Start by marking “The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1)

The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials #1)

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  876,594 Ratings  ·  13,071 Reviews
“The most magnificent fantasy series since The Lord of the Rings.” --The Oregonian

Lyra is rushing to the cold, far North, where witch clans and armored bears rule. North, where the Gobblers take the children they steal--including her friend Roger. North, where her fearsome uncle Asriel is trying to build a bridge to a parallel world.
Can one small girl make a difference i
Published November 13th 2001 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published July 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Compass, please sign up.

Paroma Fun fact: This book was actually written as the antithesis to the Chronicles of Narnia, which are very Christian. These books are quite antireligious,…moreFun fact: This book was actually written as the antithesis to the Chronicles of Narnia, which are very Christian. These books are quite antireligious, but you could still enjoy them regardless of your faith. The Golden Compass does not deal as much with religion, but the second and third books really delve into the topic.(less)

Bright
Dec 13, 2007 Bright rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: digested
the golden compass trilogy seems like a natural progression in christian literature. yes, it is christian literature, the same way the chronicles of narnia are. aslan is only a lion when the reader is about 10 or so in the united states. after a point, he unrepentantly becomes jesus. and the four children are like, the gospels or something. and the story is somewhat ruined then, because as an adult, you can't just shoehorn jesus into a lion outfit without snickering a little.

pullman however, has
Bookworm Sean
This novel is an absolute work of pure genius, and is in my top ten reads of all time. Before I go into the depths of character and plot, let me start by saying this book is up there with other fantasy hard hitters: by this I mean books like The Lord of the Rings and The Chronicles of Narnia: the books that define the genre. This is high praise indeed, and this novel is worthy of it.

The protagonist of the book is Lyra, a young girl, who is parentless and seemingly friendless. She has grown up i
Sean Gibson
Nov 25, 2015 Sean Gibson rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sean by: Kristin
I don’t love the Beatles.

*Ducks as he is castigated by the seething masses*

I also don’t love green vegetables, punches to the face, or going to the dentist, though I don’t think those revelatory disclosures will elicit much in the way of rage-fueled attempts to slit my throat with the jagged edge of a broken CD (compact disc, kiddos—look it up).

So, why risk a severed jugular on the day before I’m going to stuff myself so full of turkey that I’ll have a snood coming out of my ear? Well, because
Jessica ❁ Far Dareis Mai ❁ Rabid Reads
Once again, I didn't dislike this book for the usual reasons, and being the kind of person I am:

description

You MUST know I'm a advocate for free thought, for going against the grain, for individuality vs. hive mentality . . .

I believe it's important to teach children to question, to think for themselves.

BUT.

I feel this book crosses a line for its intended audience. There is not a single good adult role model--without exception, they are all selfish, devious, or outright villains.

You can draw a straight lin
notgettingenough
May 21, 2010 notgettingenough rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Later....A friend said to me today that if you read this book properly, it should make you a better person. I'd just earlier in the day been thinking pretty much the same thing. When I asked S. in what way was he made better, he said he couldn't say, just that it had. Exactly. I think you have a sense as you read this book that Lyra's goodness has rubbed off on you, she's made you better in an entirely non-specific way.

M. then said that she didn't think a book, to be special, necessarily had to
Darth J
Nov 09, 2015 Darth J rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series

I never added a review of this but I'm going to now. I'll admit that this one was a bit slow for me at parts (especially compared to the sequels) but what kept me reading was the fascination with the daemons. I liken them to the patronuses (patronii?) from the Harry Potter series in that they are the animal totem of a character, and can change until someone is "set in their ways". How many other people have held conversations about what their daemon or patronus animal is, and then changed it fre
Antonio

De alguna forma este libro empezó como una producción de Disney, en la segunda parte parecía más como de Nick o TNT y ya en la tercera parte ¡Wow! Esto se transformo en HBO.

No sé si este libro debe calificarse como infantil, si bien es cierto que la protagonista Lyra nos va dando una perspectiva bastante inocente de su mundo, los temas que se tratan en el libro no lo son tanto, el centro de la historia es, al parecer, el misterio que existe del porque están robándose a los niños de todas partes
Wendy Darling
Hello friends! We're reading THE GOLDEN COMPASS together throughout the next few weeks as part of our goal to read more classic YA/MG books this year.

Please join us if you can!

-- Discussion on blog: February 28th
-- Hashtag #tmgreadalong if you'd like to discuss as you read on Twitter.

More details on the blog: http://www.themidnightgarden.net/2014...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My review:

Wildly imaginative and thrilling, this complex and be
j
I really liked this book! I think it is easily among the best of the crop of Potter-era YA lit (even though it actually came out first!).

The movie was just ok. I thought the lead kid did a good job playing Lyra, and Nicole Kidman made a very menacing Ann Coulter. But my very favorites were Daniel Craig as the zealot Lord Asriel and Eva Green as badass witch Serafina Pekkala.

Serafina Pekkala is one of my favorite witches in literature: she's grounded in her connection to the earth, she's beautif
Julia
Sep 26, 2007 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middlegrade, 2007, aal, knopf
I really like that the Iorek Byronison, the bear, is always referred to by full name. When I'm Bear King, I definitely want to be on a full-name-all-the-time basis. Then I will battle challengers to mortal combat, tearing through armor, swiping off heads with my massive paws, slicing open chests and devouring hearts. And as I gorge myself on bear blood, I will cry out "Bears! Who is your King?" And my name will roar from a thousand bear throats.
it's going to be awesome.
(My name has got that sam
mark monday
May 09, 2015 mark monday rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
fantastic. pullman introduces readers to his sophisticated world view slowly, and this first novel in the trilogy has an ideal narrative focal point in the mean little liar who is the protagonist. i have never seen lying in children portrayed so explicitly as a positive thing, and after this novel, i'm all for it! the settings are wonderfully strange and surreal yet rooted in an eventually understandable reality, and the supporting characters are oblique and enigmatic without being tiresome. the ...more
Peter
The Golden Compass, by Philip Pullman, picks up where the Harry Potter series leaves off. As in Rowling's series, the hero of The Golden Compass--Lyra, a pre-teen girl in Oxford, England--is plucked from her mundane existence to become supremely important to the fate of the living world.

However, unlike the Potter series, The Golden Compass, immerses us immediately in political, religious, and cultural conflict as well. While the central character is indeed a child, which lands this title in the
Oceana2602
Oct 22, 2009 Oceana2602 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
This book was recommended to me somewhere in fandom as a children's book that is also interesting to adults. I admit that I wasn't particularly impressed with it, and I can't see it as something that I would give my kids to read. My main complaint is the "means to an end" style the author uses. A bit like in a computer game, our main character Lyra runs from one wise man to another in her quest to find some missing children. This is practical, because except for one scene in the beginning, she d ...more
Darren
Dec 03, 2013 Darren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Though billed as a children's book, I dug it, and I'm a 38 year old dude; good for fans of fantasy
The story in brief: The book is a fantasy novel set in a strangely familiar pseudo-Victorian/steampunk parallel Earth. The protagonist is a young ophaned girl who's been raised at Oxford by the attending scholars. The story concerns kidnapped children, hidden mysteries of the Church, wandering gypsies, proud Arctic warrior bears, long-lived flying witches, and the possibility of a rift that could exist between different worlds.

Daemons: Each human being in this world has a constant animal compani
Xime García
Jan 09, 2016 Xime García rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Xime by: Antonio
Shelves: reseñados
Reseña de "La Daga" (La Materia Oscura 2)
Reseña de "El Catalejo Lacado" (La Materia Oscura 3)

Me gustó mucho, no me lo esperaba. Había visto la película hace años pero no me acordaba de su argumento, así que el libro trajo muchas sorpresas - originales, raras, pero buenas al fin.

Sin embargo, antes de empezar con la reseña...

*abre el libro en la primera página*
*busca un nombre*

Traducción: Roser Berdagué.

Ah, mirá qué nombrecito. Ok.

Roser Berdagué...

description

Bueno, continuemos con la reseña.

El libro fu
Jonathan

This is a largely ironic novel. I say ironic due to the way in which in aiming to parody another work of fiction, it falls victim to the same problems it accuses the other work of. By parody I mean the claim, verified in some sources by Philip Pullman, that due to the author's dislike of The Chronicles of Narnia, he aimed to write a more atheistically leaning version of those children's books. Which in itself is an acknowledgement that The Chronicles of Narnia are true classics of children's fic
Maxwell
Nov 14, 2015 Maxwell rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-it, 2015
I never read this book as a child, and I sort of feel like not having that nostalgia behind it while reading it as an adult kept me from fully appreciating it. The story is fantastical and highly enjoyable. Lyra is a precocious, intelligent and wonderful protagonist. I only wish she had used the darn alethiometer more! So many questions could've been answered, so many issues resolved, with that device. And it was a bit preachy, though I can't imagine children fully grasping the theological and e ...more
John
Dec 01, 2009 John rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
His Dark Materials is a three volume adolescent adventure tale occurring in a pseudo-Victorian universe parallel to our own. In this “steam-punk” environment religion and science are alloyed in clever and interesting ways. For example, a mechanical bug is a flying machine with a trapped evil spirit as its energy source, and physics is called experimental theology.

The protagonist of this trilogy is a pre-adolescent named Lyra Belacque. Lyra is a girl with a destiny, a feisty, clever child who li
Seth
Although it's 3 physical books for publishing reasons, His Dark Materials (HDM)is one continuous story (well... see below), so I'm reviewing the whole set. It isn't useful to review one part alone.

HDM is a decent read with many great elements. On Orson Scott Card's "MICE" scale--Milieu, Idea, Character, and Event--it's mostly a Milieu story, so expect a tour of the world(s), focusing on the strangeness therein and the history thereof. It's a great setting with many fabulous ideas underlying the
Rebecca
Dec 27, 2007 Rebecca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fans
This book started off strong, but by the end of the story, I felt that Pullman had sacrificed logic and direction for drama and suspense. He did a good job of gradually making Lyra less of an ignorant brat and more of a noble little savage girl. Overall, I liked this book well enough to want to read the second one in the trilogy, but I had several problems with it:

-There was no comic relief or even any funny moments in this book. It took itself extremely seriously and was rarely light-hearted or
Brad
Mar 29, 2008 Brad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brad by: China Mieville
Shelves: fantasy
After all the talk about Pullman's supposed anti-Catholicism or anti-Christianity or atheism or whatever one wants to label it, I approached The Golden Compass (known originally as Northern Lights) with an open mind and found something other than what I'd been told to expect.

I found elements that questioned Christianity and Catholicism and the nature of God and its works, but I also found elements that questioned parental authority, the ethical and practical roles of Science, and the nature of
Bill
May 17, 2007 Bill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nonbelieving Narnia fans
Shelves: novels
Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy has acquired the reputation of being a sort of Narnia for Atheists. This reputation is, at least by the end of The Golden Compass, largely unearned. Though the religious beliefs depicted in Pullman's fantasy universe throw their real-world parallels into an interesting light, there is nothing that compares to the explicitly Christian message in C.S. Lewis' classic children's books.

His Dark Materials is set in the Edwardian England of a parallel univers
Zanna
Feb 26, 2015 Zanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this in my school library and devoured its crystalline atmosphere, rich language, shadowy, redolent world and refreshing refusal to patronise young readers. It was booktopia to me at thirteen; it was easily my favourite book. Lyra is one of my favourite literary characters; lonely, loyal, fiercely intelligent and independent, she is never the passive vehicle of her magical ability, but always an agent, resisting and fighting injustice as she sees it in her own way.

My two favourite things
Kim
Jun 27, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, ya-fiction

Allowing myself to be turned off fantasy when I was ten years old was a big mistake. If I could take myself back to that point in my life, I'd make sure that I didn't find The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe quite so scary, or else I'd make myself believe that being scared by a book is A Good Thing. Returning to fantasy over forty years later*, via books such as this one - the first book in the His Dark Materials trilogy - has been a revelation. I've realised all over again just how much good
Andrew
Jan 30, 2008 Andrew rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first book in Philip Pullman’s His Dark Materials trilogy, The Golden Compass, is a well crafted story awash with a new sense of morality, adventure and some annoying narrative flaws. While they don’t hamper the experience too heavily, they do detract from an excellent story and a thoughtful approach to the still powerful, if not more openly mocked, position of religion in people’s lives.
First, the up sides. Much like most modern popular fiction, the element of story has received most of th
April
Read until 51% and then skim read the rest. This was SOOOO disappointing. I was looking forward to it so much because the premise sounded incredible and I was excited to hear Pullman's atheism woven into his work, but everything about this book was bland. It was so slow moving and the characters were all so unlikable, I was honestly shocked that I was reading the same book that everyone else loved? Maybe it's because it lacked the nostalgia that a lot of people have with the series because I nev ...more
Yasmin (Book Unicorn)
My 6th grade reading teacher basically told me every day that I should read The Golden Compass. Like literally, every day. She's also a GIGANTIC Harry Potter fan, and really thought I'd like the His Dark Materials series. So, while it took me over 4 years, I tried Mrs. Grimley, I tried.

I don't think this book was bad. I truly don't. There wasn't one factor that pissed me off or bored me. I just think that nothing happened while I was reading. Where are all the mentioned bears? Or even the freaki
Eleanor
Jan 01, 2008 Eleanor rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adultescents who dig fantasy
What a waste, I should have followed my instincts and not bothered finishing. The entire story hinges on the opening scene which is mildly dramatic, and from there the characters gain not an inch more depth. Lyra the protagonist was somewhat likable and probably easier for young readers to identify with, and perhaps if the adult characters were more thoughtful and complex I could have liked this book, maybe even the series. I gave this more than one star because the world in which this book is s ...more
Elizabeth
Dec 23, 2015 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still as good now as when I first read it sixteen years ago!
Shovelmonkey1
Feb 15, 2012 Shovelmonkey1 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the young at heart and those who like a flight of fantasy
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: daniel craig made a film. sold!
Sometimes you encounter a life versus literature tragedy. Frankly the fact that I never read this book when I was a child/teenager strikes me as one of these tragedies. I'd have loved to read this when it was first published. Sadly though, this was published in 1995 by which time I had already progressed from sweet childhood to moody teenage posturing, smoking, drinking and reading Nabokov and Kundera whilst attempting to be generally louche without really understanding what louche is.

Evoking c
Ranchlands' Club ...: Golden Compass, The 1 1 May 18, 2016 06:41PM
Find your dæmon 3 32 May 03, 2016 09:28AM
Reading Addicts : April- The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman 27 8 Apr 29, 2016 03:38PM
What would your dæmon be? 406 1668 Apr 19, 2016 10:12AM
Nerds & Encrenque...: The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1) 17 42 Mar 31, 2016 06:55AM
Around the Year i...: The Golden Compass, by Philip Pullman 8 28 Jan 02, 2016 03:59PM
  • The Dark Is Rising
  • The Mirror of Merlin (The Lost Years of Merlin, #4)
  • Juniper (Doran, #2)
  • The Merlin Conspiracy (Magids, #2)
  • The Realms of the Gods (Immortals, #4)
  • Lirael (Abhorsen, #2)
  • Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3)
  • The Amulet of Samarkand (Bartimaeus, #1)
  • A Wizard Alone (Young Wizards, #6)
  • Dangerous Angels (Weetzie Bat, #1-5)
  • Kushiel's Chosen (Phèdre's Trilogy, #2)
In 1946, acclaimed author Philip Pullman was born in Norwich, England, into a Protestant family. Although his beloved grandfather was an Anglican priest, Pullman became an atheist in his teenage years. He graduated from Exeter College in Oxford with a degree in English, and spent 23 years as a teacher while working on publishing 13 books and numerous short stories. Pullman has received many awards ...more
More about Philip Pullman...

His Dark Materials (3 books)
  • The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials, #2)
  • The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials, #3)

“You cannot change what you are, only what you do.” 921 likes
“That's the duty of the old,' said the Librarian, 'to be anxious on the behalf of the young. And the duty of the young is to scorn the anxiety of the old.'

They sat for a while longer, and then parted, for it was late, and they were old and anxious.”
263 likes