Start by marking “Turkey Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #7)” as Want to Read:
Turkey Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #7)

Turkey Day Murder (Lucy Stone #7)

3.76  ·  Rating Details ·  1,338 Ratings  ·  120 Reviews
Once again, Leslie Meier mystery fans can give thanks for the eccentric charms of Tinker's Cove and the exploits of its hometown amateur sleuth, Lucy Stone. This time, the residents of Tinker's Cove are in the midst of Thanksgiving festivities, when someone adds murder to the menu.
Published October 1st 2000 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about Turkey Day Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Turkey Day Murder

Mandy Crider
Apr 20, 2015 Mandy Crider rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice little cozy mystery. Lucy Stone is always in the middle of a murder no matter what her husband or Horowitz says to her. This one had more action in it and had a nice plot. I was completely floored with the killer, had no idea who it was until the last two chapters. Nice, solid book and would recommend! Perfect for the upcoming season. Happy reading!!!
Pamela
I spied this cornball-cover cozy on a shelving-endcap at the library, and thought - What the heck? - I'll give it a whirl. After all, there's a whole gaggle of Halloween and Christmas novels and mysteries, but you don't find too many Thanksgiving-themed gems. Even if it had turned out to be as corny as the cover, nothing wasted but a dollop of time.

Oh, but what a delightful surprise!

TURKEY DAY MURDER is quite the respectable little mystery. Entertainment with substance.

Loved the fictional coz
Kimberly
Nov 06, 2015 Kimberly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An author and series completely new to me. I really enjoyed this book and have now ordered other books in the series.
This book really got me in the Thanksgiving spirit. I loved the descriptions of the Thanksgiving table, the family, the food, the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade on TV, local football, the town and its people.
Even though this is a book 7, I saw it as a stand alone. I did not feel I had missed anything from previous books.

I recommend this book for anyone who enjoys Thanksgiving and
MaryBeth Donnelly
Nov 03, 2007 MaryBeth Donnelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice, easy reads combining family, cooking, holidays and mystery!
Kate
Oct 18, 2010 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Thanksgiving theme; it really put me in the mood for Turkey Day!
Dec 05, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This review was originally posted to Jen in Bookland

Turkey Day Murder is the first book by this author I have read. I was expecting a fun, light mystery around Thanksgiving day. Maybe a little zany fun. What I got instead was a rather dull read. All of the characters were rather boring, the murder, the investigation, everything. Really Lucy didn't do much investigating she just thought about things for the most part and noticed people as she did her job.

Lucy is a reporter who covers the town me
Diane Morasco
May 13, 2009 Diane Morasco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library, mystery, cozy
Thanksgiving in Tinker's Cove with the Stone brood makes this chica smile. Meier's series has been one of my absolute favorites for over 15 years. I picked up my first Lucy Stone @ the now defunct B. Dalton in the South Shore Mall - now Westfield South Shore Shopping Center - in Bay Shore, New York when I was 18. Suffice it to say, I haven't looked back since.

I own the series in various forms from my mint *hands off* copies to reader editions to lendingbutdon'tholdyabreathwaitingforthemtoberetur
April Wood
Nov 24, 2013 April Wood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Resident amateur sleuth Lucy Stone has a lot on her plate this Thanksgiving... Besides fixing dinner for 12, having to come up with something suitable for two vegan college kids to eat, write for the pennysaver, and deal with her chauvinistic boss, she also has a murder to solve!

Curt Nolan and his chicken murderer of a dog are hardly welcome in small town Tinker's Cove, making his murder next to impossible to solve. Everyone is suspect! Lucy puts her journalistic skills to work and gets a bit to
Tabby Kat
This time the topic is casinos. Lucy is writing a feature story for the Pennysaver regarding this subject, and while doing research for the article, she discovers that the town is split as to whether they want a casino or not. The economy has been tough for the residents of Tinker's Cove, and Lucy knows that a casino will add jobs to a struggling economy. But she also knows that gambling can be a hard addiction for some, and she worries that her town will never be the same again if a casino is a ...more
Susan
Jan 07, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-reads
Turkey Day Murder was another enjoyable read in Meier's Lucy Stone series. I really find myself enjoying this series especially the holiday titles. Lucy was looking forward to having her son come home from college for the holidays and got a lot more than she bargained for when she ends up with extra guests for Thanksgiving, becomes involved in a community debate over a casino, and tries to solve a murder. I really like how Meier interweaves these different stories which makes for an interesting ...more
Luffy
Feb 19, 2014 Luffy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've had second thoughts about the rating, and I may have been harsh, but in the end it doesn't matter. I will keep on reading this series till the end. The reasons for that are scattered throughout the book. The author knows when to reveal the full details of Lucy's thoughts, but she doesn't become attached to her character. She never praises Lucy and simply relays her highly moralistic meanderings. Officer Barney Culpepper makes a late entrance, but then the murder itself was late in coming. ...more
Catherine
Oct 13, 2014 Catherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tinker's Cove has a long history of Thanksgiving festivities,from visits with Tom Tom Turkey to the annual Warriors high school football game and Lucy Stone's impressive pumpkin pie. But this year someone has added murder to the menu and Lucy intends to discover who let Mentinnicut Indians activist Curt Nolan deader than a Thanksgiving turkey with an ancient war club next to his head. The list of suspects isn't a brief one. Nolan has a habit of disagreeing with just about everybody he met. But i ...more
Jonathan
Another in a series I'm currently working my way through, Turkey Day Murder was one of my least favorite in this series so far.

I mostly like Lucy. She's kind and caring, but she honestly has no spine when it comes to her husband. Her husband who, in this book, told her that she should've been cleaning the house instead. It was so infuriating,a dn, if you cannot tell, I absolutely CANNOT stand Bill!

The mystery was good, though parts of it were slightly obvious and the ending was too perfect for m
Cyndi
Nov 23, 2016 Cyndi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good cozy little mystery. Lucy works for a small town newspaper in Maine. (I've sometimes thought about that job in the small town in Maine I live in. But, I'm thinking these books make it seem dangerous. No murders in the years I've lived here. My luck, they would start with my first article on the Farmers Market. Candle sellers can be a cut throat bunch.) Anyway, cute book, but her husband needs to lighten up, some. That's why Mainers hardly ever marry Texans. I would have 'smacked him upsid ...more
Jackie
Sep 25, 2012 Jackie rated it it was amazing
I love the Lucy Stone series. Whenever I read one, it feels like I'm visiting an old friend. In this one, Lucy is preparing for Thanksgiving at home. Toby will be coming home from college. She misses him terribly. The murder in this book has to do with an Indian tribe that wants to get federal recognition in order to build a casino in Tinker's Cove. As usual, Lucy solves the case but not before getting into a bit of trouble.
Terri
Mar 17, 2008 Terri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Lucy Stone is a reporter for a small town paper. A local dispute over a local tribe seeking federal recognition and to build a casino in the sleepy town of Tinker's Cove has a lot of people upset. And when a local tribemember is murdered, Lucy investigates.

Not my favorite of the series, but an exnjoyable read
Wendy
Aug 18, 2012 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typical Lucy Stone mystery. I did not know who the killer was until they caught him, so that is a plus. I was actually going to give Bill credit for not being a neanderthal in this book, but in the end, he was. I enjoy reading these mysteries mostly because I enjoy visiting the folks of Tinker Cove and seeing how Lucy's kids are growing.

Nov 23, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
stayed up far past my bed time to finish this book, completely worth! ive been looking for a good murder mystery series and I'm glad ive found one (I will now start reading them from the beginning). the characters are believable, Lucy is adorable, there is lots of food talk and the story has you on your toes! a lovely light quick read, which is lucky because it's impossible to put down!
Ryan James
Jun 03, 2012 Ryan James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: My American Studies students
Shelves: leslie-meier
I really enjoy holiday mysteries, more so since I have not lived in the US for over 10 years. However, books such as this one fall into a category all of their own. I call it Mind Candy. These are the books that you read just for the fun of it, not for intellectual stimulation. With that in mind, I relax and absorb some of the holiday traditions that I no longer participate in.
Michele
Jun 28, 2012 Michele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I like this series, it's a quick enjoyable read....and it's got the same main characters, and the stories all take place in a small town, but so far, it hasn't seemed like a recycled plot line...each story is new but with the same familiar characters.
Kristina
Jun 16, 2016 Kristina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightful cozy mystery. It is fun to read. Engaging characters and a good mystery. I have read every book in the series. I believe I liked the earlier books the best. I look forward to a new installment each year.
Arlene
Jan 24, 2015 Arlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice easy read. No gory scenes, no sex scenes. Likeable main character - housewife, news reporter who is a bumbling woman who attempts to solve crimes. I really enjoy her books. I never guess the murderer before the end.
Fmorlan
Feb 05, 2013 Fmorlan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tinkers cove thanksgiving - toby and friends home from college for the holidays. But a casino project adds interest and murder to Lucy's holiday. She tries to stay out of the investigation until Miss Tilley asks her to look into it. Then noone is safe from then on.
Meredith
Oct 07, 2012 Meredith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first mystery I have read by Leslie Meier. I enjoyed this one quite a bit and as it is an easy read. I like these cozies. It reminds me of the Joanna Fluke series alot. Will be reading the St. Patrick's Day series for the next reading challenge I think.
Ronica
Jul 06, 2010 Ronica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished this one today, the mystey was a neat for my taste and I honestly had no idea who the killer was until the last few pages. To be honest the killer wasn't even on my list of suspects, I have been reading this series on and off for the past year and I'm never disappointed.
Jen Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ
Cute quick paced mystery with the spirit of Thanksgiving interjected through the story.
Melissa
Dec 04, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2007
Book #81 read in 2007

Just like the others in the series, a quick and easy read.
Randee Gillund
Jul 10, 2014 Randee Gillund rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love Lucy Stone books!
Diane
May 14, 2012 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Another great cozy!
Mary
Jul 21, 2008 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Her son is coming home from college and he brings 3 friends and they all sleep in the family room (boys and girls).
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect page count 2 8 Oct 28, 2016 09:25PM
  • The Thanksgiving Day Murder (Christine Bennett, #6)
  • Hocus Croakus (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #19)
  • Gingerbread Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #13.5)
  • A Catered Thanksgiving (A Mystery with Recipes, #7)
  • Last Writes (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #2)
  • The Chocolate Frog Frame-Up (A Chocoholic Mystery, #3)
  • The Trouble with Turkeys (Zoe Donovan Mystery #2)
  • Stake & Eggs (Cackleberry Club, #4)
  • Murder of a Barbie and Ken (A Scumble River Mystery, #5)
  • Death in Duplicate (Susan Henshaw, #16)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Defends Her Own (Mrs. Jeffries, #30)
  • Through the Grinder (Coffeehouse Mystery, #2)
Leslie Meier lives in Harwich, Cape Cod, Massachusetts. She is the creator of 'Lucy Stone', a reporter and amateur sleuth in New England.

More about Leslie Meier...

Lucy Stone (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Mistletoe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #1)
  • Tippy Toe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #2)
  • Trick or Treat Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #3)
  • Back to School Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #4)
  • Valentine Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #5)
  • Christmas Cookie Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #6)
  • Wedding Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #8)
  • Birthday Party Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #9)
  • Father's Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #10)
  • Star Spangled Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #11)