Start by marking “Escape from Bellevue: A Memoir of Rock 'n' Roll, Recovery, and Redemption” as Want to Read:
Escape from Bellevue: A Memoir of Rock 'n' Roll, Recovery, and Redemption

Escape from Bellevue: A Memoir of Rock 'n' Roll, Recovery, and Redemption

Read Christopher John Campion's posts on the Penguin Blog.
Indie rock raconteur Chris Campion-one of the few patients ever to escape from Bellevue's locked ward-recalls his band's tumultuous ride, his plummet into addiction, and the strange road back to sobriety
Chronicling more than twenty years in the life of a Long Island kid who became a hardcore fixture of Manhattan
Published March 1st 2009 by Gotham Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Escape from Bellevue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Escape from Bellevue

Marc Weidenbaum
I went to high school with the author of this book. That's pertinent because it spends a lot of time talking about my home town, from a perspective I had a sense of in my youth, but never really had confirmed until now -- a place that the movie Trees Lounge does a good job of depicting, one of a drunkenness whose recidivism is generational. This is northern Long Island, about an hour out from New York City, in the late 1970s and early 1980s. The book tells of Campion's attraction to rock'n'roll, ...more
Julie
May 24, 2009 Julie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was really disappointed in this book. It entertained me enough to finish it, but the author seems like a) he's a d*ck and b) he's full of sh*t. I didn't believe half his "true" stories, and he seems way too proud of his "exploits" for someone who is supposedly recovered. Also, I checked out his "alternative" band online and they were cheesy and awful.
Michael  Malone
A raucous yarn from the singer of perpetually unsigned New York bar band Knockout Drops who loses the battle with drugs and alcohol and his demons and ends up in the psych ward at Bellevue--three times, in fact. A colorful raconteur, Campion offers up a unique and funny memoir that's tinged with darkness as he transforms into just about the worst person ever. As an author, Campion can't say no to a cliched turn of phrase, and one wonders how some of his tales would hold up if held under the kind ...more
Michael Alan Grapin
Chris Campion, front man for the indie rock band The Knockout Drops and off Broadway playwright lived much of his life through a drug and alcohol induced stupor. Often living on the edge of success and never quite achieving it, his memoir tells of his decline into thoughts of suicide and eventual turn-around after bottoming out. It's an autobiography that reads like a novel filled with humor and angst, a fascinating read.
Freddy
Jul 05, 2012 Freddy rated it liked it
i understand why people like this book. it was fun. sad at times but a fun ride. i just didnt like the main character. and i know that's awful. i dont like the bands that inspire him and a lot of his sense of humor. im not saying he probably isnt talented. hes just not for me. if i would have been more into his influences i might have appreciated the book more.
Pat
May 21, 2012 Pat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was seriously laughing out loud. I'm sure the neighbors thought I'd lost it at 2 a.m. At least for the first half. Then as the disease progressed, not so funny, maybe too close to home. But a great read. And recommended for recovery .
Kelly
Jun 25, 2010 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A memoir that is disturbing and funny and from the bottom of the author's heart. Chris is an addict that finds himself in and out of a mental hospital. Described truthfully. You can visualize the Catholic upbringing to his rock and roll lifestyle.
John Marr
Apr 19, 2009 John Marr rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty typical oddessey of a lampshade-wearing type drunk, differing only in that inbetween blackouts he was singing for indy rock also rans The Knockout Drops. Deduct 10 hipster points for playing intercollegite lacrosse!
Sirreene
I believe many of the music references and locales that I was very familiar with made me enjoy the book more than I may have had the author and I not been the same age and from the same area.
Lou
Oct 02, 2009 Lou rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't read too much at a time - you'll die laughing.
Krysia
Apr 29, 2009 Krysia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
Your standard 80s rock-n-roll saga.
Jim
Jim rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2009
Lisa Jablonsky
Lisa Jablonsky rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2015
Chris Mccann
Chris Mccann rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2010
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
May 02, 2009
Paul K
Paul K rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2011
John Coulter
John Coulter rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2013
Christy Hughes
Christy Hughes rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2011
Pat McGovern
Pat McGovern rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2015
Kamila
Kamila rated it really liked it
May 05, 2010
Eddie Sulecki
Eddie Sulecki rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2016
Cristina
Cristina rated it it was ok
Feb 01, 2012
Karl Weber
Karl Weber rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2011
Claire
Claire rated it it was ok
Jan 07, 2012
sherry
sherry rated it really liked it
May 29, 2015
Dana
Dana rated it it was ok
Oct 02, 2012
Jimmy
Jimmy rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2014
Tim Dirgins
Tim Dirgins rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2012
Jenni
Jenni rated it it was ok
Jun 08, 2013
Cathy
Cathy rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2014