Start by marking “Blue Blood (Debutante Dropout, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blue Blood (Debutante Dropout, #1)

Blue Blood (Debutante Dropout #1)

Mixing a dash of Dallas society, a pinch of Janet Evanovich, and murder in the land of big hair, Blue Blood is the first installment in award-winning author Susan McBride's sassy Debutante Dropout mystery series.

To the dismay of her high society mother, Cissy, Dallas heiress Andy Kendricks wants no part of the Junior League life—opting instead for a job as a website design
Mass Market Paperback, 333 pages
Published January 27th 2004 by Avon (first published January 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Blue Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Blood

Margitte
Molly O’Brien had a tough life after she chose to drop her fashion design classes at the Columbia College in Chicago where she shared a room with her best friend Andy Kendricks from Texas. They met at school when foster child Molly was admitted to a prestigious school for wealthy kids through a scholarship. An illustrious affair with a Hemmingway wanne-be convinced Molly that love could conquer all. She followed him to Paris, fell pregnant, got dropped and had to move back to Texas, where she fo ...more
Julie
Blue Blood by Susan McBride is a William Morrow publication. This book was provided to me by the publisher and Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. This book was originally published in 2004 and now available in digital format.

Andrea, "Andy" met Molly in college. Andy comes from the affluent Highland Park area in Dallas and Molly was on scholarship. The two girls forged a bond, but Molly's life became complicated when she had an affair, got pregnant and had to leave school. Now working in
Diane ~Firefly~
Feb 08, 2010 Diane ~Firefly~ rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
It was a little slow at first but then picked up. I liked Andy, but boy did she do some stupid things and is lucky she wasn't killed.

What I enjoyed:
* Malone. He was just about the perfect balance of lawyer and accomplice. Plus he seems sweet.
* Andy. She really went out on a limb for a friend she hadn't talked to in over 10 years.
* Cissy. She had some surprises for her daughter to show she wasn't as strait-laced as she had assumed.

What could have been better:
* Andy. Really she did stupid things.
Ada Mae
Sep 09, 2008 Ada Mae rated it it was amazing
i really love reading this book. its all about friendship. . It's about Andy helping her friend, Molly, whom she didn't have any contact with for many years. Then, many years have passed, (i forgot how many year. sorry.) Molly called Andy and asked her for help, because she was accused of murder. The police thinks that Molly killed her boss, Bud Hartman, in Jugs. But Andy didn't believe that Molly killed Bud, because Molly is a very nice person. When the authority was about to give up on the cas ...more
Jan
Apr 12, 2010 Jan rated it really liked it
Andy is a web designer who tries to live within her means and avoid the social complications of her priviledged family in the Park Cities, Dallas' most prestigious area. Her mother, Cissy is determined to draw her back into society. When a friend from school is implicated in a murder, Andy jumps in to help clear her.

This is the first of the Debutante Dropout Mysteries and like most cozy mysteries is character driven more than plot driven. I enjoyed the characters, particularly Cissy, who is a cl
Carol
Aug 12, 2012 Carol rated it really liked it
Loved the main character because she wants to do her own thing and not depend on her parents $$$ or reputation. But the book points out loud and clear that if it hadn't been for Andy, her mom and their lawyer looking into the murder of a club owner her friend Molly would have gone to prison because the evidence looked so convincing and she was poor and had no influence. It was a fun read!Hopefully there will be more starring Andy the debutante dropout.
Mailis Viiand
Mar 29, 2009 Mailis Viiand rated it it was amazing
It was not as funny as something Evanovich could whip up in her Plum series, but it was sufficiently witty and i appreciated the mother-daughter dynamics from the perspective of a person who has been there and done that and still faces it partly every day. Hell has no wrath like a mother whos daughter does not want to be what she has planned her to be. But all things considered I kind of thought pearl toting Cissy was quite the softy actually...
graveyardgremlin (formerly faeriemyst)
A great start to the Debutante Drop-out series. Fast moving, fun, and with a thoroughly likable protagonist in Andy. The characters that needed to be were well-developed, the plot interesting - so the mystery is easily figured out for lack of suspects, but I didn't notice any plot holes! - and overall, the book was just plain good. I'm looking forward to reading the others and am so glad that I have the next one right here. :)
Carrie
Aug 14, 2008 Carrie rated it really liked it
“I really enjoyed this mystery set in Dallas about a young woman bucking the life her mother has planned out for her. She drops everything to come to the aid of a friend who calls her from jail after being accused of killing the owner of the shady restaurant where she worked. Andy decides to to a little undercover sluthing of her own at Jugs, the infamous eatery and the fun kicks into high gear at that point. A funny and fluffy read!”
Mark Baker
Mar 18, 2014 Mark Baker rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2005
Andrea "Andy" Kndricks has lost touch with her friend from high school, but she's willing to jump in and clear this friend of killing her boss even if it means going under cover at a questionable restaurant as a waitress. The pacing was uneven, but the characters were good and the book fun.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Erika
Jul 18, 2009 Erika rated it really liked it
Great little mystery book that's an easy summer type of read. I love a book that gets you thinking, but maybe I've watched too much Law and Order. Because by the middle of the book I had a really good idea of who did it (I was right of course). Nonetheless, I enjoyed the read and can't wait to read the follow up.
sarafem
Jul 06, 2007 sarafem rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2007, girl-detectives
I'm very often drawn to chick-lit for mindless reading I can get through quickly, but very often they're entertaining at the time and quickly forgetten. Maybe it's because I have a soft spot (read: obsession) for Nancy Drew, but I absolutely loved this book! This will absolutely become one of my longterm favorites.
Jessica
Aug 25, 2016 Jessica rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who love humoristic mysteries in a high society environment
A varm and slightly humoristic series of mysteries. A lot of cliché characters and extravaganza but mixed up with weird situations and near to a smile so it doesn't get to much.
The books cam be read as one offs but are best read in order if you intend to read all of them given there are referenses in them to earlier books.

Deela
Feb 09, 2014 Deela rated it really liked it
I randomly chose this book based on a "you might like this" suggestion from Barnes & Noble. Super quick read and kept me laughing...Andy is like the Texas version of Stephanie Plum - funny and always in over her head.
Ann
Mar 28, 2010 Ann rated it liked it
Susan is a delightful person (I've met her at several author conferences) and that comes across in her books. This is a tale about a mother and daughter who love one another but have very different ideas about what's important in life. And so-o-o funny...
Kelly
Aug 16, 2008 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Extremely funny debut of a mystery series. 1st: 6/11/04; 2nd: 12/27/07.
Andie
Sep 22, 2007 Andie rated it really liked it
a fun read...a frown up Nancy Drew..and takes place in Dallas. Not a lot of books take place in Big D, since i lived there i like that I can picture the streets and places
Bianca Logiurato
Aug 15, 2012 Bianca Logiurato rated it really liked it
Cute
Dana Serrano
Mar 20, 2008 Dana Serrano rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes mysteries
Recommended to Dana by: No one
It was cute!!
Eva • All Books Considered
Nov 01, 2013 Eva • All Books Considered rated it really liked it
Excited to read more of this series!
Vicky Beltz
Feb 22, 2013 Vicky Beltz rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable read with humor and interesting characters.
Regan
Dec 06, 2013 Regan rated it it was amazing
Started this last night -- easy read, REALLY good mystery -- a true cozy.
Holly
Apr 12, 2015 Holly rated it liked it
Cute little read. The main character (Andrea) is interesting--a woman from Dallas's upper crust who just never really fit into the "debutante" mold, despite her mother's best efforts. In this book, she receives a call from her high school BFF, Molly, a "scholarship girl", who she hasn't seen for many years. Molly is now a single mom who works as a waitress at Jugs, a Hooters-like restaurant, to pay the bills to raise her son. Because of her background and current situation, Molly is most definit ...more
Jen
Aug 08, 2013 Jen rated it liked it
As with most amateur detective stories, I had to work a little at suspending my disbelief over the web-designer heroine getting involved in the search for a murderer in order to clear her long-lost friend, but once I did, I enjoyed the book overall. (And I must say that I kind of liked she was a trust fund baby who could pretty much decide what she wanted to do with her day. Gives much more credence to stopping everything to take this on.)

Mystery-wise, it wasn't bad at all. I had a sense of who
Diana
Jan 28, 2014 Diana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Susan McBride loves words, and sometimes she uses to many. i have never been a fan of authors who love to describe every detail in many ways in the same paragraph. The character of Andy Kendricks is constantly throwing herself a pity party for being forced to grow in a lap of luxury and forced into high society. Her best friend from private school, the scholarship girl is accused of murder. Andy is determined to clear her name. The character I find most interesting is Cissy, Andy's mother. Unfor ...more
Rhonda
Jan 18, 2016 Rhonda rated it liked it
Shelves: nook, 2016-read
Cute story with a lot of heart. Andy is a down to earth artist with a meddling society mother. When he best friend from high school is accused of murder, Andy immediately gets involved to help her friend. She takes Molly's child to keep him safe and goes undercover at the restaurant that Molly worked at and her boss was found murdered. There was a lot of cute humor and some eye rolling, but still fun. Andy also begins to find that her mother has more than a few surprises for her too.
D.L. Williams
Feb 19, 2014 D.L. Williams rated it liked it
Blue Blood: Good concept, believable anti-debutante character. I didn’t always agree that a real person with intelligence would get herself into some of these situations, but I chose to enjoy the book as written. I liked the mother, cissy, and the lawyer (the poor guy was just trying to help find the murderer; sometimes she treated him as an enemy, sometimes as a partner). It was a good read, with a happy ending.
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
Apr 29, 2008 Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozies, 2008
I just finished this book and really liked it! I think I like it because it is set in Dallas which is the area of Texas that I live (although not in Dallas!) that I can relate to many places they mention. I also like that she is a web designer (I do that on the side) but wish they would talk about that more than they do. I think there has been one "scene" that talked about it.

a very enjoyable cozy thus far, can't wait to see how it ends!
Mishka
Feb 19, 2015 Mishka rated it it was ok
It took me a long time to get into this one...I started it and put it aside a few times. I am not sure I would have gotten around to finishing it if I hadn't had a flight to take...once I did get into it, I enjoyed it and I think that it got better as it went along so I hope the other books in the series are even better. I like some of this author's other stuff so I hope to have a new series to work on.
K.C. Rivers
Sep 10, 2015 K.C. Rivers rated it really liked it
Susan McBride continues to be my "go-to" author for cozy mysteries and feel-good contemporary stories. I so enjoy her characters and writing, and this was no exception. Andy was a hilarious debutante dropout, and the mystery was realistic enough not to be distracting while keeping its entertainment factor. Another fun, fluffy read.
  • Killer Heels (Molly Forrester Mystery, #1)
  • Murder Melts in Your Mouth (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #7)
  • Pick Your Poison (A Yellow Rose Mystery, #1)
  • Dying in Style (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #1)
  • Dim Sum Dead (Madeline Bean, #4)
  • I Dreamed I Married Perry Mason (A Cece Caruso Mystery, #1)
  • Murder Uncorked (A Wine Lover's Mystery, #1)
  • Death by Sudoku
  • Dressed to Keel (A Darcy Cavanaugh Mystery #1)
  • The Case of the Hook-Billed Kites (Sarah Deane Mystery, #1)
  • Cookie Dough or Die (Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Dead Air (Talk Radio Mystery, #1)
  • Delicious and Suspicious (A Memphis BBQ Mystery #1)
  • Die Buying (A Mall Cop Mystery, #1)
  • Bloody Waters (Lupe Solano, #1)
  • Dying to Be Thin (A Fat City Mystery, #1)
  • Shadow Play (Helen West, #4)
  • Organize Your Corpses (A Charlotte Adams Mystery, #1)
Susan McBride is the USA Today Bestselling author of Blue Blood and five more award-winning Debutante Dropout Mysteries from HarperCollins, including The Good Girl's Guide To Murder, The Lone Star Lonely Hearts Club, Night Of The Living Deb, Too Pretty To Die, and Say Yes to the Death. Susan has a second bestselling series with HC/Avon, the River Road Mysteries, that include To Helen Back, Mad as ...more
More about Susan McBride...

Debutante Dropout (6 books)
  • The Good Girl's Guide to Murder (Debutante Dropout, #2)
  • The Lone Star Lonely Hearts Club (Debutante Dropout, #3)
  • Night of the Living Deb (Debutante Dropout, #4)
  • Too Pretty to Die (Debutante Dropout, #5)
  • Say Yes to the Death: A Debutante Dropout Mystery