Start by marking “Screenplay by Disney: Tips and Techniques to Bring Magic to Your Moviemaking” as Want to Read:
Screenplay by Disney: Tips and Techniques to Bring Magic to Your Moviemaking

Screenplay by Disney: Tips and Techniques to Bring Magic to Your Moviemaking

Disney's imaginative storytellers offer guidance and techniques to help aspiring screenwriters add Disney magic to their movie ideas. From Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs to Bambi, from The Little Mermaid to The Lion King, the animated films created by The Walt Disney Company are renowned for stories that amuse, astound, and inspire the viewer. Now, for the first time, the ...more
Published July 12th 2004 by Disney Editions

To ask other readers questions about Screenplay by Disney, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Screenplay by Disney

Kevin Richey
Jan 16, 2013 Kevin Richey rated it liked it
Picked this up from the library on a whim. It was a fun quick read. I don't have any intention of writing screenplays, (and if I were, this is not the best book for it), but I am a big Disney fan and was curious to see if there was any sort of "Disney method." Well, the introduction flat-out says there isn't. Surrell says something like, "If you're expecting a Disney formula, it doesn't exist." BUT the book does cover a lot of insider rules and terminology, which I found really interesting, and ...more
Matthew
Nov 25, 2013 Matthew rated it liked it
Obviously, "The Lion King", "The Little Mermaid", and "Beauty and the Beast" are incredible movies, while "Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs", "Bambi", and "Pinocchio" are classics, and should be held up as stories/movies we can learn so much from, and admittedly, I did appreciate a lot of the insight that was shared about those and other movies like them.

At the same time, I didn't understand why you would talk so much about movies like "Brother Bear" and "Emperor's New Groove". I always thought
Jen
Jul 14, 2012 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
I'm a huge Disney fan (quotes from Walt throughout!), so I enjoyed learning about the story development process they used/use at the feature animation studio. However, even though there were nuggets of wisdom, inspiration, and encouragement, I would have liked a little more examples of story structure as it applies to each of the films mentioned in the book. All in all, it was a good and easy read, just less instruction than I had hoped.
Bryan
Feb 15, 2007 Bryan rated it liked it
Shelves: storytelling
Would've been much better if it included a section (sections?) of close, detailed story/screenplay analysis: why something worked, why something didn't work, approaches and subplots which various writers tried and abandoned, etc. It's an official Disney product, so it's heavy on praise and light on criticism.
Alexis Johnson
Sep 08, 2015 Alexis Johnson rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book for screenwriters and storytellers of any kind. Timeless inspiration from Disney!
Lori Grant
Mar 29, 2013 Lori Grant rated it really liked it
A should-read company profile for knowledge workers, managers, directors, C-levels, and entrepreneurs.
Becky
Mar 25, 2011 Becky rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing, theater
a little light and repetitive but ultimately inspirational.
Annamarie
Jul 25, 2011 Annamarie rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A very helpful book if you are interested in learning a bit about story development.
Maddie
Feb 19, 2016 Maddie rated it it was ok
A very basic and sometimes reductive look at Disney storytelling. Still informative but not great.
Ananth Vijaykumar
Ananth Vijaykumar rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2013
Katze_the_mighty
Katze_the_mighty rated it did not like it
Jul 21, 2007
Danielle
Danielle rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2013
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2008
Andrew Quirk
Andrew Quirk rated it it was ok
Sep 02, 2012
James
James rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2012
Vivek
Vivek rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2009
Abby
Abby rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2009
Vinicius Diniz rosa
Vinicius Diniz rosa rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2017
Shelley
Shelley rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2011
Sam Smith
Sam Smith rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2015
Elle
Elle rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2012
Dario
Dario rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2012
Steve Dishman
Steve Dishman rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
Scott Gagnon
Scott Gagnon rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2012
Mariya Kalachova
Mariya Kalachova rated it it was ok
Jan 11, 2014
Bri  Ahearn
Bri Ahearn rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2010
Iain
Iain rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2007
Cameron Johnson
Cameron Johnson rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2015
Yuri Vieitas
Yuri Vieitas rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2016