Start by marking “Penelope Goes to Portsmouth (Travelling Matchmaker, #3)” as Want to Read:
Penelope Goes to Portsmouth (Travelling Matchmaker, #3)

Penelope Goes to Portsmouth (The Traveling Matchmaker #3)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  443 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Kind-hearted Miss Hannah Pym on the stagecoach to Portsmouth realizes beautiful, rich, but practical Miss Penelope Wilkins needs someone to enliven her sheltered life, like handsome and carefree Lord Augustus Railton. Miss Pym uses her matchmaker skills to bridge the gap between their personality differences.
Published by Robinson Publishing (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Penelope Goes to Portsmouth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Penelope Goes to Portsmouth

Tasneem
M.C. Beaton is a brilliant writer. Whether it is her Agatha Raisin books or her Hamish Macbeths, or even her Edwardian Murder Mysteries, she is fabulous. And that's not talking about her lovely, lovely romances. I adored this book. I love Miss Pym and she is in fine fettle here. Penelope and Lord Augustus are so different and thus, made for each other. I loved Penelope's practicality, the way she kept shooting him down for his aristocratic ways. Lord Augustus meanwhile was just trying to do what ...more
Mo
I remember reading a slew of Marion Chesney novels when my children were very young. They were just the right kind of light, mindless entertainment that I needed at the time. I had to read things that were very put-downable … books that would not consume me. My free time to read was very limited.

Basically, all of the books in any given Marion Chesney series were the same book. She had a formula, and stuck to it. She changed names, places and circumstances, but the basic plots remained identical.
Lynne Tull
This is one of the few books/series I would read again. These stories of Marion Chesney started me on my adventure...reading Regency Romance/Novels/History! There is not a set of books that will teach you more about the basics about life in Regency England. There are six series with six books each. I love them all. It must be a "past life" thing:)
Pinky
Still enjoyed, but not crazy that Miss Pym is in peril, now. In this third book in the Traveling Matchmaker series, Miss Pym meets a new ragtag bunch on the stage, including a broke Lord, a wealthy American, a naive beauty and a deaf/dumb servant/gambler/? who becomes Miss Pym's footman and who puts the whole group, in particular Miss Pym in jeopardy.
An Odd1
"an indolent, thoughtless, innocent sort of man that will be continually in scrapes, and that will not get forward with all his extraordinary talents, unlesss somebody take him up and push him on" - Creevey Papers ch 1 p 1
"These poor Might-Have-Beens,
These fatuous, ineffectual Yesterdays!" - W.E. Henley ch 8 p 140
Impossibly perfectly pertinent quotes precede every chapter. Romantic leads may be models outside, but everyone can surprise.

1803 London Flying Machine to coastal Portsmouth. Miss Hann
Qnpoohbear
Miss Hannah Pym is off on another adventure on a "flying machine," this time to Portsmouth, where her traveling companions include a prim spinster, an American, a beautiful young merchant's daughter named Penelope and Lord Augustus, a dissipated young rake. Hannah dreams of making a match between Penelope and Lord Augustus as well as rescuing a footman in trouble. She embroils herself and her companions in a series of adventures that none of them will ever forget - especially Hannah's enemy. I d ...more
This, the third book in the Travelling Matchmaker series, was a delight from start to finish. Such a delight, in fact, that I don't know quite what I will do with myself until I track down the final three books - it is aggravating indeed to think that Hannah Pym will be out there, having adventures, making matches, and falling more and more in love with Sir George Clarence, and I will have absolutely no idea of what is going on! Grrrr! Charity bookstores here I come! If 'Rollicking Regency' is y ...more
Danielle
Written in period style, this was a very pleasant read. I enjoyed the characters and whimsical chatter at the start but felt as the book progressed it became rather too cliche. Though this is a predictably happy book, a twist could've added sophistication and made the book less wishy washy.
Stephen Lawton
This series just gets better and better. This was such a heartwarming and heartfelt tale as Hannah Pym's receives a marriage proposal, acquires a manservant and her feelings for Sir George become clearer. Such a delight!
Karen (Kew)
This is the third book in the Travelling Matchmaker series (the first two books in order are Emily Goes to Exeter (Travelling Matchmaker) and Belinda Goes to Bath (Travelling Matchmaker)) This one is not quite as light and frothy as the first two. As usual Hannah is on the look out for suitable couples to match but things don't go so smoothly this time and now she has made some enemies. She begins to question the future happiness of the people she has matched. There is a lot of humour in the boo ...more
Leslie
The Traveling Matchmaker series continues with another adventure and some threats to Hannah.
Tailsmo
A whole series of unlikely plot lines combine to form an enjoyable story.
Edel
This is the adventures of Miss Hannah Pym and Miss Penelope WIlkins while on their way to Portsmouth.On the journey they find themselves in every manner of mischief and meet plenty of colourful characters .The blurb on the back of the book was a bit boring so I was not sure I would like it but I was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed this more then I thought I would and I will be reading the rest in "The Travelling Matchmaker series".
Antoinette the Book Junkie
Quickie Read - Penelope is clueless in many things and many ways yet Hannah finds something good in her to match her to Lord Augustus. Hannah earns herself an array of enemies while on this particular journey and gains a very good friend. Sir George and Hannah continues to make a connection.

Chesney is over set with matching teens with men in their 30s+.
Wilde Sky
A woman, who has recently left service after receiving and inheritance, embarks on a horse drawn coach journey and becomes entangled in a near hanging, kidnap, attempted murder and, of course, romance.

This book is full of gentle humour. It is an easy read and provided a couple of hours of entertainment.
Emma
This is another amusing read from the Travelling Matchmaker series. Marion Chesney changes the formula enough each time to make every book slightly different, although I do prefer it when most of the book takes place on the actual journey where the characters have no choice about being together.
Ruth
Great read. Very light, great fun. The travelling matchmaker strikes again, and rescues an innocent footman from hanging. Lots of stagecoach spills to add to the adventure. It's strange how her journey home always seems to be incident free!
Kim
Aug 20, 2011 Kim rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Hannah Pym enjoys travelling by stagecoach after receiving an inheritance. She likes to try and matchmake the other travellers. This is like Agatha Raisin without the murders! It's still not my favourite series- but a quick easy read.
Yvonne Thompson
I love Marion Chesney! This story was delightful, and I can't wait to read the next chapter in the life of Hannah Pym.
Emily
As a light and fluffy read this had all it needed. I prefer Chesney's Agatha Raisin novels, but this is of the same vein in terms of cosy crime genre. Easy to read and inoffensive in every way.
Kathryn
I read all of the Traveling Matchmaker books in a week or so. They are short and fun. Very light reading but very enjoyable!
Lynne - The Book Squirrel
Another quick and easy read - very funny in places. Looking for the rest of the series now!
Vicky
This series is light, fluffy, and very entertaining. I look forward to the rest of it.
Mary
trivial, fru-fru nonsense but still quite entertaining.
Sabrina Hildebrand
The best Travelling Matchmaker so far.
Michelle
Traveling Matchmaker #3
Jerelyn
I love this series, so fun.
Yorky Caz
Fab!! Loved it!!
  • Miss Lockharte's Letters
  • The Stanforth Secrets (Lovers and Ladies, #1)
  • An Unacceptable Offer
  • The Irresistible Earl
  • A Garden Folly (Country House Party, #1)
  • The Skeleton in the Closet
  • One Wicked Sin (The Scandalous Women of the Ton, #2)
  • Fair Juno
  • Lady Oscar:  La Rose De Versailles, Tome 1
  • Ex Machina: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 2
Marion Chesney Gibbons
aka: Ann Fairfax, Jennie Tremaine, Helen Crampton, Charlotte Ward, M.C. Beaton, Sarah Chester.

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John Smith & Sons Ltd. While bookselling, by chance, she got an offer from the Scottish Daily Mail to review variety shows and quickly
More about Marion Chesney...
Snobbery With Violence Hasty Death Sick of Shadows (An Edwardian Murder Mystery #3) Lady Fortescue Steps Out (Poor Relations #1) Our Lady of Pain (Edwardian Murder Mystery #4)