Start by marking “The 47 Ronin Story” as Want to Read:
The 47 Ronin Story

The 47 Ronin Story

3.69  ·  Rating Details ·  2,896 Ratings  ·  269 Reviews
47 Ronin Story is the classic Japanese story of Lord Asano of Ako and one of the bloodiest vendettas in Japan's feudal history. In a shocking clash between the warriors and the merchant class of seventeenth century Japan, there emerged the most unlikely set of heroes--the forty-seven ronin, or ex-samurai, of Ako.
Published September 15th 2006 by Tuttle Publishing (first published 1970)

Mark
Feb 05, 2013 Mark rated it liked it
A very strangely written book.

written without alot of passion in story or characters

more like a history essay.

but saying that there's something in the story which keeps you hooked till the end.

The final battle scene not a lot to say about it apart from its very clinically cleanly written as is the where we findout happened to all the people in the book.

I may give the fantasy version a read to see what that is like.
Terri
What a way to NOT start a New Year. It is the first half of the first month of 2014 and despite my hopes that this would be a big year for me and my reads, it has kicked off with a real let down.

I have seen 47 Ronin pop up in my friends' reading lists for a couple of years. I always thought it was a Young Adult book and avoided it as I only read adult fiction.
Then recently, I was looking for a book with an Asian Medieval (or near enough to it) flavour to suggest as a monthly read in my book gr
Alicja
Rating: 2/5

Summary: 47 Ronin seek justice for their executed lord.

Review: There are certain aspects of this story that I liked such as the plot and the cultural details of the time period. The author has studied the Japanese culture extensively and it shows. However, the characters, style of writing, and emotional connection/passion just wasn't there.

The feudal Japanese culture is vastly different from the modern Western way of thought, it was hard to understand some of the actions, and the rea
Lia
Jan 02, 2014 Lia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: am-hf, am-hflistopia
This book did not fully deliver my expectations. Reading it felt like a large task. The subject of the story was interesting, but the way it was told is flat.

However, I was able to drag myself to finish it and picking up bits and pieces of gems within the story.

I am giving the author a lot of credit for introducing plenty of cultural nuances in this book. I just wished the presentation was more personal instead of keeping me at a distance.
Luis Miguel Luna
Jan 02, 2012 Luis Miguel Luna rated it really liked it
Shelves: new-hartford
Alright! My first review post turns out to be about a Japanese classic. Neato. I actually read this book about a month ago, so my review may be a bit sketchy, but let's begin.

I first attempted to read this book about two years ago, when I bought it from the local borders during a visit from my parents. Unfortunately school and other things got in the way, but largely it was because at the time I thought it was too wordy or difficult to read and keep up with names. Whenever I encounter a situatio
Sweetdhee
Bagaimana rasanya kalau kita tahu kita akan pensiun sebentar lagi?

Oishi dan keseluruhan prajurit Ako merasakan kecemasan dan dendam yang luar biasa saat tuannya, Asano Naganori harus melakukan seppuku karena telah menyerang Kira, sang pemimpin upacara istana yang korupsi.

Bab-bab di pertengahan membuat saya mengingat masa-masa awal pensiun Bapak saya. Perasaan beliau mungkin hampir sama. Merasa tidak lagi diandalkan.

Para samurai klan Asano merasa tidak berguna karena tidak dapat membalas dendam
Nathan
Nov 17, 2013 Nathan rated it it was ok
The 47 Ronin story, is a legendary Japanese tale about honor, and what lengths people will go to in order to achieve such honor. The lengths that the 47 Ronin, of Lord Asano, went in order to achieve honor for themselves and for their master defiantly earned themselves a special place in Japanese history.
Despite all of this I still rated "The 47 Ronin Story", by John Allyn, 2 out of 5 stars. I did this not because I think that the story itself is dull or uninteresting but I think that the way
Христо Блажев
Когато честта е по-важна от живота: http://knigolandia.info/book-review/i...

Нивга не ще разбера японците – или поне онези, останали в историята, не днешните озападнили се бизнесмени. След времената, когато четях и препрочитах Клавел, мине се през чудесната ми среща с “Хилядите есени на Якоб де Зут” в началото на тази година, сега дойде и сблъсъкът ми с романизираната версия на популярния мит за 47-те ронини на Джон Алин – и пак се чудя и се мая една и съща планета ли обитаваме с тези хора с толк
mixal
In the beginning I have to say that I am not a big fan of books set in Japan/Asia, and that I wanted to use this book to get a bit out of my comfort zone and perhaps find interest in this setting. After finishing it, I have to say that it did not happen. The book had some engaging moments, but most of the time it felt more like a summary or a report about a story. The couple of dialogues and interesting cultural details could not save it. This is not a book I could recommend. 2.5 stars
Raihani
Oct 02, 2013 Raihani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I picked this book up in the local bookstore simply because I saw the word Ronin. I know what it means and therefore, I cannot resist the urge to pick it up, read the blurb and then after fighting with myself "to buy or not to buy", I gave in. I did not regret my decision.

I admit, it was a slow start but after I read the first 3 chapters, I became engrossed. Had to stop in between to sleep, shower, eat and of course off to work but the book was never far from my mind. Was impatient to finish it
Linda
Jan 04, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Themes of honor, loyalty, ritual suicide and acting in accord with the Samuri code of conduct make this read important. After Lord Asano is allowed ritual suicide, his samuri lose their lands and homes. They become ronin, duty bound to avenge their master's death. This story is true and troubling to me because I focused on the ritual suicides. I cannot understand why these ronin rejoiced that their deaths would be by their own hands. That thought led to remembering other people who chose suicide ...more
The Scrivener's Quill
The introduction to this book was not helpful to the experience of reading it. The professor from the United Kingdom places a nice heavy judgment on the acts of the Samurai in perpetrating an attack over a slight to their leader.

The story as told by this author creates a totally understandable and non-western justification for the attack by these Ronin. It makes no sense to try to apply western reasoning for why this attack happened.

I may have missed it, but if I were the author, I'd remove th
Irene
Feb 25, 2017 Irene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aye, in introduction I was warned about the questionable value of "heroism" of 47 Ronin, the "cause" of their honor revenge. But, it still touched me. They are just solid! Unshaken. And Oishi, maaannnn, he should be the Daimyo himself, instead of Lord Asano, he was even equal the Shogun leader. But hey, this is a funny world. And the concept of heroism can be strangely funny as well.
Teguh Affandi
Jan 31, 2016 Teguh Affandi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Novel 47 Ronin ini meski ditulis oleh orang Barat, tapi tidak mengurangi rasa 'kejepangan' sebagaimana novel-novel yang tulis oleh native Nihon. Saya masih begitu kagum dengan Botchan, Tokyo Tower, Tokyo Zodiac Murder, Dua Belas Pasang Mata, dan tentu milik Haruki Murakami. Bukan maksud membandingkan, tapi selalu ada rasa yang sama. Apa itu? Yakni ketenangan dan bagaimana penulis membangun alur dan vies setting yang detail dan apik. Di novel 47 Ronin ini pun demikian.Memang berkisha tentang 47 R ...more
Nek0 Neha (BiblioNyan)
Feb 27, 2013 Nek0 Neha (BiblioNyan) rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-lit
The 47 Ronin Story by John Allyn is a Japanese story about Lord Asano of Ako and what is known as one of the bloodiest campaigns in Japanese feudal history. It’s an intricate and extremely well-written story about a group of men who became ex-samurais when their master was executed for drawing his sword in the court of the Shogun. There are many wonderful aspects to this novel, but there are also just a couple of things that got under my skin.

Things that I loved about this book? Well, the storyt
Jacqueline Wagenstein
О, Изток е Изток и Запад е Запад — и вечно ще бъде така,
дордето за Съд над Небе и Земя Бог не простре ръка.
Но няма ни Изток, ни Запад, ни Юг; Граница, Род и Баща —
Застане ли Мъж срещу истински Мъж — даже накрай света.
/Ръдиард Киплинг/

Историята и културата на Страната на изгряващото слънце стават все по-популярни по целия свят. Интересното в „Историята на 47-те ронини“ е, че освен че ни запознава обстойно с тях, книгата представлява едно обширно и пълнокръвно изследване и на японската психика.
Да
Robbie
Jun 24, 2014 Robbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
47 Ronin takes you back to 18th century Japan. This book is about 47 "Ronin," or samurai, a soldier. Their leader, Lord Asano, has been killed by Lord Kira, the emperor of Edo (Tokyo). It happened when Lords Asano and Kira were having a political talk about taxes that Kira was putting on the people of Ako. But then Kira went so far as to insult Asano, and Asano lost his temper and cut Kira with his katana (sword). Kira had Asano executed, and disbanded the Ronin. But they met secretly and plott ...more
Martha Sockel

In 1702, Naganori Asano-Takuminokami was on a ceremonial visit to Shogun Tsunayoshi, but when he was insulted by a greedy and conceited courtier, Lord Asano struck him with his sword, violating the law, and resulting in his own order to commit ceremonial suicide. With the Asano estates forfeit to the Shogunate, all of his samurai were made masterless samurai or ronin.
Graham
Great!: This wonderful book is a bit of historical fiction that is based on one of the most famous examples of samurai honor and bravery. In 1702, Naganori Asano-Takuminokami was on a ceremonial visit to Shogun Tsunayoshi, but when he was insulted by a greedy and conceited courtier, Lord Asano struck him with his sword, violating the law, and resulting in his own order to commit ceremonial suicide. With the Asano estates forfeit to the Shogunate, all of his samurai were made masterless samurai o ...more
John Brissette
Jul 04, 2014 John Brissette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are some reviews of this book that are less than kind. They refer to the style. It is spartan or Hemmingway-esque, if you will. DO NOT LET THIS DISSUADE YOU. What better style for a tale of the samurai? A story of bravery among professional soldiers who shunned superfluousness for duty, honor, & a commitment to professional service should be told this way. There is also a recently released film. I haven't seen it, but no matter how good it is, it cannot live up to this masterful piece. ...more
Leeanne
Jun 14, 2011 Leeanne rated it it was amazing
I choose to read this book years ago for a school report. I expected to be bored, but as the story progressed, I found that I was anything but! This book has it all - war, love, betrayal, murder, sex, honor, dishonor, even comedy!!

There is a scene in the book where one of the men is having trouble walking because his pants need to stay ballooned out - if he walks wrong, they'll 'deflate', which would be disgraceful. And I remember laughing at the absurdity of the situation, in light of the horr
Brandon Wish
Sep 26, 2014 Brandon Wish rated it it was amazing
This is a great book and an enduring piece of literature. While many seemingly do not believe so, I think that's a case of cultural bias. If you read the book from the Samurai viewpoint, you'll see that's it's very much in keeping with their traditions: the book is not overly long nor is it profuse with flashy words or verbose passages. What it is is simple, elegant, and (I assume) true to the source material. While I believe many readers do not like the book due to the seemingly fanatical and h ...more
Tantri Setyorini
Actually I'm not sure whether 47 Ronins is true story or just a legend. But I remember that Memoirs of Geisha by Arthur Golden mentioned Ichiriki, one of the tea houses in Gion, Kyoto as the basecamp for the ronins while they're planning their revenge.
The story is quite simple, actually. Revenge for the master. That's it. After they'd done avenging, they got death sentence from the emperor/daimyo (don't remember) then they commited seppuku gladly. They said that allowed to commit suicide is such
Caroline
Historical fiction around the infamous samurai who became ronin when their master, Lord Asano, was instructed by the Shogun to commit seppuku for having struck Kira, the Shogun's Master of Ceremonies. It didn't matter that Kira was a corrupt official. Lord Asano of Ako's castle and lands were turned over and his samurai became ronin, left to seek their own fortunes without a master. The ronin were bound together by their fierce determination to seek the justice against Kira and to restore the na ...more
Justin
Jan 02, 2014 Justin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this story. I grab every film and book of its incarnation and eat it up with joy each time I take it in. I've even visited Senkaku-ji in Tokyo and seen the solemn graves of the characters in this book.
This telling is extremely good and realistic (unlike the recent fantasy film of the same name) but a bit tame.
Catherine  Mustread
Nov 25, 2016 Catherine Mustread rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: japan, 1700s, retellings
Shogun, samurai, and seppuku are not common words in my vocabulary but I do understand the concepts of greed, corruption, honor, loyalty, revenge, bravery and cunning -- all of which are in abundance in this 18th century Japanese story based on real life events.
Hakan Jackson
A more realistic account of the classic revenge tail. In this case, realistic made it more bland. Though I think that is more that I couldn't fall in love with the characters. It could have used more character depth.
Becca
Mar 27, 2014 Becca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing like the movie. Interesting story and insight into Japanese culture, but sad how much they ruined their lives for revenge.
Thesunan
klo samurai bawa katana, sambil baca buku ini saya bawa cutter.

2.5 bintang, karena kegiatan membaca terganggu oleh banyaknya halaman yg kertasnya masih nempel sama halaman lainnya.
Zlyoc
Feb 09, 2008 Zlyoc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"....Balas dendam Oishi..........."
  • Furin Kazan
  • Taiko: An Epic Novel of War and Glory in Feudal Japan
  • Kastel Awan Burung Gereja (Samurai, #1)
  • The Samurai
  • The Tale of the Heike
  • The Lone Samurai: The Life of Miyamoto Musashi
  • The Bamboo Sword: And Other Samurai Tales
  • Zen and Japanese Culture
  • The Way of the Traitor  (Sano Ichiro, #3)
  • The Last Shogun: The Life of Tokugawa Yoshinobu
  • Rashomon and Other Stories
  • Legends of the Samurai
  • Secrets of the Samurai: The Martial Arts of Feudal Japan
  • The Tokaido Road
  • The Life-Giving Sword: Secret Teachings from the House of the Shogun
  • The Ronin: A Novel Based on a Zen Myth
  • Code of the Samurai: A Modern Translation of the Bushido Shoshinshu of Taira Shigesuke
  • Samurai: The World of the Warrior
Dr. John Allyn Jr. is a former film and music editor in the motion picture and television industries and was also a writer and director of industrial films in the aerospace field. Mr. Allyn attended the Army Specialized Training Program at Stanford University in 1944, majoring in the Japanese language, and also attended the Army Intensive Japanese Language School at the University of Michigan in 1 ...more
More about John Allyn...

“It was to remind me how lucky we are that the beggar was placed in my path. You see, some people live all their lives without knowing which path is right. They're buffeted by this wind or that and never really know where they're going. That's largely the fate of commoners-those who have no choice over their destiny.

For those of us born as samurai, life is something else. We know the path of duty and we follow it without question. But even that may not be easy because there may be insurmountable obstacles. Such as what that blind beggar faces. He might have a secret dream of revenge against an oppressor too. He might have justice on his side as we do now, but there is nothing he can do about it. I say we're lucky-we know what has to be done and it's within out capability to make it happen!

…Remember, there's sacrifice involved in any kind of life. Even the man who chooses the safe way has to give up the thrill of combat. The point is that once you know what you want, you must be prepared to sacrifice everything to get it. Those who realize this are the fortunate ones. Those who know and can try. What more can a man ask for than that?”
19 likes
“A man will only be as long as his life but his name will be for all time.” 10 likes