Start by marking “To Miss With Love: One Inspirational Teacher One Extraordinary Year” as Want to Read:
To Miss With Love: One Inspirational Teacher One Extraordinary Year

To Miss With Love: One Inspirational Teacher One Extraordinary Year

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  17 reviews
From the whistle-blowing teacher behind the headlines: one inspirational teacher, one extraordinary year, hope and heartbreak on the front lines of an inner-city school, To Miss With Love by Katharine Birbalsingh is the remarkable and eye opening exposé of our education system. A third of teachers leave within their first term on the job. This one wouldn't quit for all the ...more
Published March 3rd 2011 by Penguin Books Ltd (first published March 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about To Miss With Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Miss With Love

Rose
I agree with a lot of what Birbalsingh says, but one thing creeps me out - the fact that she is single but invents a husband and writes about him in the book as if he was completely real. You wouldn't know he wasn't unless you saw one of the news articles mentioning it. I can understand trying to disguise your marital status while you're trying to remain anonymous (not that she was by the time this was published), but she goes way beyond what's necessary, making up a husband who always calls her ...more
Alex
I found this book preachy, sanctimonious and patronising. Having worked in various roles in the education/youth offending sector since I graduated I simply struggled to actually believe many of the characters - allegedly based on reality. It was also put simply, just quite dull. There was the odd thing I could relate to - particularly the pressure that a looming Ofsted inspection brings to the school, but these glimpses of reality were sadly too few and far between for me. I hated her style of w ...more
Sian Wadey
To Miss With Love by Katherine Birbalsingh

Simply put this is one of the worst books I have ever read! I only got forty or so pages in before I stopped. The author uses descriptive terms to distinguish her students so it's impossible to keep track of them all and the way she writes just makes me so annoyed. With every entry I was getting more frustrated with her. Books are supposed to make you wind down!
Mike Steven
I liked this in the fact that it's authentic and lots of what the author talks about is true. She's a Head of English like myself so there's clearly going to be some things I can identify with and some of her anecdotes are amusing and remind me of similar occurances in my own schools.

I particularly associate with how her school year starts and finishes with the Headteacher warning them that Ofsted could come at any time - it's common in schools for the focus to be on how to 'be ready for Ofsted'
Gwen
I am an English teacher (just your bog standard classroom type) and for that reason alone, found it a fascinating read.

Each school is it's very own unique little institutional universe and we teachers get institutionalised by our place of work. I'm working in my 3rd school in nearly 9 yrs of teaching and each has been totally different, so to read about an inner city school and the problems that that entails was fascinating to me. I've worked in an inner city school in the midlands and recognis
Petra X
This is a not terribly interesting story of a year in the life of a teacher in an inner city school in the UK where the aim is to get the kids to pass with Cs. Not that all the kids are thick, deprived or badly-behaved, just that the black ones (yes, black, this is the UK not America) have a choice - bad behaviour and welcome to the peer group or work hard and accept isolation. The author who is Jamaican, or at least half, by birth or by heritage visits a couple of schools in Jamaica and is shoc ...more
Heather
I enjoyed this eye opening book about life at an inner-city secondary school. I heard it adapted for radio initially and wanted to read the full copy. I wasn't disappointed.
Den
Sep 11, 2014 Den rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
I loved this book which is the life in a year of a teacher in an innet-city school. I got to know the pupils she taught and was an airing with her with anticipation when they opened their idea exam results.
Mara Shaw
Worth a read if you're interested in the current educational crisis in England. This is very much what my daughter is experiencing in the English school system, having just moved here from Canada.

The book is a fictional diary from a real teacher in an inner-city London school. The writing style is breezy, but the conflicts she presents are unfortunately quite real.

As the English tell me, the social system in England is very broken -- and some causes are evident in Ms. Birbalsingh's book. There i
Philippa Brunt
Inspirational and well written.
Mj
It's important to understand that though fictionalised, this isn't a story. It's a polemic against the state of education in England today, disguised as a diary to try and reach an audience that would otherwise not give this subject matter a second glance.

In those terms, it does a pretty good job.
Graham
given by father in law at christmas, read in a day. Sad to know other people have it worse than me; sometimes wonder how folk cope in difficult schools. Hat taken off to 'miss'.
Cham
Authentic, engaging and light-hearted, and yet surfaces the many issues in the British education system, as well as the life of teachers.

Awesome read!
Oliver Kaye
A light hearted and amusing description of what is a serious problem with some of our schools. An experienced insiders view.
Mariam
Generally, I wouldn't read this sort of book, but the characterisation was very good and I enjoyed it.
Anna
Absolutely amazing - inspirational. All teachers should read this book!
Bettie☯
Gemma Constantine
Gemma Constantine is currently reading it
Aug 06, 2015
Flor
Flor is currently reading it
Apr 03, 2015
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015