The Christmas Doll

The Christmas Doll

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  320 ratings  ·  49 reviews
In a heartwarming novel that is destined to become a Christmas classic, acclaimed author Elvira Woodruff tells the story of two orphaned sisters whose lives are forever changed by a magical doll.

Lucy and Glory are orphaned sisters with no real place to call home. Only their memories of a beautiful doll named Morning Glory brighten their bleak lives. When a deadly fever swe...more
Published October 1st 2002 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 2000)

Donna
The Christmas Doll is a story about two orphans who were being brought to a factory and were forced to work there. It's setting is in London, where the time is 150 years ago, and it was a very dark society at that time. The were sisters, and everyday the factory they had very less food to eat, and the quality of the food is very poor. Then the younger sister got sick and was being separated from her sister. And this led to the escape of the two sisters from the factory. After the escape they had...more
Alleluialu
My daughter told me I should read this book last year when I was doing the Christmas Spirit Reading Challenge, but I never got to it. So, I decided to read it this year. It is the story of two orphan girls who escape the workhouse and live on the streets in the city. The elder, Lucy, got a job at a doll's shop when she went in to try to sell a doll she had found in the mud. She happened to be wearing her sister Glory's apron upon which she had stitched a little Morning Glory flower. The shopkeep...more
Alyssa Bloedow
This book is written by an author named Elvira Woodruff. She has written many books including "The Christmas Doll". This story can compare to my life because i had lost a doll from when i was about three years old. I had recently cleaned my closet and had found it. I was so happy about finding her because i got her from my uncle and she meant so much to me.
Yvonne
The Christmas Doll could be described as a Charles Dickens-ish story with a female main character. Lucy and Glory’s parents are dead and they live in a workhouse. The book begins just slightly before they escape. As children living on the streets, their future looks really dim, until they discover they can trade items they find at the dump for food. The younger girl, Glory, finds a worn and muddy old doll at the dump, and immediately wants to keep it. During their time at the workhouse, the olde...more
Izzy An
I loved this heart warming story. Even though these two orphans went through difficult times, and even more difficult people, these two sisters love for each other encouraged them to push on for a better future. I loved how their hard work and courage paid off in such a cruel world. It's a Christmas story that would warm anyone's heart.
Kathleen
Not much to say about this book. It's a pretty standard Christmas story: two girls escape from a Victorian workhouse and find a doll while mudlarking, which sets off a chain of events that gets them a new home just in time for Christmas. No surprises here, but I suppose it's not the sort of story that you choose when looking for surprises. It's a nice, quick little read.

I will say that this book does the best job of weaving in the Christian faith that I've yet seen. Lucy thinks and behaves as a...more
Yentil Yvette Flores
Read this book back when I was younger (10). It's the first book I've ever read and I fell in love. The story was beautiful and to this day I still admire it.
Kiranvir
May 24, 2014 Kiranvir is currently reading it
This book is probably the best book I have read
Rachel
I loved this book as a kid!
Anne
Hearting warming Christmas story. I really enjoyed it.
Reham La-yramo
The first book I ever bought...I think I was in grade four...I still remember every page clearly because I read over 10 times... it's very inspiring and sad at the same time... I cried through the while book because it was just so touching.
I love how lucy describes the little things that are so important to her being and orphan and her love towards her sister is what gave them the will to survive the cold London streets.
My dad has donated away my copy of this book :( I'd pay anything to have a c...more
Leah
I really enjoyed this book. It is for a young audience but I went to see the play and had to read the book. The whole story revolves around two orphan girls, who find themselves out on the streets of London during the winter and fever. The adventure and courage these girls have is tremendous and finding morning glory was so sweet. If you are looking for an easy Christmas read this is the book for you. I recommend it to everyone even the little kids.
Imani
Since the year I got it (I can't say when that was exactly) Elementary school (5th or 6th grade) or junior high years? Anyway I've had it and loved it since then. I'm 20 now, and since a couple years ago (perhaps 4 or 5?) I've made it my tradition to read it every Christmas~ <3 It's a lovely story. Completely heartwarming~

Christmas is incomplete to me until I read it during the season~!
Mitch Cardella Trudel Du Mond
I ‘m amazed to how people lived in the early part of the centuries, the lack of caring, and education, yet somehow the people survived, life was brutal, unless you had the means to better yourself. This is a story of the good fortune and destiny for all the characters. But I wonder is anything like that ever happened? You are right. It is a Christmas story. What do you think?
Camilla
I was almost done with the book. But I stopped there because I had to read other books (book reports and such).

This book is so sad! Not actually sad. But about determination and living on your own in a dirty, disgusting, English world. I feel so bad for those two little girls but it definitely opened my eyes and gave feeling and love for them.
AmblingBooks
"[A] magical story�.A �dollightful' surprise for Santa to tuck under the Christmas tree�." � Kirkus Reviews

Listen to The Christmas Doll on your iPhone, desktop, or smartphone.
Tawna
This is absolutely one of my all time favourite books; I've read it at least once a year since I first came upon it. It's a sad but heartwarming tale of two sisters placed in unfortunate circumstance and their struggle to find solidity in their lives. Really cute.
Meghan
I remember reading this in...maybe 5th grade and absolutely loving it. It must be good because it was certainly a book that some parts still stick clearly in my memory and I think about sometimes, and I haven't read it in six years.
Susannah
This is a sweet, quick read, with a lovely and heart-warming relationship between the two sisters. It's sort of like a shorter, less complex Dickens novel, and with girls as the main characters.
Danica
My mother-in-law loves this book. I had a hard time getting through the heart breaking beginning for these two little girls because I kept thinking of my own little girls.
Ilayda
Jul 04, 2010 Ilayda added it
For some reason, this really stuck with me. It's not a terribly unique story, but I read it every couple of years at Christmas, and it always entertains me.
Cheryl in CC NV
Overly sentimental and melodramatic. No depth, no gray areas, lots of lucky coincidences. Short. I may have liked it more when I was, say, seven.
Tamsen
A wonderful Christmas read. Well written. A story about two orphaned sisters and their fight to survive the
many obstacles that stand in their way.
Nina
I really liked the historical details. A good book for girls who liked "A Little Princess," and would also make a good Hallmark Christmas movie.
Brandi
I read this book in the 5th grade, and loved it. I'm in eleventh grade now, and this book has hung in the back of my mind ever since.
Serena
No matter how old I am, this book still makes me cry just like it did when I was ten. This one is worth reading more than once.
Nikita
I read this book when I was kid! I loved it. I just found it on here and just seeing the cover gives me all sorts of nostalgia :)
Erika
Jul 21, 2010 Erika added it
Shelves: read-it-alot
I read this book 7 times an I lllllllooooooooovvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeedddddddddddddd it!!!! READ IT! READ IT! READ IT!
Gemma
Mar 31, 2011 Gemma rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE NOW...:)
poor lucy and glory feel sorry for them.makes you feel different about the olden times. you sould change it :)
  • What Child Is This?: A Christmas Story
  • Mortimer's Christmas Manger
  • Why Christmas Trees Aren't Perfect
  • The Money We'll Save
  • The Little Fir Tree
  • Megan's Island
  • Lady Lollipop
  • The Bobbsey Twins and the Mystery at Snow Lodge (Bobbsey Twins, #5)
  • Harry Kitten and Tucker Mouse
  • Danger at the Zoo: A Kit Mystery (American Girl Mysteries (Quality))
  • Trouble's Daughter: The Story of Susanna Hutchinson, Indian Captive
  • Rodzina
  • Horrible Harry and the Christmas Surprise
  • The Ghosts
  • The Curse of Ravenscourt: A Samantha Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Unicorns Don't Give Sleigh Rides (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #28)
  • Lord of the Nutcracker Men
  • Elsie's Womanhood (The Original Elsie Classics, #4)
Well-known for her popular children’s stories, author Elvira Woodruff had a long route to becoming a writer. In fact, one of her first jobs after leaving college was driving an ice cream truck. She has also worked as a receptionist, a janitor, a window dresser, a gardener, a shop owner, an assistant librarian, a waitress, and a storyteller. After working for several years in the children’s room of...more
More about Elvira Woodruff...
The Ravenmaster's Secret: Escape From The Tower Of London George Washington's Socks The Orphan Of Ellis Island Fearless The Memory Coat