Start by marking “Moon Over Soho (Peter Grant #2)” as Want to Read:
Moon Over Soho (Peter Grant #2)

Moon Over Soho (Peter Grant / Rivers of London #2)

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  25,136 Ratings  ·  1,900 Reviews
BODY AND SOUL

The song. That’s what London constable and sorcerer’s apprentice Peter Grant first notices when he examines the corpse of Cyrus Wilkins, part-time jazz drummer and full-time accountant, who dropped dead of a heart attack while playing a gig at Soho’s 606 Club. The notes of the old jazz standard are rising from the body—a sure sign that something about the man’
Published March 1st 2011 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 2011)

Nataliya
Dear Peter Grant, you are about to knock Harry Dresden off his pedestal. And that's not an easy thing to say for me, a devout Dresdenite. But this book was just that much fun.

Should I call myself a Grantite now? How about a hug then? Oh wait...
"For a terrifying moment I thought he was going to hug me, but fortunately we both remembered we were English just in time. Still, it was a close call."
How can a true nerd like me NOT love this book and its protagonist? Peter Grant, a wisecracking apprenti
Carol.
My review of Moon of Soho.

Holdbrook-Smith continues to shine as a narrator. His vocal talent brings both Peter and the many people he interacts with to live in a way one doesn't quite get while reading. First time he voices Leslie using her iPad text-to-speech function was brilliant. However, when he voiced Leslie speaking on the phone, I found it partly unintelligible but still good. When Leslie later spoke in person with Peter, voicing was back to brilliant. I have to say, I loved his voicing
Carol.
May 09, 2011 Carol. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: urban fantasy lovers, detective fans
Moon Over Soho is an enjoyable, satisfying sophomore entry into the Peter Grant series about a London constable who is now working in magical law enforcement.

Peter calls on Leslie after the brutal ending of the first book. As he leaves, he's called to the morgue where Dr. Walid wants Peter to note the definite vestigia about a dead man. Peter gets a clear sound of jazz sax, the kind of clue that only comes with strong magic. The team is still trying to protect Nightingale, recovering from a gun
Adina
Yes, now we're talking!

I could not give 4* to the first book in the series although I wanted to. I became an instant fan of the writing, the world, the humor and felt in total sink with the author' s love for London, which can be observed in every page. My problem was with the plot which was all over the place. I am happy to say that this is no longer the case (most of the time) in Moon over Soho and the novel gets from me the praise it deserves.

Peter Grant is a great character and I cannot wai
Will M.
Dec 26, 2014 Will M. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jazz music and vampires combined results into a new problem for constable Peter Grant.

I liked this way better than the first novel in the series. The characters were more developed here and it didn't tackle on introducing them anymore. I liked how the author gave us a deeper story about Peter's life and family. The plot as a whole was a bit okay. It wasn't phenomenal but I was entertained throughout the novel. The major plot twist in the end was shocking for me, because I was reading it at 6 am.
Megan Baxter
Apr 17, 2013 Megan Baxter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got pushed into reading this slightly earlier than I had intended - but my mother is here for a visit, and she started to read the first book, and as she neared the end, there started to be threats about what might happen if I didn't hurry up and finish this one. (Threats of booknapping!)

In the meantime, you can read the entire review at Smorgas
Lata
Jan 27, 2017 Lata rated it really liked it
Shelves: poc-actor, 2017-read
PC Peter "distracted" Grant is back on his second case, or cases, as multiple odd things are happening. Peter spends much of his time in this book totally under the sway of a woman who was the lover of a murder victim. That Peter totally ignores his training and, um, fraternizes shall we say, with this woman should indicate that something's up. And it is.
What I enjoyed on this reread:
a) Peter investigates the odd occurrences and provides his wry, humorous commentary on a variety of things, incl
James
Dec 29, 2016 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy, picked
Almost literally, unless it grew legs and bolted when I wasn’t looking, Moon Over Soho hit the ground running from where Rivers of London left us. Not only does Ben Aaronovitch make it as smoothly readable as its predecessor (to the point where I was often having to cover up the next page with hands and/or arms), but this one truly feels like part of a larger story, doubtless to continue on and reward our patience handsomely in the following books, as opposed to a smaller, self-contained one th ...more
Eilonwy

4-1/2 stars, rounded down because I'm not sure all the mysteries in this one quite got cleared up satisfactorily. But it was still a great read.

Another amazing whirlwind with Peter Grant. The mysteries were gripping, Peter's further discoveries about the magical world were fascinating, and I just love spending time in his head and in the atmosphere of these books.

Definitely recommended, and I can hardly wait to get on to Book Three.
Philip
Oct 30, 2016 Philip rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.25ish stars.

I'm so pleased I continued with the series. Usually unless the first in a series is at least a 4-star book, I don't bother. Midnight Riot (Rivers of London) was a not-quite-4-star-read for me, although I could recognize its potential.

The audiobook narrator, Kobna Holdbrook-Smith was one of the biggest factors in my decision to continue. I honestly just love listening to him read. If I could choose anyone to read bedtime stories to me each night, he'd be top five, easy.

The plottin
Catie
3 1/2 stars

Whenever I contemplate continuing a series that I love, there’s always that little bit of anxiety in the back of my mind: will this one live up to the rest? Will I have to abandon yet another series? Well, if any of you out there are worried about this one, be at ease. This installment is lovely and I have no doubt that fans of the first book will enjoy this one just as much.

At the end of Midnight Riot (aka, Rivers of London), Peter had just learned of a rather ferocious new murder. I
Lois Bujold
Dec 26, 2012 Lois Bujold rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sequel to Rivers of London aka (in the US) Midnight Riot, which I read and reviewed here last week, and which I would link if I could figure out how. Start with that one, not this one, but you may as well pick up all three while you're at it. It will save steps. (#3, now in my library queue, is titled Whispers Underground.)

No sophomore slump here, I'm happy to report. Upon longer consideration, what the prior book and this one also remind me of is the movie Men in Black -- the good first one, no
Orient
Aug 10, 2016 Orient rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody

Beware this review is infected with spoilers!
I was eager to put my hands on this book to feel the magic of “Moon over Soho”. And it didn't disappoint. Though it had less jokes but had more feelings and passion. Peter Grant developed more as a wizard apprentice. It’s his time to shine more. With two new cases it’s a really ridiculous and fun mess. For example, why do we need simple vampires when there are (view spoiler)! It may sound absurd, but Mr. Aaronovitch makes
Phrynne
Jul 31, 2015 Phrynne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I remember I was not totally convinced by the first book in this series and thought I would probably not move on to the sequel. Well I did move on and I find these books are growing on me. I am starting to find Peter and Nightingale interesting and this book, after it got over imparting huge amounts of jazz knowledge that I really did not need, became very interesting indeed. Peter is developing some quite effective magical skills and by the end of the book seems to have gained another possib ...more
Rob
Executive Summary: Another enjoyable entry in this series. Good but not great. Short and fun. 3.5 Stars.

Audio book: Kobna Holdbrook-Smith is once again a perfect fit for this book. Not only does his normal voice seem to spot on for Peter Grant, but he does a great job with the other characters as well. He totally makes audio the only way to go for this series IMHO.

Full Review
The biggest praise I can offer this book, is the fact that I plan to continue on with the series. Pretty much every othe
Michael
In this second in the series, young London constable Peter Grant is slowly advancing in his apprenticeship to the aging wizard Nightingale, who consults on all the cases crimes that may involve magic. He is called in when a murder of a jazzman in Soho is too bizarre to be committed by a normal criminal:. (view spoiler). Further investigation reveals that more jazzman have died mysteriously over the years. Is thi ...more
Clouds

Following the resounding success of my Locus Quest, I faced a dilemma: which reading list to follow it up with? Variety is the spice of life, so I’ve decided to diversify and pursue six different lists simultaneously. This book falls into my FINISHING THE SERIES! list.

I loves me a good series! But I'm terrible for starting a new series before finishing my last - so this reading list is all about trying to close out those series I've got on the go.

Normally I’m pretty good at reviewing a book, if
Mogsy (MMOGC)
I don't know what it is about the Peter Grant series, but this is only the second installment and already I am completed addicted. I've not been a fan of urban fantasy for very long, but over the years I have come to appreciate the particular brand of "fun and fluffiness" that's so characteristic of books like this. They're reliable entertainment -- I know even before I crack the cover that I'll have a good time, and I'm hardly ever disappointed.

As it happens, Moon Over Soho was even better tha
Brendon Schrodinger
Peter Grant, the wizard apprentice PC, is back in a second mystery this time centred around the deaths of jazz musicians. We get a lot of musical references here, a bit of jazz history and most importantly more great fun in the wonderfully set up universe. Peter Grants magical education is coming along, however his relationships with women are not. But that is to be expected. You get to know more about his parents and also the Folly and Nightingale. So the magical universe is fleshed out a bit m ...more
Tracey
Jan 09, 2012 Tracey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, london, 5-star
I love Ben Aaronovitch. Love. I haven't been this excited about a series in quite a while. Harry Dresden, yes, and Mercy Thompson, but I think the only comparison is the sheer happiness each new Harry Potter brought. To which there is a certain irony.

I have kept a List of "my authors" since I started realizing I needed a way to keep track of what I had and hadn't read by writers I liked, a pre-internet attempt to make sure that I didn't miss anything. Probably two-thirds of the writers on The Li
Andrea
I very much enjoy the world of this series - the story is leading us through the trials of a police force in an increasingly magical London very well. However, I spent much of this volume frustrated and annoyed with the main character.

Peter is an amusing fellow with a scientific turn of mind, always trying to unpick and understand how magic works. But he spends much of this book completely failing to _think_. (view spoiler)
Leonie
Aug 29, 2016 Leonie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again I was drawn rapidly into the world of PC Peter Grant in this second book of The Rivers of London series. This series is fast becoming one of my favourites. In fact, I can already feel a re-read coming along.

I've found that the quirky first person writing style really adds to my involvement in the story. You can feel and hear Peter Grant's mind ticking away in the background as he puzzles his way through the latest crop of magical crimes.

I'm really enjoying the way that each new book
Mike (the Paladin)
I read the first in this series some time ago and these have languished on my "to be read" list ever since. Mr. Aaronovitch writes a good story. I like this one and have moved directly on to the next.

There will be some at least minor spoilers for the first book in this review. I am going forward on the assumption that if you're reading the review of the second book you have read the first. if not be aware that you may find out things about the first novel in the series.

Our hero here, Police Cons
Andrew
Oct 24, 2014 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
And so ends my Christmas reading binge (okay I am hoping for one more but not confident I will put it off).

Anyway where was I? Oh yes the second of the Peter Grant Series and I must say I am enjoying it more and more as I go along (just as well there are plenty more for me to still read). The wry humour and entertaining characters just add to a fascinating story. I will admit that the idea of London full of mythical and magical people is not new (just read Neverwhere for example) however the way
Wanda
I do like Peter Grant! I find him a charming narrator, as he attempts to balance being a copper and being an apprentice wizard. Both roles are complex and the combination can be overwhelming at times.

I do love his insistence on quantifying and measuring his abilities, his attempts to understand magic using the scientific method, and his various ways of trying to protect his mobile phone from being fried by magic. I was also amused by his use of online translation tools to try to deal with Latin
Carolyn
Mar 08, 2015 Carolyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, mystery
I found this second instalment in the Peter Grant series a bit slower to get into, but once it got going it was pretty good.
Someone is killing Jazz musicians in a bizarre way and Peter is called in to see if magic is at play. Peter's own training as a wizard under the tutelage of Nightingale is progressing slowly but as Nightingale himself is still recovering from his brush with death in the last episode, Peter is often left to his own devices. We get to meet Peter's parents and in particular h
Mimi
Aug 07, 2013 Mimi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With “moon” in the title and a setting like London, I was expecting there to be a werewolf tale or at the very least a shapeshifter subplot, but this a story about Soho and jazz… and murder and magic and supernatural forces and things beyond our existential control, but mostly Soho and jazz. So of course, my favorite kind of urban fantasy. You won’t even miss the lack of werewolves at all.

Once in a very rare while, an author’s writing style syncs up with all the qualities which I look for in a g
Lightreads
Not as good as Rivers of London -- the plot is sloppy, he accidentally replaced the romance with a cliche, etc. – but I liked it anyway for reasons that had nothing to do with the London copper urban fantasy bits.

This book made so much sense to me. It’s all quiet and subliminal, the way it would be, but this first person narration is just so dead on for what it’s like to be the token minority. The unspoken sense that everyone else is always going to have an opinion bout you or a reaction to you,
Iain
Jan 10, 2013 Iain rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second instalment of this series, and it certainly feels very second-instalment-ish. The use of both an A- and B-plot is one example, A being 'jazz vampires' and B being emerging evidence of an evil magician. The former is wrapped up with space to spare, the latter builds to an inconclusive confrontation, setting up an ongoing plotline for future books.

Then there's the expansion of the background, with more information about Nightingale's past, how magic works, and where things might be going.
Andy
Apr 01, 2015 Andy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve given you a flavour of why YOU should pick up this series as I’ve progressed with my update statuses & hopefully turned a few heads.

If you’re a fan of the Dresden files or even the X-Files with a London theme then this is for you.

Need I say more?
  • The Midnight Mayor (Matthew Swift, #2)
  • Taken (Alex Verus, #3)
  • Thicker Than Water (Felix Castor, #4)
  • The Severed Streets (Shadow Police, #2)
  • Circle of Enemies (Twenty Palaces, #3)
  • The Digital Wolf (The Hidden Academy, #2)
  • Sixty-One Nails (Courts of the Feyre, #1)
  • The Fuller Memorandum (Laundry Files, #3)
  • Devil Said Bang (Sandman Slim, #4)
  • Dead Mann Running (Hessius Mann, #2)
  • The Mister Trophy (Markhat, #1)
Ben Aaronovitch's career started with a bang writing for Doctor Who, subsided in the middle and then, as is traditional, a third act resurgence with the bestselling Rivers of London series.

Born and raised in London he says that he'll leave his home when they prise his city out of his cold dead fingers.
More about Ben Aaronovitch...

Peter Grant / Rivers of London (6 books)
  • Rivers of London (Peter Grant, #1)
  • Whispers Under Ground (Peter Grant #3)
  • Broken Homes (Peter Grant, #4)
  • Foxglove Summer (Peter Grant, #5)
  • The Hanging Tree (Peter Grant, #6)

“For a terrifying moment I thought he was going to hug me, but fortunately we both remembered we were English just in time. Still, it was a close call.” 202 likes
“The clever people at CERN are smashing particles together in the hope that Doctor Who will turn up and tell them to stop” 93 likes