Our Haggadah: Uniting Traditions for Interfaith Families

Our Haggadah: Uniting Traditions for Interfaith Families

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  10 reviews

New York Times bestselling authors and journalists Cokie and Steve Roberts share their Passover traditions in this engaging version of the Haggadah for couples and families of mixed faiths.

When they met more than forty years ago, Cokie and Steve Roberts found common ground in their shared values, despite their different religious beliefs. Choosing to honor both of their fa...more
Published March 8th 2011 by HarperCollins e-books (first published February 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Our Haggadah, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Haggadah

Laurie
I absolutely loved this book from start to finish. I ordered four of them and am looking forward to using them this year for our Passover Seder. My husband and I are both Jewish, but we have had similar frustrations with the Haggadahs we have being too long and too boring.

I have always loved Cokie Roberts on the radio and so it is no surprise that her sense of humor and intelligence shine through in this book. We always try to invite people who are not of the Jewish faith to our Passover celebr...more
Pam
Excellent little book that explains what a seder is and how to have one -- very informative for a Christian reader.
Dennis Fischman
Two groups of people should read this book: people who don't know very much about the Passover Seder and people who don't know very much about interfaith marriages. Those in the first group will get a very reasonable explanation of what it's all about and how to plan a Seder (along with the Robertses cut-and-paste Haggadah, an art form with a long Jewish history).

Those in the second group can read the introductions to get a sense of how a secular Jew and a religious Catholic can make a meaningfu...more
Jennifer Willis
I had planned to use "Our Haggadah" at my Passover table this year. Instead, we ended up at multi-family gathering for the first seder, and on the second night we were so wiped out from the previous evening that our pre-dinner seder lasted all of seven minutes. ;)

This was, however, an enlightening read, and I appreciate the effort that went into this interfaith haggadah. This is more than an order of service for the Passover seder; it's also an exploration of the importance, challenges and beaut...more
Robin
2 stars isn't really fair. Two and a half, maybe?

The anecdotes about the Roberts' life together are sweet and worth reading.

The haggadah is just a haggadah, with nothing unique or especially enlightening or fun about it. The recipes are mostly links to websites. The Hebrew has been printed in a font so tiny I doubt a native Israeli could read it aloud by seder candlelight.

I love Cokie Roberts on the radio, but I'm glad I read this one as a library book. I won't be adding it to my haggadah coll...more
Mindy
I find reading books authored by Cokie Roberts and Steve Roberts to be very insightful. Each has a successful career in journalism and so writes extraordinarily well even when writing about such personal family life. The perspectives they give in this book enhances your insight in how their marriage and family can thrive with the presence of traditional religious ritual and deep personal faith. I can easily recommend this book though I wish it were in paperback or with a spiral binder for ease a...more
Njeri
My husband and I are not Jewish but this book made me want to host a Seder. Passover is a very detailed celebration and I don't think I would do it justice so now I'll just be hoping to someday get invited to one :) The underlying message of inclusion and the celebration of freedom is one many people can relate to so non-Jewish readers might still find it interesting.
David
In preparation for our 2012 seder I decided to look at seders other people have experienced. This one, performed by Steve and Cokie Roberts for many years, is a nice way to honor the traditions, keep things moving and be inclusive.
Ashley
I really loved this book. It allowed me to make a lot of connections between Christianity and Judaism. My husband and I will definitely be using this information to start making our own Passover traditions.
Katie M.
May 08, 2012 Katie M. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Katie M. by: Graham, sort of
Shelves: 2012, jews
Nothing new here, but charming all the same.
Deb
Deb marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Chrystal Westbrook
Chrystal Westbrook marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Kate H
Kate H added it
Mar 17, 2014
Jeramiah Giehl
Jeramiah Giehl marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2014
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2013
Kathleen Ulrich
Kathleen Ulrich marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2013
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2013
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2013
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Cokie Roberts is an American journalist and author. She is the "Contributing Senior News Analyst" for National Public Radio as well as regular roundtable analyst for the current This Week with George Stephanopoulos.
More about Cokie Roberts...
Founding Mothers: The Women Who Raised Our Nation Ladies of Liberty: The Women Who Shaped Our Nation We Are Our Mothers' Daughters From This Day Forward Founding Mothers: Remembering the Ladies