The Hidden Jewel: Amy Carmichael (Trailblazer Books #4)

The Hidden Jewel: Amy Carmichael (Trailblazer Books (Chronological))

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  159 ratings  ·  8 reviews
From the moment he and his mother arrived from England, everything about India shouted adventure to fourteen-year-old John Knight. Crowds of people swarmed in the streets, temple elephants paraded about, monkeys scolded at passers-by--this was easily the most exciting place John had ever been. If only his father, a British government official sent to south India in 1909, w...more
Published March 1st 1992 by Bethany House (first published February 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Hidden Jewel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hidden Jewel

Christine
This is a fun series for the kids to read. They're short and provide some interesting information about some historical figures although it's a fictional story line. I think they're good read alouds if you're looking for something quick, interesting, and filled with situations to talk about faith and decision making. We'll continue with the series. I also like that each book in the series stands alone. No worries about having to read them in order.
Heather Hartman
I liked this biography, because it really focused on an event on Amy Carmichael's life and those that surrounded her. So it was not like reading the same stuff I had already read. It was an more of an in depth account of a certain period. I read it for a girls book club I am doing with my oldest and enjoyed the vivid picture it painted of India and her culture.
h
Jun 05, 2009 h added it
Shelves: kidslit
Good thing whitey shows up to protect Hindu girls from child marriage, thank God for the British, pip pip, let's Save the Pagans.

The most glaring error was the Indian couple who wear white at their wedding, the color for mourning.

Stereotypical portrayals, although the writing style isn't bad.
Cassie
Fun to read to the girls. The children enjoyed learning about Amy Carmichael and the culture of India. This was a well written story, and we look forward to reading other Trailblazer books.
Reader
An english boy helps Amy Carmichael rescue an indian girl named Jewel from being forced to become a child bride(a child forced to mary an adult).
Jones Family
It made me want to go to India and do what Amy Carmichael was doing . It was great!
John Yelverton
A decent historical fiction book about Amy Carmichael and her missionary work.
Leo
Dec 01, 2008 Leo rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anybody!!!!
This book is so awesome!
Tesh
Tesh added it
Aug 09, 2014
Elizabeth Callahan
Elizabeth Callahan marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Laura Williams
Laura Williams marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
J K
J K marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Elisha
Elisha marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
May 24, 2014
Leah
Leah added it
May 06, 2014
Dave and Neta Jackson are a full-time husband/wife writing team who have authored and co-authored many books on marriage and family, the church, relationships, and other subjects. Their books for children include the TRAILBLAZER series and Hero Tales, volumes I,II, III, and IV. The Jacksons make their home in Evanston, Illinois.
More about Dave Jackson...
Imprisoned in the Golden City Harry Bentley's Second Chance Lucy Come Home (A Yada Yada Journey of Hope) Kidnapped by River Rats Spy for the Night Riders