Start by marking “Sheba” as Want to Read:
Sheba

Sheba

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  941 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Jack Higgins's most exciting novel of World War II intrigue since his smash bestseller The Eagle Has Landed.

The lost Temple of Sheba is not just a biblical legend.

A German archaeologist has found it. The Nazis have claimed it.

And one American explorer has stumbled upon their secret--a plot that could change the course of World War II...

The year is 1939. An American archaeo
Published January 1st 1995 by Berkley (first published January 1st 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Sheba, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sheba

The Da Vinci Code by Dan BrownAngels & Demons by Dan BrownThe Lost Symbol by Dan BrownTimeline by Michael CrichtonThe Templar Legacy by Steve Berry
Treasure Hunter Thrillers
104th out of 263 books — 584 voters
Rebecca by Daphne du MaurierGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussDavid Copperfield by Charles DickensAbsalom, Absalom! by William FaulknerEthan Frome and Other Short Fiction by Edith Wharton
You Can Find My Name In The Old Testament
154th out of 160 books — 36 voters

More lists with this book...

Martin Hill
I enjoy a good WWII thriller. I grew up on Alistair MacLean gems like The Guns of Navarone and Where Eagles Dare. One of my favorite novels in this genre is Jack Higgins The Eagle Has Landed, the classic story of a Nazi attempt to kidnap British Prime Minister Winston Churchill.

In Sheba, Higgins returns to the WWII thriller in this story about a Nazi attempt to destroy Britain's life line to its eastern colonies, the Suez Canal, on the first day of the war. To do so, they use a German archeologi
John Marsh
Rickhow
This book surprised me. I really liked it. If you are a fan of an Indiana Jones type of book with adventure, nazi's, hidden treasure, etc,then you will just like this book as much as me. This was a fun quick read. Don't miss it.
Deborah
Not his best work. The narrative is lazy, and I caught at least one factual error: LaGuardia Airport was not so named until after the events in the book.
Scott Vout
Higgins is the master
Cheryl (Bored in Vernal)
Well, I'm a sucker for a novel about an archaeological dig. I subscribe to BAR and I really will have to spend a summer in the field one day. Until then, I pick up as many of these tales as possible. I'm not sure what attracts me. There's nothing too deep in this one, and it's quite formulaic. The desert sands, the strong and intelligent protagonist, the touch of romance, the quest for the long-lost temple of Sheba, they're all there. Good summer reading for around the pool.
Amy Sjoquist
Good read. Need to check out his other books.
Bob
A 1995 Higgins I came across. A Nazi plan to blow up the Suez Canal at the same time they move in to Poland. Plot foiled in Indiana Jones fashion by an American Expatriate archeologist and friends. Desert chases captured by desert Arabs, women to rescue and the lost temple and treasure of the Queen of Sheba. Non stop action for an afternoons read.
David K
Fast paced, thrilling adventure in the true style expected of this author. One of his better WW2 reads. Great plot and all round characters. Higgins is the best in this genre. Tells the story without padding it out. I'd recommend anyone looking for an adventure story to read this book.
Terry Callister
An old fashion "Boys Own" adventure story first published in 1994, but none the worse for that, if you like stories where men are men then this is for you.
Tamara
Nov 10, 2011 Tamara added it
Shelves: own
I really tried to read this book and thought it would be very interesting but in the end I could not get past page 72 and had to call it quits.
Chuck
A rather predictable story about a Nazi plan to sabotage the Suez Canal. Takes place, for the most part, in the Arabian desert.
Kay Wells
Different from the Dillan series but another good read from Higgins. Twists and turns through out the book to keep the pages turning.
Casey Kelsen
This book was a fun read.It was like an Indiana Jones movie in a lot of ways.
Haoning
quite predictable but overall good for a quick read
Troy
Not bad but could have been better.
CJ
Quick-read Indiana Jones-y style.
Jan
Good old-style Jack Higgins.
Penny
aka Seven Pillars to Hell
Don Andrews
Excellent read, a page turner
Rskjr52
Fast read, nice adventure.
Jim
Good story (plot)
Kalyani414
a quick read..
Keith Luttrell
Keith Luttrell marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Shubham Raina
Shubham Raina marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Bruce Moody
Bruce Moody marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Irene
Irene added it
Jun 28, 2015
  • Firefight
  • The Fourth Order
  • Force of Eagles (Jack Locke, #2)
  • Mercenary, (Stratton, #5)
  • Until the End (U.S. Civil War, #2)
  • The Shadows of Power
  • Eureka
  • The Last Spymaster
  • The Renegades (Michael Parson & Sophia Gold, #3)
  • Ice Reich
  • The Shark Mutiny (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #5)
  • XPD
  • Act of War (Jason Richter, #1)
  • Brandenburg
  • A Gathering of Spies
  • Combat
19706
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Jack Higgins is the pseudonym of Harry Patterson (b. 1929), the New York Times bestselling author of more than seventy thrillers, including The Eagle Has Landed and The Wolf at the Door. His books have sold more than 250 million copies worldwide.

Born in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Patterson grew up in Belfast, Northern Irelan
More about Jack Higgins...
The Eagle Has Landed (Liam Devlin, #1) Eye of the Storm (Sean Dillon, #1) Night of the Fox Thunder Point (Sean Dillon #2) On Dangerous Ground  (Sean Dillon #3)