Start by marking “Banana Hammock - A Harry McGlade Mystery (A "Write Your Own Damn Story" Adventure)” as Want to Read:

Read eBook* *Different edition

Banana Hammock - A Harry McGlade Mystery (Harry McGlade Mystery)

Formatted expressly for Nook!

Private Detective Harry McGlade is hired by an Amish woman who suspects her husband is cheating on her. Going undercover into their community, Harry must untangle a web of lies and deception to find the truth. This will be his biggest challenge yet. Because Harry McGlade is an idiot.

Lead Harry through a series of comic misadventures and bad pun
Nook, 0 pages
Published February 3rd 2011 by Joe Konrath (first published September 11th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Banana Hammock - A Harry McGlade Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Banana Hammock - A Harry McGlade Mystery

Georgiann Hennelly
Banana Hammock is a fascinating read reminded me of the Goosebumps books my children used to read, in Banana Hammock you get to choose the ending what you want Harry Mcglade to do or , have happen to him.I kept going back and forth to read the other option. At times i laughed so hard tears came to my eyes . A throughly enjoyable read. I highly recommend it.
The first few pages of this "choose your own adventure for adults" were hilarious. But the novelty and hilarity wore off after flipping back and forth to follow each story. Most of the stories were quite short and some of the endings too abrupt, it seemed as if the author had used up the requisite number of pages for the story and simply said to himself "right, this is the last page. How can I finish the story in a few sentences?" I wouldn't bother reading another of this type of book if I saw i ...more
Erica
Jul 09, 2011 Erica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book, read-in-2011
not my favorite Konrath book, but It was a choose-your-own-adventure, and how could I pass that down?! it was totally cheesy and full of stereotypes, but he does warn of that in the beginning of the book
Aliya DalRae
Aug 08, 2012 Aliya DalRae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This was absolutely the most absurd, rediculous, confounding, over-the-top, laugh-out-loud, embarrasingly entertaining piece of literature (ok, I use the term "literature" extrememely loosely) that I have ever read. A "choose-your-progress" book where you are given options to decied what happens next, and each option is more outrageous than the last. And when Konrath blatently warns on the first page that it will be raunchy and offensive, he is not making a gentle suggestion - he's flat out seri ...more
Susie Lindeberg
Nov 20, 2010 Susie Lindeberg rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Get the sampler first. I didn't & it may have prevented me from wasting $3. I had never read a "write your own story" book, so the idea intrigued me. I'd read Draculas & Serial Uncut & liked the humor in those, so I bought it. The absurdity in this book is like the movie "Airplane" on steroids & detracted from the story line. I spent ~7 minutes with this book & decided it wasn't even worth finishing. (I'd already passed over a "jump to the end" option, still trying to give th ...more
Vickie Garner
Jul 11, 2012 Vickie Garner rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I love Konrath but this book included bits from his other reads, and really lame directions of the story. This was a write your own story type where you could, as a reader, select different directions to go with the story line. In the newer bits, Harry was a part of his old self but seemed to have a different persona. Before, he was a dick in so many ways but he cared about getting the job done. Now he's just a dick out for tail. I was devastated. I waited for so long to get to this book...
Kat
Mar 04, 2013 Kat rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, did-not-finish
I thought this would be a book in the style of JA Konraths other novels but with the "choose your own adventure" angle and I was super excited.

Instead it was just this story where every sentence was like...smart ass? I'm not sure how to describe it. But not my cup of tea. I couldn't even get through the first few "options" before I decided it wasn't for me.
Gina
Apr 16, 2011 Gina rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook, read-in-2011
I used to love "Write Your Own Adventure" stories when I was a kid and jumped at the chance to download this one when my local library offered it. It was funny, and quirky, I loved the puns scattered throughout. The only thing is it was never interesting or exciting. A disappointing read but I love the concept for adults.
Bethica
Dec 26, 2011 Bethica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
Now this one gets 5 stars for being overly creative and giving me lots of laughs. The story wasn't great and the puns are definately absurd but the fun factor of this book was excellent! They definately need to do more in this sort of adult choose your own end book and I totally give Konrath props for making this work!
Elizabeth
I think I should have added this one to the list of "to-read someday" for when I was more in the right mindset for it... The foreword or whatever did mention that it would have something to offend everybody. I wasn't offended, but it was... silly. too silly for me right now. I will probably go back to it someday, when I'm in the mood for such a book, but for now... enh.
Angela Mcvay
Jan 13, 2011 Angela Mcvay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only way this book would possibly make sense is if you read and enjoyed J.A. Konrath's Jack Daniels series starting with the first book, Whiskey Sour. Harry McGlade is hilarious with his raunchy sick sense of humor. I liked choosing every few pages on what Harry would do next. If you don't like McGlade's idiotic sense of humor this book is definitely not for you.
Rhonda
I really enjoyed this book. It is fun for adults to have their own shoes your own adventure book. This book had me chuckling all the way through it and it is a book that kept me entertained for days. Good job J.A. Konrath.
Terri
Feb 11, 2013 Terri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While the "write your own" format was amusing, the book was a little too over-the-top irreverant for me.............and I'm pretty tolerant! LOL........so I didn't finish it and I didn't enjoy it. Sorry..............I do really like the Jack Daniels series....
Darcy
Jun 24, 2011 Darcy rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2011, e-book, mystery
I have always hated Harry when he shows up in the Jack Daniels books. Within in this book he is a buffoon. I thought the pick your choice option might be interesting, not so much, each option was more absurd and ridiculous than the last. Not worth the time to read.
Shannon
May 07, 2011 Shannon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I really wanted to enjoy this. I did get some hearty chuckles out of the the first few sections I read, but it ceased to be enjoyable -- even despite hearing Garrison Keillor as Guy Noir inside my head as I read, which was kind of awesome.
Rabid Readers Reviews
I love Konrath's writing and wanted to like this but didn't. I don't know if it was in choosing my own adventure, I killed Harry or the feeling that maybe this was an on trend fun thing that was just meant to be overtly silly...and it was. It just was not to my taste.
Kevin  Kempf
Dec 22, 2013 Kevin Kempf rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh Harry is such a sick sick dude. You can't help but love him!
Oct 13, 2012 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was different. Maybe I was choosing the wrong decisions to make this story interesting. I guess I'm more in need of substance! The witt was funny tho, which I did enjoy!
Josef
Oct 12, 2010 Josef rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, read-in-2010
A little too cheesey for me...
Janet
Apr 17, 2013 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
This was so much fun! I remember as a chile checking out a series of books from the library that let you choose your own adventure - this took me back to that delight.
I totally loved it!
Amanda Schoenhofer
This book is currently free for amazon kindle http://www.amazon.com/Banana-Hammock-...
Kelly
I thought a Choose Your Own Adventure ebook for adults sounded interesting, but it was very cumbersome on my 2-year-old Kindle and I couldn't get into it. Props for innovation.
Ashley
Cute.

A nice way to fill the time in between books.
Edward
Aug 18, 2013 Edward rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The writing is probably only three star (Konrath is usually in the 4-5 range) but I gave this a four stars just for creativity.
Riz
Mar 23, 2012 Riz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVE the one liners !
Michele Crane
I never really finished this book, it jumped around too much and was a stupid book, so I just quit reading it.
Traci Cohen
Mar 14, 2013 Traci Cohen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was quite funny. It is extremely gross and has a lot of potty humor, so if you dislike that sort of thing then this is not the book for you.
Starla B
Apr 15, 2013 Starla B rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a huge fan of the Harry McGlade character, so I should have known this wouldn't be for me. I love the choose your own adventure types of stories, but just couldn't get over the silliness.
Sharper1
Aug 19, 2011 Sharper1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Punny and witty. Fun, quick read. A choose-your-own-adventure book for grown-ups. Interesting!
Kristen
Kristen rated it it was ok
Mar 31, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • *69
  • The Adventures of Whatley Tupper
  • Truck Stop
  • Bump in the Night
  • Murder on the Quai (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #16)
  • Curve Crazy (Plus Size Loving, #1-9)
  • An Unusual Journey Through Royal History, Volume I (Unusual History, #1)
  • Aces Wild (Angels Avengers #1)
  • Manna From Heaven
  • Kiss Me or Die
  • Other Than Murder (Frank Quinn #3.5)
  • Tall Tail (Mrs. Murphy, #25)
JA Konrath writes the occasionally amusing and often frightening Lt. Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels thrillers, available in hardcover and paperback from Hyperion and as a spoken word from Brilliance Audio.

The books are a mixture of the humor of Janet Evanovich, Carl Hiaasen, Christopher Moore, but with the scares of James Patterson, Thomas Harris, Patricia Cornwell.

Basically, JA rips off everybody.

In o
More about J.A. Konrath...

Harry McGlade Mystery (2 books)
  • Babe on Board (Harry McGlade Mystery)