Start by marking “The Cello of Mr. O” as Want to Read:
The Cello of Mr. O

The Cello of Mr. O

When a concert cellist plays in the square for his neighbors in a war-besieged city, his priceless instrument is destroyed by a mortar shell, but he finds the courage to return the next day to perform with a harmonica.
Published September 1st 1999 by Dutton Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about The Cello of Mr. O, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cello of Mr. O

Terri
Jul 06, 2016 Terri rated it really liked it
Having just finished the astounding "Pax" by Sara Pennybaker and the equally as stunning "Salt to the Sea" by Ruta Septys, I found "The Cello of Mr. O" by Jane Cutler to be an excellent companion piece to both. All deal with the harsh consequences of war as seen through the eyes of some of the innocent victims of war - children.

Left behind while the men, including her father, are off fighting the war, a young girl tells of the accompanying fears and suffering and loss that she and other children
Samantha Zapata
Sep 08, 2016 Samantha Zapata rated it it was amazing
The cover of this book is very deceiving. I thought this was going to be a heart warming story about a little girl who found the passion to play a cello. That theory quickly turned around as I was wrong. They story is about a little girl who is stuck in a war zone city. There are run down buildings and glass in the streets. No one has heat or electricity. The only time her and her family go outside is to go fetch water because they have none. Mr. O and older man who lives in her family's ...more
Michael Fitzgerald
Apr 19, 2015 Michael Fitzgerald rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
How on earth could anyone publish this book without including mention of the real-life cellist of Sarajevo? Just stupid. Probably should hunt down Echoes from the Square which was produced with the real cellist's cooperation.
Rosie Harris
Dec 03, 2012 Rosie Harris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book about how music can keep you going even at the worst of times. During an unnamed war a young girl's neighborhood is cut off from supplies but one of her neighboors plays music for them everyday to improve everyones spirits. I would use this book to talk to my class about courage, and about how one small act can make a big difference for someone.
JustOneMoreBook.com
This straightforward story of hardship and hope reminds us that war may not deter human weakness but neither can it deter human strength.

Listen to our chat about this book on our JustOneMoreBook.com Children's Book Podcast:

Morgan
Jul 07, 2012 Morgan rated it it was amazing
I cried when I read this book to my children. It was so bleak to read about a worn torn town where hope was diminishing on a daily basis, yet the story itself was so powerful and uplifting, a wonderful glimpse into the power of humanity and kindness.
The Brothers
Jan 22, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
While a good book, this is definitely one for older kids - not so much my four year old. It's about war and loss and devastation, but also courage and the indomitable human spirit.

The illustrations are beautiful.
Shannon
Aug 27, 2007 Shannon rated it it was amazing
One of my very favorite children's books. A bittersweet story with beautiful illustrations. It isn't a typical children's book. It's quite unlike any other children's book I've read... but I love it.
Izzy Jarvis
Sep 30, 2014 Izzy Jarvis rated it really liked it
Mary
Sep 16, 2014 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a beautiful book about the courage and inspiration of one man and his impact on the people around him.
Monica
Monica rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2015
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2014
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2009
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2011
Ellen
Sep 25, 2015 Ellen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book made me cry, a rare thing.
Beverly
Beverly rated it liked it
May 10, 2012
Maureen Hickey
Maureen Hickey rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2014
Briney Ferry
Briney Ferry rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2007
Taiyou
Taiyou rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Megan Cain
Megan Cain rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2015
Audrey
Audrey rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2011
Cammi Carpenter
Cammi Carpenter rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2011
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2011
Sharon
Sharon rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2014
Dotty
Jan 19, 2011 Dotty rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
In a war torn city, Mr. O raises the spirit and courage of his neighbors with his music
Fats
Fats rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2014
Melanie
Melanie rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2010
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2008
jeannine
jeannine rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2014
Vickie
Vickie rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2013