damn Good Novel, II: Advanced Techniques For Dramatic Storytelling
  • Screenwriting: The Sequence Approach
  • The Joy of Writing Sex: A Guide for Fiction Writers
  • Chess For Dummies
  • The Tools of Screenwriting: A Writer's Guide to the Craft and Elements of a Screenplay
  • Copyediting & Proofreading for Dummies
  • Description & Setting
  • The Makeup Artist Handbook: Techniques for Film, Television, Photography, and Theatre
  • Digital SLR Cameras & Photography for Dummies