The Hate
read excerpt

The Hate

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Reviews:

...I can't really get into the bones of this story without giving too much away, and I don't review with spoilers - why ruin the ride for everyone else? All I can say is Oh. My. God....Review of Manhunt (the first short story) by J. Valentino

...What I really enjoyed was the end of the story. I don't want to give it away but suffice it to say that it too is a situa...more
Published February 16th 2011

aobibliophile™
"Revenge is sweet and not fattening" - Alfred Hitchcock

Lisa Mills lost her daughter Amy to Ray Smutres, a registered sex offender. at the trial, Ray is acquitted of the crime. in a fit of rage, Lisa drives her car into Ray's home and attacks him. Ray screams attempted murder and will only drop charges on one condition - Lisa must commit herself to stay at a mental hospital. she acquiesces to the demand. then Lisa disappears without a trace. a year later, those who prey on the innocent start show...more
Jemima Valentino
The Hate from S.L Pierce is a fast paced, exceptionally well written short story about one woman's hatred and revenge following the release of her daughter's killer. It had me captivated from the very first words with a twist at the end that left me gobsmacked. I read this story in less than an hour (and I'm quite a slow reader), and even if this hadn't been a gift from the author in exchange for a fair and honest review, I would have bought it anyway. Currently at $1.14 for the Amazon Kindle US...more
Tracy Riva
The Hate and Manhunt
by S. L. Pierce
Copyright 2011 by S. L. Pierce, Smashwords ISBN 978-1-4580-4598-0 Kindle ASIN B004O6MVAS $.99

I occasionally review novellas or short stories. This review is of the short stories The Hate and Manhunt. The Hate is the short story that is for sale, Manhunt accompanies it as a free gift. Both stories are very interesting for very different reasons.

I found The Hate to be a really interesting story of the revenge all of us would like to exact if we were in the protag...more
The Digital Ink  Spot
Jan 21, 2012 The Digital Ink Spot rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ladies
The Hate is a short story accompanied by another short story called Manhunt. The Hate is a story of revenge. It's interesting to see the hunter become the hunted but it ends very quickly and jumps right into the action. I feel the story is very formulamatic. That may not be an actual word but you get what I mean, right. I've heard this story before and was not surprised or intrigued. The writing style doesn't stand out for me either. The story that comes with the The Hate is called Manhunt and I...more
Bookie | The BookChick
The Hate:
This story was gritty, edgy, and graphic. But what a story! What would you do if you lost everything and had nothing else to lose?

Lisa Mills is still grieving the loss of her husband six months prior when her daughter is sexually assaulted and murdered by a pedophile, Ray Smutres.

As often happens, the court system failed the victim, and the murderer walks out of the court scott free. Lisa is distraught and snaps inside courtroom and tries to kill ray by impaling a pen in his throat. He...more
Rich Weatherly
Have you ever experienced frustration when a failed justice system frees the guilty on technicalities and families of the victim are treated like criminals?

This gripping, fast paste short story opens as the mother of an abused and murdered child is released to once more walk the streets and repeat his pattern of crime. Lisa Mills is to determined to exact revenge on Ray Sumtres, a repeat sex offender.

Ms. Mills is committed to make Ray Sumtres' life a hell on earth. Follow her on a quest for gr...more
Jack Urquhart
Like all S.L. Pierce's novels, this one grabs, and rivets, by forcing the reader to identify with a protagonist who lives out the fantasies our darker-angels are forever urging us (usually unsuccessfully) to pursue. It's difficult to put the book down, difficult to forget it once one does. I found my own vengeful fantasies stirred into new life--not necessarily a good thing. But then, maybe that's what action thrillers of this genre are supposed to do?
Sibel Hodge
What do you do when the court system fails? For one woman it's a case of revenge and justice. When her daughter's killer gets away with murder, she's consumed with passionate hatred and starts a waiting game until she can finally bring him to justice. Her own type of justice.

This was a gripping tale of revenge. It's fast paced, well written, and had me hooked from page one. The bonus story is also a quick, thrilling read.
Jay
This book begins with an added short story, The Manhunt, with an ending you won't see coming.

The Hate will keep your interest from beginning to end. The story of how anyone would feel if a predator took away their child. The author did a great job of developing a character you can identify with. You won't be disappointed with this book. I enjoyed it so much, that I've just purchased S.L Pierce's next book, Secrets.

Flavio
Jul 14, 2013 Flavio rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: fabs
Good book! I don't use to read short stories, but this one is nice. Th 1st, story, The Hate, is a story about revenge. The 2nd. one called Manhunt is very interesting. In both of them the characters are well developed. The excerpts of The Secret, and The Devil's Game are very enough to have a good idea about them.
S.j. Ford
The hate is a riveting little thriller. i enjoyed it from start to finish. It's the perfect revenge scenario written with SL's consummate skill. Like all good thrillers it grabs you in the first sentence and doesn't let go. Do yourself a favor - read it.
B.P. Crouse
I enjoyed the second story more than the first. Manhunt seemed to demonstrate greater creativity, moved quicker for me, and had better development of characters.
Measie
NICE...THE FIRST STORY WAS GREAT...REVENGE CAN BE AN AWESOME CURE...
THE SECOND STORY WAS GREAT AS WELL AND THE ENDING WAS SOOO UNEXPECTED AND WRONG...!
Jessica
Twisted mentality. Great and fast read on revenge.
CorLostForWords
Review forthcoming.
Joe Peterson
Joe Peterson marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Cjmcd5662
Cjmcd5662 marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
sherri haynes mccoy
sherri haynes mccoy marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Crista
Crista marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Dory
Dory marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Christy Parker
Christy Parker marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
B. Practical
B. Practical marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014