Start by marking “Hamelin's Child” as Want to Read:
Hamelin's Child

Hamelin's Child (Hamelin #1)

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Michael Redford died on his seventeenth birthday – the night Eddie picked him up off the street, shot him full of heroin and assaulted him.

Now he’s Mikey and he works for Joss. With streaked blond hair and a cute smile, he sleeps by day and services clients at night. Sometimes he remembers his old life, but with what he’s become now, he knows there is no return to his com
Published February 2011 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about Hamelin's Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hamelin's Child

Bloodraven by P.L. NunnSpecial Forces by Aleksandr VoinovMind Fuck by Manna FrancisEvenfall by Santino HassellWicked Gentlemen by Ginn Hale
Best "Dark" Gay Characters
139th out of 210 books — 314 voters
Into the Killer Sphere by Stefania MattanaCutting Right to the Chase by Stefania MattanaTriptych by Karin SlaughterBlindsighted by Karin SlaughterMurder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie
Best Female Crime/Mystery/Thriller Writers
117th out of 364 books — 209 voters

More lists with this book...

Emma Sea

Just like an episode of The Bill, in book form. Excellently written, fairly bleak.

Not an m/m romance.
Charmed
I did not like this novel at all. there were some very unsympathetic charecters in this story and i'm not even talking about all the men who drugged and raped the protagonist. there are two ways to review a book, based on personal feelings and quality of writing, very different things that unfortunatly in this story align perfectly. I like dark stories; when i'm in the mood the darker the better this story though dark missed the mark compleatly. This story could have been good with it's elements ...more
E.L. Farris
DJ Bennett's novel, Hamelin's Child, is a well-written, dark, brilliant story about heroin, kidnapping, (forced) child prostitution and the sheer strength of the human spirit. While this might sound like a handful, the story is told gracefully and as gently as possible, in my opinion, to maintain authenticity without unduly jarring or triggering the reader.

I found the main character, Michael, likable and sympathetic. I rooted for him the whole way through, and admired his guts and his dogged ref
Jenny Hilborne
Wow. Hamelin's Child is dark, raw, shocking, and a fascinating read. Tricked and drugged on his 17th birthday, Michael Redford wakes up and finds himself thrust into the worst kind of nightmare imaginable. Forced to go to extraordinary lengths to survive, I wondered all the way through the book if he ever would or could. The horrors he faces are horrors that could easily happen to any vulnerable kid in a moment of rebellion, weakness, whatever you might call it. Nothing about the story is predic ...more
Book Addict Shaun
I was browsing Amazon when I came across this book. The author very kindly sent me a review copy and I couldn't wait to start it. With some glowing reviews on Amazon I started it with a bit of trepidation at what to expect. Debbie Bennett has written one hell of a story here, one that will pull at your heartstrings and have you experiencing every emotion possible as you read. At times the story becomes so difficult you almost want to put the book down, but it is just too gripping to do that.

Mic
Bookworm
Debbie Bennett has produced a divine creation; a product that is dark and rich, and you know you really shouldn't eat too much of it but then carry on anyway.
This novel, with it's frightening plot of teenage sexual and drug abuse is taken to the limits. I admit, I was out of my comfort zone entirely; not my usual genre. And yet...I was drawn right down into the dark underbelly of the seedy side of the city. We know it's all there; the drugs and the rent boys, but what makes this book exceptional
Rosemary O'Malley
I'm rounding up because the riveting parts of this book were RIV-ET-ING.

The main problem I had was that the parts with the sister were just in the wrong book. They didn't have the same feel as the rest of the story. There were well written and would have been fantastic in a different setting, but this showcase was not the place.

Still, I thought it was pretty damned good.

ETA 11/10/12 to correct my lousy typing.
Jack
A disturbing and well observed thriller about a teenage boy who is kidnapped.
Eve
It's very well written, but I just didn't end up liking it that much.
Ryan Bracha
Michael Redford meets Eddie in a nightclub on his seventeenth birthday, who spikes his drink and kidnaps him, pumping him full of heroin and raping him several times. Once he comes to, three weeks later, he is pimped out by Eddie and his cohort Joss in exchange for heroin fixes. His only ally is the more experienced yet younger boy Lee, who also lives in the flat that he is held hostage in. Throughout all of this, Michael’s sister Kate tries to track down the brother that the rest of the world b ...more
S.M. Johnson
Hamelin's Child is not a pretty book. I read a review that said the characters were flat and not engaging, but requested a kindle sample anyway, and the moment I was done reading the sample, purchased the book. I think the characters are very British, and not terribly emotional, but I truly could not put this book down until I finished reading it, and now I am writing this review because I can't focus on anything else. This story will be with me for a long time.

Michael's story was gripping. I fe
Megan
It was okay, but the whole side-story with the sister and her love life couldn't have been more monotonously boring. Honestly, I skipped over those parts. Also I felt like all the characters were a bit flat and the end was abrupt with relationships never really reconciled like they should have been. And the police work was a bit of a facepalm, I really don't think the author knows much about investigations or especially mental health and rehabilitation of child drug addicts, because the issue wa ...more
Ian
What happens when seventeen-year-old Michael has his drink spiked on a night out and finds himself forced into a very different life? Hamelin’s Child is a gritty novel that explores the dark underworld of rent boys and drug addiction.

Bennett has an easy style and a sharp ear for dialogue. Characters from the bewildered Michael through the violent pimp to the decent but overworked detective are all too believable. The net result is a story that doesn’t so much hook you as grab you by the throat a
Dixiane Hallaj
Michael, a bored, middle-class suburbanite is looking for a seventeenth birthday thrill with a bit of underage drinking. He gets far more than he bargains for in this dark, seamy novel. Even though the explicit sex bothered me, the realism in the writing and the knowledge that, although this was a novel, the real thing was happening in the real world in a layer of society I never see, bothered me much more.

I was pleased that the author gave the book a satisfying conclusion with just enough loose
CrimeThrillerGirl
Set in the seedy world of London's drug and prostitution rings, this is a harrowing and gritty story. However, as brutal as parts of this novel are, I found that I kept reading on, wanting to find out if Mikey could turn things around, get out of the horrendous situation he found himself in, and get some of his old life back.

This is a well written, fast paced thriller with plenty of twists and turns to keep the reader guessing. It's gritty and has adult content, but is never gratuitous.

If you're
Ey
All I can say is wow. Hamelin's Child is much more than the plight of a kidnapped male child, forced into drugs and prostitution. It is a story that will remain on your mind long after you read it and make you want to protect your sons as much as you would your daughters.
I was spellbound wondering and wishing 'Mikey' could escape his plight and then flabbergasted by the change of events when his opportunity for escape arrived. The twist and turns of the storyline is so unexpected. DJ Bennett did
Kay Robinson
This grim hard hitting tale of a youngster, kidnapped for sexual use, is not for the queasy, it pulls no punches. I found it an amazing piece of writing. Debbie Bennett catches the sense of drama, of shame and horror, and has the reader despairing for the future of the children involved, ever hoping that things will get better. A very moving tale of abuse and drug dependancy. Highly recommended.
Matt Posner
This is the second book I have read recently about the upsetting sexual underbelly of the UK -- the other was a memoir by Simon Palmer, Losing the Hate -- and this one is a powerful and disturbing realistic fiction, full of suspense, with moments of emotional horror and deep pity. Prepare to be shocked and moved and to root for characters who deserve better than they get!
Steve Snelson
I absolutely loved this book. It's not a pretty read nor can you sympathise with any of the characters but it's something you just can't put down. Well I couldn't anyway. I'd never understood how young kids could just disappear until I read Hamelin's Child - now I do, so thank you Debbie Bennett.
Rosie
Nov 23, 2014 Rosie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
This is not a romance. It's a gripping, gritty tale that caught me up in it right from the start. I couldn't read it fast enough. It's very rare that I step out of reading m/m books....but I am very tempted to read the sequels to this story - and that tells it's own story.
Karena Marie
Unique and exciting plot! Extremely well written. This book grabs on to you from the first page and does not let go! I definitely recommend this book to my friends!
Andy Weston
First book I've read on the iPad - hardly enjoyable as the subject matter is so difficult, but extremely well- written.
Rissa (an M/M kinda Girl!!)
Jul 30, 2014 Rissa (an M/M kinda Girl!!) marked it as smut-mountain-tbr
Shelves: own
*Graphic/Rape shelf*
Audrey Kaufman
Audrey Kaufman marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Mary Jo
Mary Jo marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Nazmul Shuvo
Nazmul Shuvo marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014