Start by marking “Superman: Godfall” as Want to Read:
Superman: Godfall

Superman: Godfall

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  693 ratings  ·  30 reviews
The Futuresmith's changed Metropolis's reality and the Man of Steel has gone missing Superman awakes as an adult on a Krypton he's never seen before complete with a career, a loving partner and a sense that something is not right, especially when he starts displaying powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal Kryptonians.
Published June 8th 2005 by DC Comics (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Superman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Superman

Sam Quixote
Superman’s been brainwashed, shrunk and placed into the bottled city of Kandor where he awakens with an alien wife and son. In his new reality, he’s Kal, a father and bureaucrat within Kryptonian government. That is until the day some Akira-type biker gangs try killing him and he discovers he has unknown strength – superpowers!

Godfall is a very dull middle piece of a larger Superman story. How Superman got brainwashed/shrunk happened to take place in a previous book (not sure which one but I ha
Jacob
The storyline was a bit of convoluted emptiness. The artwork was enjoyable.
Andrew
2 1/2 STARS

If you like Superman comics, and you have about a half hour to kill, this isn't a bad read. On the positive, the art (especially the colors) are magnificent. The concept was also really neat, and I now have to give some credit to this creative team for exploring life on Kandor and developing the sociobiological dynamics. The class strata was some of the heart of the conflict, and the rascism that Kryptonians inflict on other aliens. It seems like a few years after the release of this,
Marc's Comics
Mind boggling art, probably some of Joe Kelly's better writing work, overall a great time!
M
Nov 26, 2009 M rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Frank
Not a must read Superman story but definitely a good one. Superman is now living as a lowly Politician in krypton and doesn't remember anything about being Superman. He has a wife, kids and a life but we all know all of this will go to shit once Kal-El realizes he is Superman. The fights are big, the art is cool(even though a little over done) and the story is interesting. what really brings down the story is that I don't care about anyone else in the cast of characters. Sure his wife turns out ...more
Kayla Eklund
This was just kinda eh for me. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't horrible, but it wasn't my favorite Superman comic that I read. The ending felt a little anti-climactic. The beginning was also really confusing. I had no idea what the heck was going on.
Glenn
A manufactured story that tries to recast Superman's history as a Christian allegory and at the same time ruins the whole idea of the bottled city, Kandor. The art's ok, but this is not an iconic Superman story.
Adam Fisher
This book starts off as Akira: Superman Edition. SO. COOL. Supes on a bike fighting....
Michael Turner's art again saves a minor story and makes it epic.

Overall a good read, and very short.
Recommend.
Dan
One of those stories were a prior explanation would be great. Why was Clark in the bottle? I understand that the one character changed his memories. More background would have made this better.
Nerdish Mum
This book was neither good or bad, it was just kind of meh. It was incredibly thin so took very little time to read which was a bonus. One good thing was the artwork, it was stunning
This book started off good, but then I got basically totally lost and confused. It starts with Kal-El (Superman) living an ordinary domestic life as a low-level government functionary on Krypton. But then he starts manifesting super powers, and I'm not really clear on what happens after that. Maybe if I was more familiar with the world of Superman it would have made more sense. The book is gorgeously drawn, but what is it with male comic book authors and the way they draw women? I realize this i ...more
Jhoson Shampws
It's a good history. It's not great but is good.
Steve
I liked it. It was like a Superman version of the Twilight Zone. Superman awakens to a life he doesn't remember, where he is a low level drone working for the government and is married to a beautiful alien wife.

His powers are gone but he sense something isn't right, and then everything goes to hell.

The art by Michael Turner is what I like best. The story comes second and it does have a nice twist near the end.

I enjoyed this story.
Thom Foolery
Begins as apparent "what if?" alternate universe, resolves itself into an interesting enough case of mistaken identity and religious zeal. Interesting concept, especially for Superman story, because Supes typically comes across as pretty saccharine..
M
A visual treat from artist Michael Turner, this collection looks at a world of Superman's dreams - or nightmares. The true highlight of this mini-mystery is Turner's art, and his unique take on Superman's costume.
Andrew
Mainly bought for the classroom library,this has very interesting art but I never really got into Superman for a reason. Thankfully, as I said, this is more for my students.
Nicolas
I liked the art, but that's about it.
Jamie
Nov 13, 2007 Jamie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: geek
Guilty pleasures of mine happen to include Kryptonian culture, cities in bottles, and the House of El.
John Yelverton
If this book had not been so well drawn and so well written, I would have absolutely hated it.
Morgan Chalfant
A fantastically touching story with the most compelling artwork done by Michael Turner (R.I.P.).
Kerry
5 stars simply for the work of Michael Turner. He has to be my absolute favourite.
Rob
The art is beautiful and the storyline interesting, reminded me of Thor.
Tim Baksh
Mar 05, 2013 Tim Baksh rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who's ok with copy/paste style writing
Recommended to Tim by: found it
Sooooooooooo this was pretty much Total Recall: Superman Edition. .______.
Ben
Superman's Kandor wife was a bit much. About as outgoing as Emma Frost.
Marveenlee
I learned that you don't need power to people and your family
Stargirl
Superman par Michael Turner! Je ne peux qu'adhérer!
Xion
  • The Flash, Vol. 6: Ignition
  • Superman/Batman, Vol. 5: The Enemies Among Us
  • Superman/Batman, Vol. 8:  Finest Worlds
  • Batman: No Man's Land, Vol. 5
  • Superman: Up, Up, and Away!
  • Superman/Shazam!: First Thunder
  • Batman: War Drums
  • Superman & Batman: Generations, An Imaginary Tale (Elseworlds)
  • Batman & Superman: World's Finest
  • Justice Society Returns
  • The Authority: Revolution, Vol. 2
Comic Book Artist. He studied pre-medicine at the University of Tennessee, and then moved to Aspen, Colorado, and later San Diego, where he taught martial arts, became an award winning water skier, and began drawing comic books. In 1994, he was hired by Top Cow Productions in Century City, California, where he was the co-creator of "Witchblade", a comic about a voluptuous female detective who figh ...more
More about Michael Lane Turner...
Fathom Volume 1 Fathom: The Definitive Edition Volume 1 Soulfire, Volume 1 Fathom #0 (Fathom, V1) Fathom Volume 2: Into The Deep