Start by marking “The Hidden Jewel” as Want to Read:
The Hidden Jewel

The Hidden Jewel (Trailblazer Books (Chronological))

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  198 ratings  ·  10 reviews
From the moment he and his mother arrived from England, everything about India shouted adventure to fourteen-year-old John Knight. Crowds of people swarmed in the streets, temple elephants paraded about, monkeys scolded at passers-by--this was easily the most exciting place John had ever been. If only his father, a British government official sent to south India in 1909, w ...more
Published March 1st 1992 by Bethany House (first published February 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Hidden Jewel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hidden Jewel

Hannah Rodes
this book I'm not sure if I should review cause I read it right after like my favorite series and compared it to the series. but I do like the book
Ashley
This was an awesome book
Christine
This is a fun series for the kids to read. They're short and provide some interesting information about some historical figures although it's a fictional story line. I think they're good read alouds if you're looking for something quick, interesting, and filled with situations to talk about faith and decision making. We'll continue with the series. I also like that each book in the series stands alone. No worries about having to read them in order.
Heather Hartman
I liked this biography, because it really focused on an event on Amy Carmichael's life and those that surrounded her. So it was not like reading the same stuff I had already read. It was an more of an in depth account of a certain period. I read it for a girls book club I am doing with my oldest and enjoyed the vivid picture it painted of India and her culture.
h
Jun 05, 2009 h added it
Shelves: kidslit
Good thing whitey shows up to protect Hindu girls from child marriage, thank God for the British, pip pip, let's Save the Pagans.

The most glaring error was the Indian couple who wear white at their wedding, the color for mourning.

Stereotypical portrayals, although the writing style isn't bad.
Cassie
Fun to read to the girls. The children enjoyed learning about Amy Carmichael and the culture of India. This was a well written story, and we look forward to reading other Trailblazer books.
Reader
An english boy helps Amy Carmichael rescue an indian girl named Jewel from being forced to become a child bride(a child forced to mary an adult).
Jones Family
It made me want to go to India and do what Amy Carmichael was doing . It was great!
John Yelverton
A decent historical fiction book about Amy Carmichael and her missionary work.
Leo
Dec 01, 2008 Leo rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anybody!!!!
This book is so awesome!
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Valerie Gazzard
Valerie Gazzard marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Jessie Cumpson
Jessie Cumpson marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Julie
Julie added it
Mar 08, 2015
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
James Kirkpatrick
James Kirkpatrick marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Pam Mcgee
Pam Mcgee marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Mandie and the Mysterious Bells (Mandie Books, 10)
  • The Disappearing Stranger (Adventures of the Northwoods #1)
  • Amy Carmichael: Rescuer of Precious Gems
  • Escape with the Dream Maker (Seven Sleepers, #9)
  • The Deadly Curse of Toco-Rey (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #6)
Dave and Neta Jackson are a full-time husband/wife writing team who have authored and co-authored many books on marriage and family, the church, relationships, and other subjects. Their books for children include the TRAILBLAZER series and Hero Tales, volumes I,II, III, and IV. The Jacksons make their home in Evanston, Illinois.
More about Dave Jackson...

Trailblazer Books (Chronological) (1 - 10 of 40 books)
  • Spy for the Night Riders
  • The Chimney Sweep's Ransom
  • The Warrior's Challenge: David Zeisberger
  • The Runaway's Revenge: John Newton
  • Abandoned on the Wild Frontier
Imprisoned in the Golden City Harry Bentley's Second Chance Lucy Come Home (A Yada Yada Journey of Hope) Kidnapped by River Rats Hero Tales