Start by marking “Men at Work” as Want to Read:
Men at Work

Men at Work

Ian Greening loves his job.He loves it so much he won't even take a promotion. He'd rather muck around with his workmates.
Published February 1st 2011 by Hodder & Stoughton

To ask other readers questions about Men at Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Men at Work

Alice
Mar 10, 2011 Alice rated it did not like it
Shelves: humour
Quick Read? More like Thick Read. Don't dumb down the plot and language just because you're writing a shorter book.
Alice Florence
Apr 17, 2015 Alice Florence rated it liked it
Short and sweet story about a man who's missus starts work in the same office. Passed an hour quite nicely.
Rob Wildey
Oct 11, 2016 Rob Wildey rated it it was ok
I feel harsh giving this book two stars. I'm going to rectify it by saying it is a 'good two'. I look at the books I have awarded three stars and then compare them to this.

To kill an hour, this book is entertaining. The plot is simple - as it should be in a short book. I liked the fact it was set in Birmingham, my home city. And because of that, I could picture the scene when he described places such as 'Five Ways' and 'Bearwood'. And when he referred to my football club too, I was on board.

Al
Susan Barnes
Jan 01, 2015 Susan Barnes rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult-fiction
Men at work was a surprising book for me, probably because it comes from a very male perspective. Mike Gayle creates a story that examines a man's connection with his job.

Gayle's main character, Ian loves his job, though really it is the camaraderie he loves. Ian enjoys being with people and the relationships with the other staff which often continues after work. He even refuses a promotion because he doesn't want to change the work relationships he currently experiences.

When his girlfriend, Emm
Aileen
Mar 23, 2011 Aileen rated it it was amazing
School sweethearts, Ian and Emma have been together 7 years, Ian loves his job, so much he won’t accept promotion, and is a bit of a joker, he likes a laugh and to be “one of the lads”.
One night after coming home from the Pub Emma announces she has lost her job, she is really upset.
Emma manages to get another job, but it is temping in Ian’s office, for a month, Ian is not impressed he is a different person at work and Emma is at the next desk to him, after her month she is offered a job permanen
Safron Mitchelson
Jun 22, 2011 Safron Mitchelson rated it really liked it
A fun little quick read for those no brain moments.

Ian Greening loves his job. He loves it so much he won't even take a promotion. He'd rather much about with his workmates.
The other love of his life is girlfriend Emma. They've been together for years. The problems start when Emma loses her job and gets a new one in Ian's office. Ian doesn't like it at all. No more mucking about. No more flirting with the girls in admin. Ian wants her out. The question is, how? Can he do it without losing her or
Michelle
Jun 23, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it
One of the Quick Reads series, a simple and somewhat predictable story but an amusing read nonetheless.

With elements of work, romance and human destruction thus may be short, but it is a good and fun read.

I've read Mike Gayle before and I enjoy his style of writing very much. If you haven't read Mike's books I suggest you give this one a try.

Thanks Mike for writing this, I'll look forward to reading more of your work soon.
Agi
May 11, 2011 Agi rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
Quick read. It was a real quick read:) A pity, that it was soooo quick. I could read Mike everyday, everytime. His usual light, but also deep, writing. I didn't like Emma at the beginning and I understood why Ian has done this what he's done, but at the end Emma has rehabilitated herself.
I really love Mike, after reading his book I can a little understand how are men's minds working and what they really think:) Waiting impatiently for his next book.
Sheli
Jan 10, 2012 Sheli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first Mike Gayle book I have read and decided to start with a short story after reading loads of good reviews of his work.

I really enjoyed this book and was able to imagine the office and found it funny and heartwarming at the same time.

I will definitely be reading more from Mike Gayle and think my to-read list may have got a whole lot bigger!
Andrea
Feb 06, 2012 Andrea rated it it was ok
Shelves: borrowed, quick-reads
I found it a bit worrying when I enpathised with Ian in the story, about his need to have a separate work life to home life and his odd little routines,well I won't spoil it by saying what happens at the end, but what he did was not nice at all. I began to wonder about a follow up and began wondering what they would do next, I'll not say any more or I'll ruin it!
Den
Nov 01, 2012 Den rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen, 2012
A quick read about a guy who loves his job and who even refuses a promotion as he enjoys messing around so much but all that changes when his girlfriend loses her job and gets a new one working next to him. His life suddenly closes in around him and he starts thinking of ways to get her out of his work life. But he doesn't realise the consequences of his actions until too late.
Hil
Mar 29, 2011 Hil rated it liked it
Shelves: challenge2011
A nice quick read in his usual easy style, and I suppose it's more a fault of the length of the book when I say that there's not much plot or character building (kind of obvious really!). The story is a good mini-version of his usual books though so a nice way to spend an hour. :)
Julie
Apr 09, 2015 Julie rated it it was ok
Generally I adore Mike Gayle books and I was rather delighted to find this in the library for a quick reading session. The story is alright I suppose but sadly not written to the standard I expect from Mike Gayle.
Scott Benyacko
Feb 05, 2014 Scott Benyacko rated it it was amazing
The thing that I love about Mike Gayle is that even something short, as Men at Work is, still has all of the tension of one of his lengthier lad-lit novels. Sometimes couples just have their own spaces, as this book proves.
Wilde Sky
Jul 22, 2013 Wilde Sky rated it really liked it
A man loves his office job and the freedom that it offers him then his girlfriend gets a job there.

This short story will amuse anyone that works in an office and has an office persona / life that is separate from their home persona / life.
Ali Binxie
Dec 13, 2011 Ali Binxie rated it really liked it
A cute story at Gayle style. A couple where she,Emy loses her job and find one at his boyfruend same company. The equilibrium is broken now.
Debra
Aug 07, 2016 Debra rated it it was amazing
For a more detailed review, please visit my blog -

Debra's Book Cafe

Debs
Brigitte
May 18, 2012 Brigitte rated it it was amazing
Read all of Mike Gayle's novels! They're funny, well written and you can drop it once you've started, rather like Pringles!
Cláudia
May 27, 2011 Cláudia rated it liked it
As the name says, a quick read. Also an enjoyable one, funny, sweet. As expected from good ol' Mike :)
Lynne - The Book Squirrel
Apr 15, 2011 Lynne - The Book Squirrel rated it it was amazing
A very nice read of about 85 pages one of the Quick Read books. Light hearted and funny with a serious theme going through it.
Lynda
3.5 stars.

A good little read for those no brainier moments, like a flight! Easy to read writing style but the subject matter a little light.
Angela Andrews
Angela Andrews rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2016
Mrs Rebecca Abbott
Mrs Rebecca Abbott rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Heidi Zelenak
Heidi Zelenak rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2015
Jane
Jun 23, 2012 Jane rated it really liked it
Great quick read, read in a afternoon.
Nick
Nick rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2014
Ailsa Britain
Ailsa Britain rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2014
Eric
Eric rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2011
Alistair Pyke
Alistair Pyke rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Life According To Lubka
  • Being Human
  • Couch Fiction: A Graphic Tale of Psychotherapy
  • Waterlog
  • Seesaw
  • Stop What You're Doing and Read This!
  • A Winter Book
  • Construct A Couple (Serenity Holland, #2)
  • Kismetology
  • Horse Play
  • The Case of the Caretaker: A Short Story (Miss Marple)
  • Gin O'Clock
  • The Love Letter
  • All She Wants
  • Pear Shaped
  • The Accidental Proposal (Ed & Dan, #3)
  • Ricky Gervais Presents: The World of Karl Pilkington
  • It's Not Me, It's You
I was born in the 70s — the 70s were great. I would recommend them to anyone.

I was also born in Birmingham — in my humble opinion the greatest city in the world with the nicest people too.

I used to live in London — a great city too. But a bit on the pricey side.

I also used to live in Manchester — another great city (although technically I lived in Salford which is next door but that’s sort of spli
More about Mike Gayle...