Start by marking “Puss in Boots” as Want to Read:
Puss in Boots

Puss in Boots

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  14 reviews
By outwitting an evil giant and gaining a fortune for a poor young man, the resourceful Puss in Boots proves himself the Master Cat of them all. "It is pure Perrault, pure Galdone, and children will love it." -- School Library Journal, starred review
Published September 19th 1983 by Turtleback Books (first published January 1st 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Puss in Boots, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Puss in Boots

Cruth
Original Tale: Charles Perrault
Author/Illustrator: Adapted by Paul Galdone
First Published: 1976

The classic picture book from 1976, reprinted in 2004, telling the Puss in Boots Origin Story (rather on point for today's marketplace). Morally, the story is questionable -- lying, poaching, killing to get riches and women -- however it is typical of a fairy tale. Well told with ageless illustrations, PIB is a keeper.

Age:
Read aloud - 3+
Read yourself - 7+

References:
Paul Galdone website: http://paulgald
N.
Just reread our old copy of Puss in Boots, today, and loved it. We're going through children's books to see what we can bear to part with. Puss is a keeper. I'd actually like to read some other versions; I have a feeling I have at least one more, around here. Our copy is old and fairly tattered. The children obviously have loved it up, over the years. A nice, comfy classic.
Kate Mcevoy
Puss in Botts by Paul Galdone is an action filled story with great, descriptions. The story is well told and easy to follow. It has a lot of repetition throughout to keep young listeners engaged. It provides readers with great detail, to capture the interests of older readers. The imagery however is not as impressive as other effective books aimed to engage all readers. This book could be used effectively in KS1, as I feel it is for young listeners and readers. The imagery on the cover of the bo ...more
Jessie Mcelhoe
In Galdone’s version of Puss in boots and old miller splits his belongings between his three sons; the oldest receives the mill, the middle son receives a donkey, and the youngest receives a cat that is able to understand and talk to humans. The cat decides to help the youngest son gain wealth and love and ask the boy to buy a pair of fine boots that the cat can run in. The author does not indicate where permission came from to write this story, but does provide an address that you can write to. ...more
Melle
A black-and-white cat with green eyes, Puss, uses his cleverness to kill small animals and to deceive the king and a giant; Puss ends up being his master's, the miller's youngest son, best inheritance. Clever story and cute illustrations, though a boring cache of nondescript white people.
Dolly
Aug 15, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2012, childrens, pets
This is a fun tale about a wise and resourceful cat who helps his new master, the miller's son, become rich beyond his wildest dreams. The story is entertaining and the cat is amazingly clever. The illustrations are humorous, too.

We've already read one other version of this tale, by Steve Light. In that tale, Puss is a female, but otherwise the stories are very similar. The illustrations are very different in these two books and we liked them both. We enjoyed reading this classic children's boo
Shanna Gonzalez
Paul Galdone's rendition of the classic fairy tale Puss in Boots sticks closely to Perrault's original, with innocently cheerful artistic representation of the story's action-filled scenes. The story is well told, with enough repetition to hold the attention of younger listeners while providing enough detail to interest older readers. While Galdone's artistic interpretation is not as impressive as some editions of Puss in Boots, this book provides a good choice for introducing the story to reade ...more
Jenny
I think I remember reading and liking this book as a child, but as I read it to my 2 year old today, I was bothered by the fact that he got everything--the title, the princess, the riches--off of a lie! I don't think kids would get that unless you pointed it out, but I just thought that was dumb. So a fairly cute book and story just turned a little sour for me because I like when good lessons can be taught from books.
Shawn Thrasher
Puss in Boots is a great story, and Galdone is really a master at distilling folklore down into rich, engaging yet still simple tales to tell. If you disregard the fact that the miller's sons all have hair cuts that look like they are lesser Monkees, the illustrations are excellent. For some reason, Galdone's pictures always remind me of the the Smurfs, minus the Smurf's themselves!
Amber Lynch
Puss In Boots helps the young marquis gain wealth and the hand of the princess.

This book could be used for grand discussion of story elements. It could also be compared to other traditional fairy tales and students could come up with how they are same or different in regards to story elements.
The youngest son of a miller receives a cat as inheritance, and the cat is able to bring him wealth and fame by lying to the king. (Traditional fantasy)
Shunta
Fairytale about a cat who tries to bring his master wealth. He solves the problem and lives happily ever after.
Bonnie Pohlig
What a clever cat! Good plot and cute, colorful pictures. Puss has a lot of character.
Lauren
Liked how it read, pictures alright
Susanna
Susanna marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Jillan
Jillan is currently reading it
Oct 26, 2014
Siddharth Mehta
Siddharth Mehta marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Fatima
Fatima marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Leila
Leila added it
Jul 10, 2014
Ronit Menon
Ronit Menon marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Kim R
Kim R added it
Mar 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
puss in boots 1 2 Sep 09, 2008 10:45PM
Paul Galdone (1907 - November 7, 1986) was a children's literature author and illustrator. He was born in Budapest and he emigrated to the United States in 1921. He studied art at the Art Student's League and New York School for Industrial Design. He served for the US Army during world War II.

He illustrated nearly all of Eve Titus' books including, Basil of Baker Street series which was translated
More about Paul Galdone...
The Three Billy Goats Gruff The Little Red Hen Big Book Three Little Kittens Henny Penny The Gingerbread Boy