Start by marking “The People's Princess: Cherished Memories of Diana, Princess of Wales, From Those Who Knew Her Best” as Want to Read:

In the ten years since Princess Diana’s shocking and tragic death in 1997, her hold on the world’s imagination has only increased. For The People’s Princess, Larry King asked many people who knew Diana, some officially and some more personally, for their favorite memories.

Sir Richard Branson recalls Diana sitting in the cockpit of one of his private planes with baby Prince
Published July 17th 2007 by Crown Archetype (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The People's Princess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The People's Princess

Heather
Jul 22, 2013 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While the subject of the book is one of great interest to me - the approach of this book seemed too shallow. Short little testimonials from some people while a number never met her or had limited contact with her. What I did notice is that many people's little bios mentioned books they had written about Diana, which made me realize that this was more of the same. People still trying to make money off her memory.
Kristine
Jan 12, 2010 Kristine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a compilation of memories from people that had something they wanted to share about the late Princess of Wales. Larry King put the book together, which I must admit, made me wary of the people who would be involved with the book. I am a huge Princess Diana fan, so I was going to read it anyway. Plus it was a gift from one of my daughters. The good thing is that most of the writers knew the princess and kept their thoughts brief. The disappointment to me was that very few shared anything ...more
Kim
Although I'm too young to remember Princess Diana's magnificent wedding to Prince Charles, I can clearly remember the day she died. I didn't know a lot about her, and found this book very interesting. Different than other biographies, this was a collection of memories from many people that knew the Princess, from Barbara Bush to her hairdresser. Many of the writer's included very endearing stories about the Princess. Some of them however, wrote more about themselves. This book left me wanting to ...more
Eliza
Nov 12, 2013 Eliza rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I knew this book was going to be a collection of short stories, but I thought (as the title suggests) that they would be 'from those who knew her best.' Unfortunately, many of the stories were from people who never once met or even encountered her. Also, the stories seemed to reflect more upon her death's impact instead of her life. Some vignettes were so short and 'fluffy' that the bios of the people who wrote them were longer than the 'story'. Sadly, this book was not memorable, and I wouldn't ...more
Andrea Hussey
Heather
Sep 17, 2016 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was just ok. I think my mood ruined the book. I was on a Diana roll, wanting to read books about her, but I kind of got out of the mood. Some stories I did enjoy& one day I was really into reading it all day& quickly flipped through the stories. What ruined it was that the title says "From those who knew her best" and yet there's some stories from people who hadn't met her at all, and others who didn't know her well at all. Before reading this, I was really excited to read stor ...more
Haleigh
Oct 15, 2013 Haleigh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only reason I gave this 4 stars is because I feel that the quote on the front of the cover was false. "Cherished memories of Diana, Princess of Wales, from those who knew her best." I noticed that some of the entries in the book by people stated that they either only met her once and never knew her. But other than that, Good read!
Angie
Jul 08, 2008 Angie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book about Princess Diana.
Cindy
Sep 01, 2008 Cindy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-story
Others peoples opinions of Princess Diana. It has some real heartfelt memories of people who got to meet her.
Lucy capo
going to start reading this book
Christine Jasica
Mar 17, 2015 Christine Jasica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good reading.
Arman
Arman rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2015
Lauren
Lauren rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Keely Richmond
Keely Richmond rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2012
Shelby Phillips
Shelby Phillips rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2014
Rebekah
Rebekah rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2008
Linda Barzano
Linda Barzano rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2014
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was ok
Feb 01, 2009
Christine Andrus
Christine Andrus rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2008
Mary Steidler
Mary Steidler rated it it was ok
Jun 13, 2010
Angela
Angela rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2011
Rona Jade
Rona Jade rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2011
Kimf
Kimf rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2011
Kathy
Kathy rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2016
Charlene
Charlene rated it liked it
May 31, 2010
Dolores Treadway
Dolores Treadway rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2008
Oana
Oana rated it it was ok
Feb 08, 2013
Tami Urbanek
Tami Urbanek rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2014
Elinnur
Elinnur rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2010
Donna Atkinson
Donna Atkinson rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
19874
Larry King is an award-winning American television/radio host. Since 1985, King has hosted a nightly interview program on CNN called Larry King Live.
More about Larry King...

Ken Wharfe

Before Diana disappeared from sight, I called her on the radio. Her voice was bright and lively, and I knew instinctively that she was happy, and safe. I walked back to the car and drove slowly along the only road that runs adjacent to the bay, with heath land and then the sea to my left and the waters of Poole Harbour running up toward Wareham, a small market town, to my right. Within a matter of minutes, I was turning into the car park of the Bankes Arms, a fine old pub that overlooks the bay. I left the car and strolled down to the beach, where I sat on an old wall in the bright sunshine. The beach huts were locked, and there was no sign of life. To my right I could see the Old Harry Rocks--three tall pinnacles of chalk standing in the sea, all that remains, at the landward end, of a ridge that once ran due east to the Isle of Wight. Like the Princess, I, too, just wanted to carry on walking.
Suddenly, my radio crackled into life: “Ken, it’s me--can you hear me?” I fumbled in the large pockets of my old jacket, grabbed the radio, and said, “Yes. How is it going?”
“Ken, this is amazing, I can’t believe it,” she said, sounding truly happy. Genuinely pleased for her, I hesitated before replying, but before I could speak she called again, this time with that characteristic mischievous giggle in her voice. “You never told me about the nudist colony!” she yelled, and laughed raucously over the radio. I laughed, too--although what I actually thought was “Uh-oh!” But judging from her remarks, whatever she had seen had made her laugh.
At this point, I decided to walk toward her, after a few minutes seeing her distinctive figure walking along the water’s edge toward me. Two dogs had joined her and she was throwing sticks into the sea for them to retrieve; there were no crowd barriers, no servants, no police, apart from me, and no overattentive officials. Not a single person had recognized her. For once, everything for the Princess was “normal.” During the seven years I had worked for her, this was an extraordinary moment, one I shall never forget.”
1 likes
Nora Dunn

She rescued herself from the castle, by herself and with no knight in shining armor.”
1 likes