Start by marking “Betsy-Tacy and Tib” as Want to Read:
Betsy-Tacy and Tib

Betsy-Tacy and Tib (Betsy-Tacy #2)

4.17  ·  Rating Details ·  8,141 Ratings  ·  245 Reviews
Three of a Kind

Betsy and Tacy are best friends. Then Tib moves into the neighborhood and the three of them start to play together. The grown-ups think they will quarrel, but they don't. Sometimes they quarrel with Betsy's and Tacy's bossy big sisters, but they never quarrel among themselves.

They are not as good as they might be. They cook up awful messes in the kitchen, th
Published May 17th 2011 by HarperCollins (first published 1941)

To ask other readers questions about Betsy-Tacy and Tib, please sign up.

Zoë Whittle Most of them, actually. Definitely the next one, possibly the next two, Betsy Was a Junior, and Betsy's Wedding.

Lisa Vegan
Sep 26, 2007 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody, especially girls & women
Recommended to Lisa by: Ginny and CLM
This book shows such an idyllic childhood, even in an era before vaccination was available for diphtheria. While my childhood experiences were significantly different, there was much familiar here. Maud Hart Lovelace really remember what it feels like to be a child.

I particularly enjoyed the story of the three haircuts. The Everything Pudding story was fun as well.

For adults who have missed this book, even if you grew up many years after Maud Hart Lovelace’s time, you’ll feel a sense of nostalgi
Duane
This is the second book in the Betsy Tacy series, and the girls, led by Betsy, continue their adventures in their small town neighborhood. They are basically good little girls, but when you get three good little girls together there is bound to be some mischief. These timeless stories written 75 years ago are still a pleasure to read today.
Naomi Sarah
I like it (a lot) - it's perfectly adorable. I would have loved it as a kid - what a pity I didn't grow up with these! (I'm sick of the word 'bashful' though. :-P)
Makenzie
Jan 19, 2017 Makenzie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hewan's review: "Infinity stars. That was the cutest thing ever! They are growing up too fast."

Another great collection of adventures in Deep Valley. I loved the addition of realistic, practice Tib. The only odd bit was a chapter about the girls trying to be good Christians, as they had some awkward beliefs about God that I had to explain away to my kid, but it actually turned out quite hilarious to see their plans of piety backfire. We love these girls and their lovely little world!
Melody
Sep 10, 2007 Melody rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody
Shelves: favorites
9/2012 Stet

12/2007 Re-reading this book hardly counts as reading, since I know it like the back of my hand. The entire series is so well-written and just plain fun that revisiting it is a treat. Lovelace's essential voice is unchanged throughout the series, yet she writes in a tone designed to engage readers of the characters' ages especially. My favorite part of this book is where Tib's family's "hired girl" Matilda catches them at mischief:

'"The dining room looks all right now," Betsy added. "
Susann
Jan 15, 2009 Susann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Susann by: Sarah
Shelves: re-read, the-tomes
"Betsy loved to think up things to do, and Tacy and Tib loved to do them."
This book was my introduction to the Betsy-Tacy series and I will always be grateful to my sister for introducing it to me. I especially like this one because the girls are so naughty in it. I never made Everything Pudding, but I did play Mirror Palace.

Update: It's always fun to discuss this one with the VSC, because we always laugh so much. It's impossible for me to to choose my favorite of The Tomes, but I agree with ou
Karen
Jan 24, 2017 Karen marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ellie
Ellie put this book on hold. She said it is not holding her attention like the first one did. She is really into reading the Winnie the Pooh books right now and will come back to this one later..krb 1/24/17
Carmen Maloy
Oct 22, 2007 Carmen Maloy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Betsy-Tacy and Tib" is the follow up to the popular "Betsy-Tacy". The book pretty much picks up where "Betsy-Tacy" leaves off. In this book, the girls get a third friend named Tib, a cute blonde girl who had moved to Deep Valley with her family from Milwaukee, Wisconsin. It didn't take very long for the two girls to hit it off with Tib.
It quickly becomes apparent that Tib is more adventurous and free-spirited which gets Betsy and Tacy into heaps of trouble but what young girl didn't get into tr
Lawrence
Jun 21, 2009 Lawrence rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am going through the Betsy-Tacy books at the instance of a friend. First, I continue to love the pictures. Second, this second of the series goes beyond the "feelings" of childhood life so well described in the first one. It becomes far more complicated. I love the chapters on the The Christian Kindness Club. I think an old fashioned reader (like me) would enjoy how it represents St. Paul's discourse in the letter to the Romans how the law gives rise to sin. Just so for the girls. Otherwise, t ...more
Beth
Sep 16, 2007 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids (girls mostly)
I have no idea where I got these books, but I had the whole series -- starting from when Betsy, Tacy and Tib were in first grade, and ending with "Betsy and the World" where she's a famous journalist, and she's travelling the world alone, on a steamer ship, because she just broke off her engagement ... well, I don't want to give it all away. These books are soooo fun, and simple and innocent, but the girls are always having a great time. They really inspired me, especially to write, when I was y ...more
Cynthia Egbert
Mar 10, 2015 Cynthia Egbert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
"Three can make the planets sing." This is the opening quote for this book, a book that then goes on to prove that three need not be a crowd. These three wee girls are priceless and they belong together. And the troubles that three can imagine is much more divine! I love all that Ms. Lovelace writes as she transports me back to a time and place where I love to visit. Oh! And I adore the fact that the cat is named Lady Jane Grey!
Elinor  Loredan
Aug 06, 2016 Elinor Loredan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
The story is episodic with each chapter making its own plot. I enjoyed reading about the three girls' escapades and always wondered what they would do next. I would like if each girl was more distinct from the rest. Betsy is usually the one who comes up with the schemes, Tib tends to be practical, and Tacy tends to agree with Betsy and be generally sweet. But the three mains characters could still be more individualized.

Cozy, entertaining reading. I'd like to read the rest of the series.
Elizabeth W
Aug 22, 2007 Elizabeth W rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As much as I loved Betsy/Tacy I adore the fact that Tib became friends with Betsy and Tacy. She was the sweet but also was willing to be a little bit more naughty. She added a great dimension to the books.
The real Tib, in later life, lived in Chicago and my Aunt was a friend of hers and that is how I fell in love with the books.
Mary
Aug 24, 2008 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-youth
Whenever I re-read a Betsy-Tacy story the little girl that lives within me sits next to me and listens as I read. These simple, dear little books help me remember what it was like when I first began reading.
Kristen
These books are just sweet and wonderful. They are a great choice for younger kids reading above grade level, but I think older kids who like historical fiction would enjoy these as well. Betsy, Tacy, and Tib's gentle adventures are funny and sweet and enjoyable.
Nov 14, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this many many times. First time reading aloud to my eldest. Started in late May 2015. Daughter loved this book. She is excited about the series and I am excited she's excited. Another generation of BTT fan has begun!
Sharanne
You really have to be under ten the first time you read this. Like a wise woman in "You've Got Mail" said, "When you read something as a child it becomes a part of you like no other reading in your life." (not a perfect quote) but the idea is so true.
Kermit
Aug 25, 2016 Kermit rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: junior-fiction

Tib, a new friend, joins Betsy and Tacy in more adventures. There is a simplicity and innocence to this series of books.

I was reminded to read this series when I re-watched You’ve Got Mail and Meg Ryan mentioned the Betsy Tacy books.
Tracy
Mar 16, 2008 Tracy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has one of my favorite escapades: when the girls cut each other's hair.
I loved this series from my childhood. They are a bit dated now, but I feel my little girl joy every time I re-read them.
Kathryn
Jun 07, 2016 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, betsy-tacy
Ah, the sweetness of that era. My favorite story in the book was when they cut half of each other's hair to put in a locket (way too much hair) so they would have something to remember each other by if one of them should die. Such innocence.
Amanda Rehani
Sep 24, 2012 Amanda Rehani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
My absolute favorite series growing up! I have a lot of big serious books on tap for this fall so I'm going to be frivolous in between them and re-read the Betsy-Tacy series.
Tegan
Jul 07, 2016 Tegan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was good and they are very full of mischief they do bad things like cut each others hair and they put the hair in lockets so they can remember each other
Erin
Aug 22, 2007 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Re-read - October 2016.
Nora
Nov 01, 2011 Nora rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free-reading
MCL. I liked when they tried to imitate the flying lady from the circus using the see-saw.
Audrey
I think I like this one even more than Betsy-Tacy. Maud's descriptions are balm to my soul. For example: “It was June, and the world smelled of roses. The sunshine was like powdered gold over the grassy hillside” (p. 4). Such a beautiful turn of phrase. I also really love all of her descriptions of wildflowers and sunsets. :)

For some of the things they did, like the flying (Chapter 2 and 3), I thought that it seemed a bit odd that eight-year-olds wouldn’t know that you can’t fly. But perhaps the
Lydia
Dec 23, 2016 Lydia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The continuing adventures of Betsy, Tacy and Tib as they become a year older, face illness and form a club.

The "flavor" of these books is a lot like the old Bobbsey Twins, Happy Hollisters or Original Nancy Drew's. Meaning Americana, that feels like it could have just happened, then has something occur that almost causes culture shock for being so foreign. Like when one of the girls get's sick and her entire family is in quarantine in their house or when one of the girls' fathers says she could

Sunhi
May 26, 2011 Sunhi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-shelf
After reading the first book, I decided to immediately get the second book from the library. While I'm happy that I've continued to read, I wasn't as into Betsy-Tacy and Tib. I think with the addition of Tib, I realized something -- I didn't really enjoy Tacy as much as I adored Betsy and Tib! Betsy's imaginative nature and Tib's pragmatic nature are extremes that play off well against each other and make them fun to read. Tacy's defining trait of shyness isn't as enjoyable to read though I did ...more
Anna
Oct 12, 2009 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Betsy-Tacy and Tib, the second book in the beloved Betsy-Tacy series, was originally published in 1941. Betsy, Tacy, and Tib are 8 years old now. Betsy and Tacy have been friends for 3 years, and they’ve been friends with Tib for 2 years. Their friendship is quarrel-free, but that doesn’t mean they don’t get into their fair share of trouble. Like Betsy-Tacy, Betsy-Tacy and Tib lacks a major plot and is comprised of mini adventures. Nevertheless, this book was ever more entertaining than the firs ...more
Irene
Aug 09, 2013 Irene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Elementary school aged girls
Shelves: children
A nice follow-up to Betsy-Tacy, though a bit less believable.

In the beginning, the author acknowledges that many grown-ups think, "Two little girls often do play nicely, but just let a third one come around... then the trouble begins!" Yet, Betsy, Tacy, and Tib never quarrel, and it's not exactly clear why not, except that they must be the three most good-natured girls ever to live in the same neighborhood!

Two years have passed since the girls first met, and they are now 8 years old. Isabelle w
Emily
May 22, 2011 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Emily by: mom
Update on June 14, 2015: It is hard to believe that this book was published in 1941! It is still popular today for good reasons. Maud Hart Lovelace can manage to write so beautifully that her books become a home. That is how I feel when I read them (and it probably explains why I have re-read them at least ten times now!!). In this book in the beloved series, Betsy and Tacy have been joined by Tib. Now at the age of eight, the three of them are getting into all sorts of adventures together. It i ...more
  • All-of-a-Kind Family Downtown (All-of-a-Kind Family, #4)
  • The Betsy-Tacy Companion: A Biography of Maud Hart Lovelace
  • Spiderweb for Two: A Melendy Maze
  • "B" Is for Betsy
  • Dancing Shoes (Shoes, #9)
  • The Moffats (The Moffats, #1)
  • In the High Valley (Carr Family, #5)
  • Understood Betsy
  • The Best-Loved Doll
  • The Secret Language
  • A Garland for Girls
Maud Hart Lovelace was born on April 25, 1892, in Mankato, Minnesota. She was the middle of three children born to Thomas and Stella (Palmer) Hart. Her sister, Kathleen, was three years older, and her other sister, Helen, was six years younger. “That dear family" was the model for the fictional Ray family.

Maud’s birthplace was a small house on a hilly residential street several blocks above Mankat
More about Maud Hart Lovelace...

Betsy-Tacy (10 books)
  • Betsy-Tacy (Betsy-Tacy, #1)
  • Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill (Betsy-Tacy, #3)
  • Betsy and Tacy Go Downtown (Betsy-Tacy, #4)
  • Heaven to Betsy (Betsy-Tacy, #5)
  • Betsy in Spite of Herself (Betsy-Tacy, #6)
  • Betsy Was a Junior (Betsy-Tacy, #7)
  • Betsy and Joe (Betsy-Tacy, #8)
  • Betsy and the Great World (Betsy-Tacy, #9)
  • Betsy's Wedding (Betsy-Tacy, #10)

“It was June, and the world smelled of roses. The sunshine was like powdered gold over the grassy hillside.” 169 likes
“In silence the three of them looked at the sunset and thought about God.” 35 likes