Start by marking “The Only Gold” as Want to Read:
The Only Gold

The Only Gold

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  637 ratings  ·  124 reviews
Jonah Woolner's life is as prudently regulated as the bank where he works. It's a satisfying life until he's passed over for promotion in favor of newcomer Reid Hylliard. Brash and enterprising, Reid beguiles everyone except Jonah, who's convinced Reid's progressive ideas will be the bank's ruin. When Jonah begins to discover there's more to Reid than meets the eye, he ris ...more
Published March 21st 2011 by Dreamspinner Press (first published March 20th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Only Gold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Only Gold

Vio
A wonderful slow paced beautiful love story with mystery and depth. Seriously this was just gorgeous, I loved it so much and the writing is fabulous completely captivating. Jonah and Reid were perfect as workmates and eventual lovers, the chemistry and banter between them was tense but also romantic. Reid's little digs at Jonah to shake him up (stuffed shirt type of guy) was amusing and delightful. One awesome historical romance and a must read.
Vanessa North
Never has a book which started so slowly won me over so completely.

We're introduced to Jonah, our main character, on the day he is passed over for promotion at the bank where he works. Jonah has spent nearly fourteen years utterly devoted to his employer. The bank's well being comes first. He works long hours, is well loved and trusted by the staff, and has done everything possible to earn that promotion. But instead, it went to the interloper, Reid.

Jonah is devastated. Here is where Ms. Allen'
Natasha
2.5 star rating.

I'm in the minority, but I was bored of my tree quite frequently during this book.

I think Jonah's love for his job/love for the bank went crazy overboard, to the point where I think he might need to seek some help to get over his obsession. I get the time period, but he literally goes over and above all for the sake of the bank (not the people mind you, the actual institution--the clients--the finances).

While the writing is obviously excellent, and you can tell this author has a
Susan

M/M Bingo
Round 8 - Week 3
"Best Gay Historical Romance"

********************

For all intents and purposes, this should have been a SLAM DUNK. New York, historical, geeky bankers, and Tamara Allen (who I love). Well, maybe it was more like a bank shot off the glass that spins and spins around the hoop and finally…as the crowd holds their breath…falls in.

I had a really hard time…struggled even…with the first half of the book. It was SLOW – which can work for me as long as there’s some kind
Kaje Harper
This book begins slowly, but gradually carries the reader along with it as the pace picks up to an action-filled climax. It opens with the introduction of Jonah, a bank officer who has devoted himself to his job, at least partly because he is unwilling to let his personal desires have any place in his controlled and circumscribed life. He is faced with Reid, the man who comes in to take the promotion Jonah was expecting, and who proceeds to rearrange both Jonah's professional and his personal li ...more
Leanne
6 stars.
OMG!Utterly beautiful writing. Swoonworthy romance. Perfect.
I am in love with this book and everything in it.... Jonah and Reid, New York in winter in 1888 (and the awesome blizzard that I've since found out actually happened - cool pictures here ),quirky boarding house occupants...even the bits about early banking were actually interesting! Awesomely drawn world, real and wonderful characters (so wonderful I was an hour late for work on Friday 'cause I just couldn't.let.go.) plus there
ttg
WOW. This book was fantastic, which surprised me because I thought it was really slow at first, but by 20% I was invested in this story of Jonah, an assistant cashier at a New York City bank in 1888 who finds out that he lost the expected promotion to cashier to some out-of-towner who promises scary things like "change" and "innovation," two things that buttoned-up Jonah so fiercely thinks he AND the bank don't need.

Rivalry between late 19th century bankers sounds super boring to me, but boy, wa
Kassa
In the world of too many books and too little time, the phrase “auto-buy” is tossed around with almost cavalier meaning. Although I have very few “auto-buy” authors where I buy everything they do no matter what, Tamara Allen has to be on my list. The Only Gold may not be as beloved as Whistling in the Dark, which if you haven’t read do so now immediately, but it showcases Allen’s meticulous attention to detail, flair for complex yet fascinating characters, and impeccable writing.

Set in 1888 New
Anyta Sunday
I've read a bunch of reviews for this book, and what strikes me as interesting is that many of them thought the beginning was slow but the second half picked up.

I had the complete opposite reaction to reading this book. I LOVED the slow, teasing, tense, frustrating first half. Give me more of that, please! Gah, boy did it work a nice burn.

As the second half commenced, I felt the story lose some of that tension. I was a wee bit disappointed at the lack of descriptive love scenes (especially the
Heather C
I really, really enjoyed this. Tamara Allen's writing is so beautiful and non-explicitly sensual that it still gets me all hot and bothered. Love the slow build romance and quirky characters. And the setting. And the sweetness.

4.5 stars rounded to 4 because I struggled a little with the slow start of the story and I pretty much had the "mystery" figured out.
Deeze
A brilliantly told story, that will keep you interested from page one. Don't be put off if like me you tend to stay away from storys set in the past. This is one you should try if you want a real romance with guys you will fall in love with and a story to keep you guessing.
K.J. Charles
I enjoyed this so much. I do love a slow burn romance. This is *very* slow but it allowed us to really enjoy Jonah's reawakening to life, and I loved the community around him. Charming and with a terrific sense of place.
Hannah
This book was such a wonderful surprise. I first heard about it from Sunita's glowing review at Dear Author. At that time, I decided I wouldn't enjoy it because (a) it's a historical, and I'm not a big fan of historicals, and (b) it's about two bank employees, and what could possibly be more boring than banking? But when I found out recently that this book is available for Amazon Prime members to borrow, I decided to try it. I ended up buying it before I was halfway finished, because I already k ...more
Dumbledore11214
When I was a child I used to imagine that one day I will get to travel in the time travel machine to some of my favorite eras in the past to see for myself how people lived in those days. Of course I know now that this is not possible, but in a sense
this book for me had been a perfect substitute of the time travel machine. It transported me to another era. I felt that I was in the year 1888 in the city that gave me a second home, just as it gave second home to Jonah and Reid. I really loved thi
Elisa Rolle
Tamara Allen always amazes me, but I should not be surprised. In particular this time I enjoyed very much this turn of the nineteen century New York City gay romance since I was still fresh from my reading of the essay Gay Metropolis, and it was really fascinating to read a romanced version of the real life stories I read in that essay.

Even more it was nice since the men in this novel are ordinary guys, living in a city that is not yet metropolis, Manhattan of 1888, but still a city in compariso
Katharina
4.5

This was... pretty amazing, actually. The setting and plot were original, the writing very good, the main characters had depth and were believable and likable - as individuals and as a couple. The story is told from Jonah's point of view as the 3rd person narrator, and his slightly neurotic, very unbudging character is unmistakable. His development throughout the story is well portrayed.
The best part, though, was how utterly flabbergasted the second half of the book made me feel. I didn't see
Nina
Wonderfully atmospheric, realistic and with amazing characters, both the MCs and the supporting ones.

A slow start and a couple of confusing moments made this just a little bit less than perfect.

ps: seriously, where can I find me a Reid? ;)
Cecilia Grant
Charming, affecting, affirming tale of two opposites who drive each other nuts before one, then the other, recognizes the possibility for love.

The characters are wonderful: I particularly loved stiff-necked, buttoned-up Jonah (his overzealous devotion to the bank where he works is funny but also believable and admirable), but gregarious, golden-touch Reid is a delight, too, particularly as Jonah's evident disapproval & borderline passive-aggressive hostility only redouble Reid's determinatio
Estara
Mar 30, 2011 Estara rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of historical romance and m/m romance
Recommended to Estara by: Ann Somerville and my enjoyment of Whistling in the Dar
Shelves: ebook, read-in-2011
Furio
There can be no doubt about Ms Allen's being a gifted author: her shorter "If It Ain't Love" is stuck in my memory with its rich setting and fine writing.

A rich setting and a fine writing are what I have found in here as well.
Miles away are those unprofessional penpushers that clutter the M/M romance subgenre with outrageously expensive, one-size-fits-all booklets worth much less than the time it takes to forget them.
Ms Allen's language is deceivingly simple but it is fluid, precise, concise and
Fangtasia
An escape to late 1800's NY, masterfully set to transport the reader away from today's customs. The characters are very much three-dimensional, which is a welcome surprise, when a romance plot is based on the "opposites attract" trope. Jonah has reasons for being who he is, as does Reid. The secondary characters provide depth and enrich the story, keeping the experience realistic and engaging.

The plot is interesting and original, well-paced until the main conflict takes place, which takes entir
karlakolumna

This has been an absolutely delightful and enchanting read. I'm usually not that much of a fan when it comes to historical fiction. Especially so in the glbt department because it often enough leaves a bitter aftertaste considering that gay love was not at all accepted.

This, however, turned out to be most entertaining. I totally fell in love with these two main characters. Reid, especially, was fun to read about with his charm and smugness and the way he enjoyed poking and poking at Jon
Ashley♥Alexis

Another amazing story by Tamara Allen. I'm usually not a historical kinds girl but her stories just work. I also live off of relationship growth and if the two MC's don't meet within the first 10% I don't even bother but there is just something about Allen's writing that throws all my habits out of the window. the story was interesting and the romance was sweet and tasteful. I loved it!!
John "King of the North"
Tamara Allen can do no wrong in my eyes. This was so good!

Unfortunately, I have read all of her books and I do not see any news of future books from her.

Please Miss Allen, write more. We need it.
Wusswoo
Apr 15, 2012 Wusswoo rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Wusswoo by: vio
I did really enjoy this! It's given me a bit of a craving for some more historical novels!
Nancy Carbajal
Set in the 19th Century, Jonah has given his life's worth and hard work to his bank, only to see his promotion given to an outsider! A charming outsider who makes it difficult for Jonah to trust. Reid is immediately loved by all at the bank.....except for Jonah! But things slowly change as Reid tries extra hard to win Jonah's trust and love, something's that's very difficult to obtain and just might be lost. It's a beautifully written love story that will drag you into these men's lives when lov ...more
Yvonne
Good story about a very rigid, by the books guy, Jonah Woolner who goes to work anticipating after years of doing everything correct for the bank he works for, he's finally going to get his promotion. He walks in to learn that he's been passed over for the position in favor of a charismatic outsider who is Jonah's exact opposite. This sets up lots of conflicts between and a begrudging attraction between the two men.

There are other things that happen in this book which leads to a little bit of ac
GymGuy
I rather enjoyed this book. I felt it was way too long, however. For what actually happens, the book needn't have been more than 200 pages. It is poorly paced. The first 2/3s of the book seems to ramble on and on and then it picks up to a feverish pace towards the end. There was far too much nagging about how to dress in a bank...like, after the first couple of times, who cares whether one should wear a waistcoat or a cut-away or a gold vest or a green-striped tie?? One of the huge issues I have ...more
Julesmarie
Just about every review of this book mentions the slowness of the story, so I went in anticipating that. And I'm not usually put off by slow stories--as long as I feel like the reasons for the slowness are worth it. I'm not sure I do with this one. It seems like one of the reasons for the slowness was that so much attention was given to explaining and describing things over and over again that didn't need to be.

Honestly, the weather was discussed so much and so often throughout the whole book--
Shelby P
I work for a bank so the beginning of the book was interesting. It was cool to imagine what banking was like in the late 19th century. I'm still trying to figure out if the head cashier job is akin to the branch manager role or the lead teller role. I'm gonna go with branch manager.

Jonah was not an endearing character. Yes, I get that he was passed over for a promotion but I didn't like how he was so against everything Reid tried to do. So I started skimming after 25%. I was bored with the day
The bank was systematically at risk!!! 1 20 Jul 23, 2013 02:08AM
  • Bonds of Earth
  • Kindred Hearts
  • Well Traveled (Gideon and Jedediah, #1)
  • Snowball in Hell (Doyle and Spain, #1)
  • Provoked (Enlightenment, #1)
  • Widdershins (Whyborne & Griffin, #1)
  • Brothers of the Wild North Sea
  • The Magpie Lord (A Charm of Magpies, #1)
  • The Nobleman and the Spy
  • According To Hoyle
  • The Desire for Dearborne
  • Allegiance: A Dublin Novella
  • The Auspicious Troubles of Chance (The Auspicious Troubles of Love, #1)
  • Counterpoint: Dylan's Story
  • His Client (His Client, #1)
  • Lessons in Love (Cambridge Fellows, #1)
  • Dash and Dingo: In Search of the Tasmanian Tiger
This author has been published under the pen name James Allen.
More about Tamara Allen...
If It Ain't Love Whistling in the Dark Downtime Blue Skies Another Place In Time