Start by marking “Moon Over Soho (Peter Grant #2)” as Want to Read:
Moon Over Soho (Peter Grant #2)

Moon Over Soho (Peter Grant #2)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  14,942 ratings  ·  1,225 reviews
London constable and apprentice Peter Grant suspects sorcery when Soho area musicians drop dead, their brain scans showing magical draining. Victim Cyrus left girlfriend Simone, who beds Peter. His dad "Lord Grant" taught him jazz, but master mage DCI Nightingale still recuperates, and a Pale Lady bites off essential bits for an animal chimera slave ring.
Published March 1st 2011 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Moon Over Soho, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moon Over Soho

Nataliya
Dear Peter Grant, you are about to knock Harry Dresden off his pedestal. And that's not an easy thing to say for me, a devout Dresdenite. But this book was just that much fun.

Should I call myself a Grantite now? How about a hug then? Oh wait...
"For a terrifying moment I thought he was going to hug me, but fortunately we both remembered we were English just in time. Still, it was a close call."
How can a true nerd like me NOT love this book and its protagonist? Peter Grant, a wisecracking apprenti
Will M.
Jazz music and vampires combined results into a new problem for constable Peter Grant.

I liked this way better than the first novel in the series. The characters were more developed here and it didn't tackle on introducing them anymore. I liked how the author gave us a deeper story about Peter's life and family. The plot as a whole was a bit okay. It wasn't phenomenal but I was entertained throughout the novel. The major plot twist in the end was shocking for me, because I was reading it at 6 am.
Catie
3 1/2 stars

Whenever I contemplate continuing a series that I love, there’s always that little bit of anxiety in the back of my mind: will this one live up to the rest? Will I have to abandon yet another series? Well, if any of you out there are worried about this one, be at ease. This installment is lovely and I have no doubt that fans of the first book will enjoy this one just as much.

At the end of Midnight Riot (aka, Rivers of London), Peter had just learned of a rather ferocious new murder. I
Rob
Executive Summary: Another enjoyable entry in this series. Good but not great. Short and fun. 3.5 Stars.

Audio book: Kobna Holdbrook-Smith is once again a perfect fit for this book. Not only does his normal voice seem to spot on for Peter Grant, but he does a great job with the other characters as well. He totally makes audio the only way to go for this series IMHO.

Full Review
The biggest praise I can offer this book, is the fact that I plan to continue on with the series. Pretty much every othe
Michael
In this second in the series, young London constable Peter Grant is slowly advancing in his apprenticeship to the aging wizard Nightingale, who consults on all the cases crimes that may involve magic. He is called in when a murder of a jazzman in Soho is too bizarre to be committed by a normal criminal:. (view spoiler). Further investigation reveals that more jazzman have died mysteriously over the years. Is thi ...more
Brendon Schrodinger
Peter Grant, the wizard apprentice PC, is back in a second mystery this time centred around the deaths of jazz musicians. We get a lot of musical references here, a bit of jazz history and most importantly more great fun in the wonderfully set up universe. Peter Grants magical education is coming along, however his relationships with women are not. But that is to be expected. You get to know more about his parents and also the Folly and Nightingale. So the magical universe is fleshed out a bit m ...more
Clouds

Following the resounding success of my Locus Quest, I faced a dilemma: which reading list to follow it up with? Variety is the spice of life, so I’ve decided to diversify and pursue six different lists simultaneously. This book falls into my FINISHING THE SERIES! list.

I loves me a good series! But I'm terrible for starting a new series before finishing my last - so this reading list is all about trying to close out those series I've got on the go.

Normally I’m pretty good at reviewing a book, if
Carol.
Jun 20, 2011 Carol. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: urban fantasy lovers, detective fans
Very good, a delicious, satisfying read. It moved fast, but not so much that the pace was unsustainable or unlikely.

I felt like Peter was exceptionally naive in dealing with Simone; shouldn't he wonder why he had this intense lust/fascination? Shouldn't he be more bothered that her last lover died abruptly two weeks ago and she doesn't seem to have any grief? I feel like most police wouldn't make the mistake of interacting on a very personal level so quickly. I found the shagging interludes kin
Lois Bujold
Sequel to Rivers of London aka (in the US) Midnight Riot, which I read and reviewed here last week, and which I would link if I could figure out how. Start with that one, not this one, but you may as well pick up all three while you're at it. It will save steps. (#3, now in my library queue, is titled Whispers Underground.)

No sophomore slump here, I'm happy to report. Upon longer consideration, what the prior book and this one also remind me of is the movie Men in Black -- the good first one, no
Andrea
I very much enjoy the world of this series - the story is leading us through the trials of a police force in an increasingly magical London very well. However, I spent much of this volume frustrated and annoyed with the main character.

Peter is an amusing fellow with a scientific turn of mind, always trying to unpick and understand how magic works. But he spends much of this book completely failing to _think_. (view spoiler)
Tracey
I love Ben Aaronovitch. Love. I haven't been this excited about a series in quite a while. Harry Dresden, yes, and Mercy Thompson, but I think the only comparison is the sheer happiness each new Harry Potter brought. To which there is a certain irony.

I have kept a List of "my authors" since I started realizing I needed a way to keep track of what I had and hadn't read by writers I liked, a pre-internet attempt to make sure that I didn't miss anything. Probably two-thirds of the writers on The Li
Mike (the Paladin)
I read the first in this series some time ago and these have languished on my "to be read" list ever since. Mr. Aaronovitch writes a good story. I like this one and have moved directly on to the next.

There will be some at least minor spoilers for the first book in this review. I am going forward on the assumption that if you're reading the review of the second book you have read the first. if not be aware that you may find out things about the first novel in the series.

Our hero here, Police Cons
Lightreads
Not as good as Rivers of London -- the plot is sloppy, he accidentally replaced the romance with a cliche, etc. – but I liked it anyway for reasons that had nothing to do with the London copper urban fantasy bits.

This book made so much sense to me. It’s all quiet and subliminal, the way it would be, but this first person narration is just so dead on for what it’s like to be the token minority. The unspoken sense that everyone else is always going to have an opinion bout you or a reaction to you,
Carolyn
I found this second instalment in the Peter Grant series a bit slower to get into, but once it got going it was pretty good.
Someone is killing Jazz musicians in a bizarre way and Peter is called in to see if magic is at play. Peter's own training as a wizard under the tutelage of Nightingale is progressing slowly but as Nightingale himself is still recovering from his brush with death in the last episode, Peter is often left to his own devices. We get to meet Peter's parents and in particular h
rameau
There’s a longer plot in these books. What happened in the end of the first, is picked right up again in the beginning of the second and the characters… well, they stay true to themselves and the changes they’ve had to gone through. Some lessons take longer to learn than the others.

Like in Rivers of London there’s two plot threads advancing simultaneously in this book. There’s the long plot about Peter growing as a magical apprentice and then there’s the short plot and an incidental murder that
Iain
Second instalment of this series, and it certainly feels very second-instalment-ish. The use of both an A- and B-plot is one example, A being 'jazz vampires' and B being emerging evidence of an evil magician. The former is wrapped up with space to spare, the latter builds to an inconclusive confrontation, setting up an ongoing plotline for future books.

Then there's the expansion of the background, with more information about Nightingale's past, how magic works, and where things might be going.
Andy
I’ve given you a flavour of why YOU should pick up this series as I’ve progressed with my update statuses & hopefully turned a few heads.

If you’re a fan of the Dresden files or even the X-Files with a London theme then this is for you.

Need I say more?
Sue
Mar 17, 2012 Sue rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who like paranormal stories and mysteries
I enjoyed this sequel to Midnight Riot but didn't find it held together quite as well. Bad magic is on the rise in London and, of course Peter Grant and his mentor, Nightingale, are on the trail. Both are recovering from the effects of the action of the last novel and most of the police characters have been brought forward which makes for a comfortable carry over. The central issue is the death of jazz musicians accompanied by signs of magical residue.

Since I love historical fiction, I enjoy bot
Mogsy (MMOGC)
I don't know what it is about the Peter Grant series, but this is only the second installment and already I am completed addicted. I've not been a fan of urban fantasy for very long, but over the years I have come to appreciate the particular brand of "fun and fluffiness" that's so characteristic of books like this. They're reliable entertainment -- I know even before I crack the cover that I'll have a good time, and I'm hardly ever disappointed.

As it happens, Moon Over Soho was even better tha
James
The sequel to Aaronovitch's Rivers of London, Moon Over Soho is a solid second episode in the series. Aaronovitch doesn't fall into any of the normal traps of the second novel-in-a-series and simply jumps into his story keeping the unnecessary exposition to a minimum and not making the necessary exposition feel all stompy and "here we go again, why don't these people just read the first book already".

We pick up the story, apparently, pretty much immediately from the previous novel as we start wi
Mimi
With "moon" in the title and a setting like London, I was expecting there to be a werewolf tale or at the very least a shapeshifter subplot, but this a story about Soho and jazz... and murder and magic and supernatural forces and things beyond our existential control, but mostly Soho and jazz. So of course, my favorite kind of urban fantasy. You won't even miss the lack of werewolves at all.

A better review can be found at Wordpress and Booklikes.
Penny
I didn't think this was quite as good as the first in the series, but I adore Peter Grant and it was still a fantastically fun read. There were a few plot points that I managed to guess correctly which always disappoints me in a mystery - I prefer being completely wrong about whodunit. Still, there were a few twists which I enjoyed, more back story on Nightingale, and some new and potentially interesting characters. Can't wait to see what they all get up to in the next book! :)
Paul Cheney
Slight incompetent PC and struggling apprentice wizard Peter Grant has been asked to investigate the brutal murder of a journalist in a toilet in the Groucho Club. And there are more deaths too, jazz musicians are collapsing and dying after gigs, supposedly of natural causes, the Peter detects the thaumaturgical signature of magic, meaning that these are not as natural as first thought.

The detective in charge really does't want Peter on the case, but reluctantly accepts that he needs to be, Pete
Mieneke
Hurray, finally! I've been itching to get my hands on Moon Over Soho ever since finishing Rivers of London in January. So when we went on The Great London Book Spree of 2011, it was almost the first book that I picked up off the shelves. Only then I got waylaid, Wiebe started reading it before I could finish my then current read and I had to wait until he had finished it. Which was both frustrating and great. Frustrating because I wanted to read the book now - thank you very much - but great bec ...more
Tim "The Enchanter"
Urban Fantasy that can't be beat. 5 Stars

It's official. I have a man crush on Peter Grant. I can't help myself :)

For me, this series stands at the top of UF. Maybe because he is British and as a Canadian I still feel beholden to Her Majesty. Whatever it is, I prefer the British crime wizard. In part, he is willing to work with other people unlike a certain wizard from Chicago (I'm talking about Harry Dresden for those of you who are not catching my drift) who prefers to be the good old America
Reni
I think I do like this one better than the first.

I liked the crime-story better this time around. The villain was a bit more down to earth, with more relatable motives than being a spirit -- or rather a personification -- of riot and revenge.

The characters are as addictive as ever (even secondary characters like DS Stephanopolous, who I cheer for every time she's mentioned *g*), and we continue to learn about them, which, as someone who reads more for characters than for plot, pleased me greatl
Pauline Ross
This is the second in a series of urban fantasy/police procedurals set in London. They are rather whimsical, in a very British way, so if you’re allergic to self-effacing heroes, dry, understated humour and a severe lack of gun-battles, you should probably avoid this. I liked the first in the series, ‘Rivers of London’ (bizarrely called ‘Midnight Riot’ in the US), with a few reservations, but this one worked even better, I thought. It’s always a problem writing the first of what could be a lengt ...more
Kevin Svendsen
I enjoyed this book, much as I did the previous book in this series Midnight Riot. The things that I liked about that book are still in force. The detecting is good, and it's a nice to have a detective that works with the police, instead of around them. I like the response of most of the regular officers to the introduction of paranormal elements to cases (i.e. 'deal with this, but keep me in the loop'). Another nice element is the carry through of the people and their states from MR, it's the b ...more
F.R.
Plots are definitely over-rated in detective stories. Okay, I know most writers believe that every detective story has to be planned intricately, with red herrings precisely left and clues dropped in invisibly whilst the reader is – so to speak – distracted elsewhere. But then Raymond Chandler – who, let’s be fair, sits bespectacled and sour faced atop the pantheon of great detective writers – believed that plot was subservient to scene and character, and who are we really to doubt his word? Ben ...more
Emma Flanagan
I read the first in this series Rivers of London over Christmas and loved it. It was an enjoyable, well written, and easy read perfect for Christmas. Out sick from work this week and unable to face my current rather heavy tome, I picked this up. Like its predecessor it was exactly what I needed, an enjoyable, well written book that wasn't going to tax my reduced powers of concentration.

If the first book was introducing the characters, then this one was setting up what I suspect will become the m
Goodreads Librari...: Language mis-match on editions 3 162 Aug 01, 2012 05:46PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please could someone combine these two? 3 36 Jun 12, 2012 12:04PM
  • The Neon Court (Matthew Swift, #3)
  • Taken (Alex Verus, #3)
  • Vicious Circle (Felix Castor, #2)
  • London Falling (Shadow Police, #1)
  • Circle of Enemies (Twenty Palaces, #3)
  • The Fuller Memorandum (Laundry Files, #3)
  • Unquiet Dreams (Connor Grey, #2)
  • Midnight Blue-Light Special (InCryptid, #2)
  • Zoo City
  • The Road to Bedlam (Courts of the Feyre, #2)
Ben Aaronovitch's career started with a bang writing for Doctor Who, subsided in the middle and then, as is traditional, a third act resurgence with the bestselling Rivers of London series.

Born and raised in London he says that he'll leave his home when they prise his city out of his cold dead fingers.
More about Ben Aaronovitch...

Peter Grant (6 books)
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
  • Whispers Under Ground (Peter Grant, #3)
  • Broken Homes (Peter Grant, #4)
  • Foxglove Summer (Peter Grant, #5)
  • The Hanging Tree (Peter Grant, #6)
Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1) Whispers Under Ground (Peter Grant, #3) Broken Homes (Peter Grant, #4) Foxglove Summer (Peter Grant, #5) Rivers of London: Body Work

“For a terrifying moment I thought he was going to hug me, but fortunately we both remembered we were English just in time. Still, it was a close call.” 136 likes
“The clever people at CERN are smashing particles together in the hope that Doctor Who will turn up and tell them to stop” 61 likes