Start by marking “Civil War: Iron Man” as Want to Read:
Civil War: Iron Man

Civil War: Iron Man (Marvel Civil War)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  3,080 ratings  ·  61 reviews
Two tales of suspense ripped from the pages of Civil War Captain America has fallen into a clash with his government and his friends, and the people close to him are paying the price. The life of Cap's girlfriend, Agent 13, is torn apart as her superiors use her divided loyalties against her. Elsewhere, a new villain emerges; the Red Skull begins to make himself known; and ...more
Published June 20th 2007 by Marvel (first published June 6th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Civil War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Civil War

Nikki
Marvel's Civil War crossover event is harrowing enough to begin with, but this one really made it personal for me. It's just... ow. More than anything else I've read in the Marvel comics, this shows the strength and passion of the friendship between Steve and Tony. 'The Confession' in the last part is especially heart-wrenching, but the desperate need both of them have to prove their point to the other and bring them round to their point of view... ow, ow, ow.

It's also helpful for understanding
Asher
This is definitely my favourite book out of all the tie-in Civil War comics, especially with the Captain America & Iron Man specials. After reading the Iron Man tie-in issues, I have so much feels for Tony, it's absolutely excruciating.

Tony Stark simply wanted what's best for them, America, & the world. The Cap didn't share his views. The discovery that was revealed in Civil War: Frontlines #11 about Tony quite literally broke my heart. Everything that had been said & done during th
Becky

MAJOR SPOILER UPCOMING
This hurt me so much. It's basically everything I've been saying about Tony from the start. He thought he was right, he fought for what he believed was right. He was trying to save the most lives he could, and he stuck to his convictions. But it didn't matter. No matter how hard he tried, it all went sideways anyway.
He did what Cap told him to, he stuck by what he believed was right, and he got destroyed because of it.

And in the end...

It wasn't worth it.
Gabrielle.
Can't wait to see the movie.
Mely
The book that launched a thousand Cap/Iron Man shippers.
Kyle
This book is has all the things I hate about modern superhero comics. The book is a collection of a few disjointed comic book issues that take place during the Civil War story arc Marvel was doing a few years ago. The problem is that each individual issue is completely unrelated to the other issues. There is no overarching story except that Iron Man is kinda mad at Captain America and vice versa. What's worse is that nothing gets resolved in the end. I guess Marvel expects you to buy every comic ...more
Brad
Iron Man comes across as the bad guy in Mark Millar's Civil War, and this book tries to cast a more heroic light on him. Still, it's hard for the writers to fully get behind his stance and say "yeah, let's all surrender our freedoms!"
The book starts and ends with good one-shots examining the relationship between Iron Man and Captain America. I'm not a huge Avengers fan, so it was nice to see that these characters, which have been stalwarts of the team for over 40 years, do have some history. The
Trebro
Want the short review? Tony Stark is a dick.

This is the feeling you get from all of the stories collected here, even if the idea is to give you Tony's perspective on the Civil War. It reads like the ramblings of a man who has to defend his actions even though he knows they are wrong.

When Happy Hogan has to give you a half-assed answer to the question "am I wrong?" and that's the strongest thing you can go with--you're part human, you know how we feel--then your issue is in big trouble.

Tony flail
Trin
Another comic I picked up for the emotionally resonant reason of “the library had it.” There were some good things about it. The first virtually stand-alone story, which is almost entirely about Tony Stark/Iron Man’s relationship with Steve Rogers/Captain America, was my favorite: you got a good sense of the dynamic between those two guys (and in my case, a new interest in the idea of seeing them make out). The other issues included in this volume had strong points, too, but the whole thing was ...more
amelia cavendish
The artwork is gorgeous in this collection of four stories from a civil war storyline that Marvel must had done in the past, which I must admit I have no prior knowledge of. Not that that mattered for me, as I was reading it to get more of an insight into the characters of Iron Man, Tony Stark, and Captain America, Steve Rogers and their 'friendship'. What? I am a slasher, after all ;-)!

The first story 'Rubicon' sees Tony and Steve on opposite sides of the war against superhero registration, wit
Stephen
As an old Iron Man fan, I really enjoyed the first story presented here - basically it's Tony Stark and Steve Rogers talking and going over their old battles. Despite not regularly reading superhero comics for about 20 years (but still taking a peak once in a while) I remembered most of the incidents between the characters. I was impressed at how these events are recontextualised for the Civil War arc - they didn't change the originals, but managed to fit them into a wider context in a believabl ...more
Matt
Great addition to the story. I really feel for Iron Man. Still siding with Captain America though. I do see his point. Art was great. Story was even better.
NO. EVERYTHING HURTS.
Sineala
So I walked out of Captain America: The Winter Soldier... and I wanted to read all about Cap and Iron Man in the comics. Yeah. Whoops. I still don't even know how that happened.

Here I am beginning by throwing myself into the middle of Marvel at semi-random (after a bunch of browing Wikipedia, anyway), because it sounded like Civil War was a highly relevant thing if you cared about Steve and Tony's relationship, because Amazon didn't have the mainline Civil War book in stock, and because I appare
Angelica
ShAdOwBrEaK *Just*Try*And*Know*Who*I*Am*
Apr 26, 2013 ShAdOwBrEaK *Just*Try*And*Know*Who*I*Am* rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to ShAdOwBrEaK by: Andrea Castillo
For people who does not know:

(view spoiler)
Noah Soudrette
This is the Civil War tie in volume for the Iron MAn series. While I really didn't care for Civil War, this is a great little graphic novel (if you can set your Civil War distaste aside). The first story is a one shot conversation between Cap. and Iron Man about all their disagreements in the past. It's pretty fun and puts their current fight into context.

The second storyline involves the beginning of a developing, long term plot, and the death of Pepper Potts' boyfriend. Tony Stark is forced t
Jenevieve
Probably the most powerfully written of all the Civil War spin-offs. There is a lot of Iron Man and Captain America talking, remembering, and trying to figure out how to stop the war without either side actually giving in. There is also bits of Tony's dealing with trying to wage the war. The last story, "The Confession", is easily the most powerful of the whole thing. It is Tony sitting by himself telling how he knew what was coming, what he did to try and prevent it, and his feelings on how it ...more
Matt
Hmm.
Five stars because the writers' handling of Tony Stark and his emotional battles really impressed me and I thought these few stories were really solid, rich pieces.
One star because this book makes absolutely no sense to someone who has no prior knowledge of Civil War. Sure, we get cursory explanations of what's been going on... but I think Marvel just made a huge mistake compiling the Civil War collection like they did. While I'm interested to go read more, I'm really sad that my reading ord
Federiken Masters
Dec 20, 2011 Federiken Masters rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans de las macrosagas
Recommended to Federiken by: Que estaba a mano
Ufff... La verdad que no recuerdo si leí el 100% de este libro o si me faltó el último capítulo, o por ahí. Sí recuerdo que la mayoría de los dibujos estaban muy pero muy bien y que el conjunto de la historia me pareció bastante bien llevado. Lejos de Civil War (la principal) en calidad, pero casi a la par del especial de los Cuatro Fantásticos, que creo que fue el "complemento" al macroevento que más me gustó. Cuando se me ocurra algo que decir sobre algún capítulo en especial o algo parecido, ...more
Zoli
I enjoyed reading Civil War and Captain America's side of the story so I felt it would be interesting to read Iron Man's version of things aroud Civil War. The stories collected in this volume are interesting, and they add some quite important aspects to the whole Civil War run, but for some reason I couldn't get any further into Iron Man/Tony Stark as a character. Reading this, I was reading it to learn more about the whole Civil War story, not to read an Iron Man comic. I like the movies with ...more
Mitchell
Hopefully somewhere out there is a coherent book that actually tells the story of the Marvel Civil War. I've yet to find it, and this certainly wasn't it. It had pieces of it - some of the beginning and the middle and the end. A lot of it was just talking between Iron Man and Captain America. But in the end it was too incoherent to be enjoyable. The pieces were good but the whole just was unbelievable.
Kenyatta Garcia
This might be the best chapter in the Civil War series thus far.
Megan Sanchez
A collection of issues from the Civil War event. If you're looking for the entire Civil War story, you're going to have a bad time. But if you're looking to get deeper into the characters of Iron Man and Captain America and their relationship, you're going to be the happiest kid on the playground. Like the other "character" Civil War collections, Civil War: Iron Man collects a couple of one-shot issues and a couple Iron Man issues that took place during Civil War.

Also, this book will turn you i
SA
To be honest this book mostly just served to remind me of everything I hated about Civil War. Tony Stark is an asshole, sure, but usually his assholery is of an inward nature, not external. I just didn't believe what he was saying to Cap; and that's the fundamental problem with this storyline.

ETA 2012: Grudging third star because it read better in the whole read-through than out of it. Still extremely frustrating. See also Civil War.
Michael
I am intrigued.
Nell
GROSS SOBBING.
Candy
Jun 17, 2010 Candy added it
Shelves: comics
A lot people have complained that this particular comic was bad but for once I would like to say that it was pretty darn good ... As a devoted Tony stark fan I am always on his side but we all know how big his ego is and how he thinks he is king of the world but that is exactly why he is one of the best. He shows how much he cares about his fellow superheros and how they should be properly trained. Captain America is just being another show off and that is why he is not one of my favorites...
I have been trying to read the Civil War series. Some are good--this one was disappointing. Mostly it consists of the characters standing (or sitting) around and talking about their feelings or their past. The book in itself was reflection upon reflection upon reflection. Sadly I think I read this book out of order. I didn't know about many of the things that happened toward the end of the war that were reflected upon at the end of this book. Thanks for the spoilers.
Taylor Troncin
Really 4.5 / 5 ...

The story made me angry - and occasionally that's a good thing.

Maybe I'm not as sad as I should be since I'm reading these out of order ...
  • Civil War: Captain America
  • Civil War: Wolverine
  • Civil War: New Avengers
  • Civil War: X-Men Universe
  • Civil War: Ms. Marvel
  • Iron Man: Director Of S.H.I.E.L.D.
  • Civil War: Young Avengers/Runaways
  • Fallen Son: The Death of Captain America
  • Civil War: Heroes for Hire
  • Civil War
  • Civil War: Thunderbolts
Chris Gage is a writer for comic books and television.
More about Christos Gage...
Avengers Academy, Vol 1: Permanent Record Angel & Faith: Live Through This, Part 1 (Angel & Faith, #1) Angel & Faith: Live Through This (Angel & Faith, #1) World War Hulk: X-Men Angel & Faith: Daddy Issues (Angel & Faith, #2)