Start by marking “The Bluebird and the Sparrow (Women of the West, #10)” as Want to Read:
The Bluebird and the Sparrow (Women of the West, #10)

The Bluebird and the Sparrow (Women of the West #10)

3.79  ·  Rating Details ·  2,603 Ratings  ·  101 Reviews
Overshadowed by the vivacious and outgoing Glenna, dependable and serious Berta must come to terms with her relationship with her sister and her feelings of being plain and ordinary.
Published April 1st 1995 by Bethany House (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Bluebird and the Sparrow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bluebird and the Sparrow

bird
Aug 13, 2012 bird rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book when I was twelve and it is still one of my favorites today. (Perhaps because I am more like Berta then I would ever admit.) Anyhow, the point of this review is- It is a very good book. It isn't a cheesy book, it isn't a sappy happily ever after book. This book is real life. I enjoy it everytime I pick it up. It is a story of redemption, forgiveness, the mending of broken hearts, and grace.
Heidi
Oct 05, 2011 Heidi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I almost wanted to give this book a 2.5.
It's not that I didn't like the book. I did. And Janette Oke is one of my all-time favorite authors. And it's not that I didn't resonate with the characters. I did. And I'm probably more like Berta that I care to admit. Maybe that's one of the reasons it was hard to read. It was just such a downer for most of it. It took so long for her to really wake up & move on. And - while that is true-to-life for most of us, it was just hard to get through that w
Faith
Such a great story about two vastly different sisters and their tumultuous relationship through childhood, the teen years, and on into their adult lives. Written in usual, charming Janette Oke style, I enjoyed this book although it wasn't my favorite of her works. :)
Donna
Sep 15, 2013 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"We really are who we decide to be. That is how God made us. With a free choice. If we were totally the victims of circumstances-God would be dreadfully unfair. But we can choose. Two people-given the same set of circumstances-can choose-one for good, the other to his own destruction. It all comes back to one thing. Our choices. Our attitude." These words of wisdom to Berta from her pastor allow her to see that whether you are a bluebird or a sparrow, you can still be a beautiful creature. What ...more
Krystan Hann
Jun 11, 2015 Krystan Hann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ginny Reed
Feb 24, 2017 Ginny Reed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the characters in this book. I could feel Berta's frustrations and jealousy towards her beautiful younger sister. Favoritism in a family can destroy a person. Berta's struggle to overcome these feelings and finally understand her past so she could enjoy her future made for a good story!
Veronica
Jan 28, 2017 Veronica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some parts were a little hard to get through, but this book had a GREAT message; one that many people, especially girls, should hear.
Bethany
Jan 02, 2017 Bethany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was technically a reread for me - this is my favorite Janette Oke book and it had been a few years since I read it.
Cricket
Dec 30, 2016 Cricket rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful

Story of 2 sisters, similarities and differences. How each perceived her life in relation to each other, to parents and even God. They were surely The Bluebird and The Sparrow as you will discover. This was a good book and a delightful read. Enjoy!!!
Sofia Marie
Typical Berta: "There was such a contrast between her life and Glenna’s. Glenna had it all. Looks and… yes, her prettiness had made life easy for her. […] Suddenly Berta rose and tossed the letter on the small table beside her chair. Life was so desperately – uneven. It made her angry."

Berta always knew her younger sister Glenna got the most attention. Glenna was the pretty and happy one. No one could help liking her from the start. Berta, she was just plain. Plain and unnoticed. Already as a ki
Heather
Jul 20, 2011 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tashawna

The Bluebird and the Sparrow was a good book, all in all. It had a good lesson on self worth and such. But the main character Berta's struggles made for a kind of depressing book. She felt her mother always loved her beautiful sister Glenna the most. And she seem to grow kind of bitter, and into believing that because Glenna was born beautiful, her life was easy and she got whatever she wanted. Berta is kind of harsh and not very loving. She makes for herself a life that is pointless an
Brandi
2.5 stars.
This book was pretty good. But I can't call it great, or really good. There were a few things that really dampened the book for me.
First of all, Berta. I didn't connect with her well at all. She was too self-absorbed and uncaring. The entire time she was feeling sorry for herself and being a grouch. I couldn't feel sorry for her because I could very clearly see that the trap was of her own making. She simply annoyed me.
Second, the over-all book wasn't very happy. Most of the events bro
Marius S
Sep 21, 2015 Marius S rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book's description here on Goodreads really isn't what its all about. Reading the description on here before I read the book, I would've just passed it on as another love story. It is a love story, but not how you might think. It is a beautiful story written to show you that no matter what you think, or what others tell you, God thinks you are someone special, someone worth loving, someone worth dying for.

Excerpt from "The Bluebird and the Sparrow." Page 242-243

"Making us feel inferior-unwo
Beth
Nov 10, 2007 Beth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was really drawn in to the author’s writing style in this book and enjoyed the setting, also — it’s a historical romance, which I tend to like. The characters were likeable enough. The story, though … it was a little tough to swallow.

A girl grows up envious of the attention given to her beautiful younger sister — and it takes her until she’s into her thirties before she realizes that her parents didn’t mean any harm by praising her sister’s goodness and didn’t love her any less (something I co
Emily Good
This book was a fantastic read by Janette Oke and is easily one of my favourite books by her. I loved how we were following through the life of a very clearly imperfect person and seeing how one little sinful attitute could end up dominating a person's life and the decisions they make. It made for a deep and thought-provoking read, and certianly went away from the sterotypical prairie books which tend to have a fairly "good" and "godly" person as the heroine, and made this book feel more true to ...more
Nadine Keels
Oct 05, 2010 Nadine Keels rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoughts on the entire series.

Overall, Women of the West is my favorite series (that I’ve read so far) by Oke, where I really reveled in what the author had to bring in all of her sweet, warm, and simplistic glory. However, the books aren’t only warm fuzzies, as Oke does deal with some tough, and even some potentially controversial, issues, giving the reader some points to chew on but doing it in her warm style.

I’ve read most of the books in the series more than once (maybe even three times, wit
Rachael
Dec 19, 2013 Rachael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book aloud with my eleven year old daughter. This is such a great coming of age story, and hS such great truths in it. My daughter could already relate to the oldest daughter and her problems with her attitude. Thus book gave us the chance to discuss what Berta should have done verses what Berta did. I am so glad I decided to read this one with her. It gave us a great opportunity to discuss circumstances in our lives and how she should handle them. As a read aloud book, my daughter e ...more
N. Brown
"Set in the early 1900s on the Canadian prairie, the story centers on Berta, the older, plain, dependable sister of cheerful, beautiful, affectionate Glenna. From childhood on, Berta feels ignored as pretty Glenna receives most of the attention from family, friends, and especially young men. She develops a protective shell so as not to compete with her sister's limelight. Circumstances and the stress of not revealing her true feelings finally cause the young woman to seek the advice of her minis ...more
Beverly
Apr 03, 2015 Beverly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bluebirds and Sparrows

The title of this book so reflects the true uniqueness of this pinned work by Janette Oke. It has helped me look at my own attitude on how I perceive myself and compare it to God's word on how He looks at me. I found that I am failing in that category. I too need to relook back to the past in which there were episodes of domestic violence ,a alcoholic father and a mother full of hurt. I guess we all could go back and see if we sized ourselves up as a Bluebird with all it be
Hannah
Oct 17, 2015 Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved The Bluebird and the Sparrow so much! I could relate to Glenna a lot throughout the whole book. I also enjoyed how Janette Oke didn't make Berta her sister "snobbish" even though she was pretty, which happens in a lot of books. Some parts in this book will make you want to cry and the ending is perfect. ( : The only negative thing was by the end I was getting a little frustrated with Glenna for not being nice for so long...but other than that I really enjoyed this book and would definite ...more
Xavier
I didn't think I would enjoy this book so much. I loved how it described Berta's emotionally cold and distant demeanor from the time of her infancy to her arrival as an adult. Hilariously enough, it uses the stereotypical trope of morose librarian to further describe Berta's character. However, like many reviewers have commented, the ending was too rushed. I wouldn't mind reading a lengthy book since the book itself was a quick read.
Yareli Lara
Sep 12, 2012 Yareli Lara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Bluebird and The Sparrow" was a story about two sisters who were different. Berta felt she was never pretty or special she just thought she was ordinary. The story was captivating but at times I felt the religion was a bit overwhelming. The main character, Berta, could also be annoying because she was so stubborn and arrogant. But overall it was a good novel and I would recommend this to anyone who is interested in a story about someone being content with themselves.
Firefly_1824
This book took me a really long time to read. I read the first half a long time ago, and then finished it maybe last year. I know Janette Oke is a popular author, but this story is more just about the one sister than about a christian message or even the plot. And frankly, it just isn't that memorable.
I haven't read any of her other books, so I can't compare it. But I if you want to try one of her books, I wouldn't pick this one.
Karen
Sep 07, 2008 Karen rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who doubts their worth
Recommended to Karen by: Found it at a garage sale - like the author
This is a beautiful story for the insight it gives us into the love of our Heavenly Father. It shows the struggle we cause ourselves when we put self first. I thought the book was a little slow at first. It didn't grab my attention until about the middle of the book, but the lesson that it teaches is priceless and timeless! A great character building book. It made me laugh and cry.
L.
This is a book I've grown up with and reread periodically. It is pretty YA, but I still love it and it has always been close to my heart because I grew up struggling with jealousy issues and can really relate to Berta and her feelings. It always make me cry and is just one of those childhood favourites that I read like comfort food when I'm feeling stressed out. It is super religious, though.
Megan
Spoiler Alert...(dont read this review if you are going to read this book.)

Well in this book this girl named Berta had a baby sister and her name was Glenna. Glenna was a very pretty young girl. All of the guys in town favored her. After a little while Berta got really jealous because Glenna got all of the attention. So they started going to school.
Michelle
Author makes the novel between the relationships of the two very different sisters magnify out! In this book she shows you two different attitudes and lives of the sisters. Later on in life the sisters seem to connect more even though both of their lives are very different. Great read and wonderfully put words of wisdom from God's Word!
Jessica
This was a decent book about self acceptance. I found it hard to sympathize with Berta, the main character, because I found her jealous, whiny, and just annoying. But the book was about her realizing that her attitude is what caused her unhappiness, so I guess it is acceptable in this circumstance. I have enjoyed other books by Oke much more than this one.
Robin
I read this one awhile back and its about two sisters and how they see each other in relation to how others see them. If I remember right in the end the one who seemed to be somewhat of an ugly duckling learns she's admired by the one who was always a swan and vice versa. Nothing beats having a sibling and its a relationship that can only be understood by someone who is one.
  • Janette Oke: A Heart for the Prairie
  • Whatever Tomorrow Brings (The Californians, #1)
  • More Than a Dream (Return to Red River, #3)
  • On the Trail of the Truth (The Journals of Corrie Belle Hollister, #3)
  • October Song
  • Rivers of Gold (Yukon Quest, #3)
Janette Oke writes with a profound simplicity of what she knows best—real life, honest love, and lasting values. With over 23 million in sales, her historical novels portray the lives of early North American settlers from many walks of life and geographical settings. She also writes engaging children's stories and inspiring gift books that warm the heart.

Janette was born during the depression year
More about Janette Oke...

Women of the West (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Calling of Emily Evans (Women of the West, #1)
  • Julia's Last Hope (Women of the West, #2)
  • Roses for Mama (Women of the West #3)
  • A Woman Named Damaris (Women of the West, #4)
  • They Called Her Mrs. Doc
  • The Measure of a Heart (Women of the West Series, #6)
  • A Bride for Donnigan
  • Heart of the Wilderness
  • Too Long a Stranger
  • A Gown of Spanish Lace (The Janette Oke Collection) (Women of the West)