Start by marking “Penelope Goes to Portsmouth (Travelling Matchmaker, #3)” as Want to Read:
Penelope Goes to Portsmouth (Travelling Matchmaker, #3)

Penelope Goes to Portsmouth (The Traveling Matchmaker #3)

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  635 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Kind-hearted Miss Hannah Pym on the stagecoach to Portsmouth realizes beautiful, rich, but practical Miss Penelope Wilkins needs someone to enliven her sheltered life, like handsome and carefree Lord Augustus Railton. Miss Pym uses her matchmaker skills to bridge the gap between their personality differences.
Published 2011 by Robinson Publishing (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Penelope Goes to Portsmouth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Penelope Goes to Portsmouth

Tasneem
Dec 01, 2011 Tasneem rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency
M.C. Beaton is a brilliant writer. Whether it is her Agatha Raisin books or her Hamish Macbeths, or even her Edwardian Murder Mysteries, she is fabulous. And that's not talking about her lovely, lovely romances. I adored this book. I love Miss Pym and she is in fine fettle here. Penelope and Lord Augustus are so different and thus, made for each other. I loved Penelope's practicality, the way she kept shooting him down for his aristocratic ways. Lord Augustus meanwhile was just trying to do what ...more
Mo
I remember reading a slew of Marion Chesney novels when my children were very young. They were just the right kind of light, mindless entertainment that I needed at the time. I had to read things that were very put-downable … books that would not consume me. My free time to read was very limited.

Basically, all of the books in any given Marion Chesney series were the same book. She had a formula, and stuck to it. She changed names, places and circumstances, but the basic plots remained identical.
Yukari Watanabe
Dec 18, 2015 Yukari Watanabe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marion Chesney (M.C. Beaton)'s novels are like "cozy" romance novels. Romantic couples are usually boring, but other characters are so much fun. Great books for cleaning house and washing dishes ( I usually listen Kindle Unlimited Audible version).
Jasbr
Feb 12, 2016 Jasbr added it
Shelves: historisch
M. C. Beaton gehört ja mittlerweile zu meinen liebsten Autoren, die ich in Englisch lese, deswegen habe ich mich auch an ihrer "Travelling Matchmaker"-Reihe versucht.
Bei diesem Buch handelt es sich um den dritten Teil. Alle Teile sind in sich abgeschlossen, man muss die Reihenfolge also nicht zwingend einhalten. Trotzdem rate ich dazu, ganz am Anfang den ersten Teil zu lesen, einfach um besser zu verstehen, wer Hannah Pym (die Hauptfigur) ist und warum sie so handelt, wie sie handelt :)
In ihrem
Lynne Tull
Apr 06, 2011 Lynne Tull rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency-romance
This is one of the few books/series I would read again. These stories of Marion Chesney started me on my adventure...reading Regency Romance/Novels/History! There is not a set of books that will teach you more about the basics about life in Regency England. There are six series with six books each. I love them all. It must be a "past life" thing:)
Pinky
Sep 30, 2013 Pinky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-13
Still enjoyed, but not crazy that Miss Pym is in peril, now. In this third book in the Traveling Matchmaker series, Miss Pym meets a new ragtag bunch on the stage, including a broke Lord, a wealthy American, a naive beauty and a deaf/dumb servant/gambler/? who becomes Miss Pym's footman and who puts the whole group, in particular Miss Pym in jeopardy.
An Odd1
Jan 30, 2014 An Odd1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"an indolent, thoughtless, innocent sort of man that will be continually in scrapes, and that will not get forward with all his extraordinary talents, unlesss somebody take him up and push him on" - Creevey Papers ch 1 p 1
"These poor Might-Have-Beens,
These fatuous, ineffectual Yesterdays!" - W.E. Henley ch 8 p 140
Impossibly perfectly pertinent quotes precede every chapter. Romantic leads may be models outside, but everyone can surprise.

1803 London Flying Machine to coastal Portsmouth. Miss Hann
QNPoohBear
Miss Hannah Pym is off on another adventure on a "flying machine," this time to Portsmouth, where her traveling companions include a prim spinster, an American, a beautiful young merchant's daughter named Penelope and Lord Augustus, a dissipated young rake. Hannah dreams of making a match between Penelope and Lord Augustus as well as rescuing a footman in trouble. She embroils herself and her companions in a series of adventures that none of them will ever forget - especially Hannah's enemy. I d ...more
Feb 17, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This, the third book in the Travelling Matchmaker series, was a delight from start to finish. Such a delight, in fact, that I don't know quite what I will do with myself until I track down the final three books - it is aggravating indeed to think that Hannah Pym will be out there, having adventures, making matches, and falling more and more in love with Sir George Clarence, and I will have absolutely no idea of what is going on! Grrrr! Charity bookstores here I come! If 'Rollicking Regency' is y ...more
Gloria Mccracken
More hijinks in the third volume of the escapades of former housekeeper and Traveling Matchmaker Harriet Pym, who outdoes herself this time. Not only does she successfully match up a deserving couple or two (or maybe not all of them so deserving -- you be the judge) but she also receives a marriage proposal herself, sets fire to a house and shoves someone who can't swim into deep water -- all in a good cause. This also features the rare spectacle (in these books) of a truly vicious villain. All ...more
Lauren
Feb 28, 2015 Lauren rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2015
I think I've figured it out: I don't care much for Chesney's characters in this series (all of the couples thus far are insufferable, and even Hannah grates on my nerves in places; at this point, I'm mostly in it for her relationship with Sir George), but I love reading about the wacky misadventures of a group of strangers who, thanks to circumstance, become friends (or more). Chesney completely embraces the ridiculousness of the subplots in this novel.
Danielle
Jul 22, 2014 Danielle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Written in period style, this was a very pleasant read. I enjoyed the characters and whimsical chatter at the start but felt as the book progressed it became rather too cliche. Though this is a predictably happy book, a twist could've added sophistication and made the book less wishy washy.
Rebecca
Mar 17, 2016 Rebecca rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
So disappointed in this series! They started out cute and fun, but ended up being old style recency trash! (Not racey, really, but still trashy all the same.)
Will someone just tell me if Miss Pim ends up with her fella?
Stephen Lawton
Nov 25, 2014 Stephen Lawton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series just gets better and better. This was such a heartwarming and heartfelt tale as Hannah Pym's receives a marriage proposal, acquires a manservant and her feelings for Sir George become clearer. Such a delight!
Helene Harrison
Review - Not the best in the Travelling Matchmaker series, but enjoyable nonetheless. One thing that I didn't really understand was how Lord Augustus could seem so indifferent, and even uncaring, towards Penelope, but he suddenly admits he loves her and wants to marry her. That was a little unrealistic to me. I loved knowing how Hannah rescued Benjamin, because I've read the later books before I read this one, so that was interesting to find out.

Genre - Historical / Romance

Characters - Hannah Py
Karen (Kew)
Jul 11, 2011 Karen (Kew) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book in the Travelling Matchmaker series (the first two books in order are Emily Goes to Exeter (Travelling Matchmaker) and Belinda Goes to Bath (Travelling Matchmaker)) This one is not quite as light and frothy as the first two. As usual Hannah is on the look out for suitable couples to match but things don't go so smoothly this time and now she has made some enemies. She begins to question the future happiness of the people she has matched. There is a lot of humour in the boo ...more
Jamie
Very fun!

This was another good book in the series. Hannah loves adventure and she surely receives it! I am waiting for the nest big adventure.
Leslie
Jun 13, 2014 Leslie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
The Traveling Matchmaker series continues with another adventure and some threats to Hannah.
Tailsmo
Jun 13, 2014 Tailsmo rated it it was ok
A whole series of unlikely plot lines combine to form an enjoyable story.
Rosemary Lavin
Sep 09, 2015 Rosemary Lavin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful light reading. Very funny and sweet. Loved it.
Diane
Apr 14, 2016 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Haha, crazy and funny.
Edel
Jan 18, 2012 Edel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cosy-reads, fiction
This is the adventures of Miss Hannah Pym and Miss Penelope WIlkins while on their way to Portsmouth.On the journey they find themselves in every manner of mischief and meet plenty of colourful characters .The blurb on the back of the book was a bit boring so I was not sure I would like it but I was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed this more then I thought I would and I will be reading the rest in "The Travelling Matchmaker series".
Miley the Book Junkie Reads . . .
Quickie Read - Penelope is clueless in many things and many ways yet Hannah finds something good in her to match her to Lord Augustus. Hannah earns herself an array of enemies while on this particular journey and gains a very good friend. Sir George and Hannah continues to make a connection.

Chesney is over set with matching teens with men in their 30s+.
Wilde Sky
Jun 06, 2013 Wilde Sky rated it really liked it
A woman, who has recently left service after receiving and inheritance, embarks on a horse drawn coach journey and becomes entangled in a near hanging, kidnap, attempted murder and, of course, romance.

This book is full of gentle humour. It is an easy read and provided a couple of hours of entertainment.
Emma
Aug 29, 2015 Emma rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012, box-2
This is another amusing read from the Travelling Matchmaker series. Marion Chesney changes the formula enough each time to make every book slightly different, although I do prefer it when most of the book takes place on the actual journey where the characters have no choice about being together.
Ruth
May 01, 2012 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read. Very light, great fun. The travelling matchmaker strikes again, and rescues an innocent footman from hanging. Lots of stagecoach spills to add to the adventure. It's strange how her journey home always seems to be incident free!
Kim
Aug 20, 2011 Kim rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
Hannah Pym enjoys travelling by stagecoach after receiving an inheritance. She likes to try and matchmake the other travellers. This is like Agatha Raisin without the murders! It's still not my favourite series- but a quick easy read.
Yvonne Thompson
I love Marion Chesney! This story was delightful, and I can't wait to read the next chapter in the life of Hannah Pym.
Emily
Nov 02, 2013 Emily rated it liked it
Shelves: cosy-crime
As a light and fluffy read this had all it needed. I prefer Chesney's Agatha Raisin novels, but this is of the same vein in terms of cosy crime genre. Easy to read and inoffensive in every way.
Kathryn
May 16, 2011 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read all of the Traveling Matchmaker books in a week or so. They are short and fun. Very light reading but very enjoyable!
  • My Dear Duchess (Regency Royal, #6) (Dukes & Desires, #5)
  • The Marquis Takes a Bride (Cotillion Regency Romance, #2) (Regency Royal, #2)
  • Tilly (Regency Love, #9)
  • A Debt to Delia
  • Lady Ann's Excellent Adventure (A Regency Short Story)
  • The Irresistible Earl
  • The Scandals of an Innocent (The Brides of Fortune, #2)
  • The Skeleton in the Closet
  • Where the Heart Leads (Casebook of Barnaby Adair, #1)
  • Captain of Her Heart (Brides of Waterloo, #1)
Marion Chesney Gibbons
aka: Ann Fairfax, Jennie Tremaine, Helen Crampton, Charlotte Ward, M.C. Beaton, Sarah Chester.

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John Smith & Sons Ltd. While bookselling, by chance, she got an offer from the Scottish Daily Mail to review variety shows and quickly
More about Marion Chesney...

The Traveling Matchmaker (6 books)
  • Emily Goes to Exeter (The Traveling Matchmaker, #1)
  • Belinda Goes to Bath (The Traveling Matchmaker, #2)
  • Beatrice Goes to Brighton (The Traveling Matchmaker, #4)
  • Deborah Goes to Dover (The Traveling Matchmaker, #5)
  • Yvonne Goes to York (The Traveling Matchmaker, #6)