Like Gold Refined (A Prairie Legacy, # 4)

Like Gold Refined (A Prairie Legacy #4)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  1,170 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Virginia and Jonathan open their home to a young girl, only to face losing her when her troubled mother reappears. Prairie Legacy book 4.
Paperback, Large Print, 253 pages
Published April 1st 2000 by Bethany House Publishers

Love Comes Softly by Janette OkeWhen Calls the Heart by Janette OkeThe Sacred Shore by Janette OkeThe Meeting Place by Janette OkeThe Birthright by Janette Oke
Best Janette Oke book
22nd out of 40 books — 14 voters
Treasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonGoldfinger by Ian FlemingThe Hobbit, or There and Back Again by J.R.R. TolkienThe Gold Bug by Edgar Allan PoeThe Arabian Nights by Anonymous
All that Glitters...
165th out of 182 books — 34 voters

More lists with this book...

Christy Miller
All the books before this last one helped build up to it and make it as great as it was. You grow with the characters and laugh with them and cry with them. This book had to be one of my favorites in the series and one of the most touching. I don't normally cry reading books or watching movies or anything like that, but this had me crying towards the end. I really enjoyed living with the characters. Such a great book.
Cheryl
This would be an ok series for a teen girl to read although I'm not too pleased with some of it's messages. I found it to be a bit preachy for my taste as well as a bit far-fetched at times. I don't particularly like the message that one should stay friends with someone who just uses and mistreats you and for whom you have only a small amount of affection just for the sake of saving their soul. Also, it implies that if you live in the city and don't settle down and start a family, you are a sinn...more
Rishi
The only reason I gave this book three stars instead of four is because sometimes the story seems a bit far reaching. For instance, the main character can never seem to "let go" of a friendship. When that friendship tests everything she has known she seems to melt and doesn't act as responsibly as I thought she would. It was as if she were the 13 year old again rather than the adult.

I however have never been in this kind of situation so I could be wrong.

This book is a conclusion to the life of...more
Cristina
Sue
The final novel in the series ended with some drama over Virginia's long-time wayward friend, Jenny, and her daughter, Mindy. I like the way Oke's deep faith helps the the characters come to terms with life and circumstances, but I found it annoying that through the entire series Virginia makes assumptions and questions things in her mind so the reader hears the question, but doesn't ask the people around her. So her assumptions are often wrong and I found myself frequently thinking that she was...more
Jana
I listened to the audiobook. I had put off reading this author in the past because I feared her novels would be too sappy, but I have found it nice to hear stories of people who face real-life troubles and situations with faith.
I did find Virginia a bit too long-suffering with her relationship with Jenny through the series. I felt like she was just leaving herself open for abuse.
I also found most characters to be a bit slow on the uptake and their wit to be less than stellar.
All that aside, I...more
Heather Bassett
This book is such a heart gripping story to read, and it was wonderful to read another story with clark in it. All of Janette oke's books are wonderful reads! Here we follow the story of a step family's love for a child, and that child getting her mother to accept Christ as her savior by showing her the love that it seems no one else could show her quite right. I was glad to have finally read this book
Becky
I loved this book along with most of Janette Oakes but I had a hard time believing a judge would bother to hear the case of a dying woman who can't take care of herself, and wanting to take her child back from the only family she has ever known. I found the supposed 'friendship' between Jenny and Virginia was always the same, Jenny taking be Virginia gritting her teeth and trying to ignore her anger. There was never any real affection, and it was hard to believe that Virginia could even feel the...more
Larisha
This was the 4th book in the series and I love how Janette Oke ties everything up :). What rings true in the lessons in this book & of course life is to treasure life's moments. If we don't learn to treasure the moments, you will never be able to treasure the memories. Some of life's lessons are not easy, but we can rest knowing God has a plan - for our good & HIS Glory - and if we are obedient we walk - however long or short or rocky or flowery... Confident that God is with us!!!
Annalisa
Christine
I can't guarantee that anyone else would find this book all that spectacular, but I did. I have only read two books that I could believe were written especially for me and that it didn't mattter if anyone else ever read it. This is the second one. If my opinion leads you to want to read the book, I would read the 3 books in the series previous to this because knowing the journey of the main character is significant.
Belcantomom
I want to read this series from the beginning. I've been chatting with Jared that I want a love sotry of a woman who is confident in her marriage and living "the rest of her life". I can't find anything. Jared reminded me, "then where would the conflict be?" I still think it can be done without having dying children all the time. Janette Oke has done it. I'll be reading more of hers. :-)
F
Any reader will find some good in this remarkable, thought-provoking book. However, all readers who have faced the heart-rending issues in dealing with aging parents / grandparents should read this novel. Also, every reader who has experienced the anxiety, trials & tribulations in a child custody case should carefully peruse the pages of this novel. This is definitely a 5-star book!
Sharon
This is the last book in the prairie legacy that follows the love comes softy series. All twelve books were captivating and made me feel like I was part of the family. The beginning years with Marty and Clark and their children to follow was like going through time with the turning of each page. I loved the ending. What a lovely way to end the series. Thank you Janette Oke.
Ruth
This was a pretty hard read for me as an adult (gut wrenching), so unsure as to how young girls might handle this one (teens should be okay). A definite re-read that wraps up the Love Comes Softly & The Prarie Legacy series. All should best be enjoyed in order. Probably my very favorite inspirational family EVER in these 2 series. A must read of Christian/ inspirational reads.
Rachel
this was like one of the most emotional books in the series. It has to do majorly with a fight for custody of a little girl...and the characters' spiritual battles throughout the whole thing are so well written. I definitely felt like this one taught me about trust in God... even if it was through a fiction story ;)
Gabrielle
this is an amazing book!
after 11 other books you know all the characters and feel like you are friends...
im so sad the series ended but it was amazing to get to laugh, cry, and live with marty clark and all their children grandchildren and great grandchildren...
A nice read, but a lot of sad moments. Thankfully, she left off one potentially really sad moment. It's not my favorite of the series, but it does have some good moments to keep the story moving along to the end. The epilogue is beautiful.
Kristy
A great ending to the series. Finally Virginia sees all her prayers and friendship for Jenny actually result in something good. And I felt so bad/proud for Mindy choosing to go live with her real mother when she was sick.
Caroline
The author wrote this book to say that some things are worth the risk to get keep someone you love. But some times you need to let that person go in time they will come back. If it is God's plan for them to come back.
Saralyn
Another solid book. Heart-rending. I had to put the book down for a week because I had such a hard time reading part of it. I really fell in love with these characters over the series.
Lynnea
About three years lapse between book three and this one. Excellent ending to the series. However,there were times the book felt rushed... skipping months at a time and being very brief.
Carolyn
I love how the characters face real life struggles. I'm impressed with how Virginia doesn't give up on her so-called friend. I don't think I would have the same patience.
Christine
At the end! This book was much better than the rest. More involved. Interesting. Glad of the ending. Think that I will share these books and then keep them for my granddaughter!
Kaitlin
I would have given it 2 stars but I gave it a 3 because the book made me fall in love again with Marty and Clark Davis. The ending could have been better!!
Meghan
I could not start enjoying the book until it was more than half over. I found Virginia and Johnathan to be incredibly selfish throughout in more ways than one.
Bethany
Oustanding end to this series. I love it. I'm really glad I read this series. It was enjoyable, wholesome, and really really sweet.
Breena
I appreciate this whole story. Especially young Mindy's expression of faith with her birth mother. Heart breaking at times. So so good!
Christy
Dawnmcd
An enjoyable conclusion to Virginia's story, A but mushy and redundant but I still really enjoyed it.
  • Tender Mercies (Red River of the North, #5)
  • The Damascus Way (Acts of Faith, #3)
  • Where the Wild Rose Blooms (Rocky Mountain Memories #1)
  • The Solitary Envoy (Heirs of Acadia, #1)
  • A Fragile Design (Bells of Lowell, #2)
  • Sweet Boundless (The Diamond of the Rockies #2)
  • Daughter of the Loom (Bells of Lowell, #1)
Janette Oke writes with a profound simplicity of what she knows best—real life, honest love, and lasting values. With over 23 million in sales, her historical novels portray the lives of early North American settlers from many walks of life and geographical settings. She also writes engaging children's stories and inspiring gift books that warm the heart.

Janette was born during the depression year...more
More about Janette Oke...
Love Comes Softly (Love Comes Softly, #1) When Calls the Heart (Canadian West #1) Love's Enduring Promise (Love Comes Softly #2) Love's Long Journey (Love Comes Softly #3) Love's Abiding Joy (Love Comes Softly #4)