Start by marking “The Bluebird and the Sparrow (Women of the West, #10)” as Want to Read:
The Bluebird and the Sparrow (Women of the West, #10)

The Bluebird and the Sparrow (Women of the West #10)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  2,079 ratings  ·  72 reviews
The heartwarming story of sisters whose relationship is threatened when both are attracted to the same man. A Woman of the West Book.
Published April 1st 1995 by Bethany House (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Bluebird and the Sparrow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bluebird and the Sparrow

Heidi
I almost wanted to give this book a 2.5.
It's not that I didn't like the book. I did. And Janette Oke is one of my all-time favorite authors. And it's not that I didn't resonate with the characters. I did. And I'm probably more like Berta that I care to admit. Maybe that's one of the reasons it was hard to read. It was just such a downer for most of it. It took so long for her to really wake up & move on. And - while that is true-to-life for most of us, it was just hard to get through that w
Bobbie
I first read this book when I was twelve and it is still one of my favorites today. (Perhaps because I am more like Berta then I would ever admit.) Anyhow, the point of this review is- It is a very good book. It isn't a cheesy book, it isn't a sappy happily ever after book. This book is real life. I enjoy it everytime I pick it up. It is a story of redemption, forgiveness, the mending of broken hearts, and grace.
Donna
"We really are who we decide to be. That is how God made us. With a free choice. If we were totally the victims of circumstances-God would be dreadfully unfair. But we can choose. Two people-given the same set of circumstances-can choose-one for good, the other to his own destruction. It all comes back to one thing. Our choices. Our attitude." These words of wisdom to Berta from her pastor allow her to see that whether you are a bluebird or a sparrow, you can still be a beautiful creature. What ...more
Emily Good
This book was a fantastic read by Janette Oke and is easily one of my favourite books by her. I loved how we were following through the life of a very clearly imperfect person and seeing how one little sinful attitute could end up dominating a person's life and the decisions they make. It made for a deep and thought-provoking read, and certianly went away from the sterotypical prairie books which tend to have a fairly "good" and "godly" person as the heroine, and made this book feel more true to ...more
Heather
Beth
I was really drawn in to the author’s writing style in this book and enjoyed the setting, also — it’s a historical romance, which I tend to like. The characters were likeable enough. The story, though … it was a little tough to swallow.

A girl grows up envious of the attention given to her beautiful younger sister — and it takes her until she’s into her thirties before she realizes that her parents didn’t mean any harm by praising her sister’s goodness and didn’t love her any less (something I co
Xavier
I didn't think I would enjoy this book so much. I loved how it described Berta's emotionally cold and distant demeanor from the time of her infancy to her arrival as an adult. Hilariously enough, it uses the stereotypical trope of morose librarian to further describe Berta's character. However, like many reviewers have commented, the ending was too rushed. I wouldn't mind reading a lengthy book since the book itself was a quick read.
Elaine
Read so long ago that I don't remember a lot of detail but I remember liking it very much. It reminded me a lot of myself and my younger sister -- she was the pretty, smart, popular one. Perhaps I will re-read it and see what I think about it now. One thing about Janette Oke books that I appreciate is that I know I won't have to worry about bad language or sexually explicit situations.
Nadine Keels
Thoughts on the entire series.

Overall, Women of the West is my favorite series (that I’ve read so far) by Oke, where I really reveled in what the author had to bring in all of her sweet, warm, and simplistic glory. However, the books aren’t only warm fuzzies, as Oke does deal with some tough, and even some potentially controversial, issues, giving the reader some points to chew on but doing it in her warm style.

I’ve read most of the books in the series more than once (maybe even three times, wit
N. Brown
"Set in the early 1900s on the Canadian prairie, the story centers on Berta, the older, plain, dependable sister of cheerful, beautiful, affectionate Glenna. From childhood on, Berta feels ignored as pretty Glenna receives most of the attention from family, friends, and especially young men. She develops a protective shell so as not to compete with her sister's limelight. Circumstances and the stress of not revealing her true feelings finally cause the young woman to seek the advice of her minis ...more
Laura Moss
Oct 29, 2014 Laura Moss marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: janette-oke
Women of the West #10
Hg
Jul 06, 2014 Hg marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I want to read it
Elaine
A wonderful look into attitude and choices.
Yareli Lara
"The Bluebird and The Sparrow" was a story about two sisters who were different. Berta felt she was never pretty or special she just thought she was ordinary. The story was captivating but at times I felt the religion was a bit overwhelming. The main character, Berta, could also be annoying because she was so stubborn and arrogant. But overall it was a good novel and I would recommend this to anyone who is interested in a story about someone being content with themselves.
L.
This is a book I've grown up with and reread periodically. It is pretty YA, but I still love it and it has always been close to my heart because I grew up struggling with jealousy issues and can really relate to Berta and her feelings. It always make me cry and is just one of those childhood favourites that I read like comfort food when I'm feeling stressed out. It is super religious, though.
Karen
Sep 27, 2008 Karen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who doubts their worth
Recommended to Karen by: Found it at a garage sale - like the author
This is a beautiful story for the insight it gives us into the love of our Heavenly Father. It shows the struggle we cause ourselves when we put self first. I thought the book was a little slow at first. It didn't grab my attention until about the middle of the book, but the lesson that it teaches is priceless and timeless! A great character building book. It made me laugh and cry.
Robin (RBBR)
I read this one awhile back and its about two sisters and how they see each other in relation to how others see them. If I remember right in the end the one who seemed to be somewhat of an ugly duckling learns she's admired by the one who was always a swan and vice versa. Nothing beats having a sibling and its a relationship that can only be understood by someone who is one.
Jessica
This was a decent book about self acceptance. I found it hard to sympathize with Berta, the main character, because I found her jealous, whiny, and just annoying. But the book was about her realizing that her attitude is what caused her unhappiness, so I guess it is acceptable in this circumstance. I have enjoyed other books by Oke much more than this one.
Megan
Spoiler Alert...(dont read this review if you are going to read this book.)

Well in this book this girl named Berta had a baby sister and her name was Glenna. Glenna was a very pretty young girl. All of the guys in town favored her. After a little while Berta got really jealous because Glenna got all of the attention. So they started going to school.
Michelle
Author makes the novel between the relationships of the two very different sisters magnify out! In this book she shows you two different attitudes and lives of the sisters. Later on in life the sisters seem to connect more even though both of their lives are very different. Great read and wonderfully put words of wisdom from God's Word!
Melissa
I decided to try a new Christian author, but I really didn't like it much. The main character decides at age 3-5 to basically be antisocial/selfish. I suppose the author wanted to show her transformation when she realizes what she needs in life. Its just not fun to read a book when you don't really like the main character.
Hiba
This one's a special one. I got it from one of my best friends on my birthday. Reminds me of her all the time. I've read it like a dozen times - or more - and as a result this is one of the few books in my collection that shows significant wear and tear. I really love it.
Monica
A "cute" tale of sibling rivalry, bitterness and love as handled by religion.

Good enough story. It was a bit juvenile in it's writing but overall ok. The "sermon" portion of the book was touching but nothing that a good pastor hasn't connected before.

A quick read.
Shawn
I just did not care for this book. I could not make myself like any of the characters in the book. One was too whinny and self-absorbed, the other was too sweet and sappy and then the mother was too aloof with both of them. Just couldn't get into it.
Meadow
When Berta's little sister comes into the world. Berta is terrible jelous. Her sister, Glena, is bubbly, beautiful, has beautiful curls and loves lacy dresses. Berta is simple and plain. And wonders if any one could ever love her like they do Glena.
Georgie Penn
I thought that this was not one of Janette Okes best books. I think that the main character took way to long to sort out her problems, and finally face the truth of her situation.

I must admit I did not like Parker, but I really liked Thomas.

Marissa
This is an awesome book and has a really good ending!!!
Berta really made me mad sometimes though.
But it all came out good.
Love anything by Janette Oke, she has a way of writing book that makes them
hard to put down. :-)
Naomi
One of my first Janette Oke books which turned me onto her writing, I loved this book. It was so sweet. It was Christian lit without beating Christianity over your head. Def. a book I could read more than once.
Cheryl
This one was ok, it was interesting if not incredibly stimulating. I didn't really find the main character's jealousy and bitterness to be completely believable. I think the story could have been better written.
Sol
This book was along the same vein as most of Janette Oke's books, but the storyline was better! I was able to identify with Berta's story. I liked Oke's take on Thomas, and his pursuit of Berta. Overall, good.
  • Janette Oke: A Heart for the Prairie
  • To Know Her by Name (Rocky Mountain Memories #3)
  • Sanctuary
  • Opal (Dakotah Treasures, #3)
  • The Damascus Way (Acts of Faith, #3)
  • A Fragile Design (Bells of Lowell, #2)
Janette Oke writes with a profound simplicity of what she knows best—real life, honest love, and lasting values. With over 23 million in sales, her historical novels portray the lives of early North American settlers from many walks of life and geographical settings. She also writes engaging children's stories and inspiring gift books that warm the heart.

Janette was born during the depression year
More about Janette Oke...
Love Comes Softly (Love Comes Softly, #1) When Calls the Heart (Canadian West #1) Love's Enduring Promise (Love Comes Softly #2) Love's Long Journey (Love Comes Softly #3) Love's Abiding Joy