4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  217,536 ratings  ·  3,412 reviews
MISERY by Stephen King (BBC Radio Drama)

Paul Sheldon, a writer of historical romances, is in a car accident; rescued by nurse Annie Wilkes, he slowly realizes that salvation can be worse than death. Sheldon has killed off Misery Chastain, the popular protagonist of his Misery series and Annie, who has a murderous past, wants her back.
Written by Stephen King; Dramatised by...more
Published November 1st 1988 by New English Library (first published 1987)

The Stand by Stephen KingIt by Stephen KingThe Shining by Stephen KingMisery by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen King
Best of Stephen King
4th out of 119 books — 2,049 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Best Books Ever
314th out of 32,449 books — 123,066 voters

More lists with this book...

Kate
'Misery' is a gruesome story of torture with blood, guts, and a psychopath. It's a well told tale, the characters are well developed and the fact that there are only two of them never gets boring. It's a real page turner, in fact I finished it tonight after getting off the subway on the platform before I walked home. But, this book is more than just a thriller, just like King is more than just a pulp writer.

I read an article by the ever optimistic and cheerful Harold Bloom in college about how d...more
Trudi

I've been re-visiting some of my King All-star Team this year as audiobooks and am reminded yet again that Uncle Steve is The Man. No matter what asshats and embittered douchebags like "literary critic" Harold Bloom say, King is one of the greatest storytellers in any language of all time, full stop. Is everything he's written pure gold? Of course not. Given the sheer size of the man's canon, that's to be expected. But even when I think King has put up something less than stellar, I always feel...more
Mary JL
Jun 20, 2010 Mary JL rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any horror OR mystery fan
Recommended to Mary JL by: Fan of author
Shelves: mystery-horror
You may have seen the movie or you at least know the story. So, you think, why read it? Well, first the book differs somewhat from the move and goes into more depth. Since there are only really two major characers, Anne Wilkes and Paul Sheldon, her captive writer, King can delve into their characters at length--and he does.

I personally feel this is one of Stepehn King's strongest books. I particulary find it horrifying because it is a bit more possible that some of his books. I don't really beli...more
Rola
و سوف أفرد تفصيليا أسباب تقييمى هذا إن شاء الله

-----------------

تحديث

أما عن ستيفن كينج فحدث و لا حرج
روائى بارع هو و استطاع ان يحبس أنفاسي حقا ... بل و يشعرنى بجميع آلام بول النفسية و الجسدية فى كل مرحلة عاشها خلال الرواية
الرواية ممتعة إلى أقصى حد
و كما قلت فى أثناء تقييمى خلال القراءة
أنا أعشق الفيلم حقا و كاثى بيتس فى دور آنى كانت أكثر من رائعة
مخيفة إلى أبعد حد و صادقة
و ما توقع...more
Alice Lee
My first time ever picking up Stephen King, it was this book. And ever since then, my entire reading list was everything he's ever written, and I hailed Stephen King as my favorite author for years. Of course by now, having read most of his works, I wouldn't still say he's "the best writer ever". He's definitely produced some trash along with a few treasures. Misery is, without a question, one of the treasures.

Before Misery I had no idea that it was possible to sit at the edge of my seat, litera...more
Bonnie
Update: I haven't been here for a while (writing reviews, that is) so I didn't realize this required a (view spoiler). Also, I haven't been receiving updates until recently, so my apologies for not doing this sooner. And ~ I have a feeling I haven't used the correct format, re: spoiler alert, but I hope it will serve as sufficient warning.

No doubt there are many Stephen King fans who loved this book, but personally I am not into reading about chopping off a foot, and the...more
Felina
Jordan Gregory
Of course, I've seen the movie. Many, many times. Kathy Bates is uh-mazing, and always freaks my shit out in that movie.
The book is even freakier.

Misery is now the one and only Stephen King book I've read, and I didn't want to like it as much as I did. I always imagined King's writing to be simplistic, and even terse; such writing would make for great screenplays (and great movies (Kathy Bates!)), but not necessarily high art. I mean, how can an author THAT major actually be worth reading? #sn...more
Jane
Where I got the book: well, I was staying in my niece's old room while I was in England, my sister and her husband being happy empty nesters, and there it was on the shelf. A tattered mmpb with exactly the schlocky cover shown above, its pages yellowed like the teeth of a 100-year-old smoker, smelling faintly of mildew even though the room was dry and pleasant. A used bookstore buy, or a borrow?

I have not read Stephen King (except for On Writing) since some time in the 80s when something in The...more
Judy
I have checked, unchecked and checked again the Horror box for my book shelves on this one. I've always interpreted the term horror to refer to a genre of books where there is some kind of supernatural entity causing people to be, well, horrified. Like a creepy clown who comes out of the storm drains. Or a hotel that's possessed by evil spirits. Or a young girl who can move objects with the power of her mind.

In "Misery," the object of fear is a dumpy ex-nurse named Annie, living alone in the Ro...more
John
This has vaulted over almost every other Stephen King book I've read to my top spot, tied with Salems' Lot. I'll have to read Salems' Lot again to see if it really as as good as I remember. Misery is great, completely engrossing.
This book reminded me of something King said in "On Writing", about the writing process. He said to him sometimes, writing was like excavating a dinosaur skeleton. You find just a rib at first, that's like the initial idea. But the whole story is there, it's just buried...more
Meli
Muuuuuuuuuuuuuy buen libro, no podía soltarlo.
Hacía mucho que no sufría TANTO con una historia, soñé dos noches seguidas que intentaba rescatar a Paul.

RESEÑA COMPLETA
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
I believe this is one of King's best-written stories I've read, and it's my least favorite kind of horror: the psychotic killer. But King really brought me into this world and made me a co-participant in the nightmare that one frustrated writer is experiencing. It has its in your face, gory moments, but it's very character driven in that the main protagonist spends quite a while alone initially. He has to come to terms with his situation and deal with the intense pain he is in, as well as his fe...more
paris

تمر أحداث هذه الرواية أمامك كـ أحداث فيلم سينمائي
سريعة وتخطف الأنفاس ..
مفاجأة في كل سطر ورعب في كل صفحة ..

الرواية عن الروائي ( بول شيلدون ) الذي يجد نفسه محتجزاً في منزل امرأة مجنونة ( آني ويلوكس - الممرضة التي تحتجز الكاتب في منزلها و هي أيضاً معجبة بكتاباته )
وذلكَ بعد تعرضه لحادث سيارة في منطقة شبه معزولة ..

اقتبس البطل من إحدى الروايات : " كانَ من الممكن أن يأتي شخْصٌ ما ، ويخفف من روع الصبي ، ولكن لم يأْتِ أحد ........ لأَنه لا يوجَد أحد "
...

هذا الإقتباس يلخص كلَ رعبه وعجزه ، والوضع الغريب...more
Stefan
Misery is one of those rare novels that I feel a sense of relief to be finished with. Not to be misconstrued as any sort of dislike for the novel, on the contrary, King did such a good job of making me feel uncomfortable with his character's predicament that I experienced an actual physical feeling of relief to be done with it.

Overall, Misery is a very well-written novel that is not a horror in the traditional sense (no supernatural creatures or spooky things to give you the creepy-crawlies or m...more
Alex
There are lots of guys out there who write a better prose line than I do and who have a better understanding of what people are really like and what humanity is supposed to mean - hell, I know that. But when the counsellor asks Did he [write a gripping, effective plot] about those guys, sometimes only a few people raise their hands. But they raise their hands for me...Can I? Yeah. You bet I can.
Misery is terrifically effective metafiction - a great, archetypal plot, brilliant in its simplicity....more
Rola
الحقيقة أنا منبهرة لأقصى درجة
لقد قرأت النسخة المترجمة الكاملة عن الرواية الأصلية و لقد استمتعت بنسخة د. أحمد أكثر
رغم أنها مترجمة بتصرف كما تفضل د. أحمد بالذكر فى مقدمة العدد
إنه لأمر هام للغاية أن يترجم العمل الأدبى بواسطة أديب
روح مختلفة تمسك حين القراءة و تشعر أنك بصدد عمل أدبى ممتع بالفعل و ليس مجرد نقل خاوى أجوف لرواية مبدعة
الخمس نجمات كان لابد منها تقديرا للأديب المترجم الذى مسح عنى عذابات الترجمة الأصلية للرواية
أما عن ستيفن كينج فلا يحتاج منى تقييما آخر
رائع و مبدع و فذ بلا مزيد
Diletta
Esistono essenzialmente tre tipologie di libri: quelli buoni, quelli mediocri, e quelli che non si sfangano (da questi parte un'ulteriore diramazione, quelli che tireremmo contro il muro).
La prima tipologia ha il vantaggio di farsi riconoscere subito: sappiamo immediatamente quando abbiamo tra le mani un buon libro. Quando procediamo senza accorgercene, quando non dobbiamo contare le pagine che mancano per finire il capitolo, quando non ci soffermiamo con aria di profondo interesse su un simpat...more
عمرو الجندى

من البداية حتى الصفحة 104

الرواية حتى الآن ممتعة .. تداخلات الخيوط المختلفة ودمجها أكثر من رائع .. أعتقد ان بول سيعانى كثيرا .. كثيرا جدا من ص 40 حتى 105 كما توقعت تزايد معاناة بول .. الوصف النفسى الرائع لستيفين وتغلغله فى الهوية والاحساس النفسى مع مشاهد الفلاش باك وايضا ربطها بالاحداث الحالية رائع جدا اقرا الرواية على مهل وهناك بعض الصفحات التى اقراها اكثر من 10 مرات ان جاز التعبير مما يدل على تفوق ستيفين .. ا. يتبع

من صفحة 105 حتى 230

ما قبل الوصول الى ذكريات انى وليكس
تزداد المعاناة مع ا...more
Chiara Pagliochini

Misera me, misery tutti

Comincerò col dire che questo libro è stata una delle letture più stimolanti di tutto l’anno. E questo a dispetto della didascalia in copertina, secondo la quale avrei dovuto leggere “un capolavoro dell’horror, un incubo raccapricciante etc”. Non credo che mi sarei sentita stimolata o anche solo interessata se il buon King mi avesse propinato una roba simile.

Tutto ha inizio quando Paul Sheldon, scrittore celebre per aver dato vita alla saga di Misery, rimane coinvolto in...more
Heather
This book was INSANE! It was my first real introduction to King (besides the Gunslinger books, which are in a whole other category) and I have to say I absolutely loved it! I couldn't put it down. I have always loved the movie, but it's nothing compared to this. The character development was excellent, the pacing was fantastic, and it was so intense. THIS is how you write a suspense novel, Dean Koontz!

In particular, I loved the character of Annie and how she developed over the course of the book...more
Heba Gharabwy
رواية ميزرى "بؤس" للكاتب ستيفن كينج هى من الروايات الرعب النفسى المعروف بها .
تدور أحداثها حول بطالين وهما الكاتب "بول شيلدون" والممرضة آنى ويليكس" ،و تدور حول حادث يقع للكاتب المشهور "بول شيلدون" فى أحدى الطرق فى الولايات المتحدة الامريكية وتجده السيدة آنى ويليكس –ممرضة- وهى أحد معجباته وتأخذه الى منزلها البعيد فى أحدى المناطق المتطرفة عن السكان ،ثم تتطورالاحداث بشكل مقزز ومرعب للغاية عن طريق معاملة" آنى" " لبول شيلدون" بسبب انها معجبة بأعماله الادبية والتى من اشهرها "ميزرى" فميزرى شخصية فى أحد...more
Jason
I'd never read "Misery" before, and one a whim one night I picked it up from the bookshelf (this is why we have used book sales, folks, always have books to fall back on!) and I was glad I did.

Most of us are familiar with the story by now - Best-selling author Paul Sheldon wrecks his car in Colorado, only to be "rescued" by his Number One Fan, Annie Wilkes. But Annie is more like Number One Psycho, the one fan that every famous hopes they never meet, and begins to torture Paul and forces him to...more
Marvin
HOLY FREAKING SHIT! THIS BOOK SCARED THE CRAP OUT OF ME!

'nough said.
Victor

Loved every page of this one!
Pwntalive
I read this book in Middle School. My mother had gone into a period of getting every king book as it came out. This was one of the 1st BIG novels i ever got into. Wow, what a mind warp for a 7th grader. I remember the feeling of dirty associated with this book. What caused this novel to be connected with such a feeling of profound filthiness? The book opens with the breath of life being breafed into the lungs of Mr. King by a fat woman what just binged on junk food. Imagine being awoken from dea...more
Melissa
Oct 18, 2008 Melissa rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Stephen King Fans, horror fans
Recommended to Melissa by: Required Reading for Fiction Class in College
I had to read this for a course I took in college: Contemporary American Fiction. For me this book was a misery to read. It really wasn't my thing. Stephen King is an excellent author and is obviously very talented, but this isn't the type of book I usually read. It was out of my comfort zone and it wouldn't have been a title I would have read if I had a choice.

What I learned from this book? I learned that while I didn't enjoy the book myself, that Stephen King is an excellent author and I coul...more
Jackie
Another excellent novel by King. Oh how I miss him!
Intense, thrilling, gripping!
I especially liked the novel within a novel aspect of Misery. For some reason I always like that. Maybe because I'm getting two for the price of one. The romance novel of Misery Chastain was surprisingly good. Heretofore, SK was always my horror-guy. Never expected a romance novel from him. And what a unique way to do it.
Annie scared the hell out of me. Insanity and unpredicability is a terrifying combination. And i...more
Marko Rančić
REMEK DELO!!! MASTERPIECE!!!!

Do sada najbolja knjiga Stivena Kinga koju sam procitao!!! Groteskna prica o ljudskoj patnji i nepobedivosti ljudskog duha... samo neko kao King moze ovako nesto da napise!!!!

Prava steta je sto knjiga nikada nije prevedena kod nas..

Pa da krenemo...

Stephen King - Misery
Stiven King - Mizeri (Patnja)

Pol Seldon je svetski poznati pisac ljubavnih romana. Tokom boravka u svojoj vikendici u Koloradu, on na zavejanom planinskom putu dozivljava tesku saobracajnu nesrecu...

Iz...more
Alisha Marie
Misery is only the second Stephen King book I've read with The Stand being the first. So I'm one of his new fans. I've had reservations about picking up his books before because I didn't think that I would really like horror stories (even though I absolutely love horror movies). So this year, as I started venturing a bit into the horror drama, I picked up a stack of his books on ebay. And since then have bought every single book I've seen in of his in used bookstores and library sales.

While I wa...more
Just finished the movie...AGAIN!! 10 81 Jul 13, 2014 04:53AM
Book vs. Movie: Misery 71 442 Apr 07, 2014 12:36PM
Stephen King Fans: Misery 133 404 Dec 25, 2013 08:22PM
What would you do if you were paralyzed, and stuck in somebody's house? 22 179 Dec 19, 2013 04:49AM
Goodreads Librari...: cover change, please 3 43 Jul 28, 2013 12:23PM
  • The Zombie Room
  • Suffer the Children
  • The Throat
  • A Simple Plan
  • The Inhuman Condition  (Books of Blood, #4)
  • 48
  • Night Visions 5
  • Deadline (Newsflesh Trilogy, #2)
Stephen Edwin King was born the second son of Donald and Nellie Ruth Pillsbury King. After his father left them when Stephen was two, he and his older brother, David, were raised by his mother. Parts of his childhood were spent in Fort Wayne, Indiana, where his father's family was at the time, and in Stratford, Connecticut. When Stephen was eleven, his mother brought her children back to Durham, M...more
More about Stephen King...
The Shining (The Shining, #1) The Stand It Carrie The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1)

54 trivia questions