Start by marking “Fantastic Four: Books Of Doom” as Want to Read:
Fantastic Four: Books Of Doom

Fantastic Four: Books Of Doom

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  314 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Five-time Eisner-nominated Best Writer Ed Brubaker turns his shadowy vision to Marvel's greatest villain, Victor Von Doom. With the phenomenal art team of Pablo Raimondi and Mark Farmer, you will witness Doom's life from his earliest moments to the day he took the throne of Latveria. A dark and revealing examination of how an innocent boy grows up to be a tyrant - a new tw ...more
Published August 9th 2006 by Marvel (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Fantastic Four, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fantastic Four

Gavin
description

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This is a 241 special...FF and Evil Villain.

Ed Brubaker does a solid job giving us an origin story of our favourite Latverian megalomaniac. The art is decent, and definitely focuses on Victor and his transformation to Doctor (funny enough, he never actually earned that degree, because he was booted after the experiment which left his face (and psyche) scarred).
Victor encounters a lot of tragedy in his early years, his mother dabbled in the dark arts, and it cost her her life and soul; his fath
Matt Garcia
Incredible origin of Doctor Doom and his humble roots as a member of a gypsy clan. Great artwork and a captivating story line make this a fantastic (no pun intended) read. Doctor Doom is a truly sympathetic villain and I found myself able to relate to some of his dilemmas and controversies. Terrific character study of a scintillating villain.
Sam Quixote
Ed Brubaker brings his considerable writing talents to colour in the past of one of Marvel's more mysterious characters - Dr Doom. We get to see Victor as a young man, innocent and in love, travelling with his roaming family in an Eastern European-esque country before things go sour. "The Baron" is an evil noble who forces Victor and his family to go on the run, ultimately ending in tragedy, while Victor's mother dabbles in the black arts leading to more tragedy. It leads to Victor's escape to A ...more
Sumit Singla
The book deals with the origin of the character who I think is surely one of the most badass villains in Marvel history. (Some people might debate that, but please blame it on my limited exposure, if you disagree with me.)

I liked the layers in the story, and the artwork as well. The atrocities of the Baron, the death of Von Doom's mother, his relationship with Valeria - all explored very well.

However, why exactly does he hate Dr. Reed? Just because the guy is a doctor? Just because he was lookin
Eric Mikols
This was great. Doom is one of the strongest personalities in comicdom, and I love how feared he is in the Marvel universe. Having never read his origin stories, this was all new for me. Brubaker does a great job of making Doom sympathetic but also proving why he's a villain. Doom is arrogant, even before the Mask. Many of his downfalls are at his own hand, due to his overconfidence and pride. But it's all told perfectly, even when some moments run the risk of being cliche. Really, though, I enj ...more
M
The untold history of Doctor Doom is on display in this collection from Ed Brubaker. Recounting his tale to an unseen party, Victor von Doom recounts his life as a young gypsy from a cursed family. Determined to put his mind to work rescuing his mother, von Doom sets out to conquer both magic and science in search of an answer. The tinkerings of a young lad lead to government-sponsored education in America, and an ultimately fateful encounter with one Reed Richards. Scarred and disgraced, a mela ...more
Trekscribbler
I grew up being a HUGE DC fan. Marvel stuff was, largely, the way of mutants, and I just never really caught that bug. However, I can remember as a little reading some cheap black-n-white adaptations of the Fantastic Four and being thrilled by the major evildoer, Doctor Doom aka Victor Von Doom, and, having seen the recent FANTASTIC FOUR film on DVD, I thought I'd pick this up to explore Ed Brubaker's take on Von Doom's origins ... and I'm certainly glad I did. FANTASTIC FOUR: BOOKS OF DOOM isn' ...more
Carlos Lavín
TOP 5 THINGS VICTOR VON DOOM LOVES:

1) Speaking about how incredibly above humans and god-like Victor von Doom is. Special enjoyment comes from doing this in the third person.

2) Smithing armors in his spare time that perfectly outline what can only be described as his god-given gifts (view spoiler).

3) Looking fabulous in green.

4) Blood. Seriously.

5) Calling himself Doctor Doom to allude a non-existing Ph.D. because that nasty, dorky Dr. Reed Richards wasn't kicked out of
Holden Attradies
A pretty darn solid read. Sure, there is nothing all together new or ground breaking, but as a safe read it was great. A really well done update for Dooms origin, flushing it out and not feeling dated. the art work was good, the dialog decent, and the character development great. Through the dueling narration of doom himself and other people telling the other side of stories you get a clear picture that Doom is in fact insane. I recommend for any fans of doom out there.
Praxedes
Reading Dr. Doom's biography is a fascinatingly sinister experience. Doom's childhood account was marred by death and suffering from the start. Horror and grief intertwine to define a character equal parts madman, genius, and zealot --and one of the most complex and memorable villains in graphic novel history. Short but sweet, this six-part series documents Doom's rise from wandering Gypsy to ruler of Latveria and arch-enemy of Reed Richards, aka Mr. Fantastic.
John Wiswell
Dec 25, 2007 John Wiswell rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Comics fans
Dr. Doom, for all the armor and goofy name, is one of the most profound characters in the Marvel Universe. An origin story should have been great, especially in Ed Brubaker's capable hands. Unfortunately it falls into the class of many prequel-origin comics, novels and movies, expanding on little that is interesting, and running over the dumber coincidences. Some of it seems like an homage to the corny era of superhero comics Dr. Doom arose from, but the execution falls flat. It's particularly d ...more
arjuna
A lovely fun ride - a detailed, credible, unexpectedly touching origin story, fleshing in the otherwise somewhat (to me, as someone new to the Marvel universe) flat and lifeless-seeming villain Doctor Doom's motivation, drive and inner logic. (I am sure my appreciation of him would deepen with more knowledge of the canon, but until now he has been something of a confusing and unreadable presence). Thoroughly enjoyable, and I shall definitely enjoy his appearances elsewhere now I know something a ...more
Rolf
Brubaker fell flat with this one - pretty lacklustre story that leaves you not feeling anything for Doom, who comes across as arrogant and entitled and without any redeeming features. Most definitely not the page-turner that his Crime series was.
Mark
Jan 08, 2009 Mark rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: hardcore Fantastic Four fans only
Six books to tell the origin story of Doctor Doom? Really?

Some lessons to learn from comic books (which apply not only to this book but to many others):

1. CIA = bad.
2. KGB = bad.
3. pretty much any government = bad.
4. try to avoid futzing around with dark magic... this = bad. (BTW, I'm in total agreement with this... good life lesson.)
5. the secrets of the universe are all in Tibetan monasteries hidden deep within the Himalayas. (Based on this, I'm not sure why we need "Free Tibet" concerts... th
Bryson McCheeseburger
Was cool at the beginning, but it kinda fell apart and got cheesy at the end. I know it was about the origin of Doom, but barely anything Fantastic Four was a little shocking for me. And the end? Meh...
Jason
Great art and Brubaker giving Dr Doom a tragic origin story where it's not all black and white. Very enjoyable was pleasantly surprised.
Jojo
Well a villains back story usually starts the same way, and this villain is no different. The backstory about the parents was pretty good, with great visual art. His rise to power was a bit overdone, and the ending was interestinlgly put. I do enjoy a good bad guy...
Scott
I would have never read this if it wasn't recommended to me just because it has the FF in the title (they drive me crazy) but in reality this book isn't about the FF at all, but rather is a Doctor Doom origin story. Brubaker really does a good job of showing Doom's motivation for everything he does in this book. Just a well written rise to evil(?). You really don't gather that he's the bad guy from this, just that he had some crappy stuff happen to him and eventually takes over Latveria. But it' ...more
Telps
A good history of one of the best villains in the Marvel Universe. I may be slightly biased as I am a life long fan of the Fantastic Four.
Trey
You can do better, Ed Brubaker. I especially didn't like the fact that Reed Richards and the future Fantastic Four were basically removed from this origin story. If he's not involved, then why does Doom hate him so much? What is the point? Because he was on tv hailed as a genius and Doom (who had been completely underground, on top of a mountain, and in a tiny country for years, so I wonder why he wasn't getting any press) wasn't? Lame.
Matt
It's okay...the first half is where the book really shines. Unfortunately, in the last third or so, the book becomes extremely typical and pedestrian. Plus, I hated the little attempt at a "twist" at the end...it was uncalled for and unnecessary.

Honestly? While Brubaker did fine with this, for the most part, I would have loved to have seen Jonathan Hickman do this instead. He would've made it shine.
MB Taylor
An interesting take on the origin of Doctor Doom. Brubaker takes story components revealed over the decades about Doom, incorporating them into the standard story from Fantastic Four Annual #2 (1964). Most notably we learn more about Doom's mother Cynthia and here torment in hell and about Valeria, the gypsy girl Doom once loved.

A good read, but in the end I'm not sure what it tells about Doom.
Jenny
I would probably have appreciated this book a bit more had I any knowledge whatsoever of the Fantastic Four. I liked the illustrations, but the story itself had a bit of the cheese-factor, what with the dead mother and all. Having the story set up like an interview, with cutaway moments with older versions of key players in the story, earned this book the third star.
Nfnt-robin
We have a lot of Brubaker on this year's list. Then again, that makes sense, as he's a hard-workin' writer. I liked this, but I'm on the fence about whether it's great. It does make a certain amount of sense to those who don't know the continuity/history of the Fantastic Four, and its a nice stand alone.
Timo
Jan 09, 2014 Timo rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
Really good history of the baddest bad of Marvel Universe. It even had a great twist at the end. Really good stuff. Well done Brubaker.
Mali
I had to read this, since although I am a big Marvel fan, I knew almost nothing about Victor von Doom.
I liked the story, the artwork was fine too, but it could've had a better script - sadly a common characteristic of many 'newer' Marvel comics.
miaaa
#2013-7

For every hero there's an equal villain. Here in this story apparently Reed Richards and Victor Von Doom gone way back since their youth. I guess the path we take determined who we are in this universe.
Katie
It was an interesting story for an interesting character. I've always loved Dr. Doom and it was fun to see his orgin in one wonderfully drawn book. Excellent read.
Stephen Snyder
A must have for any Dr. Doom fan! Beautifully retold origin with wonderfully placed missing pieces to a diabolical puzzle. Kudos!!!
Lindsey.parks
You want to learn about Doom, read this. His story is incredible. The writing here was fantastic and those covers...
  • Ultimate Fantastic Four, Vol. 8: Devils
  • Ultimate Fantastic Four, Vol. 5: Crossover
  • Ultimate Comics Ultimates, Volume 2: Two Cities. Two Worlds.
  • New X-Men: Childhood's End, Vol. 1
  • Doctor Strange, Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment
  • Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: Best of the Best
  • American Flagg!, Vol. 1
  • X-Statix Omnibus
Ed Brubaker (born November 17, 1966) is an Eisner Award-winning American cartoonist and writer. He was born at the National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland.

Brubaker is best known for his work as a comic book writer on such titles as Batman, Daredevil, Captain America, Iron Fist, Catwoman, Gotham Central, Sleeper, Uncanny X-Men and X-Men: Deadly Genesis, and The Authority, and for helping
More about Ed Brubaker...
Batman: The Man Who Laughs Captain America: Winter Soldier, Vol. 1 X-Men: Messiah Complex Criminal, Vol. 1: Coward Fatale, Vol. 1: Death Chases Me