Start by marking “Catwoman, Vol. 1: The Dark End of the Street” as Want to Read:
Catwoman, Vol. 1: The Dark End of the Street

Catwoman, Vol. 1: The Dark End of the Street (Catwoman II #1)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  1,082 ratings  ·  44 reviews
For years, Selina Kyle has prowled the skyline of Gotham City as its most famous thief, Catwoman. But when word spreads of Catwoman's demise, Selina decides to leave the costumed world behind and continue her trade cloaked in the shadows. Unable to enjoy her newfound anonymity for too long though, Selina decides that she must return to her infamous persona. Donning a new c ...more
Published September 1st 2002 by DC Comics (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Catwoman, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catwoman, Vol. 1

Catwoman, Vol. 1 by Ed BrubakerBatman by Jeph LoebCatwoman by Jeph LoebBatman by Jeph LoebCatwoman by Darwyn Cooke
Best of Catwoman
1st out of 27 books — 18 voters
Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. VaughanFray by Joss WhedonRunaways, Vol. 1 by Brian K. VaughanBatwoman by Greg RuckaCaptain Marvel, Vol. 1 by Kelly Sue DeConnick
Kickass women in superhero comics
25th out of 208 books — 151 voters

More lists with this book...

Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

Excellent! I love the snappy art style and Catwoman is so much fun! A roguish heroine - sorta - written superbly by Brubaker. Will definitely continue to check out this line!
Jen
"Because my world is all just shades of grey, Batman. That's why you'll never really understand me. It's about good people being forced into bad situations. That's my territory -- In between right and wrong. Which is a place you can never go. And we both know it."
Sam Quixote
This is very clearly an Ed Brubaker comic as it starts with a private detective hired by a shady mayor to investigate a murder. Brubaker would go on to explore noir more memorably in the “Criminal” and “Fatale” series, and the opening of this story reads very much like those later books. In an earlier volume, Selina Kyle ran for mayor of New York and ended up dead... or is she? Slam Bradley (awesome name for a PI) is on the case. In the main story of this book, Catwoman returns to Gotham as a pr ...more
Andy
Jun 12, 2008 Andy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Catwoman fans; noir femme fatale types
Shelves: comix-novel
When Catwoman got her own comic it should have been an exciting new series, but it wasn’t. It was grade-A stinko; does anyone remember the awful “Women In Chains” issue where Catwoman had to fend for her life in a women’s penitentiary wearing full superheroine regalia? They don’t even get to wear their villain togs in Arkham Asylum!

What saved Catwoman was hiring Darwyn Cooke of “New Frontier” fame in remaking her as a Forties-styled noir harpy looming over Gotham City clad from head to toe in bl
Jen
This is truly what Catwoman was meant to be. Kick-arse, headstrong and the right amount of femininity with the cattitude to boot (hah, had to put the pun in)—a far more modern and sophisticated update of her late 90s version. Brubaker's storytelling is consistently gripping and entertaining.
Patrick
Liked it. Very Noir.

Also, it was accessible to me even though I don't know the character's whole tangled decade-long storyline. It brought me in and made me curious enough that I just ordered the next three trades in the series.
thuy
I recently picked up the first TPB volume of what the Catwoman reboot that was first released in the early 2002. The series, written by Ed Brubaker with art by Darwyn Cooke and Mike Allred finds Catwoman at a crossroads. With both Catwoman and her alter ego Selina Kyle believed to be dead, Catwoman decides that it's time to lay low and re-evaluate her life and the direction she wants to take it.

The story starts off in classic Brubaker style with a noir-type storyline featuring a detective, Slam
Justyn Rampa
Re-Read Review:

So I've decided in the wake of becoming totally obsessed with Ed Brubaker's Catwoman reboot, I have to give this a five star rating. The only reason for the four star rating was because I did not initially warm to Darywn Cooke's art (much like I did not initially warm to Tim Sale's art), but the second time around...I dug it. Also, if for nothing else I must give Darywn Cooke mad props for the genius revamp he gave the Catwoman costume. Brilliant!

The story was still just as engagi
Kelly Lynn Thomas
Brubaker's Catwoman will always be my favorite. This book came out right when I was seriously getting into comic book collecting. I was in high school, and Catwoman was already my favorite superhero character, but this series cemented it. I read it issue by issue, month by month, and in my teenage angst could really connect with the dark grey places Selina is forced to inhabit. I love the way Brubaker handles her romance with Batman, and I love that she's not really a villain, and not really a h ...more
Althea J.
If anyone’s looking for a great starting point when it comes to Catwoman, this book is where it’s at. Writer Ed Brubaker, art by Darwyn Cooke and Mike Allred. This book establishes a Selina Kyle whose power is not tied to her sexuality. She exudes a subtle sexiness, but that is FAR from the most defining aspect of her character.

We watch as Selina tries to reconcile the demons of her past with her desire to do good in the present. And I love the direction she takes! A new era of looking out for o
Brandon Forsyth
Reading this very small collection of Brubaker's CATWOMAN feels like watching a promising pilot - there's enough there to keep you going, but you get the sense that character and storyteller are still feeling each other out. Selina Kyle should be a great fit for Brubaker, and I'm excited to see where he took this story. The battle with the Clayface-like villain at the end of this volume is suitably icky.
Helmut
Überzeugend

In diesem Comic überzeugt sowohl das Skript von Ed Brubaker als auch die Zeichnungen von Darwyn Cooke. Sehr "noir" und detektivisch angelegt ist Catwoman glaubwürdig und nicht übertrieben superheldenhaftig. Besser als die normalen Catwoman-Ausgaben (1-4 sind in diesem Band enthalten) gefallen mir sogar die vorgeschalteten "Slam Bradley"-Geschichten, die dieses schmutzige, zwielichtige und fiese Milieu, in dem sich die neue Catwoman bewegt, sehr schön illustrieren.

Cookes Zeichnungen s
Todd
I'm never sure if I'm going to like a Brubaker book. I liked some of his Captain America and little of his Daredevil.

I really enjoyed this. I liked the Slam Bradley story from the start. It was a good way to introduce people who don't follow the DC universe into what was going on at the time in Catwoman's life. I was digging the Dick Tracy influenced art.

The Catwoman story line was good. I don't really know much about the character other than movies and alternate universes. I love the costume. I
Greg of A2
This is well written especially the first half which centers on the Slam Bradley character (former cop, now detective for hire). He's looking for the trail of Selina (Catwoman) who is suppose to be dead. It has a good hard boiled detective feel with old Sam taking some beatings but giving a few too. What really drew me to this work is the artist Darwyn Cooke. His style is just great as its sweet and charming with a classic style. He can be a bit modern and tough when it's needed (see cover) whic ...more
Oliver Hodson
A very solid establishment of the hero's m.o. Some nice wrinkles, with cook and allred's art matching well, and the style not upsetting the setting, 50s art in modern times (they make references to websites and such in the book). Love the brube
Michael
Brubaker and Cooke's Catwoman is to mainstream comics what Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is to Kung-fu flicks: A clandestine feminist revision of a normally sexist genre and character type. Brubaker is a great crime writer, and Cooke's revamp of the Catwoman costume (black leather, funky goggles and no tail) is totally fabulous. This Catwoman deals in a far more ambiguous moral space, but so too does she set herself up as the guardian of the unwanted, preyed upon women of Gotham. The lesbian sub ...more
Sean
Feb 25, 2013 Sean rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone!
Ed Brubaker and Darwyn Cooke come together and produce a near perfect reinvention of Selina Kyle and Catwoman. This is such a departure of the Jim Balent stuff of years past. Brubaker creates a world and Selina's role in it perfectly. Darwyn Cooke's art is so beautiful and suited for this atmosphere. The opening pages of this (from Detective Comics back-up stories) featruing Slam Bradley aren't great but bring the reader up to speed. The main issue here, to me, is the villain's striking resemble ...more
Chadwick
Jan 07, 2008 Chadwick rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who appreciate kick-ass women in comics
Shelves: comics
I think that I will probably buy just about anything that Darwyn Cooke ever draws. His economy of line, compositional wizardry, and sense of storytelling are the distillation of much of what I love about the medium. The Brubaker/Cooke/Stewart run on the title revealed the Selena Kyle that I always knew was hiding inside the years of bad Catwoman comics. She's really one of the greatest characters in DC comics. I wish that she would only be given to writers who know what to do with her.
Meghan Wilson
Slam Bradley is the SHIIIIT. This is the best catwoman book ever...darwyn Cooke on inks, Ed Brubaker writing. It is a very noir-style telling of our famous Catwoman, set with a backdrop of private investigation by the ultimate noir character...Slam Bradley. The rest of the series continues in this vein very well with some changes to the artist. Mostly the new artists are good and try to keep the same feel as Cooke (with the exception of a ridiculous few).
Lisa
I liked the story. I didn't like the artwork.
Tom
Jun 18, 2008 Tom rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: trades
As of this series, Brubaker in my mind is the go-to guy to revive dead characters. I have no idea how he does it but he's done it with Captain America, Iron Fist and Catwoman. Three characters I could care less about before. He's a miracleworker, that one is. I have his entire run. Started to thud out when Gulacy took over art chores. Then the tie in's with some silly crossover.
Rachel Searcey
Written and styled after a film noir, it wasn't bad at all. The art is a bit lacking, everything is crammed into teeny frames with minimal coloring and simple composition. But I guess what would you expect from a serial? It had an interesting story that wrapped up nicely, and gives some insight into Selina's character. I will read more of Brubaker's Cat Woman,.
Tripmastermonkey
there are two stories in this book. the first is so well done as a noir detective story. the second is less well done, in my mind, but there is an important element that comes out: in contrast to batman (who is black and white about good and evil), catwoman is someone who understands the gray areas of life and motivations that people have. a fun read!
Travis
This series Jump starts Catwoman as more of a 'gentleman thief' character in an Emma Peel styled bodysuit and trying to protect Gotham in her own special way.
Lots of fun and a great way to take a good, but much miss used character into a fun read that can stand alone without having to read the other 'Bat-titles'.

Gabrielle.
Catwoman it's a truly badass. Love her.
Tyler
This was pretty great! I like a new-ish take on Catwoman. She's always been a conflicted character, and it's interesting to see her as a crimefighter who takes the side of the underdog. The art is different, but I like it, and I'm very OK with the fact that Catwoman no longer has a purple suit with a tail.
Lisa
Jul 25, 2012 Lisa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics

Okay, read these kind of backwards, but really enjoyed the beginning of this Catwoman series. Slam Bradley is a great character, especially as he was drawn. Still need to go farther back in the story, but enjoy Catwoman as a crusader for good for a while.
Linda
I have always loved the character Catwoman, and reading this just added to my love! It helped give the character more substance. However, there are still a lot of questions that I have that I hope get answered in the subsequent volumes!
Dana
I love, love, loved Ed Brubaker's reboot of Catwoman. I'm sad that we only got 4 fantastic volumes before Will Pfeifer came along and Catwoman's tits became more prominent than her cunning, but I guess I should be used to that by now.
Fine retelling with crisp, clever art. THe theme of Selina's duality is reflected in subtle ways in the art, like her face in the draining coffee. Better than most of the movies in this genre. Real nod to film noir in the opening.
  • Catwoman: Selina's Big Score
  • Batgirl, Vol. 2: A Knight Alone
  • Batman: Nine Lives
  • Zatanna, Vol. 1: The Mistress of Magic
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 1
Ed Brubaker (born November 17, 1966) is an Eisner Award-winning American cartoonist and writer. He was born at the National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland.

Brubaker is best known for his work as a comic book writer on such titles as Batman, Daredevil, Captain America, Iron Fist, Catwoman, Gotham Central, Sleeper, Uncanny X-Men and X-Men: Deadly Genesis, and The Authority, and for helping
More about Ed Brubaker...
Batman: The Man Who Laughs Criminal, Vol. 1: Coward X-Men: Messiah Complex Captain America: Winter Soldier, Vol. 1 Captain America: The Death of Captain America, Vol. 1: The Death of the Dream