Start by marking “'Twas The Night Before Thanksgiving (Bookshelf)” as Want to Read:
'Twas The Night Before Thanksgiving (Bookshelf)

'Twas The Night Before Thanksgiving (Bookshelf)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  1,439 ratings  ·  155 reviews
Let the Scholastic Bookshelf be your guide through the whole range of your child's experience--laugh with them, learn with them, read with them! Twelve classic, best-selling titles are available now.

Category: Holiday
Published October 1st 2004 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about 'Twas The Night Before Thanksgiving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 'Twas The Night Before Thanksgiving

'Twas The Night Before Thanksgiving by Dav PilkeyI Am the Turkey by Michele Sobel SpirnThe Know-Nothings Talk Turkey by Michele Sobel SpirnA Turkey for Thanksgiving by Eve BuntingOne Is a Feast for Mouse by Judy Cox
Best Children's Thanksgiving Books
1st out of 115 books — 102 voters
Dart and the Squirrels by Nicole IzmaylovDon't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsClick, Clack, Moo by Doreen CroninElias Zapple's Rhymes from the Cabbage Patch by Elias ZappleKnuffle Bunny by Mo Willems
Funny Books for Kids
50th out of 336 books — 331 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Vegan
Aug 06, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: vegan and vegetarian children for Thanksgiving time reading; children ages 3-8
Dav Pilkey, of Captain Underpants fame, has written this story poem so that it reads like and reminds readers of Clement Clarke Moore's The Night Before Christmas, This is one of his early books, his third book published.

This is a funny and heartfelt story of 8 children saving 8 turkeys, all ending up guests at their family’s apparently vegan Thanksgiving dinners. I appreciated that the kids were a multicultural bunch.

The poem has some hiccups but it’s still fun and enjoyable to read aloud.

The
Magpie67
A very cute story using the Christmas classic story.

"'Twas the day before Thanksgiving and all through the trees, the fall leaves were spinning aloft in the breeze. Eight children had boarded their school bus with grins in hopes that a field trip soon would begin. They sang as they rode through autumn terrains, while visions of drumsticks danced in their brains. O'er rivers, through woods, with winding and weaves, their school bus sailed on through the new-fallen leaves. When out on the road th
A fun, light-hearted Thanksgiving book most kids will love, though beware it might make some refuse the main course on Thanksgiving Day (but a great book for vegans!).

It obviously mimics the classic "Night Before Christmas" poem by Clement Moore, about a field trip to a farm where the students bond with the turkeys there, then upon realize they are intended for the dinner table, rescue them by smuggling them under their clothes. Very cute & fun to read aloud. My co-worker read it for our Tha
Alex Whatton
Patti
…And my second favorite Thanksgiving story for little kids: “’Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving” by Dav Pilkey.

A class field trip to the turkey farm turns out to be more than just visit. Love happens between kids and turkeys, and THEN it becomes a sneaky rescue…

Based on everybody’s favorite, Clement Moore’s “Night Before Christmas”, the reading cadence is easy and fun. I guarantee smiles and laughs for adult readers when you get to the turkey names! (Kids won’t get it, but YOU will!) And the il
Kim
The lovely and talented Mrs. Alberts read this out loud to our fourth graders (and me!). Super cute.
Kathleen
Oct 16, 2013 Kathleen added it
Shelves: holidays
This fiction story is about a group of children who go on a field trip to a turkey farm. They meet a farmer by the name of Mack Nuggett and the turkeys too (ex. Ollie, Stanley, Larry, Moe, Wally, Beaver, Shemp, and Groucho.) Later on, the children see the farmer has an ax and they ask him what it's for. When the farmer told them, they children got worried. The teacher and Farmer Mack Nuggett left to get some water from a well to calm the children down. The children than wonder about the turkeys ...more
Peacegal
’Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving is all kinds of awesome, and every humane household should get a copy for their holiday favorites.

The story-poem is based up that universal chestnut, ’Twas the Night Before Christmas. However, instead of Santa Claus and reindeer this story focuses upon a school bus full of children and their pre-Thanksgiving field trip to visit Farmer Mack Nugget (uh-oh) and his flock of turkeys (double uh-oh). When the farmer announces his plan for the birds come Thanksgiving
Dolly
Dec 01, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a humorous tale about Thanksgiving, following the rhythm of the classic poem The Night Before Christmas by Clement Clarke Moore. The narrative has a bit of an animal rights theme, with the children being aghast that the turkeys at the farm were going to be killed and eaten.

The narrative is entertaining to read aloud and the illustrations are cartoonish and colorful. I had no idea that Dav Pilkey had written a book like this, but our youngest said that her teachers had read it to her sev
Meg McGregor
This is a great book for teachers as well as parents to read around Thanksgiving!

In this wonderful version of The Night Before Christmas, girls and boys go out to the farm, of Farmer McNugget, on a field trip. All is going wonderfully until they learn that the farmer is going to kill the turkeys after they leave.

The children throw fits (like only children can) and distract the Farmer and their Teacher long enough to rescue the turkeys!
Maryann
This is such a fun look at Thanksgiving through the eyes of children. Great for vegans, I still think it is fun for all kids. I love the art work in the book. The kids look so cute getting back on the bus with turkeys stuffed under their coats. The one page of the evil farmer is a little disconcerting, but my kids and grand-kids have never minded or said anything about it.I have been reading it to them for years!
LINDA
Nov 03, 2007 LINDA rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults reading to Children & Children
Before every holiday I peruse the holiday children's book selection and pick one or two out to read to my cousin's kids. I found this book and I fell in love with the colorful images that perfectly flow across the pages, to accompany the creatively written text that marches along to the same rythm as the original 'twas the night before christmas'! Short story even shorter- Kids take a field trip in a school bus to visit a turkey farm on Thanksgiving Eve. After befriending the turkeys the Childre ...more
Stacey
As a vegetarian family, this is our favorite Thanksgiving Day book. It portrays, in rhyming verse and colorful artistry, the moment when a group of children make the connection between the drumstick on their plate and the fluffy playful animals they meet on the farm. They respond with upset and a plan to rescue the birds.

Stacy Turco
This is a cute twist on Twas' the night before christmas. The Children in the story are cute and funny trying to steal the turkeys from the far. Dav Pilkey did a great job making the twist and making it fun for the children and keeping their attention on what the children are doing while the farmer and teacher arent looking.
Kayleena Nielson
At first I thought this was boring, but the ending was adorable! I absolutely loved it! It shows that there are always cute things and moments in life. Sometimes it is hard to find out sad things, but then it shows you can try to influence the world in your own way. I love books that bring a smile to my face.
Ashley Lewis
This would be very fun to read during Thanksgiving. It is very funny! I was wondering what was going to happen when the kids in the book were going to a turkey farm.. The book definitely let's you know what will happen to the turkeys! It' might be a little too much for some kids, but it does have a happy ending.
Ramanda Flannery
This cute little story is a twist to the classic Twas The Night Before Christmas. It is about eight school kids that go on a field trip and their bus breaks down near a farm. The kids go to the farm and the man there tells them that the turkeys are going to be dinner for Thanksgiving. One of the little girls gets so upset that the teacher and the farmer go to get her a drink of water. When they get back all the kids are calm and the turkeys are gone. The students get back on the bus with big bel ...more
Karissa Weekes
This is such a cute book! I love the pictures and how the children loved the turkeys so much they hid them under their shirts. It would be a really fun book to read to a class for Thanksgiving. It made me laugh and I am sure it will make them laugh as well.
Melissa
This book was very cute and definitely an easy read for younger kids. Has humor and good opportunities to ask the children engaging questions about the pictures. Enjoyable for the season of Thanksgiving of course, and a fun one for all ages.
Julie
It was kinda cute story but not for my kids as I disagreed with 2 messages portrayed.

1. too feel bad about eating what is a natural source of food for kids
2. making it ok to steal if for a good reason and you disagree with others.
It was a very interesting story about a group of kids visiting a turkey farm: the day before Thanksgiving.
The turkey farmer was a bit creepy and scary looking. But it was a good read. You will laugh out loud with this story.
Sherri
A delightful romp written in a similar rhyme to 'Twas the Night Before Christmas, except that the setting is Thanksgiving. My special needs students really loved this one!
Cathy
My favorite T-day book. Love the illustrations - especially when they all hear what the axe is for!

The incomparable Dav Pilkey adapts Clement Moore's classic Christmas poem to tell his wacky Thanksgiving tale. The day before Thanksgiving, eight boys and girls take a field trip to a turkey farm. They have fun playing with eight exuberant turkeys but are shocked to learn that Farmer Mack Nuggett plans to kill all the turkeys for Thanksgiving dinners. So the children decide to smuggle all the turke
Michelle Nero
Love to read this every year. Read it to my 4 year olds this year ... They immediately decided against eating turkey this Thanksgiving. Save the turkeys!
Melissa Maffei
It is a cute story taken from the poem "Twas the Night Before Christmas." The art is fun and the Fall/ Thanksgiving reference is fun. A fun book to share with young ones.
I like this new take on an old rhyme. It is laugh out loud fun as children try to smuggle turkeys out from the turkey farm. Cute & inventive :)
Crissy Casey
Just a fun read aloud for older kids, especially because the author is Dav Pilkey who writes Captain Underpants and Ricky Ricotta.
Brianna Crall
Seriously one of my favorite holiday books! Love the van Gogh inspired art. My students love this every year.
Kari
I read this wonderfully funny book to my elementary students every year. They know it's my tradition. Love it!
Michael
Great diversity, alternative ethical message, and hilarious picture/lyrics. It will help immensely if you already know the words to Twas the Night Before Christmas, since it is a parody of that.
  • Thanks for Thanksgiving
  • Turkey Trouble
  • One Little, Two Little, Three Little Pilgrims
  • Turk and Runt: A Thanksgiving Comedy
  • It's Thanksgiving
  • One Is a Feast for Mouse: A Thanksgiving Tale (Mouse (Holiday House))
  • Chester Raccoon and the Big Bad Bully (Chester the Raccoon (Kissing Hand) #4)
  • The Ugly Pumpkin
  • Thank You, Sarah: The Woman Who Saved Thanksgiving
  • Fletcher and the Falling Leaves
  • Thanksgiving Mice!
David "Dav" Pilkey (b. March 4, 1966), is a popular children's author and artist. Pilkey is best known as the author and illustrator of the Captain Underpants book series. He lives near Seattle, Washington with his wife, Sayuri.

More about Dav Pilkey...
The Adventures of Captain Underpants (Captain Underpants, #1) Captain Underpants and the Attack of the Talking Toilets (Captain Underpants, #2) The Adventures of Ook and Gluk, Kung-Fu Cavemen from the Future Captain Underpants and the Perilous Plot of Professor Poopypants (Captain Underpants, #4) Captain Underpants and the Big, Bad Battle of the Bionic Booger Boy, Part 1: The Night of the Nasty Nostril Nuggets (Captain Underpants, #6)