Start by marking “This Year's Model” as Want to Read:
This Year's Model

This Year's Model

3.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  193 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Supermodel Carol Alt takes us on a wild ride through the glamorous, cutthroat world of fashion and fame—in a biting, witty, and absolutely authentic novel that rocks the world of high-end modeling!

Tall, beautiful, practical Melody Ann Croft of Morristown, New Jersey, is busting her behind as a waitress and wishing there was an easier way to earn money for college. When a
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published August 26th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about This Year's Model, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Year's Model

Marjanne
Nov 05, 2008 Marjanne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Ok, the one thing this book has going for it is that it's a quick read. That's about it. I wasn't expecting Shakespeare, but this story was just insipid! It was predictable. It did not resolve anything. There wasn't enough character development to really understand why the main character was motivated to stay in a career that she didn't really seem interested in or why she was friends with any of her 'friends'. There was just too much undeveloped. It really feels that the author (who is a former ...more
Brittany
Feb 17, 2009 Brittany rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People interested in modeling and enjoy 'slice-of-life' insider books
Recommended to Brittany by: Myself
How I Came To Read This Book: Bargain buy to throw in an Amazon order.

The Plot: Melody Anne Croft is just a lowly Jersey girl waitress when a photographer scouts her for a career in the exciting world of modeling. In the blink of the eye, Melody transforms into 'Mac', modeling 'it' girl. When not trying out for the latest photo campaign, spread, or runway show, Melody is busy trying to warm up to the cold, catty girls in the industry, and even moreso to the hunk of her boy model dreams, Duncan.
Jan 31, 2009 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The prose was well written in the click-lit genre. In fact, that is what kept me reading.

However, the plot and character development left me cold. The character became more shallow as the book went on - more concerned with the superficial (weight, brand of handbag), and unwilling to put herself out to help a friend. Then it ended.
Suzie Quint
This book had very little story arc. Characters came and went, never to appear again. The first half to 2/3s of the book showed Alt's knowledge of the fashion industry, but that's not the point of fiction. This is not something I'd recommend.
Ariel
Jan 20, 2015 Ariel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is really an eye-opener to the modeling industry of today, where you can't just have a pretty face, you also need a good brain. Betrayal lurks around every corner, and you can't depend on anyone. I like how Melody doesn't get really discouraged, and no matter how much her friend Jade puts her down, she's always there for her. It's a lovely book. Some parts, though, just didn't stick with me, and sometimes I just wanted to kill the main character. But this book is still a pretty good bo ...more
Carey
Sep 04, 2008 Carey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this fun new novel the reader gets to experience the outrageous world of professional modelling through the eyes of newly discovered model Melody Ann Croft.

Melody is just a normal kid from New Jersey, working as a waitress during her last summer before going away to college. Then one night a professional photographer happens to have dinner at the restaurant where she works. He thinks she has potential and gives her some contacts which turn out to be top modelling agencies in Manhattan.

After
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Angela S. for TeensReadToo.com

Melody Ann Croft is your average hometown girl - very practical, with her whole life planned out ahead of her.

That all changes one day when a customer at the restaurant where she is working tells her she could be a model and gives her his card, along with the numbers of all the top agencies in New York. Melody is a little curious, despite thinking this man is crazy, so she calls one agency and just with the mention of this man (who happens to be a famous
Holly Lee (Bellas Novella)
Janice Dickinson claims to be the first Supermodel. Carol Alt however is the true title holder. She rose to fame swiftly in the 80's creating a new legion of models, Supermodels -or Supes as they call themselves.

Carol Alt has appeared on over 700 magazine covers. The woman is a legend! When she set out to write a fictional novel about the world of modeling, she certainly had done her homework. Her portrayal of the industry seems to be spot on. I read Carol Alt's biography and found a lot of para
Lexie
Aug 03, 2014 Lexie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The beginning of the book was great and captivating. I loved following the life of an up and coming model. The book feel through for me in the end. I felt it ended quickly and was left unresolved. Some of the content made me feel slightly uneasy, but I suppose that goes along with the model aspect of the book. It is a decent mindless read.
Bee
Aug 13, 2015 Bee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this not long after my most stressful semester of university, I picked it up looking for something kind of shallow and easy to breeze through and that's what I got. Don't read this if you're looking for complex character arcs or a plot that actually follows a three act structure, you'll only be disappointed.
Meaghan
Jan 22, 2014 Meaghan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
fun and informative at the same time. didnt touch as much on the issues that a lot of other books about modeling do (drug use, sex, eating disorders, etc) but was still a real picture of life for a young model. i enjoyed it.
Imika Satsuki
I gave the book two stars, because..."it was okay". Really, no other phrase could describe it better.

There was a lack of plot, and there wasn't much build up, and right when the book ended was when I thought the plot was beginning to form.

My reaction: That's it?

She writes okay, and this book is something I'd read for passing time, but I probably would not be particularly enjoying it.
Jessica Journey
May 04, 2012 Jessica Journey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: miss-independent
Read this entirely on the beach in Cozumel. Great vacation book. I think what really stood out to me about this story was how Melody actually has morals and character. It was very refreshing, in a genre dominated by the catty self-centeredness of the girls in Clique and Gossip Girl books. It's nothing incredible, but I found it an interesting and entertaining read.
Rachel
Feb 08, 2009 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
I bought this book because I love watching America's Next Top Model, and wanted to read about an actual model's experience. Her story is very interesting, but believe me, by the end of I have no doubt that I can cross modeling off of my potential career list! Holy cow! Tough industry. Either way, still really enjoyed reading it.
K
Mar 13, 2013 K rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, fashion
You would think that since this was written by an actual supermodel, it would be realistic. It's not. It's vapid and shallow and totally predictable, all the while being whimsical to the point of annoyance. I didn't even bother finishing it because I felt more brain cells committing suicide with each virtual page turn.
JaceAngel
I didn't really like the ending, it seemed to me that she became someone superficial, MAC is described as being pretty and all but I think somewhere along the way she lost pieces of herself. Jade, isn't her friend no matter what goes on between them, Jade never really is her friend and MAD does NOT acknowledge this.
Katie Herring
Juvenile writing, but the plot was interesting enough.

Read it in one breath because I wanted to know what would happen, not because I was enthralled by the plot, etc.

I did not like the ending. It just ended. Ugh hate that.
Emily
Mar 07, 2009 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though I rated this a 3, it was a cute book and quick read. There were too many unrelatable/unlikely situations, but the characters were interesting and gave an interesting insight into what its really like to be a model.
Ashlyn
May 21, 2012 Ashlyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was kinda interesting.. It was pretty boring and lost me through the middle.. I hated the ending. The book was kinda pointless cause nothing really happened in the end.. Kin of confusing. Didn't like it.
Patti
Nov 20, 2008 Patti rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read anything in a while and this is what I pick up? My local library is very small, so if I want to just grab something, my options are limited. So this was a lame book, enough said.
Mariah
Apr 24, 2010 Mariah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book has few surprises. It is a string of events that could be predicted in a model's life as she climbs to "super" status. I think I'm too old to qualify for the target audience.
Kerri
Oct 19, 2010 Kerri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book because it brough the reader into the world of modeling, however I found the main characters were very hard to relate to.
Kimberly
Feb 15, 2010 Kimberly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, quick read. Interesting look at the modeling world from a former model. Uncomplicated plot makes for a good vacation read.
Lauren
Jan 05, 2009 Lauren rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I got this book for free at NY fashion week, go figure. It was a quick read and kept my attention...slightly childish
Sabrina
May 23, 2013 Sabrina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book so much! I NEED to read the second one!!! You should definitely read it if you're into model books.
Antoinette Nash
Not the best read. That's what yo get though, with five dollars at Barnes and Noble.
Elizabeth
Nov 14, 2010 Elizabeth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Now I know why this was in the $3.99 bin at Barnes and Noble...
Kim
Aug 25, 2011 Kim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Neat to read about the modeling world, but a very teeny-bopper book.
Allison Krumm
Good pacing, but a terribly unsatisfying ending.
Caitlin
Jul 05, 2013 Caitlin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Light fun read. But the ending was rushed.
  • Catwalk
  • Accidentally Fabulous (The Fashion-Forward Adventures of Imogene, #3)
  • A Model Summer
  • Violet by Design (Violet, #2)
  • Hollywood is Like High School With Money
  • Fortune
  • A Bump in the Road: From Happy Hour to Baby Shower
  • The Second Wives Club
  • The Adultery Club
  • Love and Chaos (Brooklyn Girls, #2)
  • Sweet Deceit (Privilege, #4)
Constantly in search of new frontiers, Carol Alt is the ultimate chameleon. Since her days as the world’s most renowned Supermodel, Carol Alt has gone on to be author, actress and entrepreneur. Having had enormous success in all her endeavors such as being a USA Today Best-Selling Author for her books on Raw food; a multi- award winning actress; the face of her own line of cosmetics; having a numb ...more
More about Carol Alt...

“Always stand up for what you believe in. Always defend yourself and your beliefs.” 2 likes