Start by marking “The Cold Blue Blood (Berger and Mitry, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Cold Blue Blood (Berger and Mitry, #1)

The Cold Blue Blood (Berger and Mitry #1)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  403 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Mitch Berger, a top film critic with a major New York newspaper at a surprisingly young age, has become almost a recluse since his wife died one year ago. He spends his time secluded in his apartment or in the dark recesses of a screening room. Although he continues to dazzle moviegoers and the film elite with his criticisms, his editor and good friend is alarmed about him ...more
Published October 13th 2002 by Minotaur Books (first published October 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Cold Blue Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cold Blue Blood

Samira
May 31, 2007 Samira rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mystery lovers, people from Woodbridge, CT or across the Q bridge
Shelves: mystery
This is a standard fair mystery with a couple of things that add to its interest: first it is realtively well written, which is always nice. Second, there is an interrecial romance, which adds interest. I also appreciate all of the film references, though I don't actually get most of them. Most importantly, in this, the first book of the series, the female lead lives in Woodbridge, CT. Specific roads are mentioned. Including one a street away from where I grew up. Sure, there are inaccuracies--t ...more
Susan
It is difficult to create interesting characters, and the author manages to conjure up two that are complete opposites in the opening of this series. Mitch Berger, a film critic with a major New York newspaper has isolated himself since his wife died a year before. As a scheme to pull him out of his grief, his editor gives him an assignment to do a story on Connecticut's Gold Coast. Mitch agrees because it gives him a great opportunity for working on his new book about Westerns. Lieutenant Desir ...more
Ivonne Rovira
David Handler triumphed with his Stewart "Hoagy" Hoag mystery series, each novel more excellent than the one before. Handler ended that series 1997, leaving his fans bereft -- until the publication of The Cold Blue Blood, the beginning of a new series featuring Mitch Berger, "the lead film critic of the most prestigious -- and therefore the lowest paying -- of the three New York City daily newspapers," and Connecticut State Police lieutenant Desiree Mitry.

Berger, a widower for one year, is havin
Grey853
Gbug
Jan 23, 2015 Gbug rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own, series
This is the first book in a series of mysteries. I received this book along with the latest book in the series from a friend for Christmas. Mitch Berger widowed, Jewish New York film critic and Connecticut state cop lieutenant Desiree Mitry, African American graduate of West Point are the sleuths.

Mitch rents a summer vacation home on an exclusive island inhabited by blue bloods of New England. A series of murders take place. Mitch willingly and Des unwillingly become partners in solving the cri
Celia
I really enjoyed this mystery. I like both main characters and I was happily clueless until the very end about the killer. Can't wait to read more.
Claire Bignell
Loved that you didn't know who did until the end. Just like Agatha Christie - always a twist!
Divisionred
I love this series. Des and Mitch are 2 of my favorite characters.
Elizabeth
fun light mystery
Lynn
The Cold Blue Blood is the 1st book in the Berger and Mitry series. Mitch Berger is a New York City film critic. After the death of his wife, he has become a recluse. He is given an assignment to go to a small town in Connecticut. Impulsively he rents a carriage house while there on Big Sister Island. His life totally turns around from this decision.

The book starts out fast with a murder in the prologue. There are more to follow. There are also mysteries from the past. The residents of Big Siste
★ Codie Papageorgiou ★
4 out of 5 Stars
Mitch is a widower with an obsession with sweet foods and old films, but being a movie critic what else is he supposed to do (?). Knowing Mitch is battling depression Lacy, his boss, sends him to an historic rich version of Pleasantville, or is it more Hot Fuzz? While he’s in Dorset he meets Des, a black female lieutenant in an all-white male monopoly service with a love for art, after a couple of murders in the little quiet island Big Sister. As the victims list grows
Mary Ellen
My goal is to read the entire series of the Berger and Mitry books. Since I live in the town of Old Lyme Connecticut and David Handler lives just around the corner it makes reading his books even better. His fictional town of Dorsett is most definitely Old Lyme. The Cold Blue Blood was such a great mystery and a very enjoyable read. His newest in this series will be available soon. Number 10 is The Cold Black Asphalt Tomb. Thank you David Handler.
Chi Dubinski
Film critic Mitch Berger is a mess after the death of his wife. His editor assigns him a travel piece, on a wealthy Connecticut enclave called Dorset. Mitch rents a neglected carriage house and gets permission to plant a garden. But when his spade uncovers the body of his landlady/s husband, he finds himself in the middle of a murder investigation.
All the elements of a top notch mystery are here and Mitch and state trooper Des Mitry are characters that the reader can happily spend hours with. Fi
Deb
"A great introduction to a charming series. I love the contrast between the schlubby New York film critic and the statuesque black state trooper. Not to mention the trooper's best friend/neighbor, who can provide her additional insights into the mind of a Jewish man. Their chemistry was done well.[return][return]The story was also enjoyable - not too obvious, many candidates for the murderer(s), interesting web of relationships between all the characters. I certainly didn't see the end coming, b ...more
Vladeck Kurasov
Highly enjoyable mystery. Grieving over the death of his wife, Mitch Berger,teddy-bear NY film reviewer, moves to the New England countryside to write a book on westerns. There he encounters blue bloods, rents a fantasy carriage house complete with roaring fireplace and 270-degree ocean views and solves a local murder with the help of Lieutenant Desiree Mitry, gorgeous, intelligent lady cop of color.

Daniel Handler's fast-paced, well written story has outstanding characters - bursting with egali
Kathleen
Beginning of a series by David Handler (Runaway Man). Our Library has this new offering, but none of his older stuff. I thought I'd try them through I.L. L. then recommend picking up these beginnings if the books pass muster.
So far, very enjoyable.
Cindy
Mitch Berger is a film critic who's having trouble dealing with the death of his wife. Desiree Mitry is a Black homicide detective in Connecticut who's having trouble dealing with prejudice. They meet over a body Mitch digs up when trying to plant a vegetable garden. The suspects are all the wealthy residents of a private island and everyone there is hiding something.

I enjoyed this one. It wasn't quite a tidy ending, but it did leave room for the series to continue, and I'm looking forward to r
Robert Palmer
This is the first book in a mystery series called "a Berger & Mitry mystery". Mitch Berger,New York film critic moves to Dorset,Connecticut after his girlfriend has died.
In the next chapter we meet Des Mitry a major crimes detective.
Dorset is somewhat like Norman Rockwell painting but soon the bodies start pilling up( some from 30 years ago.)
In the end Des & Mitch crack the case and I presume go on to solve many more who dun it's .
Armando Garcia
I am not usually a cozy mystery fan. I like them hard-boiled to the extreme usually, and have little time for The Cat who... style mysteries, but David Handlers characters are so real, biting, damaged and interesting and the setting (the blueblood Connecticut Gold Coast) is as much a character itself that I wasnt all that bothered by the tea-and-crumpets trappings. I liked it very much even though the mystery wasnt all that troubling ...more
Lynda
I love that this series is set in Connecticut. I spent a few summers there with relatives growing up. There was even a (brief) shout out to Killingly! I also really enjoyed the narration alternating between the two main protagonists.

It was a pretty interesting mystery and I loved all the film references. All in all I look forward to the other books in the series.

(I had a better review written but alas it didn't save so this will have to do)
Amanda
Do yourself a favor and pick up this series! Can't wait to read all of them!
Kalena Harrington
This is a great book and the start of a fascinating series. The characters are so well drawn that I am sure I've met them in real life. The two main characters are such obvious outsiders in this small island society, I was immediately intrigued and curious to see how they would interact. The mystery itself was OK but I love the characters and can't wait to read the next book in this series
Lexi
Overall it was not a bad book, but there is potential. I gave this book 3 stars, since I will likely read more in the series. I found the who did it and why to be a bit improbable, which was another reason for the 3 stars. The writing was fine, and quite clever in some instances. It is possible that future books in the series will be better as the writer develops the characters.
Liz Foote treacy
David Handler lives in my hometown in Connecticut. The Berger and Mitry Mystery series is based in the same area and possibly, on many of the same people! This is a particularly fun series if you are from the Connecticut shoreline. I've found myself becoming quite attached to the two main characters as well as the fictional town of Dorset.
Chandra
The story was good. The mystery had be guessing until the end. The only think I didn't like was that the author couldn't have anyone walk into or leave a room without spending a whole pare to describe it.
Annarella
Cosa succede quanto un intellettuale new yorkese e un poliziotta in carriera s'incontrano ? Può succedere di tutto.
Diverte, personaggi con un buon spessore umano, un ritratto intrigrante di una cittadina del New England dove nulla è come sembra.

Funny, good psychological character construction. A pageturne
Barbara
This was the first book in a new series by author, David Handler. I liked Mitch, as the film critic who moved from NYC to a more recluse area, and his references to old movies. It was a fun read and keep my interest. Definitely will read the next book in the series.
Cheryl
I liked this book a lot more than I thought I would when I started. Mitch and Des are definitely characters I'll want to read about some more. The plot to this novel was somewhat implausible, but the protagonists drew me through it.
Sheila
I really enjoyed this book. I got a real sense of place. Very descriptive scenes. I would love to visit Big Sister Island. Great relationship between Mitch and Des. I will definitely continue with this series.
Didichan
good story .. i love stories with puzzles in them this was a nice "who don it" read... i enjoyed the subtle romance too ... it was a nice break from the other more romance focused books i read ..
  • Her Russian Surrender (50 Loving States #10)
  • Burn
  • Something Real
  • No Ordinary Love
  • Again
  • Ivy's Twisted Vine
  • The Color of Love
  • Trolling Nights
  • Better Late Than Never (The Smith Sister's Trilogy #1)
  • Ebony Eyes
  • Simply Wicked
  • A Seal Upon Your Heart
  • Adrienne (A Bron Universe Novel #1)
  • The Burning Bush (Santeria Habitat, #2)
  • The Lord and the Scorpion
  • Wild, Wild Mess:Alanta
  • Serial Games
  • Landing in Love (Born to Fly, #1)
AKA Russell Andrews (with Peter Gethers)

David Handler, who began his career in New York as a journalist, was born and raised in Los Angeles and published two highly acclaimed novels about growing up there, Kiddo and Boss, before resorting to a life of crime fiction.

More about David Handler...

Berger and Mitry (10 books)
  • The Hot Pink Farmhouse (Berger and Mitry, #2)
  • The Bright Silver Star (Berger and Mitry, #3)
  • The Burnt Orange Sunrise (Berger and Mitry, #4)
  • The Sweet Golden Parachute (Berger and Mitry, #5)
  • The Sour Cherry Surprise (Berger and Mitry, #6)
  • The Shimmering Blond Sister (Berger and Mitry, #7)
  • The Blood Red Indian Summer (Berger and Mitry, #8)
  • The Snow White Christmas Cookie (Berger and Mitry, #9)
  • The Coal Black Asphalt Tomb (Berger and Mitry, #10)
The Hot Pink Farmhouse (Berger and Mitry, #2) The Bright Silver Star (Berger and Mitry, #3) The Burnt Orange Sunrise (Berger and Mitry, #4) The Sour Cherry Surprise (Berger and Mitry, #6) The Sweet Golden Parachute (Berger and Mitry, #5)