Big Susan

Big Susan

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Mr. and Mrs. Doll and their six children, Nurse and the old Cook all lived in a house which had no front and belong to Susan. Susan was just an ordinary-sized little girl with taffy colored pigtails. But to the dolls she was a very Big, very Wonderful, very Important Person.

There was one short night in every year when they needed no help from Susan - that Wonderful Night

Hardcover
Published September 1st 2002 by Purple House Press (first published 1947)

To ask other readers questions about Big Susan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big Susan

Among the Dolls by William SleatorTime Windows by Kathryn ReissThe Dollhouse Murders by Betty Ren WrightDollhouse of the Dead by Kathryn ReissSweet Miss Honeywell's Revenge by Kathryn Reiss
Dollhouse Living
8th out of 34 books — 4 voters
The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery WilliamsWinnie-the-Pooh by A.A. MilneCorduroy by Don FreemanThe Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamilloThe Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks
Children's Literature - Sentient Toys
34th out of 96 books — 30 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
Dec 31, 2012 Kathryn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kathryn by: Chandra--thank you!
4.5 STARS

A charming story about a doll family presided over by Big Susan, the little girl who controls their every move and word (but not their independent thoughts) for 364 days of the year. The dolls love Big Susan and know she takes good care of them. Yet, on one magical night (Christmas Eve), the dolls are able to move and talk all on their own! This Christmas, however, Big Susan is nowhere to be found and the dolls awaken to a very dilapidated and non-Christmasy home. What will they do for...more
Cheryl in CC NV
Huh. I loved making things for my dolls through my adolescence, and I still enjoy some doll and dollhouse stories. But this one verged on the twee, and I just don't see the appeal for re-reads.

Ok, it's cute they don't know what jacks are, and they clean their house for Big Susan, and name the new baby Little Susan. And I suppose I could forgive them for having servants, though the author's treatment of said Nurse and Cook is rather offensive. But I don't feel any depth, complexity, or resonance...more
Myles
This was a spur-of-the-moment read to get myself in the mood for the Christmas season. I'd never read it before, but it was a childhood favorite of my boyfriend's so I curious. And I felt I owed it to him after I laughed at the title.

The name 'Big Susan' is actually a reference to the size difference between the girl and her family of dolls, they mean no offense. This is a simple, nice story about how the doll family, so grateful to Susan for all she does for them, want to give her a gift for Ch...more
Donna
Enchanting!

One of the perks of being a teacher's kid is that your parents go out and buy you books all the time. And if you live in a household that celebrates Christmas, which we do, that can add up to a lot of Christmas books! Now the youngest is in her teens, and there are so many gorgeous picture books, primarily for decoration now, of course. So we pull out two good-sized boxes, and flip through them. Which ones stay in the box, and which are treasured enough to show and perhaps when the ad...more
Emily
We ordered this book from Chinaberry.com for Micah's present from Matt and me for Christmas. It's a thin, hardcover chapter book and it's definitely now one of my girls' all-time favorites.

Apparently, Elizabeth Orton Jones wrote this book after she purchased a secondhand dollhouse for her own girls fifty or sixty years ago (or more, as the dolls are made of celluloid), and the tone of the story is so sweet and innocent, without being cloy, that in my book, it's one of those well-kept secret cla...more
Kathy
This book is sweet. I'm giving is a high rating because my daughter LOVES it. It was recommended to me by a friend, and my gaughter has read it (or I've read it to her) about a zillion times in the past three days -- she has enjoyed it so much. Great read-aloud for about six and up, and for those with readers at the 3rd grade level, they can probably read this too.
Amy
I wish I would have read this to B. when she was 4 or 5. It would have been totally up her alley then as nothing really happens and it is all very sweet. Now, she wants more. Yay for that - but boo that I waited. It has been on my to-read list that long!
Leah
I checked this book out so many times in first & second grade that my mom tried to buy it from the library!They said no :( BUT my aunt was able to get me a copy...one of the BEST Christmas presents EVER, and I still cherish this book today!!!!
Jenn
Jul 23, 2010 Jenn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jenn by: Lori Kuder
Another perfect read aloud with Lucy. The pictures, short chapters, and easy to follow simple story were great for me and my 4 year old during this first summer of reading chapter books together. Thank you Lori!
Geneva Miller
I cannot recall the first time I read this book--though I know it was read aloud to me by my grandmother. It's now a family holiday favorite. Jones' wry sense of humor makes the story a fun read for all ages.
Susan
I bought this for my granddaughters
but can't part with it. It is
an old old book about a girl named
Susan (no coincidence) and her dollhouse.
The dialogue is hysterical and
the pictures, charming.
Chris
In this story, the dolls in Big Susan's dollhouse can speak only on Christmas. It is a charming little tale that children will enjoy reading each Christmas.
Lisa
What a nice, classic book. Christmas themed, although we read it after the holiday. It gives story and characters but gives a child room to imagine, too.
Dana
Sweet story to share at Christmastime with a little imaginative doll lover. Touching scenes throughout.
Donna Gardner Liljegren
I borrowed this from a friend. It was originall published in 1947. What a charming book!
Hilarie
This was a very cute story that I read to my children over several nights. They were enchanted.
Elfiegirl
Good writing and realistic characters, but I don't love the plot line very much.
Hannah
It's a good Christmas story, and it's really like the dolls come to life.
Cindi
Jan 06, 2009 Cindi marked it as to-read
Melcat

short chapter book for 4-8 year old girl
Marcia
You know that dolls come alive at Christmas right?
Anjolette
This was one of my favorite books as a kid.
Linden
Love the illustrations.
Susan Dyer
Susan Dyer is currently reading it
Aug 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Twig Little Red Riding Hood Little Red Riding Hood : A Little Golden Book Maminka's Children Small Rain